PDA

View Full Version : General talk Whiskey Suggestions

woodland
24-11-2023, 09:28 PM
What Whiskey do you drink?
My favorite for some time is the Johnny Walker Black label and Oban.

But more importantly, what's your worst whiskey experience?

B0nkers
24-11-2023, 09:49 PM
Nikka Whisky from the barrel.

Hidden Python
24-11-2023, 09:53 PM
Symphony No1 from Lark distillery Tasmania

Llkjhgfdsa
24-11-2023, 10:19 PM
Monkey Shoulder, for the price you get it for at Dan Murphy, its the best

ReginaldBubbles
24-11-2023, 10:21 PM
I quite like the Japanese ones at he moment. Yamakazi, Hibiki, Suntory.

Hogrider
24-11-2023, 11:11 PM
Makers mark - neat

Springwaterr
24-11-2023, 11:26 PM
Any recommendations for whiskey thats served well on the rocks and any cheaper whiskey to make highball?

I have had Oban before, I had it on the rocks and it was quite nice but for the same price range there should be other alternatives right?

Springwaterr
24-11-2023, 11:27 PM
Removed duplicate

Springwaterr
24-11-2023, 11:27 PM
Monkey Shoulder, for the price you get it for at Dan Murphy, its the best

How do you drink this?

ScotPassingThrough
24-11-2023, 11:32 PM
Same as any other scotch. Neat, no ice, room temperature. If you’re impatient, a few drops (drops!) of room temperature water to release the flavors. It’s not bad as affordable blended Scotch goes. Prefer something from Islay with a burnt, peaty flavour myself though

JesseSydney
24-11-2023, 11:41 PM
For evenings, cant go wrong with Macallan and most isle single malt scotchs. Neat.

For mornings, Jamesons and hot black coffee. Any Irish works.

For harsher days,
Jim Beam Devil's Cut (43%)
Smokehead High Voltage (58%)

For happy days with friends,
Rye whiskeys (Bulleit Rye and Jim Beam Rye are both great)

For lighthearted family conversations with the missus, Japanese whiskys great.

ergoproxy
25-11-2023, 12:55 AM
Nikka and Talisker are the ones on the top of my list.
Currently though, really loving Sullivans Cove from Tassie.

Never had a bad whisky yet.

Oh and I was watching a cooking show last night and they were talking about whiskey. This IPA experimental whiskey by Glenfiddich sounded really interesting.

Wank_Somemore
25-11-2023, 02:09 AM
Pretty much anything Speyside/Highland. Currently on some Glenmorangies. Don't like anything that is peaty or smoky. Tastes like dirt to me. Ardbeg is loved by most but hated by me

Raybo
25-11-2023, 09:21 AM
Glenmorangie original 10 year. Just finished a bottle of Infrequent Flyers 16 year from a Moscatel Hogshead cask from Speyside. Super drop! The Oak Barrel on Elizabeth St in the city has an awesome range of Scotch whiskey, love this shop!

fireball
25-11-2023, 10:43 AM
Glenmorangie or Archie rose.

Llkjhgfdsa
25-11-2023, 11:12 AM
How do you drink this?

with one large ice cube very early in the morning

JohnJones
25-11-2023, 11:27 AM
I'm more of a Brandy guy. VSOP.

frisson
25-11-2023, 12:38 PM
I'm more of a Brandy guy. VSOP.
What is the advantage of brandy over whiskey?

JohnJones
25-11-2023, 12:51 PM
What is the advantage of brandy over whiskey?

Nothing. The taste is different because it's made out of grapes rather than grains.

One tip I learned doing whiskey tasting is to line up different shots of liquor, put a drop on your palm and rub them together then smell. The notes that you get from smelling the real essence of the liquor with the alcohol evaporated is what affects the taste. Alcohol is just to make you drunk or tipsy.

Whiskies are much more diverse in taste because of the malting process. Brandy typically have similar tastes but the higher the rating means that it's been aged for much longer.

frisson
25-11-2023, 01:11 PM
I'll say one advantage of brandy it makes nicer cocktails than scotch. Are there any well known and decent cocktails containing scotch?

JesseSydney
25-11-2023, 04:11 PM
Ive found subconciously i buy and enjoy brandy when in mellow mood.

Scotch cocktail, go for rusty nail. But not many places can do, need a specific liquor mixer i think. i think best is still neat. Tried scotch n coke, i still much prefer bourbon n coke. Tried scotch n coffee, irish whiskey still taste better

frisson
25-11-2023, 04:48 PM
Ive found subconciously i buy and enjoy brandy when in mellow mood.

Scotch cocktail, go for rusty nail. But not many places can do, need a specific liquor mixer i think. i think best is still neat. Tried scotch n coke, i still much prefer bourbon n coke. Tried scotch n coffee, irish whiskey still taste better

Love Irish coffee now and then
Love bourbon and coke, it's sweeter, like a soft drink but gets you drunk
Have you ever done a long island iced tea?

JohnJones
25-11-2023, 07:29 PM
Back when I was living in Malaysia, the most popular drink in the bar is a cocktail called Flaming Lamborghini. It's supposedly strong that it can knock many people out if they're not strong drinkers. One drink is equivalent to roughly 3-4 shots of tequila.

My genetics probably saved me from getting knocked out because a bunch of local Chinese men were eyeing my ex-gf. Their trick was to try and get the bf drunk by buying them the strongest drink, then taking the drunk gf away somewhere for a gangbang. They were surprised that after 2 Flaming Lamborghinis I was still standing. The drinks were pretty expensive, I thanked them for the drinks and left the bar with my ex-gf.

Getting home was messy - I spewed on my steering wheel while driving (I was recklessly DUI but didn't get caught). Had to clean everything up while drunk, showered and went to bed with the ex-gf naked. Suddenly she asked me to rub her clits and we started fucking. Woke up with a terrible headache and realised there was blood all over the bed because she was on her period.

dvu420
25-11-2023, 08:12 PM
Johnny Walker Black label for sure

Bunty4
25-11-2023, 10:58 PM
Yamazaki , Chinta, lochlea , cotswolds , bushmill, taketsuru.

woodland
26-11-2023, 11:15 AM
japanese whiskey is too expensive these days.
scotch is a substantially cheaper, and comparable if not better.

JohnJones
26-11-2023, 11:18 AM
japanese whiskey is too expensive these days.
scotch is a substantially cheaper, and comparable if not better.

That and most Japanese whiskies are single malt only. I like double malt and ones that are really well aged. Dimple is one of my favourite brands as I was introduced to it not long ago.

jamesjj
26-11-2023, 11:23 AM
Hellyers Road from Tasmania is a favourite. Try the pinot cask one.

Daffy
26-11-2023, 12:16 PM
Drink what you like mate.

My home bar has a couple of each that I give to people depending on how much I like them and their preference. I happy to share my Lark with my cousins husband but not my brother who mixes in coke.

But current favourites:
Bourbon
- Buffalo Trace
- Woodford Reserve
- Makers Mark for people who don’t realise the other two are better
- Southern Comfort for cocktails
Scotch (single malt)
- Glenmorangie (have a couple 12 year varieties)
- Glenmoray 18 year
- Glenfiddich 15 year
Scotch (Blended)
- Monkey Shoulder
- Johnnie varieties (Red, Black, Gold, Green and a couple of the GoT ones)
- Glayva whiskey liquor
Other Whisk(e)y
- Lark
- Hellyer Road
- Sazarac Rye

I haven’t bother replacing the Japanese ones I had because the flavour isnt worth the price now.

But for general drinking with a mixer I go Buffalo Trace and Monkey Shoulder every time.

Daffy
26-11-2023, 12:21 PM
I’ve also got about two to three times that in Gin as my ex preferred it to whisk(e)y and there are a few of them I enjoy

The Botantist
Canberra Distillery French Earl Grey
Tanqueray Seville
Four Pillars Bloody Shiraz

Raybo
26-11-2023, 03:04 PM
Nice bar Daffy!

Daffy
26-11-2023, 04:26 PM
Nice bar Daffy!

Bad habit from running a bar. I’m always buying new stuff to try in out and I need to work my through what I have to bring it down under 50 bottles

woodland
26-11-2023, 09:49 PM
the islay whiskies are also my favorite due to their peat flavor

Vincent888
27-11-2023, 07:39 PM
I cant comment as I don’t drink, aren’t you guys lucky?

Daffy
27-11-2023, 08:20 PM
I cant comment as I don’t drink, aren’t you guys lucky?

I reckon I could fix that

Vincent888
27-11-2023, 08:39 PM
I reckon I could fix that

With me it’s either press go or press stop. There is no in between. Been there and done the big drinking.

It’d be nothing for me to finish my last drink, have a shower and shave and go to work in the morning. Put the dark glasses on and off we go.

Not a good lifestyle choice.

ColesBag
27-11-2023, 09:17 PM
I like Talisker, Yamazaki, Nikka, Taketsuru & I have a bottle of Sullivan Cove from Tassie that I pour on very rare occasions.

woodland
27-11-2023, 09:26 PM
Any views on Laphroaig Select - its cheap ($90) and good value for money

ergoproxy
27-11-2023, 11:05 PM
I like Talisker, Yamazaki, Nikka, Taketsuru & I have a bottle of Sullivan Cove from Tassie that I pour on very rare occasions.

My man! We have the same taste.

woodland
28-11-2023, 11:46 PM
the laphroaig select is the best value for money

JesseSydney
29-11-2023, 02:11 AM
Agreed on laphroaig. A $200 bottle at the cost of $90

JesseSydney
29-11-2023, 02:19 AM
Drink what you like mate.

My home bar has a couple of each that I give to people depending on how much I like them and their preference. I happy to share my Lark with my cousins husband but not my brother who mixes in coke.

But current favourites:
Bourbon
- Buffalo Trace
- Woodford Reserve
- Makers Mark for people who don’t realise the other two are better
- Southern Comfort for cocktails
Scotch (single malt)
- Glenmorangie (have a couple 12 year varieties)
- Glenmoray 18 year
- Glenfiddich 15 year
Scotch (Blended)
- Monkey Shoulder
- Johnnie varieties (Red, Black, Gold, Green and a couple of the GoT ones)
- Glayva whiskey liquor
Other Whisk(e)y
- Lark
- Hellyer Road
- Sazarac Rye

I haven’t bother replacing the Japanese ones I had because the flavour isnt worth the price now.

But for general drinking with a mixer I go Buffalo Trace and Monkey Shoulder every time.

Buffalo trace is what ive been drinking today and the past 5 days. Amazing for sure

Woodford reserve too sweet n complicated tasting for me (who calls that bourbon, that aint bourbon!)

Makers mark great in small doses

Soco i dont like at all

Glenmorangie, glenfiddich, glenmoray all amazingly smooth n great (ah, isle single malts, makes me wanna move to scotland) but i prefer glenfiddich from the 3

Monkey shoulder i did a few bottles, still not a fan. Amazing steel ornament though, classy af

Johnnies fine for group friends but bland

Glayva, lark, hellyer, never tried, bucket list now

Sazerac rye sounds awesome, definite top of bucket list. Always love proper rye whiskeys.

P.s. this is from my point of view, which is terribly bad perhaps, as my whiskey of choice is actually jim beam white (roughly 2000 bottles of em in the past 2 decades downed). Im a peasant

GoldfishMan
29-11-2023, 08:19 AM
Yuck, sour mash. I really cannot drink any sour mash whiskey. Jim Beam, JD, wild turkey, all of them. They make my throat go dry and I feel like I've got a lump in my throat.

I prefer Irish whiskey over scotch because they're cheaper to get the smooth taste than scotch. My go to is Jameson, lost count of the number of bottles I've gone through over the last 4 years.

I do like the single malts like Glenfiddich and The Macallan estate ones, but you'd need to get at least an aged one like maybe 12 yo, otherwise it's going to go down rough. They're very pricey!

frisson
29-11-2023, 07:46 PM
P.s. this is from my point of view, which is terribly bad perhaps, as my whiskey of choice is actually jim beam white (roughly 2000 bottles of em in the past 2 decades downed). Im a peasant
You drink that straight or with a mixer like Coca cola?
Hope you practice moderation bro. We all need you to be healthy for all your valuable community and business service

Daffy
29-11-2023, 09:00 PM

As I said mate you should drink what you like and how you like it. Jim Beveridge swears by Johnnie Red and he is the head distiller at Johnnie Walker.

Although I disagree with you about the Woodstock. Had a Texan mate that wouldn’t let me drink any other bourbon when out drinking because the rest were swill (according to him).

Vincent888
29-11-2023, 10:19 PM
My father was a big drinker. When he died he was cremated. It took four days for the fire to go out.

All that was left was some flickering residual tar from the two pack a day durry habit he had been running for 70 plus years.

They bred em tough in the good ol’ days.

Smoking, drinking, gambling.

I carried on the family tradition but dropped those bad habits and picked up womanising.

Though today I thought after pumping those two hot babes hard and fast quite possibly I might be shortening my life span 😉

scorpio85
29-11-2023, 11:08 PM
My go to has to be glen morangie. Genrally any highlands scotch (glen ***) is my jam

woodland
02-12-2023, 11:33 PM
the lagavulin 16 for $150 is a good deal at dan murphy