PDA

View Full Version : Worth it to become a miner for a few years?

Prometheus_haha
15-07-2012, 01:08 AM
Just read an article on mining jobs, which would be really tempting if I wasn't a professional.

Currently earning $70k, doesn't look like it'll get much higher at my place for a while, or it'd be very difficult to find a job that gives higher. Any one reckon it'd be worth it to be a miner for a few years earning $100-120k? Maybe I can resume my current career after that?

Beancounter
15-07-2012, 03:42 PM
I'm in a similar situation as you, but if the increase in pay is only 30 - 50k, I don't think it's worth it.
It is frustrating when I complete uni and post-grad and I struggle to earn 75k, where apprentice miners get 120k.

bill_100
15-07-2012, 04:29 PM
I think that it depends on the person's age, marital status and what profession they are in. A few years doing this type of work when you are just out of Uni would help you mature a bit as well as allowing you to put away a bit of money if you did not drink it all or gamble.

belial
15-07-2012, 04:40 PM
I'm curious about doing it myself because the money is so good and there are so many jobs available. But I don't really know how to get into it, any clues on how to be a miner?

I guess the whole prospect of possibly being buried alive frightens me.

beast1u
15-07-2012, 04:51 PM
I've looked into it before, and from what I saw it seems quite difficult to get into it. It's no secret that miners are getting paid a lot of money, and there's a lot of people out there who want to do it for 1-2 years to give them a financial boost. It seems like most people who get into the industry know someone who's already there and can get them a recommendation.

Depends on what your specialty is though I guess.

Midnight_Prowl
15-07-2012, 05:21 PM
Mining give u 120k due to over time u hv to work and shift u work, i hv brother who works in mining and he tells me unless u r electrician it is hard job- for fact u can earn over $100k if u work as nurse and work overtime, but only if u work in public system as u can claim shit loads of fbt- including meal and entertainment. But remember nursing ans mining is labour field.... While office people r mentally tired....

AHLUNGOR
16-07-2012, 04:18 PM
I think it all depends on exactly which line of work you are talking about and how remote is the site and what sort of down time you can have in between you 10 days straight every fortnight, where is the nearest brothel and how much per shot and stuff like that, and how many times a year the company will pay for your trip home, and the living conditions and the food and the entertainment and recreational facilities.

Say if you are a truck driver driving for Lindfox or Woolie, earning $100k already, would driving in a mine field in far north Qld or WA pay you $150k instead.

Its a $50,000 question, lets not forget, the $50k extra you make, 48.5% of that goes to Wayne Swann!!

Just my two cents

Cheers

Enzo
16-07-2012, 04:29 PM
I have a friend who used to work in mining industry. According to him, its a bit of juggle between family, social life and work. He ended up being divorced (wife took the kids and left him).

That being said, your life is also on the line.

Travelmate
16-07-2012, 04:35 PM
I think it all depends on exactly which line of work you are talking about and how remote is the site and what sort of down time you can have in between you 10 days straight every fortnight, where is the nearest brothel and how much per shot and stuff like that, and how many times a year the company will pay for your trip home, and the living conditions and the food and the entertainment and recreational facilities.

Say if you are a truck driver driving for Lindfox or Woolie, earning $100k already, would driving in a mine field in far north Qld or WA pay you $150k instead.

Its a $50,000 question, lets not forget, the $50k extra you make, 48.5% of that goes to Wayne Swann!!

Just my two cents

Cheers

but consider a female holding a GO AND STOP Roadsign in WA earn $85k.

WTF

AHLUNGOR
16-07-2012, 04:51 PM
but consider a female holding a GO AND STOP Roadsign in WA earn $85k.

WTF

If you are 35, single, size 20, and have not had a bf or a cock in your mouth, your pussy or your ass for the last 18 months when you were still a size 14, then why not?? What have you got to lose??

20 cent pieces, any one??

haha