PDA

View Full Version : Complaint Detroit is fucked

CunningLinguist
19-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Detroit just filed for bankruptcy (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-19/detroit-becomes-largest-us-city-to-file-for-bankruptcy/4829984):

Detroit by the numbers

411 homicides in 2012
58 minutes for police to respond to calls, compared to 11 mins nationwide
Only one third of the city's ambulances work
40 per cent of the city's streetlights don't work
78,000 abandoned buildings
Population down from 1.8 million in 1950 to 685,000 today
Debt of $US18.5 billion

ALittleToTheLeft
19-07-2013, 08:56 PM
A good friend of mine has been there, and I have been to similar cities in the American 'rustbelt'

It's a total hell hole, on par with the dodgiest parts of Africa.

Many of the old manufacturing and Steelworks cities are so depressing. Endless abandoned and burnt out factories and houses, or whole blocks bulldozed. Drug and Gun crime epidemics in many of these cities too.

The worst of the lot is not even Detroit - St. Louis has worse statistics.

All up, the following major cities are not worth a visit:

St. Louis
Detroit
Cleveland
Philly (most of it)
Pittsburgh
Baltimore
Columbus
Flint
Allentown

notable mention - some suburban parts of Washington DC are also pretty foul

CunningLinguist
19-07-2013, 09:00 PM
A good friend of mine has been there, and I have been to similar cities in the American 'rustbelt'

Many of the old manufacturing and Steelworks cities are so depressing. Endless abandoned and burnt out factories and houses, or whole blocks bulldozed. Drug and Gun crime epidemics in many of these cities too.

St. Louis
Detroit
Cleveland
Philly (most of it)
Pittsburgh
Baltimore
Columbus
Flint
Allentown

I like your term the "rustbelt" !
Looks like Detroit didn't invest the money from car making wisely ...

Bracket
19-07-2013, 11:42 PM
... All up, the following major cities are not worth a visit:

St. Louis
Detroit
Cleveland
Philly (most of it)
Pittsburgh
Baltimore
Columbus
Flint
Allentown ...Sure, you mightn't want to live in those places, but I think it's a bit rough to say that they're not worth even a visit. I've been to a number of those cities and they had great tourist attractions. The best was the Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, and another good one was the Museum of Westward Expansion with the Gateway Arch that you can go to the top of in St Louis. And even Detroit has the fantastic Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn.

Max Impact
20-07-2013, 12:29 AM
My World Vision sponsor child is in Mongolia and she seems to be doing very well. I'm wondering when I might soon be offered to sponsor in in the US.

Detroit was broke when I saw it in the 80's.

Max Impact
20-07-2013, 12:51 AM
Oh by the way, it must be a Punters' Paradise in Detroit right now!!

CunningLinguist
20-07-2013, 02:12 AM
Oh by the way, it must be a Punters' Paradise in Detroit right now!!

Wouldn't mind getting it on with a Motown chick, just not an original one ...

Kyoto206
20-07-2013, 11:37 AM

St. Louis
Detroit
Cleveland
Philly (most of it)
Pittsburgh
Baltimore
Columbus
Flint
Allentown

Lived in Cleveland for a fair amount of time but Detroit is just on a whole other level. Last I heard, industry is actually back on the rise in both Pittsburgh and Cleveland. Still though Come Visit (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY)

ALittleToTheLeft
20-07-2013, 01:23 PM
Lived in Cleveland for a fair amount of time but Detroit is just on a whole other level. Last I heard, industry is actually back on the rise in both Pittsburgh and Cleveland. Still though Come Visit (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY)

I was probably too harsh when I said 'NOT worth a visit'. Cities such as Cleveland however, they are sad places. I think mostly due to the fact that once upon a time these were the richest cities in the world.

It more a sadness and depression you feel upon seeing such a fall from grace.

I agree with you though, Detroit and St. Louis are totally the pits. Not unlike a warzone of sorts

punterian
20-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Houses are cheap...

MyOutCall Australia
20-07-2013, 07:14 PM
The funny thing is that Detroit bankrupt case got declined back by US Supreme Court yesterday. Haha

CunningLinguist
20-07-2013, 08:20 PM
The funny thing is that Detroit bankrupt case got declined back by US Supreme Court yesterday. Haha

Thanks for the latest news on that TinyTiny.
From here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23381456)

A judge in the US state of Michigan has ordered the city of Detroit to withdraw its application for bankruptcy over its debts of $18bn (£12bn).

Judge Rosemarie Aquilina said the petition, filed on Thursday, violated the state's laws and constitution because it threatened pension benefits.

But the state's attorney general immediately appealed against the order.

Earlier, Governor Rick Snyder said the move towards bankruptcy would reverse decades of decay.

Bankruptcy would allow Detroit's state-appointed emergency manager, Kevyn Orr, to liquidate the city's assets to try to meet the demands of creditors and pensioners.

aussiegaigin
20-07-2013, 10:32 PM

St. Louis
Detroit
Cleveland
Philly (most of it)
Pittsburgh
Baltimore
Columbus
Flint
Allentown

I went to a convention in Baltimore for a few days about 10 years ago. Not too bad around the CBD and harbourside areas, but the suburbs didn't seem too inspiring. Went down to Washington on the train, but after seeing the low-life around the station i was on the next train back.

micazzofamale
21-07-2013, 10:17 AM
just another sign of the rise of china and the fall of the us - as the chinese cities are growing at rapid pace the us industrial cities are dying. two of my mates both work in as managers in different industries and both manage staff in different countries - one in india and the other in malaysia. when i asked what gets manufactured in australia they both laughed and said nothing gets made here

jayw
21-07-2013, 10:27 AM
just another sign of the rise of china and the fall of the us - as the chinese cities are growing at rapid pace the us industrial cities are dying. two of my mates both work in as managers in different industries and both manage staff in different countries - one in india and the other in malaysia. when i asked what gets manufactured in australia they both laughed and said nothing gets made here

Mind you, if you see parts of China, and not just the famous big cities, you can see that China is leaving itself behind. There are so many areas that have not been included in the China boom, and are just being left out to dry.

CunningLinguist
21-07-2013, 11:39 AM

Err, that might have been the case but not know, have a read of this: China building mega cities but they remain empty ghost towns (http://www.news.com.au/business/china-building-mega-cities-but-they-remain-empty-sparking-fears-of-housing-bubble-burst/story-e6frfm1i-1226611169281)

CHINA is building new cities at an estimated rate of up to 12 to 24 a year - but while they are full of brand new homes and facilities, nobody wants to live there.

A recent CBS 60 Minutes report in the US exposed dozens of new cities in China sitting empty - with the apartments snapped up as investments by the nation's wealthy middle class, then sitting empty as the owners fail to find tenants who can meet the rent.

Financial experts fear the ghost town explosion will lead to a housing bubble burst, following China's real estate boom which came after the government changed its policy 15 years ago and allowed people to buy their homes.

The middle class saw real estate as a solid investment, more stable than the sharemarket and offering better returns than the banks.

ALittleToTheLeft
21-07-2013, 06:48 PM
The whole developed world is leveraged and indebted to the hilt.

China's property bubble is keeping our mining industry leaders up at night.

With the advent of 3D printing for example taking away Chinas cost advantage in manufacturing, the continuing rise in Chinese wealth is unlikely.

World citizen
21-07-2013, 07:43 PM
You miss the point. The US has been de-industralising for decades as it has transformed from a labour-intensive manufacturing economy toward one underpinned by knowledge based industries. The decline of detroit has coincided with the growth of silicon valley. Chinese workers toil with their hands. US workers (and australian too) increasingly work with their minds.

Feels good to be at the apex of the pyramid bro.

lockhart
21-07-2013, 09:17 PM
You miss the point. The US has been de-industralising for decades as it has transformed from a labour-intensive manufacturing economy toward one underpinned by knowledge based industries. The decline of detroit has coincided with the growth of silicon valley. Chinese workers toil with their hands. US workers (and australian too) increasingly work with their minds.

Feels good to be at the apex of the pyramid bro.

There is a degree of truth that comparatively US workers are more advance/sophisticated in the non-manufacturing field. However, complacency is taking its toll on western countries. (if work force thinks with Big Ball only and lost sight of where priorities should lies surely will narrow the gap quicker : i.e family, nation versus self ... ))) common sense.

ALittleToTheLeft
21-07-2013, 09:22 PM
There is a degree of truth that comparatively US workers are more advance/sophisticated in the non-manufacturing field. However, complacency is taking its toll on western countries. (if work force thinks with Big Ball only and lost sight of where priorities should lies surely will narrow the gap quicker : i.e family, nation versus self ... ))) common sense.

3D printing man, need to keep that in mind. It will destroy China's key advantage unless they can successfully diversify their economy

http://au.businessinsider.com/why-the-future-of-3d-printing-is-now-2013-6

http://theglobalindependent.com/?p=315

lockhart
21-07-2013, 09:56 PM
again true to certain extent.. However China is very different to India and other developing countries as it is of different class to .. It continues climbing up the ladder. As long as political situation continuous stabilized (under control), , personally, believe it is play to LOSS to under-estimate this country.

3D printing man, need to keep that in mind. It will destroy China's key advantage unless they can successfully diversify their economy

http://au.businessinsider.com/why-the-future-of-3d-printing-is-now-2013-6

http://theglobalindependent.com/?p=315