PDA

View Full Version : General talk Congratulations to the Socceroo, but "We Go To Rio", may be not ??

AHLUNGOR
19-06-2013, 01:03 PM
Congratulations to the Socceroo, great win last night and we are off to Brazil 2014 !! That's three World Cups in a row, fantastic efforts !!

This morning, the Telegragh has a front page titled: We Go To Rio !!

Well, I hate to interrupt the party, but I am not so sure !!

You see, the World Cup tournament is different from the Olympics, like going to Sydney, Beijing and believe it or not, Rio as well.

But World Cup football are Not all play in Rio, in fact only 7 matches will be play in Rio including the Final. Opening match is at Sao Paulo.

Only 4 group matches will be played at the Maracana Stadium!

So there is every chance that the Socceroo wouldn't be going to Rio at all, I hate to spoil the party, but I guess, the title: We Go to Brazil will be more appropriate !

Just my two cents

Cheets

ps. Chance of going to Rio during group stage is 1/48, 1/8 in the round of 16, 1/4 in the quarters and if we make it all the way to the final, then we are definitely going to RIO !!

wilisno
19-06-2013, 01:30 PM
Congratulations to the Socceroo, great win last night and we are off to Brazil 2014 !! That's three World Cups in a row, fantastic efforts !!

This morning, the Telegragh has a front page titled: We Go To Rio !!

Well, I hate to interrupt the party, but I am not so sure !!

You see, the World Cup tournament is different from the Olympics, like going to Sydney, Beijing and believe it or not, Rio as well.

But World Cup football are Not all play in Rio, in fact only 7 matches will be play in Rio including the Final. Opening match is at Sao Paulo.

Only 4 group matches will be played at the Maracana Stadium!

So there is every chance that the Socceroo wouldn't be going to Rio at all, I hate to spoil the party, but I guess, the title: We Go to Brazil will be more appropriate !

Just my two cents

Cheets

ps. Chance of going to Rio during group stage is 1/48, 1/8 in the round of 16, 1/4 in the quarters and if we make it all the way to the final, then we are definitely going to RIO !!
Well, even if we don't play in Rio, we still have to go there first, like the Olympic, opening ceremony, Olympic village and all that jazz !

AHLUNGOR
19-06-2013, 01:50 PM
Well, even if we don't play in Rio, we still have to go there first, like the Olympic, opening ceremony, Olympic village and all that jazz !

Sorry brother Wil,

That's the difference between the World Cup and the Olympics. Yes, there will be some sort of opening ceremony but since the opening match is at São Paulo that's where the ceremony will take place. But there will not be much players participation in that ceremony apart from the two teams who will play in the opening match.

All the other teams will be in camps all over the country and based in the various host cities where their first group matches will be played.

Unless of course if the Socceroo actually draw the group based in Rio, then they will be there.

So still No guarantee that they will visit Rio as a team though. As a tourist after the tournament, absolutely ! or reaching the final - even better. Don't forget we could have beaten Italy in Germany if not for that stupid diving penalty ! and Italy went on to win the World Cup !!

Cheers

ps. I started this thread not by any means to disrespect the Socceroo and play down their wonderful achievements, I am just not happy with the Newspaper as the title is just wrong !!

Imagine back in 2005, after we won the penalty and qualified for the first time since 1974, and in the next morning, the Front Page newspaper will say: We Go to Berlin !!

Instead of We Go to Germany - this is what I am trying to point out.

Punter Poontang
19-06-2013, 03:49 PM
If you're going to be that pedantic, Ahlungor bro, then your OP should also be corrected to say we have "fuck all" chance of playing "anywhere" in the round of 16, quarter final etc ..... ;-)

Don't get me wrong, getting there is still a great achievement, but as someone who was lucky enough to get to both Germany & South Africa I'm fearing the worst. We struggled hard through Asia this time, pretty sure it'll be 3 games and out when we get to Brazil.

AHLUNGOR
19-06-2013, 05:34 PM
If you're going to be that pedantic, Ahlungor bro, then your OP should also be corrected to say we have "fuck all" chance of playing "anywhere" in the round of 16, quarter final etc ..... ;-)

Don't get me wrong, getting there is still a great achievement, but as someone who was lucky enough to get to both Germany & South Africa I'm fearing the worst. We struggled hard through Asia this time, pretty sure it'll be 3 games and out when we get to Brazil.

Well, I think any team qualified to go to Brazil has some chances. We did reached the 16 in Germany and as I said, could have easily beaten Italy to move to the quarter finals if not for that diving penalty in the 90th minutes.

And next round we would have faced Ukraine who only won on penalty shoot out against Switzerland and Italy had beaten Ukarine 3-0, so I fancy our chances getting past the Ukarians too, then we would be facing Germany in the semi final.

What I am trying to say is, once we get there, there is always a chance, and of course luck always play a big part in the world cup. If we draw a reasonable group, next round is not an impossible dream.

Just my two cents

Cheers

:smile:

Punter Poontang
19-06-2013, 11:42 PM
I get what you're saying, but our 2006 side coached by Hiddink shits all over the current crop of mercenaries bludging in Middle Eastern leagues under that fool Osieck.

Chalk and cheese, we've got a LOT of work to do in the next 12 months to avoid being spanked in Brazil. There also won't be an "easy" group this time with Brazil being seeded as hosts, so we'll get one of the top 8 teams in the world for sure, along with at least one other side far superior to us right now. It could be ugly if we're still carrying the "old guard" there in another 12 months. :-(

Irene638
20-06-2013, 10:05 AM
I get what you're saying, but our 2006 side coached by Hiddink shits all over the current crop of mercenaries bludging in Middle Eastern leagues under that fool Osieck.

Chalk and cheese, we've got a LOT of work to do in the next 12 months to avoid being spanked in Brazil. There also won't be an "easy" group this time with Brazil being seeded as hosts, so we'll get one of the top 8 teams in the world for sure, along with at least one other side far superior to us right now. It could be ugly if we're still carrying the "old guard" there in another 12 months. :-(

Hi Bro,

You knew your Soccer Bro. I can't disagree with everything you have said.

This Socceroo team is lack of a good play maker roll (like Harry Kewell), therefore they are lack of scoring opportunity

Even through, the team has good spirit and defend really well under pressure. What I hope to see is that the new group of players such as Holman, Kruge, Milligan.... can earn more experience in the next 12 months. I hope that they have as much friendly matches as they can so the team can really gel together.

By the way, I was at the game on Tuesday night, It is one of the best night out that I had for a little while. Better than sex Bro (LOL)

Go Socceroo.

AHLUNGOR
20-06-2013, 11:00 AM
Hi Bro,

You knew your Soccer Bro. I can't disagree with everything you have said.

This Socceroo team is lack of a good play maker roll (like Harry Kewell), therefore they are lack of scoring opportunity

Even through, the team has good spirit and defend really well under pressure. What I hope to see is that the new group of players such as Holman, Kruge, Milligan.... can earn more experience in the next 12 months. I hope that they have as much friendly matches as they can so the team can really gel together.

By the way, I was at the game on Tuesday night, It is one of the best night out that I had for a little while. Better than sex Bro (LOL)

Go Socceroo.

Agreed!

If you read the Telegraph today there is a section on where all those younger players you just mentioned will be playing next season. So I expect a lot of improvements coming out from this younger group!

Harry Kewell is back to the A league playing for peanuts just to keep himself match fit for Brazil, I am sure he felt that in his heart he still has some unfinished business at the World Cup!

Timmy seems to be in the very good shape playing alongside Thierrry Henry in New York!

Lets hope they all fit and health and put up a good show in Brazil to make us proud!!

Thank you Socceroos !

Punter Poontang
22-06-2013, 03:12 PM

We can now add Brett Holman to the list of mercenaries in the Qatar or UAE Leagues. :-(

Who the fuck leaves Aston Villa in the EPL at age 29, even if you're not getting heaps of game time, for the Middle East in a World Cup year?? This is within 48 hours of us qualifying, and him starting pretty much every game in qualification (def the last 4).

The only thing worse than his own lack of ambition is that playing at that level is now deemed acceptable for any $occeroo. :-(

AHLUNGOR
22-06-2013, 05:20 PM
We can now add Brett Holman to the list of mercenaries in the Qatar or UAE Leagues. :-(

Who the fuck leaves Aston Villa in the EPL at age 29, even if you're not getting heaps of game time, for the Middle East in a World Cup year?? This is within 48 hours of us qualifying, and him starting pretty much every game in qualification (def the last 4).

The only thing worse than his own lack of ambition is that playing at that level is now deemed acceptable for any $occeroo. :-(

I believe the mail is he has a fall out with the coach at Aston Villa, so rather than stay there and may never get any game time, he decided to leave and join a club side where he can actually play. Same with Harry Kewell, and the same needs to be work out for Lucas Neil too if he wants to be game fit and go on to Brazil in 2014.

Stay in the EPL and get no game time or go middle east and be game fit, I think I will take the latter too. Let's not forget how well the Iraqi team was playing against us, so middle eastern league is not all bad.

Just my two cents

Cheers

:smile:

Just my two cents.

micazzofamale
22-06-2013, 06:05 PM
Bresciano is currently playing in Qatar and he was one of our best players....our golden age was 2006 in germany, many great players at peak age playing in the best euro teams.... i dont see great talent coming thru atm

rooter
22-06-2013, 07:14 PM
Bro Ahlungor, maybe the headline "I go to Rio" was slightly innaccurate.
Another option could have been "Socceroos go brazilian'
Actually Bresciano should definitely get a brazilian; then the "curtains would match the carpet" for sure. ;)

Punter Poontang
22-06-2013, 08:28 PM
Stay in the EPL and get no game time or go middle east and be game fit, I think I will take the latter too.

It's not like those would have been his only two options, could have easily got a contract back in Holland where he excelled for nearly a decade.

Agree Bresciano is an exception to the rule, he's been great since coming back into the side. But having young guys go there (Brosque, Spiranovic etc) is depressing. Imo, they forfeit their right to be on the plane to Brazil.

harmony
24-06-2014, 11:59 AM
Congratulations to the Socceroos for their efforts in the World Cup 2014

But rose coloured glasses off for a moment - the defensive effort from the boys was not good enough

We conceded 3 goals per game, including the last game
In the last game against Spain, a Spanish forward was left unmarked in the box, and scored easily, despite three Australian defenders standing around looking for something to do

The approach of "Our young guys will learn from this" is debatable

What did we learn ?
We leak 3 goals per game at the highest level in June 2014
We have only won two games in total in World Cup history
We did not convincingly look like scoring in the last game against Spain. No Tim Cahill to show everyone how it is done

Also interestingly Australia has never played Spain before in history (at international competition level). Never ?

Hopefully we can fix up our defence for the Asia Cup, which Australia is hosting
But maybe it is too much to ask for both a great defence, and a great attack as well
Go Australia ! :):):)

AHLUNGOR
24-06-2014, 12:27 PM
Babes waiting for the arrival of the Socceroos at the Copacabana Beach !!

http://31.media.tumblr.com/f9c0b218b19691dd63a604bc709978f8/tumblr_n7kvfdiUMU1tbimw5o1_500.jpg

Irene638
24-06-2014, 04:24 PM
Honestly, From the moment that they appoint this guy Ange as the coach and the way he picked all the young guys and lelf Lucas Neil out of the Squad, I knew that we will not do any good. How can you win a game against 3 best team like Hollan, spain and Chile with a amateur coach and a bunch of League players and you left out your captain (an experience player to hold the defend together out of the team?) It is embarrassing to see the way we leak goals. We play quite well when we attack but to win a soccer match you must built on your defend. If you leak 3 goals every match like we did, we would never win a game.

Just my 2 cents.

AHLUNGOR
24-06-2014, 05:29 PM
Honestly, From the moment that they appoint this guy Ange as the coach and the way he picked all the young guys and lelf Lucas Neil out of the Squad, I knew that we will not do any good. How can you win a game against 3 best team like Hollan, spain and Chile with a amateur coach and a bunch of League players and you left out your captain (an experience player to hold the defend together out of the team?) It is embarrassing to see the way we leak goals. We play quite well when we attack but to win a soccer match you must built on your defend. If you leak 3 goals every match like we did, we would never win a game.

Just my 2 cents.

If you look at our team at 2006 and you have all your answers:

1 GK Mark Schwarzer 6 October 1972 (aged 33) 37 England Middlesbrough
2 DF Lucas Neill 9 March 1978 (aged 28) 25 England Blackburn Rovers
3 DF Craig Moore 12 December 1975 (aged 30) 33 England Newcastle United
4 MF Tim Cahill 6 December 1979 (aged 26) 16 England Everton
5 MF Jason Čulina 5 August 1980 (aged 25) 13 Netherlands PSV Eindhoven
6 DF Tony Popovic 4 July 1973 (aged 32) 56 England Crystal Palace [54]
7 DF Brett Emerton 22 February 1979 (aged 27) 48 England Blackburn Rovers
8 MF Josip Skoko 10 December 1975 (aged 30) 46 England Wigan Athletic [55]
9 FW Mark Viduka (c) 9 October 1975 (aged 30) 33 England Middlesbrough
10 FW Harry Kewell 22 September 1978 (aged 27) 20 England Liverpool
11 DF Stan Lazaridis 16 August 1972 (aged 33) 59 England Birmingham City [56]
12 GK Ante Čović 13 June 1975 (aged 30) 1 Sweden Hammarby
13 MF Vincenzo Grella 5 October 1979 (aged 26) 17 Italy Parma
14 MF Scott Chipperfield 30 December 1975 (aged 30) 46 Switzerland Basel
15 FW John Aloisi 5 February 1976 (aged 30) 41 Spain Alavés
16 DF Michael Beauchamp 8 March 1981 (aged 25) 2 Australia Central Coast Mariners [57]
17 FW Archie Thompson 23 October 1978 (aged 27) 20 Australia Melbourne Victory [58]
18 GK Željko Kalac 16 December 1972 (aged 33) 52 Italy Milan
19 FW Joshua Kennedy 20 August 1982 (aged 23) 1 Germany Dynamo Dresden [59]
20 DF Luke Wilkshire 2 October 1981 (aged 24) 8 England Bristol City
21 MF Mile Sterjovski 27 May 1979 (aged 27) 22 Switzerland Basel
22 DF Mark Milligan 4 August 1985 (aged 20) 1 Australia Sydney FC
23 MF Mark Bresciano 11 February 1980 (aged 26) 24 Italy Parma

harmony
24-06-2014, 07:15 PM
Wow Ahlungor. This is why you are such a valued forum member here. Very thorough researching !

Just watch how unrealistic and biased the Australian media is, as they report on Australias effort, unintentional but still unrealistic

"This World Cup gave Australia hope for the future"
"The team would have learnt a lot"

And from Australian coach Ange Postecoglou tonight - "We will succeed in the future if we show the intent" (his words)

Intent. Great. So if one of us wants to be the Formula One Champion in four years, we just need intent ?

Wrong. Our soccer team needs class, skill, pedigree, with players employed by top European Premier league teams. Yes, I know you cant have everything !

Intent doesnt get you far in life. Otherwise with intent we all could be Pele

Spain showed us how far we have to go. And another four years experience alone wont make any of our players any better, without playing in the top leagues

Notice how commentators are making things over complicated, with terms like "compressed" and "press" and "shape" and "space"

The vocab makes you sound smart, but ALL that matters is: 1)Have lethal forwards who know how to score with their feet, and score often 2)Dont leak goals 3)Dont get sent off

Simple formula that works

I support Australian sport. I dont support saying things are great when in fact they arent so great

But lets hope we unearth some more Cahills, Kewells, and Schwarzers in the future. During our lifetimes if that is possible !

rooter
24-06-2014, 08:04 PM
Accidently deleted post.
Anyway the socceroos didn't do to badly.
Most pundits expected us to do worse.
We were always going to struggle to qualify from that group.
Then again little Costa Rica showed us all it can be done.

AHLUNGOR
25-06-2014, 02:33 AM
Accidently deleted post.
Anyway the socceroos didn't do to badly.
Most pundits expected us to do worse.
We were always going to struggle to qualify from that group.
Then again little Costa Rica showed us all it can be done.

And the New Zealand cousin team was unbeaten in the last World Cup !!