PDA

View Full Version : General talk Phone Number Databases

frisson
14-11-2023, 11:16 AM
Be careful
I suspect I gave my mobile number to a bank marketing guy who was offering advice about term deposits at a counter at my work

Anyway 2 months later I get this call from a nice sounding lady
"Hi, this is GTC Dynamics. We have a number of fine shares and investments we would like to tell you about"

I immediately asked how did she get my number

She said "It's on a database"

I told her I'm not interested

I should have asked her to note in her company files to put me in their Do Not Contact list

Lesson
Be very very selective who you give your mobile too, and clarify with businesses seeking to make you a contact, "Is my number going into a database?"

With AI coming, these secret phone number databases will be used by a million bots, hunting your number and linking you to another 1000 bots to bombard you with text or calls

Also, AI can currently produce a voice that can imitate a human conversation. You have been warned

You thought call centers from India are annoying. Just wait until AI bots can talk!

Meng
14-11-2023, 11:26 AM
I've got a google pixel phone and it comes with auto call screening. Literally google answers the phone for me and transcribes what's being said on the phone. I can then choose to pick up or block and report as spam.

It's also got a auto spam filter on texts. Blocked countless scam text messages for me.

JSteel96
14-11-2023, 11:28 AM
I just don't answer numbers I don't know. They can leave a voicemail and if I don't want to hear from them insta block.

frisson
14-11-2023, 11:29 AM
I've got a google pixel phone and it comes with auto call screening. Literally google answers the phone for me and transcribes what's being said on the phone. I can then choose to pick up or block and report as spam.

It's also got a auto spam filter on texts. Blocked countless scam text messages for me.
Truly awesome bro

Vincent888
14-11-2023, 12:53 PM
Anyone get the Chinese embassy hoax call?

frisson
14-11-2023, 12:59 PM

Have you given your number to a non Australian resident, Chinese background?

Vincent888
14-11-2023, 01:06 PM
My number is out in the wild. Been like that forever.

frisson
14-11-2023, 01:10 PM
My burner phone (6 months old), which has Chinese punting contacts, gets the Embassy calls around 1-2 per month

My other legitimate phone (7 years old) never gets Chinese Embassy calls

TheBigChungus
14-11-2023, 01:13 PM
Optus data breach victim and I get scam calls frequently.

As meng mentioned the screen call with the pixels which was nice when I had a pixel too but since I’ve moved on I just have truecaller installed to see who it’s from.

And yes for me I won’t answer calls if I don’t recognise a number, they can text me or leave a voicemail.

Funnily my main number which was with Optus is now my secondary number since I don’t want to let it go in case I have some 2FA account which still requires it, and now my new number is only for friends and family.

I’ll know if someone leaked my number cause the people who do know are very few ;)

frisson
14-11-2023, 01:20 PM
Optus are offering free data to it's customers who were impacted by the recent crash. That makes everything better, no?

TheBigChungus
14-11-2023, 01:23 PM
Optus are offering free data to it's customers who were impacted by the recent crash. That makes everything better, no?

I ditched Optus plan cause I was paying a shit ton for their data as well with my main line, moved it to a cheap carrier but even then they still use the Optus network. I did get 60GB as them showing gratitude which btw expires end of Dec 23 hmmph

frisson
14-11-2023, 01:45 PM
Just imagine

Phone rings with a spoofed number (scammers can link their call to an actual number)

Female sounding voice, sexy and seductive

Is that Johnny (your name and number are on a database remember)
I'm Anna
I am one of the ladys here at 'Misty's' in Burwood. It's a new venue and there's an opening celebration

You: What the address?

AI: 123 John's Road Burwood. Shall I text you that as well as the roster. I'm working Monday and Wednesdays this week

You: Are you a person or AI ?

AI: "I'm AI voiced by Anna, and I would love to see you. If you like slim, that's me, if you also like a Thai lady, then Betty is also working this week. Shall I text you our prices? Our feedback says we are definitely the best value in the area

And so it goes on. With 10 spam calls, at least 1 will reach an interested punter

aussiegaigin
14-11-2023, 02:55 PM

Wow, indeed. My 5G broadband account has unlimited data, so that doesn't help.

Like most people, my phone accounts already includes more data than we normally use per month, so that extra data is just smoke and mirrors too.

frisson
14-11-2023, 03:04 PM
Brother aussie, but the Optus compensation lets you binge watch crap US films, your life will be fulfilled

schloong
15-11-2023, 07:25 AM
I just don't answer numbers I don't know. They can leave a voicemail and if I don't want to hear from them insta block.

Yeah, same here mate. 'Tho my phone also comes up with a "Suspected scam" message on some numbers that I don't know, so that certainly helps a lot. When I get a chance I block that particular number.

Ghost2hauntU
15-11-2023, 10:51 AM

Yeah earlier this year. I told them “CAO NI MA!!!!”
Which is a polite way of telling someone to have a nice day.

Streak
19-11-2023, 09:51 PM
If I never pick up another call from "Amazon", it will be too soon.