PDA

View Full Version : General talk Angelina Jolie to have preventive double mastectomy.

Divine
17-05-2013, 10:51 PM
MY MOTHER fought cancer for almost a decade and died at 56. She held out long enough to meet the first of her grandchildren and to hold them in her arms. But my other children will never have the chance to know her and experience how loving and gracious she was.

We often speak of “Mommy’s mommy,” and I find myself trying to explain the illness that took her away from us. They have asked if the same could happen to me. I have always told them not to worry, but the truth is I carry a “faulty” gene, BRCA1, which sharply increases my risk of developing breast cancer and ovarian cancer.

My doctors estimated that I had an 87 percent risk of breast cancer and a 50 percent risk of ovarian cancer, although the risk is different in the case of each woman.

Only a fraction of breast cancers result from an inherited gene mutation. Those with a defect in BRCA1 have a 65 percent risk of getting it, on average.

Once I knew that this was my reality, I decided to be proactive and to minimize the risk as much I could. I made a decision to have a preventive double mastectomy. I started with the breasts, as my risk of breast cancer is higher than my risk of ovarian cancer, and the surgery is more complex.

On April 27, I finished the three months of medical procedures that the mastectomies involved. During that time I have been able to keep this private and to carry on with my work.

But I am writing about it now because I hope that other women can benefit from my experience. Cancer is still a word that strikes fear into people’s hearts, producing a deep sense of powerlessness. But today it is possible to find out through a blood test whether you are highly susceptible to breast and ovarian cancer, and then take action.

My own process began on Feb. 2 with a procedure known as a “nipple delay,” which rules out disease in the breast ducts behind the nipple and draws extra blood flow to the area. This causes some pain and a lot of bruising, but it increases the chance of saving the nipple.

Two weeks later I had the major surgery, where the breast tissue is removed and temporary fillers are put in place. The operation can take eight hours. You wake up with drain tubes and expanders in your breasts. It does feel like a scene out of a science-fiction film. But days after surgery you can be back to a normal life.

Nine weeks later, the final surgery is completed with the reconstruction of the breasts with an implant. There have been many advances in this procedure in the last few years, and the results can be beautiful.

I wanted to write this to tell other women that the decision to have a mastectomy was not easy. But it is one I am very happy that I made. My chances of developing breast cancer have dropped from 87 percent to under 5 percent. I can tell my children that they don’t need to fear they will lose me to breast cancer.

It is reassuring that they see nothing that makes them uncomfortable. They can see my small scars and that’s it. Everything else is just Mommy, the same as she always was. And they know that I love them and will do anything to be with them as long as I can. On a personal note, I do not feel any less of a woman. I feel empowered that I made a strong choice that in no way diminishes my femininity.

I am fortunate to have a partner, Brad Pitt, who is so loving and supportive. So to anyone who has a wife or girlfriend going through this, know that you are a very important part of the transition. Brad was at the Pink Lotus Breast Center, where I was treated, for every minute of the surgeries. We managed to find moments to laugh together. We knew this was the right thing to do for our family and that it would bring us closer. And it has.

For any woman reading this, I hope it helps you to know you have options. I want to encourage every woman, especially if you have a family history of breast or ovarian cancer, to seek out the information and medical experts who can help you through this aspect of your life, and to make your own informed choices.

I acknowledge that there are many wonderful holistic doctors working on alternatives to surgery. My own regimen will be posted in due course on the Web site of the Pink Lotus Breast Center. I hope that this will be helpful to other women.

Breast cancer alone kills some 458,000 people each year, according to the World Health Organization, mainly in low- and middle-income countries. It has got to be a priority to ensure that more women can access gene testing and lifesaving preventive treatment, whatever their means and background, wherever they live. The cost of testing for BRCA1 and BRCA2, at more than $3,000 in the United States, remains an obstacle for many women.

I choose not to keep my story private because there are many women who do not know that they might be living under the shadow of cancer. It is my hope that they, too, will be able to get gene tested, and that if they have a high risk they, too, will know that they have strong options.

Life comes with many challenges. The ones that should not scare us are the ones we can take on and take control of.

Angelina Jolie is an actress and director.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/14/opinion/my-medical-choice.html

For those who do not know what "preventive double mastectomy", it is surgical removal of both breasts to prevent or reduce the risk of breast cancer.

Much courage is needed to take such actions especially willing to share with the rest of the world.

What is your take on this situation?

Punter Poontang
17-05-2013, 10:54 PM
What is your take on this situation?

Good on her, but odds on Brad will bail within 24 months.

CunningLinguist
18-05-2013, 12:38 AM
Hey if you guys read all the info you would have read that she has had a procedure to check there was no cancer in the nipples and that she retained her nipples, also as part of the process she will get some implants, so it's not that bad!

From here (http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/05/15/angelina-jolies-surgery-what-need-to-know-about-breast-reconstruction/):

Angelina Jolie said she had a ‘nipple delay.’ What is that?
“If the incision is around the nipple, you can do a preliminary procedure called a ‘nipple delay,’ where you make the incision, lift the nipple, and divide the blood vessels that supply it from within the breast. This allows you to redirect blood supply from surrounding skin to the nipple tissues so the nipple is more robust. You also take a biopsy to make sure there aren’t any surprises – any breast tissue that has the potential to form breast cancer. You get a little black and blue, and it can also take away some sensitivity. It doesn’t mean it will be without sensation, but it might feel different.”

jellyshots
18-05-2013, 11:21 AM
Hey if you guys read all the info you would have read that she has had a procedure to check there was no cancer in the nipples and that she retained her nipples, also as part of the process she will get some implants, so it's not that bad!

From here (http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/05/15/angelina-jolies-surgery-what-need-to-know-about-breast-reconstruction/):

I still can't see why this is such a big deal. A lot of women in way more unfortunate circumstances have this surgery done. At least Angelina has a family, an industry and plenty of coin in the bank to help out...

World citizen
18-05-2013, 11:45 AM
Its a big deal when any woman makes this choice - angelina jolie included.

Also, she could have easily not publicised her decison, but chose to do so to raise awareness of this issue

hoshimoony
18-05-2013, 11:46 AM
I still can't see why this is such a big deal. A lot of women in way more unfortunate circumstances have this surgery done. At least Angelina has a family, an industry and plenty of coin in the bank to help out...

Well it's a good thing she's trying to raise awareness through her experience, even though she might be more fortunate than some other people going through the same thing. She's showing that it could happen to anyone including one that is as fortunate as Angelina, so it has the potential to prompt many women to go get tested (if they have the means to do so), and save a couple of those who otherwise would not have.

IamSam
18-05-2013, 12:59 PM

Also, she could have easily not publicised her decison, but chose to do so to raise awareness of this issue

I agree, for sure a lot of women will now take the step knowing this can happen to anyone from Jane next door to a movie star.
Admin did the right thing by locking the other disrespectful tasteless thread.

wilisno
18-05-2013, 04:01 PM

Agree ! Her action commands respect !

lockhart
18-05-2013, 05:42 PM
Sure Let's treat this with respect. Never intermingle this serious matter with any tasteless/heartless/mindless thoughts/posting ! Admin definitely done the right thing!!! However, Admin should delete that tasteless / bad character post from the forum for good. Though this is a punter forum , it does not mean have we don't have character nor respects!

Tomosavic
18-05-2013, 06:33 PM
Sure Let's treat this with respect. Never intermingle this serious matter with any tasteless/heartless/mindless thoughts/posting ! Admin definitely done the right thing!!! However, Admin should delete that tasteless / bad character post from the forum for good. Though this is a punter forum , it does not mean have we don't have character nor respects!

why should those posts be deleted? if the op can post his opinion, others can post their opinions too, that does not mean they don't have character nor respects

lockhart
18-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Well..I speak my mind. that post reflect a very poor low character. A sex/punt forum does not mean that we have to twist .
If the same unfortunate happens to any other brother relative. .Surely we will show passionate and not making FUN!

the wizard
18-05-2013, 08:27 PM
"He that is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone"

Ok Ok the previous post was not in the best of taste and was insensitive, we all agree.
A complaint was made and Admin promptly closed the thread.
We all make mistakes and this may have been a mistake to post, but it does not mean we have to slag and keep on crucifying the poster.
This is an important and emotive subject that affects many women so any comments should kept respectful.

Let's move along in that direction please......

jellyshots
19-05-2013, 12:23 AM
My post may have come out the wrong way. I'm not for one minute saying that Angelina Jolie isn't to be commended for the extensive charitable work that she has done or for the fact that she is being a role model for other women about this issue. What I'm saying is that there are plenty of unsung heroes and heroines that remain unheard of with this issue. And plenty of women are told to check themselves for breast cancer, same with guys for prostate cancer.

Actors are people too - just because they entertain us on film, doesn't mean that people should deify them or for that matter believe them more than our own doctors or nurses because of their celebrity status.

wilisno
19-05-2013, 12:56 AM
Actors are people too - just because they entertain us on film, doesn't mean that people should deify them or for that matter believe them more than our own doctors or nurses because of their celebrity status.

Who's deifying whom here ??? I don't see any signs of deification in the above posts !

Calling on people to show some respect to a woman and deifying her are two different things ! I'm sure any woman who can use her influence to promote the awareness of any potential life threatening disease would received the same amount of respects from the above posters here, just that it happens to be Angelina Jolie, I'm not even a fan of hers.

If it's a tragedy, it's a tragedy to those who didn't get cured, not to the horny men around the world !

lockhart
19-05-2013, 01:16 AM
Doubt they will make similar kind of sick joke should this kind of tragedies happen to someone close to them.

jellyshots
19-05-2013, 01:49 AM
Who's deifying whom here ??? I don't see any signs of deification in the above posts !

Calling on people to show some respect to a woman and deifying her are two different things ! I'm sure any woman who can use her influence to promote the awareness of any potential life threatening disease would received the same amount of respects from the above posters here, just that it happens to be Angelina Jolie, I'm not even a fan of hers.

If it's a tragedy, it's a tragedy to those who didn't get cured, not to the horny men around the world !

I didn't point out anyone specifically in these posts. I just think that the media is blowing her decision way out of proportion and doing damage by printing articles like this http://www.smh.com.au/comment/why-angelina-jolie-is-a-role-model-for-the-celebrity-age-20130517-2js2q.html when Brad Pitt even said that he respected her decision to remain private... http://www.smh.com.au/national/health/it-wasnt-a-matter-of-if-id-get-cancer-20130515-2jmx9.html

Now, the thing they get funding for is for paparazzi to hassle a family going through this rather than the government or other bodies stepping in to support these guys http://www.smh.com.au/comment/too-few-options-for-women-with-breast-cancer-risk-20130516-2jp8k.html

The other thread has nothing to do with my post here. I personally don't think that it was in very good taste but I don't think the OP was being malicious either.

I'm sorry if I'm getting worked up about this too but cancer, is a big part of my life at the moment so I'm not just sitting around talking out of my arse. The reality is, cancer is extremely destructive to the person going through it and their families. Someone making decisions to prevent it is just a normal person. The heroes are the ones that battle through it and support people battling through it. I won't even go into some of the stories of the kids that the parents tell you about at Camp Quality www.campquality.org.au

My grandfather died of prostrate cancer, my cousin died of stomach cancer when she was only 37 and my mother has stage 3 pancreatic cancer. I watched her drop 17kgs in weight and get extremely sick from the chemotherapy. Now here's the kicker - if you go with the standard option for medication, a full 16 week cycle, the drugs are included but they will make the patient lose their hair etc. If you fork out $6k, they don't lose their hair and the treatment is more effective.

So a no brainer if you have the money. But if you're a poor sod that doesn't have a way to get that money, you're on your own... Thank f*ck for my mum that she has sons that forked out without blinking. Where is the media highlighting the real struggle?

So for my contribution to this thread, if you really want to help someone with cancer, here's a link I use http://www.campquality.org.au/public/how-you-can-help/donate.aspx

World citizen
19-05-2013, 01:49 AM
I think wendy squires from the herald came close to deifying jolie when she suggested the term 'celebrity' was no longer sufficient to explain what this lady represents ... "You see, I do not believe that Angelina Jolie and Kim Kardashian should be categorised under the same banner. It is insulting, like comparing a Nobel prize with Teen Choice award. Honey Boo Boo with Henry Kissinger. Nelson Mandela with Ricky Nixon...."

As I mentioned, those close to me have confronted this same ordeal (agreeing to a mastectomy to avoid the spread of a malignant cancer) and I agree that raising the issue as a 'complaint' on behalf of the 'horny men of the world' was in extremely poor taste. However, I also agree with jellybro that some of the reportage in the media has been excessively gushing and over the top!

CunningLinguist
19-05-2013, 01:57 AM
Does the media give the people what they want ?
If so which people ?

AHLUNGOR
19-05-2013, 03:08 AM
Doubt they will make similar kind of sick joke should this kind of tragedies happen to someone close to them.

As a matter of facts, I did and I know all too well how various cancers had taken the lifes of too many of my immediate family members !!

My own parents, my father in law were all cancer victims and passed away in the last 10 years ! and my mother in law is currently in her 2nd year of remission ! Her elder sister had lost her battle two years ago! So both sisters had it, and what would that made my wife and her two cousins feel and fear as the bad genes are obviously in the family line !!

But life goes on and you can't live in fear, they all do regular testing and screening and hopefully they will have more times than their mothers!

Now back to Angelina!

May be my original post was deemed as bad taste, fair enough but I don't look at her situation as tragedy at all, that's why I titled it for the "horny men in the world ", was I being disrespectful to the lady? I don't think so !

And was that a "sick joke" ? May be we should let Angelina and Brad Pitt be the judges of that !

Lets look at what's really happening here:

1. Has Angelina got cancer, No
2. Was her procedures successful? Yes!
3. Her chance of getting cancer has now dropped from 87% to less than 5%, that's not a tragedy, that's a victory !
4. And Angie and Brad are celebrating that by actually getting married !
5. Was Angie a sex symbol? Yes
6, is she still a sex symbol? You bet
7. And she also had a breasts reconstruction with implants and that was successful too, and don't tell me you guys don't want to see her new breasts and at least the cleavage ......lol
8. And she wrote this herself in the New York Times that she doesn't think the procedures will make her less feminine !! In another words, she is still feeling very sexy and as a real and complete woman !
9. So that's real background facts and what I stand for in my view to Angelina's procedures.
10. And the best way to respect her and acknowledge her bravery and heroic actions in going public and sending a life saving messages to the women of the world is Not to threat her as a victim!

We shall celebrate her victory in effectively defeated breasts cancers by Not letting it happen in herself!

Even though myself and my family are still in mourning of our losing battles to various cancers which took the life's of too many of our love ones, it's just great to see that cancer can be beaten with some strong will and determinations (and lots of money ).

Therefore, IMHO, the situation with Angie should be business as usual, she should still be the sex symbol and the sexiest woman in the world in Maxims, GQ etc

And we should be looking forward to seeing her walking the next red carpet and try to get a glimpse of Brad's new toys !!

You all know that I like them big and natural, but if they are Angie's I'll make an exception and settle for implants !

This is what Angelina Jolie would have wanted !!

Not to pity her and treat her with "pity respects" and "good tastes"!

So , still think my post was bad taste ??

This is just my two cents, you can all make up your own minds !!

Good night

Cheers

wilisno
19-05-2013, 03:19 AM
As a matter of facts, I did and I know all too well how various cancers had taken the lifes of too many of my immediate family members !!

My own parents, my father in law were all cancer victims and passed away in the last 10 years ! and my mother in law is currently in her 2nd year of remission ! Her elder sister had lost her battle two years ago! So both sisters had it, and what would that made my wife and her two cousins feel and fear as the bad genes are obviously in the family line !!

But life goes on and you can't live in fear, they all do regular testing and screening and hopefully they will have more times than their mothers!

Now back to Angelina!

May be my original post was deemed as bad taste, fair enough but I don't look at her situation as tragedy at all, that's why I titled it for the "horny men in the world ", was I being disrespectful to the lady? I don't think so !

And was that a "sick joke" ? May be we should let Angelina and Brad Pitt be the judges of that !

Lets look at what's really happening here:

1. Has Angelina got cancer, No
2. Was her procedures successful? Yes!
3. Her chance of getting cancer has now dropped from 87% to less than 5%, that's not a tragedy, that's a victory !
4. And Angie and Brad are celebrating that by actually getting married !
5. Was Angie a sex symbol? Yes
6, is she still a sex symbol? You bet
7. And she also had a breasts reconstruction with implants and that was successful too, and don't tell me you guys don't want to see her new breasts and at least the cleavage ......lol
8. And she wrote this herself in the New York Times that she doesn't think the procedures will make her less feminine !! In another words, she is still feeling very sexy and as a real and complete woman !
9. So that's real background facts and what I stand for in my view to Angelina's procedures.
10. And the best way to respect her and acknowledge her bravery and heroic actions in going public and sending a life saving messages to the women of the world is Not to threat her as a victim!

We shall celebrate her victory in effectively defeated breasts cancers by Not letting it happen in herself!

Even though myself and my family are still in mourning of our losing battles to various cancers which took the life's of too many of our love ones, it's just great to see that cancer can be beaten with some strong will and determinations (and lots of money ).

Therefore, IMHO, the situation with Angie should be business as usual, she should still be the sex symbol and the sexiest woman in the world in Maxims, GQ etc

And we should be looking forward to seeing her walking the next red carpet and try to get a glimpse of Brad's new toys !!

You all know that I like them big and natural, but if they are Angie's I'll make an exception and settle for implants !

This is what Angelina Jolie would have wanted !!

Not to pity her and treat her with "pity respects" and "good tastes"!

So , still think my post was bad taste ??

This is just my two cents, you can all make up your own minds !!

Good night

Cheers
Yes ! It's still bad taste ! Whether she will still be a sex symbol or not, I don't think she likes the chance to carry that gene and to have to go through that procedure. I'm sorry to hear about what happened to your folks, but I don't think people had made fun of them either !

AHLUNGOR
19-05-2013, 08:10 AM
Yes ! It's still bad taste ! Whether she will still be a sex symbol or not, I don't think she likes the chance to carry that gene and to have to go through that procedure. I'm sorry to hear about what happened to your folks, but I don't think people had made fun of them either !

Very well then, I made my case, I just look at the situation from a different angle, to me, life is to be celebrated, amid all the death and suffering, not many of us can get one up over cancer!

May be I should have waited. Knowing Angelina, I am absolutely certain she will not be covering up herself, she will definitely make a strong statement and show off her reconstructed breasts to the world to tell all the women who may be reluctant to have the same procedure that there is life after the removal of the breast tissue and with the new implant, you can still look great!!

I am predicting she may even do a swim suit photo session or something and raise millions for the cancer charity !!

Mark my words.

When that happens, I will find this thread again to show my admiration to the courage and the body !!

That's all I'm gonna say,

Well done Angie and all the best to you and Brad and the family.

Cheers

jellyshots
19-05-2013, 11:00 AM
Yes, I think this issue has polarised the forum in a bad way. I agree with Bro Ahlungor that life is to be celebrated! We live in a lucky, lucky country where people can get treatment for all manner of illnesses, where the government will give you money to get on your feet if you can't find work. We live in a city where foreign students can study and pull a guy's dick and make $60 an hour.

Let's just stop being so hard on each other and enjoy the lovely young women at our favourite shops!

wilisno
19-05-2013, 01:48 PM
Very well then, I made my case, I just look at the situation from a different angle, to me, life is to be celebrated, amid all the death and suffering, not many of us can get one up over cancer!

May be I should have waited. Knowing Angelina, I am absolutely certain she will not be covering up herself, she will definitely make a strong statement and show off her reconstructed breasts to the world to tell all the women who may be reluctant to have the same procedure that there is life after the removal of the breast tissue and with the new implant, you can still look great!!

I am predicting she may even do a swim suit photo session or something and raise millions for the cancer charity !!

Mark my words.

When that happens, I will find this thread again to show my admiration to the courage and the body !!

CheersJ
Just because you said you will bring this thread up again when she recovers and will be showing off her assets that I have to respond again !

Obviously you have missed the point of this issue ! Just think this way, if people were making jokes about your folks when they were suffering or recovering from cancer, would you join them ?

Agree that life is to be celebrated, but not at other's expense.

World citizen
19-05-2013, 01:55 PM
When I saw this topic appear in the whats new index my first thought was - 'oh no, this is not a good topic to discuss in a punters forum!' But I actually think most of the discussion has been mature and respectful.

In any case I also think its time to put this issue to bed and move on

World citizen
19-05-2013, 02:25 PM
Thats a nifty little ethos ... I suppose it empowers one to be rude and inconsiderate in all manner of social situations, and then blame others when they take offense.

wilisno
19-05-2013, 02:45 PM
Thats a nifty little ethos ... I suppose it empowers one to be rude and inconsiderate in all manner of social situations, and then blame others when they take offense.
It shows, doesn't it ?

wilisno
19-05-2013, 02:55 PM
In free commentary (I'm not referring to individually drected insults) offence is always taken - never given.

For example, admin tried to shut down all debate on this. But the debate above re-emerged because of natural human impulse - and it was interesting and valuable. What is better then, to shut down debate entirely because of an individual's personally taken offense, or to throw it open in a free exchange of ideas?
The debate has never been shut down, it's the offensive thread title that's been shut down, this thread was posted at about the same time as the other.

World citizen
19-05-2013, 03:22 PM
To be fair I think everyone found that thread title offensive.

Sextus, there is some truth to what you say -- make a politically incorrect joke at a dinner party and some bleeding hearts are offended, yes its their own fault. But making fun of those battling cancer is different. Its one of the few sacred cows, this topics needs to be treated with respect and maturity

God Member
19-05-2013, 04:15 PM

In my case of course, this would be a redundancy.

And Sextus, maybe shouldn't make yourself out to be so holy in the "taking offence" stakes. I'm sure you have sinned in this matter at times too, my son.

wilisno
19-05-2013, 04:38 PM
A personal opinion! Imposed on all!
I wasn't the first one to voice the disapproval, in so saying, you are simply trying to start an argument totally irrelevant to the issue. This behaviour is against the forum rules, your post should be deleted instead !

lockhart
19-05-2013, 09:10 PM
Nonetheless... that post is bad taste... Should be deleted..
Realized other Forum members would have different view.
May be the member should ask your favourite WL/ ML and see how they think!

Mark my words.

Cheers

lockhart
19-05-2013, 09:24 PM
While celebrating -- with character and respects are keys!

Yes, I think this issue has polarised the forum in a bad way. I agree with Bro Ahlungor that life is to be celebrated! We live in a lucky, lucky country where people can get treatment for all manner of illnesses, where the government will give you money to get on your feet if you can't find work. We live in a city where foreign students can study and pull a guy's dick and make $60 an hour.

Let's just stop being so hard on each other and enjoy the lovely young women at our favourite shops!

Sextus
19-05-2013, 09:24 PM
I wasn't the first one to voice the disapproval, in so saying, you are simply trying to start an argument totally irrelevant to the issue. This behaviour is against the forum rules, your post should be deleted instead !

I was just trying to make the point that what is bad taste comes down to a personal opinion. This is a general remark, not directed at you personally.

wilisno
19-05-2013, 11:01 PM
I was just trying to make the point that what is bad taste comes down to a personal opinion. This is a general remark, not directed at you personally.

That's better ! Although your original post after quoting me was : " A personal opinion, Impose on all."

Sillyboy
19-05-2013, 11:48 PM
What should be applauded and a focus of Angelina's story is that she has utilized her celebrity status to bring awareness to a serious health issue for women. Many celebrities zealously guard their privacy to protect their image, income and family and she has shown the fortitude and bravery to tackle the issue face on and also proudly generate awareness for the cause.

Sure there are many ladies in the world who have similar health issues but not many will have the impact of Angelina describing her personal experience to bringing awareness of the issue. As a result we see other newsworthy item such as the one below of the World Burlesque Queen also coming forth with their stories and hopefully many more ladies will face their fears and get checked up for their health.

http://m.smh.com.au/national/health/burlesque-queen-follows-angelinas-brave-lead-20130518-2jtc4.html

As for the original thread, no doubt that was in extreme poor taste. If we read Ahlungor subsequent explanation on this thread, it has nothing to do with the original thread which was simply a tragic put down for all the horny men in the world as they would be losing Angelina's real breasts. There was no mention of Angelina's family or Brad Pitt, nothing about celebrating Angelina's success in dealing with the issue or that cancer can be fought ect... as mentioned now in hindsight response.

And to be honest the response here on this thread is even more crude with suggestions of looking forward to seeing her on the red carpet getting a glimpse of "Brad's new toys" or a prediction of Angelina doing a swimsuit photo shoot to show her body off to raise money for charity.

What she does in future will be up to her but for some sick dirty minded punters to speculate like that does a significant disservice to the lady's courageous actions to address and bring awareness to the issue.

No doubt I think I have much sympathy for Ahlungor own personal family circumstances as this has also affected members within my own family hence I am fully aware of the ramifications. Hypothetically I don't think Ahlungor would be posting in thst manner if it was a situation with his immediate family who happened to be a famous celebrity. Nor would he do so if it was one of the famed ML's/Mamasans from his holy trinity of shops were the ones affected. Imagine the poor taste of headlines on the forum - XXXX of X massage shop has just undergone a double mastectomy but will be back with her brand new XX Cup reconstruction later.

Sometimes threads on the forum tend to start from random thoughts that feed off Internet Master of the Universe ego's rather than being truly constructive. Let that be a lesson that humanity can exist on a forum such as this rather than just crude selfish observations.

For this thread, let's just try and remember the bravery and fortitude that Angelina has to face her issue and then use her celebrity status in a great way to bring awareness for all.

ILOVETOFU
20-05-2013, 12:34 AM
nice comment Sillyboy.

One day, when I was young, naive, ignorant and a touch arrogant, I was sitting in a coffee shop. As I was picking up my coffee cup I made a sick joke and swore at the gods rather profusely. And just at that moment my coffee cup completely cracked in half. A shiver ran down my spine and I was left with a very strange feeling. Coincidence or not, that moment had an impact on me. I needed to have a little more respect for the things I knew so little about, including other people, their cultures, beliefs, traditions, etc.

I lost my father to cancer before I had even made it to high school, and its a horrible experience watching someone so close to you slowly perish in a shocking state of chronic pain. And there isn't a thing you can do about it. I caught the train from school to the hospital and back again every week for almost a year.

I think Fast Eddy shows us that we can still make jokes about illness when those jokes are made in the right manner, in the right taste, and certainly not directed at anyone personally. And the majority of the comments on this forum are a testament to the overall good character of the members.

"Falling in love you remain a child; rising in love you mature. By and by love becomes not a relationship, it becomes a state of your being. Not that you are in love - now you are love."

wilisno
20-05-2013, 01:37 AM
nice comment Sillyboy.

One day, when I was young, naive, ignorant and a touch arrogant, I was sitting in a coffee shop. As I was picking up my coffee cup I made a sick joke and swore at the gods rather profusely. And just at that moment my coffee cup completely cracked in half. A shiver ran down my spine and I was left with a very strange feeling. Coincidence or not, that moment had an impact on me. I needed to have a little more respect for the things I knew so little about, including other people, their cultures, beliefs, traditions, etc.

I lost my father to cancer before I had even made it to high school, and its a horrible experience watching someone so close to you slowly perish in a shocking state of chronic pain. And there isn't a thing you can do about it. I caught the train from school to the hospital and back again every week for almost a year.

I think Fast Eddy shows us that we can still make jokes about illness when those jokes are made in the right manner, in the right taste, and certainly not directed at anyone personally. And the majority of the comments on this forum are a testament to the overall good character of the members.

"Falling in love you remain a child; rising in love you mature. By and by love becomes not a relationship, it becomes a state of your being. Not that you are in love - now you are love."

Terrific post Bro ! I always believe the majority of members are of good character here, and it also shows it's not my personal opinion over this issue !

rooter
20-05-2013, 02:35 AM
nice comment Sillyboy.

I have lost very close family to cancer too (i think unfortunately most of us have) and as humourous and lighthearted as i am it's pretty hard to watch people you love and respect disintegrate before your very eyes.
When you have to soak up their spit, and wipe their arse and hold a potty while they piss and look on helplessly as they writhe in agony when even massive doses of oxycontin and morphine don't take away the pain, or worse still do take away the pain but reduce them to a breathing vegetable. And then watch them turn a yellowy orange colour once their liver quits and hold them while they draw their final breath. Then you know what cancer really is! It's an ugly fucker!
Anyway I am not really sure what i am trying to say here. it's pretty clear that bro Ahlungor's post was in bad taste and inappropriate, but it's also clear there was no malice in it - I have never met the guy but he seems like a decent bloke to me. He was just making a joke, it was an error of judgement, we all make them, and with the benefit of hindsight I am sure he would agree it was a mistake to post it.
I am not a fan of censorship and agree with Voltaire's philosophy of " I do not agree with what you say, but I will fight til the death for your right to say it" (or something like that anyway).
Freedom of speech is a precious thing but it has never been an absolute right. Even in the USA where it's enshrined in the Constitution there are always limits on it : defamation, national security, public safety, inciting racial hatred etc.
I think there are cases where a poster could be asked by Admin to withdraw a post. If they choose not to, then they have to prepared to cop all the furore that their remarks attract.
I think that Admin has the right to delete a post that is a clear breach of forum rules. The rules are clearly stated and all members are made aware of them.
I don't think this particular post was a breach of forum rules by the way.

wilisno
20-05-2013, 03:36 AM
Anyway I am not really sure what i am trying to say here. it's pretty clear that bro Ahlungor's post was in bad taste and inappropriate, but it's also clear there was no malice in it - I have never met the guy but he seems like a decent bloke to me. He was just making a joke, it was an error of judgement, we all make them, and with the benefit of hindsight I am sure he would agree it was a mistake to post it.

Seems like you haven't read Ahlungor's response on this thread, he didn't think it's bad taste, let alone agreeing it's a mistake ! He even said he will bring this thread back to life when Angelina recovers !

lockhart
20-05-2013, 09:25 AM
Seems like you haven't read Ahlungor's response on this thread, he didn't think it's bad taste, let alone agreeing it's a mistake ! He even said he will bring this thread back to life when Angelina recovers !

Terrific post Bro ! I always believe the majority of members are of good character here, and it also shows it's not my personal opinion over this issue !

That post reflects the character of the poster!

jellyshots
20-05-2013, 10:21 AM
All of us should learn to take the good with the bad with people. Bro Ahlungor has explained himself numerous times and I personally believe that he isn't a person to be malicious. In all 10,000 of his posts, he's helped some shop owners who couldn't speak English advertise their rosters, written AR's, given each of us advice and even given blokes pictures to look at...

Judging someone on one thread is pretty f*cked up in my opinion. I don't agree with what he said, but I too will defend his right to say it.

Angelina Jolie doesn't have cancer. What she is doing is preventative. I respect her decision to inform people, to raise awareness but I do not agree with people calling her a hero. She's a normal woman making a decision based on the information she has available.

Kylie Minogue, on the other hand, who did have cancer, who battled through it and then got on stage a year later. Kylie would have gotten extremely sick, been in a lot of pain, recovered and then got straight back into her business.