PDA

View Full Version : General talk Taking over a Pattaya Girl Bar

keebab
16-10-2023, 03:28 PM
Alright gents. Roast me if you want but I'm genuinely curious on the feedback and discussions here.

Pattaya Bar and Lease up for sale. 3 year option at approx $22,500 per annum. T/O around $125,000 per annum with margins somewhere around 20-30%. Existing manager and staff in place. No access to detailed financials yet but will assume they're all over the place. Plenty of things to improve around the place. Will def be getting deeper into the details with the seller shortly.

My skills, digital marketing and SEO. The socials, and business listings are a shambles so that's an easy fix. Otherwise, it has the potential to be a hand's off operation.

Thoughts? Who's done this before?

Vincent888
16-10-2023, 03:33 PM
How many seats?

keebab
16-10-2023, 03:44 PM
How many seats?

You mean seating capacity? I'd say less than 30 but don't know exactly. Think hole in the wall bar, downstairs area, upstairs gogo room and bedrooms.

Vincent888
16-10-2023, 03:54 PM
And bedrooms, how many?

Hidden Python
16-10-2023, 04:01 PM
Firstly you will need a Thai business partner, someone who’s not a bar girl that will poison or divorce you straight away, and a good lawyer,
Than you will need to apply for your operational licences, business and liquor licence.
Cash wise you will need a minimum of 6 months of operational capital to cover your start up, and pay your suppliers, as no credit is given and to cover renovations, as most of them are just money pits,
the location is very important as you will depend on the pedestrian traffic, and you need to check if the zone has been designated for any redevelopment as you don’t want to be shut down for demolition and the owner cancels your lease, as there is no way the former lease holder is going to refund any money to you,
This is the type of business where you need to be at ground zero and involved with it on a daily bases otherwise you can kiss your money and arse good bye.

frisson
16-10-2023, 04:08 PM
Please have clean comfortable and firm mattresses

Has anyone recently experienced sh-t mattresses?

Nelly69
16-10-2023, 04:53 PM
have you own a business before? better yet, work with thai people? I respect your strength is in digital marketing and SEO, but thats a fraction of what is required to run a business.

As an owner, you need to know cashflow, finance, management etc etc. you are dreaming if you think this will be a hands off business. otherewise the skimming would be rampant. lol

kingwally
16-10-2023, 06:34 PM
Alright gents. Roast me if you want but I'm genuinely curious on the feedback and discussions here.

Pattaya Bar and Lease up for sale. 3 year option at approx $22,500 per annum. T/O around $125,000 per annum with margins somewhere around 20-30%. Existing manager and staff in place. No access to detailed financials yet but will assume they're all over the place. Plenty of things to improve around the place. Will def be getting deeper into the details with the seller shortly.

My skills, digital marketing and SEO. The socials, and business listings are a shambles so that's an easy fix. Otherwise, it has the potential to be a hand's off operation.

Why not name the current name of the bar you intend to buy...or at least the area where it is. Send me a PM if you want.

Wank_Somemore
16-10-2023, 09:23 PM
What about paying off the local police commander? Wonder if that's still a thing

11Bravo
16-10-2023, 09:39 PM
What about paying off the local police commander? Wonder if that's still a thing
Still a thing? Always the optimist...

VISITING Thailand is one thing, running a business there is a WHOLE world of difference.

Hands off operation? Quickest way to lose your investment. With the successful bars, the owner is there every night. Or your brother must be an experienced bar manager in Thailand. I'm sure Stick has written about this and how few make a go of it.

Sounds straight forward but nothing in Thailand is straight forward if you know what's going on...

Ghost2hauntU
16-10-2023, 11:05 PM
In Cambodia, the bar owners I’ve met live in the country and are well connected. Got the police officials on their side. I’d think Thailand is at least similar in that way.

ReginaldBubbles
16-10-2023, 11:10 PM

Do it. It will all go smoothly.
Please report back.

Wank_Somemore
17-10-2023, 03:30 AM
Still a thing? Always the optimist...

What I meant is, has the approach changed since the raids on the secret Chinese bars. They splashed the local commander all over the news for failing to do his job. Sure it's just PR and there will be someone else to take his place.

GoldfishMan
17-10-2023, 07:16 AM
Think OP needs do some hard investigation work to figure out why the current owner wants or even needs to get out. If it's such a good deal, why let it go?

P76
17-10-2023, 07:22 AM
My idea for a Pattaya bar.
Get 3 or 4 mates and pool some money and buy a bar.
Party hard there for 4 to 6 months.
After that, sell if you can but probably just walk away.
As for a hands off money making proposition, you're dreaming.
I know bar owners that were in their bars every night and still got ripped off by their own family members.

AHLUNGOR
17-10-2023, 07:45 AM
I guess the people have spoken, the bar business is Not something a foreigner should get involved. One comment in particular, whoever the current operator , if the business is making money, why sell ?

Enough said.

Cheers

Vincent888
17-10-2023, 09:12 AM
It’s all about free sex. That’s the bottom line.

Cost per fuck.

keebab
17-10-2023, 09:50 AM
I guess the people have spoken, the bar business is Not something a foreigner should get involved. One comment in particular, whoever the current operator , if the business is making money, why sell ?

Enough said.

Cheers

Certainly seems so. Current owners were a remote partnership and one of the owners passed away. I think they were both American.

I've run businesses and teams remotely before, but nothing in the hospitality space. The comments around local politics and government scams makes a lot of sense.

It feels like the only way to make a go of this is via a local partner on the ground, which if they're good, takes away all the current profit.

Footballpunter
17-10-2023, 09:50 AM
Just drawing from my consulting experience, I reckon it's an investment that's far from being hands off. There are so many ways the managers you hire there can cook the books and screw you with the financials. Also, you would have to know local regulations both written and unwritten. In in points, one of my bubbies from school opened bar/restaurant in a college town. Competition is fierce, so he learned that he can bribe the local fire department to do routine checks on this competition almost weekly. These are things that you only learn when you are actually there running the business day in and day out.

Hidden Python
17-10-2023, 02:41 PM
Good to see you have come to your senses, I found the for sale post for the business located in soi 13/2, and pretty much its a rat hole bar that depends on a couple of girls running yo-yos with customers up and down those stairs for short term bom boom,
With the manager just getting his cut from the girls, the bar itself would see zero profit and you be lucky to recover your rental from that sort of business let alone cover any other maintenance and utilities costs
It’s also the type of business where if things go wrong and most likely they will, everyone will disappear really quickly and you be the one left stranded with your dick in hand taking all the responsibility

Vincent888
17-10-2023, 03:56 PM
One of my friends owned (well his wife did) a 40 girl establishment in Pattaya. That was till the marriage went sour.

Lot of drama and he just walked.

Moral of the story, “be careful who you get in bed with”.

Later on I ran into him in Hong Kong, he seemed to have gotten over it. Was sporting a tall J model.

Vincent888
17-10-2023, 04:06 PM
Here is one that might be for sale.

You can read the rest on the link.

“This place is temporarily closed. An adult Boutique Hotel situated in the Very heart of Pattaya's renowned Nightlife”

Perhaps you could make an offer?

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g293919-d501251-Reviews-Penthouse_Hotel-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html#/media/501251/130840101:p/?albumid=101&type=0&category=101

tkicks
17-10-2023, 04:21 PM

“This place is temporarily closed. An adult Boutique Hotel situated in the Very heart of Pattaya's renowned Nightlife”

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g293919-d501251-Reviews-Penthouse_Hotel-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html#/media/501251/130840101:p/?albumid=101&type=0&category=101

Too late...after being for sale for about 2 years it got bought about 6 months ago...I can't remember how much but over a million usd I seem to remember...renovations underway they are hoping to get it done for the peak xmas period....but I dont know of they will follow the old vibe (mirrors on ceiling, stripper poles etc) or a bit more mainstream decor and target market.

This hotel. Is very close to the bar that the original poster was talking about....but soi 13 area is on downward spiral there are lots of other parts of pats where sex trade rebounded post covid but soi 13 still grim.

Vincent888
17-10-2023, 04:25 PM
This hotel. Is very close to the bar that the original poster was talking about....but soi 13 area is on downward spiral there are lots of other parts of pats where sex trade rebounded post covid but soi 13 still grim.

Why would that be?

tkicks
17-10-2023, 04:36 PM

Why would that be?

Not really sure....decline started pre covid...maybe rents too high...nearby walking street still does well trading off its reputation but is high price quite touristy and not really as busy as once was....but for serious sex tourists the action is at other neighbourhoods soi bukhao, treetown, soi pothole, soi 6/1

Soi 13/4 still the gay bar area

frisson
17-10-2023, 04:40 PM
As with all opportunities, the best of the Bangkok sex industry as a business person was in the days before it was mainstream

Now that Thai sex is a cliched as Starbucks coffee, rents and other cost inflation makes business much more risky and you need to know what you are doing

Vincent888
17-10-2023, 06:21 PM
As with all opportunities, the best of the Bangkok sex industry as a business person was in the days before it was mainstream

Now that Thai sex is a cliched as Starbucks coffee, rents and other cost inflation makes business much more risky and you need to know what you are doing

It’s very much a “hands on” industry.

You take a break and the cashflow drops.

Like driving a Ferrari, it’s great to drive but with no driver it crashes.

pound4pound
17-10-2023, 07:03 PM

Don’t do it they will,chop you up and spit you out. And remember the police run the joint.

frisson
17-10-2023, 07:05 PM
It’s very much a “hands on” industry.

You take a break and the cashflow drops.

Like driving a Ferrari, it’s great to drive but with no driver it crashes.
Nice analogy bro

frisson
17-10-2023, 07:06 PM
Don’t do it they will,chop you up and spit you out. And remember the police run the joint.

As I said, the best business opportunities are those that aren't well known
Success breeds red tape and rent hikes and crooked cops infiltrating every aspect of your business. Go for it but start as a minor partner imho

Look what happened to King's Cross. Ultimately it's well known success killed it

Las Vegas succeeds because the US knows how to milk the cow, but even there rents are high and you need big pockets of money to make small amounts, underworld has it's footprint, and many business people are burnt at the stake, I bet

Vincent888
18-10-2023, 12:27 AM
As I said, the best business opportunities are those that aren't well known
Success breeds red tape and rent hikes and crooked cops infiltrating every aspect of your business. Go for it but start as a minor partner imho

Look what happened to King's Cross. Ultimately it's well known success killed it

Las Vegas succeeds because the US knows how to milk the cow, but even there rents are high and you need big pockets of money to make small amounts, underworld has it's footprint, and many business people are burnt at the stake, I bet

May I have your opinion on adult business here?