PDA

View Full Version : Shop info Ipswich illegal brothel sentencing

jimmyp
20-02-2022, 10:36 PM
https://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/ipswich/police-courts/yanhong-zheng-bian-chen-shangqun-xie-juan-zhang-women-sentenced-after-police-sting-uncovers-illegal-ipswich-brothels/news-story/46f79ed6643c521f94975f6fcf4ca122

Three sex workers and a brothel owner have faced sentence in an Ipswich court after police exposed their illegal operation.

Bian Chen, 36, from Booval, Shangqun Xie, 49, from Silkstone, and Juan Zhang, 31, from Sunnybank appeared in Ipswich Magistrates Court on Friday February 18, each facing a single charge of engaging in prostitution through an unlawful prostitution business.

Redbank Plains woman Yanhong Zheng, 44, also appeared in court on a single charge of carrying on the business of providing unlawful prostitution.

All four women pleaded guilty to their charges.

The court heard Zheng purchased an Ipswich “massage business” in April or May last year and had since earned about $36,000 per year after rent and outgoing expenses.

Her barrister Anthony Fronis said she was divorced and had two young children, aged four and two years old, of whom she was the primary carer.

Mr Fronis said her offending was one of the “least serious” examples of operating an unlawful prostitution business he had ever seen.

“It’s less than a two-week period,” he said.

“It was only in relation to certain services that didn’t provide sexual intercourse so there was no public safety considerations.

“No evidence of wealth (and) no money was taken or seized.”

Her offending occurred between November 15 and November 26 last year.

Of his second client Zhang, Mr Fronis said she arrived in Australia in 2017 on a student visa.

She is currently studying a diploma of business management.

The court heard she only worked at the “massage” business for a couple of weeks, for a few hours at a time, and did not offer sexual intercourse as a service.

Zhang is now out of work and financially supported by her parents.

Fellow sex workers Chen and Xie, both represented by defence lawyer Mandy Wang, committed their offences at Booval on November 24 last year and at Silkstone between November 12 and 25 last year, respectively.

Ms Wang said Chen relocated to Australia in August 2018 on a bridging visa and worked at the massage parlour to support her family in China, including her two elderly parents and her five-year-old daughter.

The court heard she sent money to her family every month to help them with their living expenses and had an otherwise clean criminal history.

Ms Wang said her client also did not offer sexual intercourse to her clients.

“The offending is not as serious as the previous cases,” she said.

“There is no allegations of advertising and the service offered was only handjobs.

“No cash was found on the premises and I note my client was only found at the front of the store, not providing any services.”

Ms Wang told the court Chen now works at another store which offers legitimate massage services.

She said her second client Xie also arrived in Australia in August 2018 on a bridging visa and was working at a brothel to support her five-year-old daughter and elderly parents who lived in China.

“She is only an employee at the business,” Ms Wang said.

“The phone number (featured in) advertising was not hers.

“She did not take the bookings or set the price and the money found on the premises was not hers.”

Magistrate Andy Cridland said he had taken into account each woman’s early plea of guilty, their lack of criminal histories, and that their offending was at the “low end of the scale”.

He fined Zheng $800, Zhang $300, Xie $300, and Chen $200. No convictions were recorded.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

4FoW2
20-02-2022, 11:30 PM
Anyone else thinking a waste of tax payers money. $200/ $300 fines.
Sooner the laws are updated the better for everyone. incl LE.

Ken Tuckyfriedchicken
21-02-2022, 08:58 AM

Agree that its absolutely ridiculous. I had a really gorgeous ml that got scared off by this story when it happened and went back to Sydney.
How much police time and money went into this bullshit? Just get the laws fixed so we are on a level playing field with Sydney and Melbourne.
The Olympics are gonna be a joke for the sex industry if this isnt sorted by then. Hopefully 10 years sooner.

APL
21-02-2022, 10:57 AM

Yep just 1 customer pays the fine probably Me

hogansheros_breakout
21-02-2022, 11:18 AM
I'll up this info as it is now out of date....

Massageloverbris
21-02-2022, 11:29 AM
Ladies worry more about the visas being cancelled and by looks those ladies most on bridging visa and most can’t work on those

butyl
21-02-2022, 11:59 AM
so for all the people worrying about raids and illegal activity, it's pretty low fine. The biggest risk (and cost) for punters is the exposure. Mr Hogan The Punter is going to get more than a Page 7 article. My coverage will have an embarrassing pic of me scurrying past cameras.

Whilst this statement is quite likely true, especially with a clean record etc. The Qld criminal code doesn't agree

229HC Persons engaging in or obtaining prostitution through
unlawful prostitution business
(1) A person who engages in prostitution through a business
suspected on reasonable grounds of providing unlawful
prostitution commits a crime.
Maximum penalty—
(a) for a first offence—imprisonment for 3 years; or
(b) for a second offence—imprisonment for 5 years; or
(c) for a third or subsequent offence—imprisonment for 7
years.
(2) A person who, without reasonable excuse, obtains prostitution
through a business suspected on reasonable grounds of
providing unlawful prostitution commits a crime.
Maximum penalty—
years.
229I Persons found in places reasonably suspected of being
used for prostitution etc.
(1) A person who, without reasonable excuse, is found in, or
leaving after having been in, a place suspected on reasonable
grounds of being used for the purposes of prostitution by 2 or
more prostitutes commits a crime
Maximum penalty—
years.
(2) However, if a person who is not an adult or is a person with an
impairment of the mind is, to the offender’s knowledge, in the
place at the time of the offence, the offender is liable to a
maximum penalty of 14 years imprisonment.
(3) In sentencing an offender who is a prostitute or client, the
court may, in mitigation of sentence, have regard to evidence
of an appropriate sexual health check undergone by the
offender within 3 months before the offence.
(4) Subsection (1) does not apply to a person (the relevant
person) if the place is a licensed brothel, unless—
(a) if the relevant person, without reasonable excuse, is
found in the place—a person who is not an adult or who
is a person with an impairment of the mind is, to the
relevant person’s knowledge, also in the place; or
(b) if the relevant person, without reasonable excuse, is
found leaving after having been in the place—a person
who is not an adult or who is a person with an
impairment of the mind was, to the relevant person’s
knowledge, also in the place when the relevant person
was in the place.

hogansheros_breakout
21-02-2022, 12:44 PM

butyl
21-02-2022, 01:05 PM
so, if we are to read the same for the lady that copped the $700 fine without conviction the QCC states

I'm just pointing out that there is more to it than just the chance of a low fine.

Maximum penalty for a punter is 3 years imprisonment. Plus you have legal fees (if you decided to go down that path) and the potential of publicity.

Just because the Magistrate gave low fines and no conviction recorded this time. It doesn't mean that if you were brought before the courts the penalty might not be different. It could be less could be a hell of a lot more.

The ladies in question all had legal representation. The barrister probably cost upwards of $5k over the course of their defence.

hogansheros_breakout
21-02-2022, 02:08 PM