PDA

View Full Version : Poll $750/week Disaster Payment (yay/nay)?

bistro
29-07-2021, 04:36 AM
With the recent increase for Covid19 Disaster Payment in NSW to $750/week now, how does brothers here feel about that?

I know it is nothing, knowing in sydney, we need at least $1600/week to survive with mortgage, bill, and family. Of course, it is different case for younger people who doesnt feel the burden yet.

Ive been getting mixed feelings about this because I am not eligible, but at the same time, knowing that our tax will increase once covid19 finished, and not getting my hands on this free money now meaning i am literally donating a.t.m.

warwick1
29-07-2021, 07:24 AM
Well it's better than nothing and a lot more than the pension (I get neither).....

29-07-2021, 09:08 AM
With the recent increase for Covid19 Disaster Payment in NSW to $750/week now, how does brothers here feel about that?

I know it is nothing, knowing in sydney, we need at least $1600/week to survive with mortgage, bill, and family. Of course, it is different case for younger people who doesnt feel the burden yet.

Ive been getting mixed feelings about this because I am not eligible, but at the same time, knowing that our tax will increase once covid19 finished, and not getting my hands on this free money now meaning i am literally donating a.t.m.

There is no fee money everyone will be paying for this for the rest of our lives but I hear what you are saying I don't get anything myself

ivies555
29-07-2021, 09:11 AM
Yeah, I don’t get anything either

suka02
29-07-2021, 09:31 AM
at least it’s way better than JK or JS. They were 550-600. It’s not long to go till 4 weeks will end. I saved more money staying home without travel, petrol, buying outside food. I calculated that i had only spent 500 in groceries and bit of take away food since start of 1month lockdown. Normally i spent 250-300 per week in just food & petrol.

GoldfishMan
29-07-2021, 12:49 PM
at least it’s way better than JK or JS. They were 550-600. It’s not long to go till 4 weeks will end. I saved more money staying home without travel, petrol, buying outside food. I calculated that i had only spent 500 in groceries and bit of take away food since start of 1month lockdown. Normally i spent 250-300 per week in just food & petrol.
There were 239 new cases today. Still think we're gonna be out of this in 4 weeks? It's looking like an exponential curve now.

CountryPunter
29-07-2021, 12:58 PM
No chance this will be over in 4 weeks. At the current rate there will be 500 new cases per day in a fortnight.

There is going to need to be a lot more support offered before this is all over.

limbi8888
29-07-2021, 12:58 PM
There were 239 new cases today. Still think we're gonna be out of this in 4 weeks? It's looking like an exponential curve now.

Will blow out for a while still, the protestor influx hasn't yet come to fruit.
my prediction is we will be locked down a further mth the way things are going.
Getting bored now but other than that its not too bad.

All in all $750 a week is bloody awesome, its not like that kind of money just drops outta the sky for you

Raffiz88
29-07-2021, 01:03 PM
Bye bye exit from lockdown. I think we will be slapped with another 4 weeks of lockdown.
Things are not looking good 😰

Vader
29-07-2021, 01:07 PM

I said a while back that this will go into October maybe even November

suka02
29-07-2021, 01:17 PM
didn’t expect to be 239 this morning. Thought was ranging 100-150. We failed it from the start had it too easy on things.
Lot people will go crazy mentally for this longer lockdown, i dont mind myself. I don’t have business or credit card/loan. Infact with the gov. i intend to save lot more. Will have a blast in spending when this is over.

warwick1
29-07-2021, 01:32 PM
I said a while back that this will go into October maybe even November

Yep, I wouldn't mind getting a haircut at some time..take care, A 70 year old man with a mullet is not a good look, like an old man wearing headphones......

limbi8888
29-07-2021, 01:42 PM
Yep, I wouldn't mind getting a haircut at some time..take care, A 70 year old man with a mullet is not a good look, like an old man wearing headphones......

i was just looking its been 6mths since i got a haircut but i'm just lucky my hair is slow lol

MDPorto
29-07-2021, 02:20 PM
Haven't read into the news too deeply as yet today...

When do these increased disaster payments 'expire'? That will give an indication around how much 'scope' the state government has to continue the lockdown.

239 new cases today, 66 of which were infectious while out the in community.

Some sections of the media already reporting that the 'Crisis Cabinet' is already talking about what September might look like in terms of an extended lockdown.

Percentages of the overall population vs those who are infected / in hospital / have died are what?

There is no leadership. The alternatives at both State/Federal level is Labor? Wow...

The majority of these cases are mild. If people aren't getting the message based on what has happened over the last 18 months to be respectful of their personal hygiene and how it can affect others around you, then we really are a selfish society.

I'm happy to go and get vaccinated at the earliest opportunity, but at the moment that is no guarantee that is going to keep me and the rest of society out of lockdown.

These lockdowns are bulls*** - there is something much bigger at play here than prevention, cure and reduction in spread of a virus.

Even when we get our vaccination rates up to the same levels as some other countries around the world (mainly UK and US) - and then we still get 1000s of new transmissions daily once the shackles are off, do we really trust these idiots in State Parliaments across the country not to lockdown again in panic and also hard close borders? I certainly don't - again they aren't real leaders. They've show time and time again via National Cabinet that they don't care what mandates may be made or suggested at the Federal level and they are in it to protect their own interests.

If NSW is truly the 'gold standard' for managing this pandemic - then how about we stop this fear mongering at the 11am press conferences every day (is that really all they do each day - write the fear script in preparation for the 11am PC) and realise that we are not going to 'zero'. What is our plan to co-exist with this? Get on with it Gladys !! The economy of our city & state cannot stay in lockdown any longer than the 28th August. You've got one month...

adahar
29-07-2021, 02:43 PM
MDPorto: Percentages of the overall population vs those who are infected / in hospital / have died are what?

Quick link to answer this question. Vaccination rates are on another link. It's a bit tricky to assess the two column charts (middle, bottom) due to the Y axis data divisions but I have accurate figures if you want them.

https://www.health.gov.au/sites/default/files/documents/2021/07/coronavirus-covid-19-at-a-glance-28-july-2021_0.pdf

dannyboy
29-07-2021, 03:06 PM
didn’t expect to be 239 this morning. Thought was ranging 100-150. We failed it from the start had it too easy on things.
Lot people will go crazy mentally for this longer lockdown, i dont mind myself. I don’t have business or credit card/loan. Infact with the gov. i intend to save lot more. Will have a blast in spending when this is over.

The government failed with its handling of international flight crew.. Responsibility lies solely on them..

adahar
29-07-2021, 03:16 PM
MDPorto: I'm happy to go and get vaccinated at the earliest opportunity, but at the moment that is no guarantee that is going to keep me and the rest of society out of lockdown.

There's quite a lot of commentary around the future when "full" vaccination is achieved. Some say it's the way out, others say it will enable us to live with the virus. There's a bit of truth in both these opinions but nobody can really make predictions as this unfolds. Regardless of how much govt desires it there will be a vaccine saturation point above which no more of the population will get vaccinated. There will always be a proportion that will be at risk.

Using the UK as an example (because they are further down the track with a broadly similar demographic) reveals some interesting sociological turns.

"Freedom Day" didn't quite pan out as everybody imagined. A part of the population are reluctant to come out of restrictions for various reasons, others embraced it but then got slapped with the news that "Vaccine Passports" were likely for entry to pubs, clubs, eateries etc. This has already been implemented in France, Italy etc.

The NHS (National Health Service) app, which is optional and based upon Bluetooth proximity, pinged thousands. 1.6 million put into 10 day isolation, disrupting services and logistics. They're now having to exempt certain people to keep things going. This is simply a "soft" self imposed lockdown.

A radio host returned form Spain and was advised by the NHS she was a casual contact of a positive case on the flight. Even though all passengers were required to take Lateral Flow tests prior to boarding she was put into isolation a week after arriving back into the UK.

The ironical thing is that she:-

a) Had Covid last year.
b) Had positive antibody tests.
c) Had double jabbed vaccination.
d) Had no symptoms.
e) Had two negative PCR tests.

The UK has 71% fully vaccinated with 88% having one jab. It's also been calculated (but no firm data) that 90% of the population have antibodies.

So if our various governments follow this philosophy (they often do) then getting back to "normal" and freedom from restrictions is years away, if ever.

dannyboy
29-07-2021, 03:30 PM
https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

According to this official site that tracks vaccination globally the UK is at 55% fully vaccinated...

adahar
29-07-2021, 06:10 PM
https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

According to this official site that tracks vaccination globally the UK is at 55% fully vaccinated...

Sorry, rather than look at an "official" site I prefer to look at an official "official" site for govt statistics as per this link:-

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations

Unless you think the govt is telling porkies, that is!

rooter
29-07-2021, 06:24 PM
Money for nothin'. Can't argue with that.

Ziggurat
29-07-2021, 08:30 PM
Money for nothing is ok, but not nearly as good as earning a lot more by working if not for the lockdown. Plus all the other benefits of engaging with the world that working brings.

DireStraits
29-07-2021, 09:19 PM
Money for nothin'. Can't argue with that.
But are the chicks for free?

dannyboy
29-07-2021, 10:04 PM
Sorry, rather than look at an "official" site I prefer to look at an official "official" site for govt statistics as per this link:-

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations

Unless you think the govt is telling porkies, that is!

The UK population is 66 million, they have administered 37 million 2nd doses (fully vaccinated) .. You do the maths...

adahar
29-07-2021, 11:14 PM
The UK population is 66 million, they have administered 37 million 2nd doses (fully vaccinated) .. You do the maths...

It's not about population. It's about those that are able to take the vaccine.

I think the UK govt website is more to be trusted than a bunch of people touting for funds by donation using real world problems to induce people into supporting their intellectual lifestyles.

Just a "charity" that appears to compile data and publish it on a fancy web page. Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that. Oh yes, that's right, I'm not an intellectual, bummer.

dannyboy
30-07-2021, 11:24 AM
It's not about population. It's about those that are able to take the vaccine.

I think the UK govt website is more to be trusted than a bunch of people touting for funds by donation using real world problems to induce people into supporting their intellectual lifestyles.

Just a "charity" that appears to compile data and publish it on a fancy web page. Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that. Oh yes, that's right, I'm not an intellectual, bummer.

You definitely aren't an intellectual

Bunty4
30-07-2021, 12:14 PM
Even when we get our vaccination rates up to the same levels as some other countries around the world (mainly UK and US) - and then we still get 1000s of new transmissions daily once the shackles are off, do we really trust these idiots in State Parliaments across the country not to lockdown again in panic and also hard close borders? I certainly don't - again they aren't real leaders. They've show time and time again via National Cabinet that they don't care what mandates may be made or suggested at the Federal level and they are in it to protect their own interests.

If NSW is truly the 'gold standard' for managing this pandemic - then how about we stop this fear mongering at the 11am press conferences every day (is that really all they do each day - write the fear script in preparation for the 11am PC) and realise that we are not going to 'zero'. What is our plan to co-exist with this? Get on with it Gladys !! The economy of our city & state cannot stay in lockdown any longer than the 28th August. You've got one month...

US reporting 50k cases a day but they have lifted these government mandated lock downs. True that 11 am briefs are scaring and intimidating tactics used for mass vaccination…. Not sure why vaccine passports and vaccine for young children is now being pushed and nsw health minister using threatening tone for those taking time to make informed decisions on should they receive vaccine. Democracy or autocracy… now military will be added in to check on mask, seriously?? Everyone sane person knows self preservation… it’s kindergarten knowledge to stay away from infection and infected. Now bros don’t jump in calling me anti vaccine or anti mask… I am neither… but dynamics and way the tone changes it’s evident that a new form of slavery is being rolled out.

adahar
30-07-2021, 01:42 PM
I think they said the ADF are being used to check on the quarantining positives and close contacts not masks. They have no power to issue fines.

Climax598
30-07-2021, 02:47 PM
I think they said the ADF are being used to check on the quarantining positives and close contacts not masks. They have no power to issue fines.
Police and ADF are doing joint check together so ADF is only assisting. Fine/arrest are issues by police.

GoldfishMan
30-07-2021, 03:17 PM
It's the ADF. I'd be more worried about bullets than fines!

xcite
30-07-2021, 03:29 PM
So if our various governments follow this philosophy (they often do) then getting back to "normal" and freedom from restrictions is years away, if ever.

Oh. Absolutely. Especially when it comes to international traveling, into and out of Aus.
The best scenerio for the next 1-2 yrs even with a majority of aussies having the vax is not having to lockdown the entire state for 50-100~ cases.
I cannot imagine big spreader events going ahead if the country has significant cases even in 2 yrs, but i feel in general we will return to how it was just before this lockdown, even with 50-100 in the country cases. It won't spread quite as easily and you'll definitely have less people in hospital.
In the event of a significant transmission risk event you might see short sharp restrictions for areas or activities.

Personally I think masks on public transport and indoor waiting rooms with alot of people should remain indefinitely, but aussies hate masks even though its the lowest cost/effort tool we have.

adahar
30-07-2021, 03:36 PM

It is quite curious than some concern was raised by reporters around the optics of having a visible military presence on the streets, but why do they have to be in obvious uniform. It's enough to have the police armed to the teeth without that.

Might have made more sense to have relaxed the uniform into something more acceptable (police as well) to show a more conciliatory approach. It seems the only thing they know how to do is to intimidate and keep the fear going.

suka02
30-07-2021, 05:04 PM
why do we need to be scared if there are enforcement in our streets? they just doing their job for idiots doing the wrong thing. Should have done it from the start. See how strict vic they were, cases got down dramatically for tackling the people doing the wrong thing. Hope this extended lockdown will end there.

adahar
30-07-2021, 05:57 PM
why do we need to be scared if there are enforcement in our streets? they just doing their job for idiots doing the wrong thing. Should have done it from the start. See how strict vic they were, cases got down dramatically for tackling the people doing the wrong thing. Hope this extended lockdown will end there.

You can't predict how people will feel when there's a highly visible police and/or military presence. Govt is always asking the community to "go with them", but not everybody believes or trust the govt. Some people just don't give a rats anyway and do what they want.

If you're talking about Vics recent lockdown, it was suppressed quickly but not by enforcement. Low "mystery" cases, up to 30 or so are well within the capacity of contact tracers to track things down, there were 22,000 people in isolation. When you get up to 50+ it reaches the point where the capacity of respondents is exceeded. Getting close to 100+ means you've lost it and it'll take a couple of months, probably more, to stem the flow.

If you're referencing the big lockdown in Vic last year, that took almost 4 months to fix.

Vader
30-07-2021, 06:40 PM
You can't predict how people will feel when there's a highly visible police and/or military presence. Govt is always asking the community to "go with them", but not everybody believes or trust the govt. Some people just don't give a rats anyway and do what they want.

If you're talking about Vics recent lockdown, it was suppressed quickly but not by enforcement. Low "mystery" cases, up to 30 or so are well within the capacity of contact tracers to track things down, there were 22,000 people in isolation. When you get up to 50+ it reaches the point where the capacity of respondents is exceeded. Getting close to 100+ means you've lost it and it'll take a couple of months, probably more, to stem the flow.

If you're referencing the big lockdown in Vic last year, that took almost 4 months to fix.

What has this got to do with payments?

Vader
30-07-2021, 07:59 PM
NSW.. payments and police are synonymous

Synonymous with most people worldwide scoop

adahar
30-07-2021, 08:30 PM
What has this got to do with payments?

Why don't you ask the same question of suka02 and others that posted similarly? I was only commenting on his post!

This thread went off the rails at post #9 to which you commented on at post #10 if you care to regress.

tpol
30-07-2021, 09:18 PM

I'm sure china is willing to send us 1 million pla soldiers to help us out

suka02
30-07-2021, 10:36 PM
having said that having enforcement in our streets that give us disaster payment extra 150. That what is in for. Could we keep up the next 4 weeks or further? i’m sure if after 4 weeks isn’t over, too many will be furious. We would have lack of movement until everything is stabilise again.

Ziggurat
12-08-2021, 12:34 AM
I've been so self-reliant for so long that getting this business grant, which has just come through, makes me feel a little ill. Not much pleasure in it. The only thing the grant beats however, is the alternative..

But I have a conscience about saddling the country with so much debt which I'm adding to.

Pretty lucky we are to be citizens here, the nation does its best to help.

carmen farquis
12-08-2021, 06:46 AM
I've been so self-reliant for so long that getting this business grant, which has just come through, makes me feel a little ill. Not much pleasure in it. The only thing the grant beats however, is the alternative..

But I have a conscience about saddling the country with so much debt which I'm adding to.

Pretty lucky we are to be citizens here, the nation does its best to help.
I was saying the same thing yesterday. I've never been on the dole or got any sort of benefits or insurance so didn't really like taking it.

The guy I was talking to said just look at it as a tax refund.

Johnisfun1969
12-08-2021, 09:03 AM
I was saying the same thing yesterday. I've never been on the dole or got any sort of benefits or insurance so didn't really like taking it.

The guy I was talking to said just look at it as a tax refund.

I felt the same as never received dole or unemployment benefit although I have been laid twice. I felt little odd when we got the dine and discover vouchers. Then when I looked a these from the point of all the restaurants and cafe doing tough and this was to support them. Also I paid NSW revenue plenty of money for traffic fines. It did not feel as bad thinking I was getting some of it back.

bevis90
12-08-2021, 09:05 AM
How much did they pay you for business support

krnboy
12-08-2021, 11:51 AM
Taxes will be increased in the near future because of this