PDA

View Full Version : Reply with quote

aussiegaigin
20-07-2012, 11:24 PM
Could I suggest that members who are "replying with quote" to posts, DO NOT QUOTE the entire post.

It is quite distracting to see a very long post quoted, but with only a 4 or 5 word actual reply/comment.

Common etiquette is:

1) If you are relying to an immediate past post, there should be no point in quoting anything.

2) If replying to an older post, quote only the part you are commenting on, or if it is a general reply just quote the first paragraph to enable it to be identified.

The board layout with a very narrow single column is hard enough to read as it is, with constant repeating of long posts.

wilisno
21-07-2012, 08:11 PM
Could I suggest that members who are "replying with quote" to posts, DO NOT QUOTE the entire post.

It is quite distracting to see a very long post quoted, but with only a 4 or 5 word actual reply/comment.

Common etiquette is:

1) If you are relying to an immediate past post, there should be no point in quoting anything.

2) If replying to an older post, quote only the part you are commenting on, or if it is a general reply just quote the first paragraph to enable it to be identified.

The board layout with a very narrow single column is hard enough to read as it is, with constant repeating of long posts.

Haha ! I feel a bit like that too, I always delete what's not relevant and leave only that part I want to quote, but maybe it's a bit too hard to do for some using a mobile phone ?

aussiegaigin
21-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Looks like rule 1 went over your head, eh Bro ??:burn::burn:

wilisno
21-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Looks like rule 1 went over your head, eh Bro ??:burn::burn:

Haha, you're sharp ! But I can explain that.

Even if I'm replying immediately, if it's a hot topic, very often I got cut up by somebody else's post which is totally irrelevant to what I was replying, so it looked a bit silly. Therefore I decide to quote everytime to eliminate that problem.

If you were around when one idiot abused me because he thought I was commenting on him when I asked Japanesegirl to show her own photo ... can't remember his username now, the one who announced he had AIDS !