PDA

View Full Version : General talk Can you tell the difference between Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans by looks ?

CunningLinguist
06-04-2013, 05:16 PM
Various websites have had quizzes for this over the years, I tried my luck again recently using
this website (http://alllooksame.com/exam_room.php)
My score: 4/18

rooter
06-04-2013, 05:59 PM
For a Cauc, i think i am pretty good at telling the difference between different Asians, though it is much more difficult from a pic than in real life.
In real life its not just about the face, but the accent, the body language, gestures etc or the "vibe" as the guy in The Castle said.

Even if you did the same test for Europeans you could still select certain people to ensure people got a low score.

For example Germans are usually tall, blonde, fair skinned, and blue eyed and Spaniards are usually short, brunette, olive skinned, brown eyed.

but there are of course tall, blonde, blue eyed, fair skinned Spaniards, and there are short, olive skinned, brown eyed, brunette Germans.

You can never really tell for sure

Sextus
06-04-2013, 06:38 PM
Mine was still not a pass - 7 / 18

My most common mistake was saying they were Chinese. Seven of them! I knew that couldn't be right.

I mistook:

2 Japanese for Korean

2 Chinese for Korean

2 Japanese for Chinese

2 Chinese for Japanese

3 Koreans for Chinese

But I mistook no Koreans for Japanese!

(Ps. To collate this you need to make a note of your choices on a piece of paper as you make them.)

What we might do much better with is a gallery of Asian WL's, given our hands on experience!

CunningLinguist
06-04-2013, 07:05 PM
What we might do much better with is a gallery of Asian WL's, given our hands on experience!

What about a real life naked line up and FS session with them ...

Divine
06-04-2013, 07:16 PM
6/18

Like sextus, I mistook most of them as Chinese as well. I found this test quite hard even though I am of asian ethnicity. It seems a lot easier to tell the difference in real life than these images.

Max Impact
06-04-2013, 08:33 PM
I pride myself on this and my favourite past time along this line is to pick which workers in a Japanese restaurant are not Japanese (most even though they know some Japanese lines).

When I was staying in Nagano this year I was admiring the beautiful Japanese staff in the lodge. This went on for a few days until the owner told me that all staff were Korean. It's quite difficult in reality!

Littlewonder
06-04-2013, 09:39 PM
I am Aussi and no I cant tell the difference Asian is Asian and the shops dont help if they have 3 Chinese working then they say the 4 th girl is anything other than Chinese etc just to add variety to their roster.

In short I dont care what nationality a girl is all I care about is service. I have had some great service from Chinese, Korean. Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Malaysian, Singapore, etc and to be honest I cant tell the difference by looks I just love Asian women.

Punter Poontang
06-04-2013, 09:45 PM
I pride myself on this and my favourite past time along this line is to pick which workers in a Japanese restaurant are not Japanese (most even though they know some Japanese lines).

That's piss-easy in Sydney, NONE of them are Japanese. Almost all "authentic" Japanese restaurants are run by Chinese or Korean folk.

Max Impact
06-04-2013, 09:46 PM
I am Aussi and no I cant tell the difference Asian is Asian and the shops dont help if they have 3 Chinese working then they say the 4 th girl is anything other than Chinese etc just to add variety to their roster.

In short I dont care what nationality a girl is all I care about is service. I have had some great service from Chinese, Korean. Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Malaysian, Singapore, etc and to be honest I cant tell the difference by looks I just love Asian women.

They were probably all mainland Chinese- hihihihijjj

Not that there is anything wrong with that as they can be fucking gorgeous!

Littlewonder
06-04-2013, 10:15 PM
They were probably all mainland Chinese- hihihihijjj

Not that there is anything wrong with that as they can be fucking gorgeous!

Well I know for sure some were from Hong Kong and some from Tiwan but yes most were Chinese.

CunningLinguist
06-04-2013, 11:42 PM
That's piss-easy in Sydney, NONE of them are Japanese. Almost all "authentic" Japanese restaurants are run by Chinese or Korean folk.

Not far wrong, but there are some Japanese restaurants with real Japanese in Sydney.

AHLUNGOR
07-04-2013, 01:48 AM
Not far wrong, but there are some Japanese restaurants with real Japanese in Sydney.

Try Makoto at World Square and Muzashi at Campbell St, same Japanese owner and Japanese chefs !

tonyphil55
07-04-2013, 09:16 AM
I am hopeless at this I got 5

Jimmy Rustles
07-04-2013, 09:25 AM
7/18 that was quite hard

kay_z83
07-04-2013, 09:26 AM
What about a real life naked line up and FS session with them ...

I score 7/18 so it doesn't appear I can tell. But I like your idea... :)

AHLUNGOR
07-04-2013, 12:41 PM
Well I am Hong Kong Chinese and I find it hard to distinguish between "Chinese" , Japanese and Korean especially if they either dress the same or totally naked!!

Hard enough to tell if a girl is Hong Kong Chinese, Taiwan Chinese or Chinese Chinese!!

Then you throw in the Singapore Chinese and Malaysian Chinese - if they have lighter skin and not open their mouth (speaking with the accent!), how can you tell ?

Very hard indeed .

But what difference does it make ??

That1
07-04-2013, 01:04 PM
5/18, not great, didn't do as well as I thought I would.

project_manager006
07-04-2013, 01:08 PM
8/18.

Biatches.

rooter
07-04-2013, 01:08 PM
Race is usually easy to tell eg Asian Caucasian African etc.
But nationality is often very hard to tell.
This is not unique to Asians.
The same would apply to Europeans, Africans etc.
If you had the same test with 3 European nationalities eg French Italian and Spanish faces or 3 African nationalities eg Nigerian, Senegalese, Cameroonians you would also get very low scores.
The test is basically meaningless.
It was fun though ;)

Sextus
07-04-2013, 01:21 PM
The test is basically meaningless.

Sensible comments Rooter, but not necessarily true!

Project manager's score, for example, is well outside random probablity - almost 50% right - especially as the choices involved three nationalities and not just a 50-50 decision. And so far there have been three only one behind him.

I maintain that we on the forum would be more expert at this if all the choices were limited to 20-30 year old attractive females! I mean, the contact we have with these particular representatives of the three nationalities could not be more intimate.

IExperiment
07-04-2013, 03:06 PM
This is a tough test as the first could be Korean but he is chinese and the eight guy is similar to someone I know who is a japanese but the guy on this pictures is chinese so there you go hard one only got 8 correct.

Sextus
07-04-2013, 03:09 PM
This is a tough test ... so there you go hard one only got 8 correct.

There you go, another good score well outside the range of random probabilty.

catbob
07-04-2013, 04:41 PM
There you go, another good score well outside the range of random probabilty.

I don't know about well outside :p

If you random guessed getting 6 would be the single most likely score, however you'd a 59% chance of a 6 or higher, and a 39% chance of 7 or higher and a 22% chance of a score that's 8 or higher! Seems the scores are within the plausibility of what bros might get if they chose randomly

project_manager006
07-04-2013, 04:44 PM
All this thread needs now is a discussion on the Monty Hall problem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem) and it'll be the smartest thread on the internet.

jfoldbar
07-04-2013, 06:10 PM
i reckon i could could pick a korean anytime. as i was married to one. but wouldnt be so sure with the other ones. as rooter says, its more than just the looks, it the whole package that is slightly diferent, and ive learnt to reckognise those little things with the k's, just not the others.

Sextus
07-04-2013, 06:18 PM
I don't know about well outside :p

If you random guessed getting 6 would be the single most likely score, however you'd a 59% chance of a 6 or higher, and a 39% chance of 7 or higher and a 22% chance of a score that's 8 or higher! Seems the scores are within the plausibility of what bros might get if they chose randomly

That is assuming that the nationalities are 6 each. Mmm. I haven't checked, but I was assuming they'd make it devilishly difficult by having random numbers of each nationality.

wilisno
07-04-2013, 06:21 PM
I failed miserably with this test ! But this is a deliberately constructed test, it shouldn't be taken seriously in real life. In real life, I can usually pick out the differences quite accurately, especially Asians, be it Chinese, Vietnamese, Laosian, Cambodian, Malaysian, Indonesian, Thai, Korean, Japanese etc ...

the wizard
07-04-2013, 11:13 PM
Im in singapore, and i failed miserably when i greeted 3 korean girls in japanese.
They looked somewhat confused.
Anyway there are millions of Prada,Pani, Eva and Cassie's on the streets,shops, trains, everywhere.
Not to mention Prc absolute stunners holidaying here.

Max Impact
07-04-2013, 11:21 PM
Wizard, will you be punting there? If so please post ARs. If you need some advice just say!

Sextus
07-04-2013, 11:27 PM
I have trouble keeping my eyes in their sockets at Town Hall station plaza - let alone Singapore!

But I watched all the amazingly kawaii girls on PopAsia this afternoon with a big grin on my face!

the wizard
07-04-2013, 11:32 PM
Sextus, you wouldnt survive Singapore.
Each one i see is just better looking than the other....

The difference to Sydney is that the eye candy is multiplied by tens of thousands.

Max Impact
07-04-2013, 11:33 PM
Yeh, I think Sydney from Town Hall down to Central has some of the best opportunities to perv at Azn girls. I think its better than Shanghai and Singapore.

Sextus
07-04-2013, 11:37 PM
Sextus, you wouldnt survive Singapore.
Each one i see is just better looking than the other....

Well Wizard, I might just have to enjoy a mini-Singapore tomorrow around Town Hall in your honour! I'm with you in spirit for sure mate! :D :D

the wizard
07-04-2013, 11:41 PM
Thanks Sextus, I'll have a Singha beer for you too...

cmk76
07-04-2013, 11:51 PM
Thanks Sextus, I'll have a Singha beer for you too...

Should have a Tiger beer instead! ;)

wilisno
07-04-2013, 11:57 PM
Should have a Tiger beer instead! ;)

Haha, Singha is in Thailand ! :miao:

gentlescream
08-04-2013, 02:40 AM
Being Korean, rather rare that I'll get it wrong, but true - much harder with a picture than real life. Even a single verbal cue can help and collaborate with the facial image to give a hint.

Alan86
10-04-2016, 05:55 PM
Of course! They all have distinctly different faces. I can also tell Thai, Phillipines etc.

Sometimes I'm wrong though.

rooter
10-04-2016, 06:21 PM
I can't tell the difference between Germans, English, Swedes, Irish, Danes, Dutch, French, Scottish, Polish, Czechs, Serbs, Russians etc ... they all look alike to me ;)

Lenka_X5
10-04-2016, 08:11 PM
Cant tell the difference but I prefer Taiwan, Korean and now been fixed with young Chinese supermodels from incall/outcall agencies and surprised by their good looks.

White girls, it is best to go Russian, South African, New Zealand or Aussie girl from Newcastle or small town areas they can give good service. City Aussie girls can be a bit fussy and are not as good. At least thats my experience.

tpol
11-04-2016, 12:20 AM
Well I know for sure some were from Hong Kong and some from Tiwan but yes most were Chinese.

Most from Hong Kong are from China who stopped over in Hong Kong.

Everytime that I met a massage girl who says she's from HK, I chat to them in Canto and their mainland accent gives it away.

Furthermore, lot of HK people use alot of english words in their sentences mixed with Canto, So when you add English with canto, most girls who says they are from HK don't understand you

Pussyhands
11-04-2016, 08:30 AM
All the model or attractive looking onces look similar, the rest can tell a bit easier.

the_boss_king
12-04-2016, 03:15 PM
i feel like i can, because I've visited these countries multiple times not to mention a lot of my friends come from these countries.

cuteguy
14-04-2016, 12:30 AM
Try Makoto at World Square and Muzashi at Campbell St, same Japanese owner and Japanese chefs !

There are many restaurants stating that they are Japanese when in fact they are run by Chinese or Korean. Muzashi is not bad and it is Japanese. Yumei Japanese restaurant inside Capitol Square is also not bad but I believe it's Korean owned.

rooter
14-04-2016, 12:40 AM
There are many restaurants stating that they are Japanese when in fact they are run by Chinese or Korean. Muzashi is not bad and it is Japanese. Yumei Japanese restaurant inside Capitol Square is also not bad but I believe it's Korean owned.

There's pizzerias run by Arabs and Indians too.
That's Australia ;)

AHLUNGOR
14-04-2016, 01:00 AM

My post was 3 years old, and Muzashi in Campbell St had since changed owner and name and no longer genuine Japanese! On the other hand, Makoto in World Square is still run by Ken San and remind authentic Japanese !

Cheers

garfield
19-04-2016, 07:53 PM
If the girl has the usual features in their respective race, you can easily spot them out. If not, it will be quite difficult.

Next you can spot the difference by their accent.

Third probably by the way they dress.

aussiegaigin
19-04-2016, 09:00 PM

I have taken many Japanese clients and friends to these restaurants and they can very quickly work out whether they are genuine Japanese or not.

blanet
21-04-2016, 12:07 AM
Can't really tell the difference visually but as soon as they speak, it's pretty obvious.

wildoman
21-04-2016, 05:55 PM
there are distint differences between japanese and korean but some chinese are starting to get the same type of plastic surgery done as koreans and its starting to be a lot similar and harder to tell.

wildoman
21-04-2016, 05:58 PM
Can't really tell the difference visually but as soon as they speak, it's pretty obvious.

yeah koreans tend to drag their tone at the end

Effindahead
30-10-2018, 06:47 PM
For me, i can differentiate them easily..not just east Asian but most of countries. Funny fact that I can tell them whether JAP, Korean or Chinese by their eyes and hair style. For caucasian, i find europeans are easy to guess too.

harrycd
30-10-2018, 10:12 PM
there are distint differences between japanese and korean but some chinese are starting to get the same type of plastic surgery done as koreans and its starting to be a lot similar and harder to tell.

Very true

You can usually tell the difference between (Chinese + Korean) girls and Japanese easily,
A lot of Japanese never bother with braces / dental work also I remember reading something about the difference in jaw types years ago, I think its smaller so teeth end up slanted.

Outside of that your left looking for surgery / hairstyles / makeup.

Shreddedolphin
07-11-2018, 05:22 AM
they're pretty easy to tell apart of you're asian but if you're white then i guess it's a bit of a struggle

Waklu
14-11-2018, 02:34 PM
Korea japan easy but china, Taiwan, Hong Kong difficult