PDA

View Full Version : General talk Why not on Pill?

jumbuk
05-06-2013, 12:46 PM
I have come across several cases where the WL was not on the pill (or using some other form of contraception). What this means is that for several days each month their income-earning potential is either reduced, or at least altered. Why would they want to do this?

uber
05-06-2013, 01:21 PM
Women on the pill still have their periods broseph.

icecream
05-06-2013, 01:54 PM
Personal choice.. Side effects etc.. Each women's body is different.. Doctors advice..

CunningLinguist
05-06-2013, 07:32 PM
Many women put on weight from the pill.
Also unless they do BBFS they don't even need the pill.

zeroun
05-06-2013, 07:43 PM
Also unless they do BBFS they don't even need the pill.

Not always, in some cases women use the pill to make menstrual cramping less painful whether they're sexually active or not.

aussiegaigin
05-06-2013, 07:46 PM
Women on the pill still have their periods broseph.

With some types of pill, there is about a week when the daily pills are "blanks" (they are just used for continuity, so the woman does not lose track of time). If the woman ignores the blank pills, and goes straight to the next active sequence, she will not have periods. I don't know if this applies to all types.

Licker
05-06-2013, 08:51 PM
With some types of pill, there is about a week when the daily pills are "blanks" (they are just used for continuity, so the woman does not lose track of time). If the woman ignores the blank pills, and goes straight to the next active sequence, she will not have periods. I don't know if this applies to all types.

No, I don't think there are any 'blank' ones.
That would be risky, i.e. taking one of those blanks by mistake (instead of real one) could get her pregnant.
That is of course provided that a sperm donor was active at the time and was not shooting blanks (Yes, there are blank ones of those).

When on the pill, the period is usually shorter though.

The hormones in the pill, progestin (which mimics progesterone) and estrogen, decrease the release of GnRH, and therefore the release of FSH and LH. This restricts the follicles from growing, and by extension, an egg from growing and releasing from the ovary. Essentially, these synthetic hormones trick the ovary into thinking that it's already released an egg. The endometrium still builds in the uterus and is released, but this is known as a "withdrawal" period. It's the body's reaction to the withdrawal of the normal hormonal cycle. This is why a period while on the pill is usually lighter and shorter; the corpus luteum can't grow unless the ovary has released an egg.

sei
05-06-2013, 09:11 PM
There are blank pills and it would be hard to take the wrong pill as it is all clearly labelled and sequentially organised.

There are lots of reasons for not taking or taking the pill as different pills do different things to different people and its not used solely as a contraceptive.

Reasons i've heard (so may or may not ve fact) for not taking the pill are:
- gaining weight
- acne
- moodiness
- too heavy a flow
- want to start a family
- increased risk of cancer

Reasons i've heard for taking the pill (again not fact):
- to get a period
- to regulate a period
- to stop acne
- to stablise hormones so not so moody
- as a contraceptive

I think it is rare, but still possibl, that a wl would not be on the pill in the hopes of falling pregnant to a punter. Point to note is that contraception goes both ways :)

Hope that helps.