PDA

View Full Version : General talk The're All So Beautuful...

cmk76
08-08-2013, 01:14 PM
http://blog.chinalovematch.net/blog/article/Theyre-All-So-Beautiful

They're All So Beautiful
By Peter Vernezze

I just finished watching a web miniseries on Western men dating Asian women. Titled “They’re All So Beautiful,” the series was created by Debbie Lum, who directed the documentary film “Seeking Asian Female,” a film that has been discussed in blogs on this site.

The web series is a set of five segments each between 7-10 minutes long. Titled “What is Yellow Fever?” the first episode begins with a variety of Western men describing their attraction to Asia women. Some of these guys are sweet and appealing and some you would cross the street to avoid. All admit their attraction to women of Asian descent, although not a few feel the need to apologize for it. It soon becomes clear, however, that what’s at stake in this episode is not so much a definition of "yellow fever" (a term which I despise but which I feel compelled to use given the context) as an inquiry into whether it is a good or bad thing for Western men to be attracted to Asians.

Now the sane among us realize that attraction is really not something you can control, and that unless there is a demonstrable social harm such as is the case with pedophilia it makes no sense to criticize someone for who they are attracted to. But this is not enough to discourage a couple of (female) scholars from weighing in on the other side. Professor Elaine Kim declares that the attraction to women from Asia has to do with “the fascination of something that seems physiologically different, like bound feet and horizontal vaginas,” while Sheridan Prasso, author “The Asian Mystique,” compares the phenomenon to a leather fetish or shoe fetish.

To address the first point, if to be attracted to what is physiologically different is a pathological, you might as well condemn all heterosexuals as pathological, since by definition heterosexuals are attracted to someone who is physiologically different. Regarding the claim that being attracted to Asians is a fetish, there is no standard psychological interpretation of the term in which attraction to a particular race can be called a fetish. In fact, there is a rather fixed definition psychologically of what a fetish is: To get sexually aroused by a physical object like a shoe is a fetish; to be sexually aroused by one’s conception of beauty is, well, human nature.

To her credit, Lum does not take sides on this issue but merely presents the opposing points of view in order to open up a discussion, although I doubt any minds will be changed. If like me you think the attraction to Asian women is normal and natural, you will see the scholars as illogical ideologues, while if you happen to think there is something sick and twisted about the phenomenon, you will probably see the men as creepy. In any case, anyone engaged in cross cultural dating (which I guess would mean anyone on this website) should watch the series. I would be interested in your views and will be commenting on the other parts of the series in upcoming blog posts.

hikhik
08-08-2013, 10:19 PM
Very good piece if writing cmk76!

jellyshots
08-08-2013, 10:45 PM
Does that mean I have vanilla fever?

Sextus
09-08-2013, 12:01 AM

Unless it is a new pseudonym, then a Peter Verneeze wrote it! :miao:

cmk76
09-08-2013, 03:20 AM
Does that mean I have vanilla fever?

you most probably do... or more accurately, you have borscht fever...

cmk76
09-08-2013, 03:21 AM

no, no, no... all the credit goes to Pete, I am only sharing his piece...

Amos33
17-08-2013, 12:21 AM
Did anyone see new show It’s A Date on the ABC last night. It’s a comedy series exploring the trials and tribulations of the dating world. In this episode an aussie guy called Patrick plans to propose to his girlfriend played by Poh Ling Yeow at the putt putt golf course where they first kissed and where their parents are waiting to be in on the surprise. There are few mishaps on the journey as you may guess during which Poh also meets Patrick’s ex who also happens to be Asian and this makes her ask him just how many Asian girlfriends he has had and he admits to having one other as well, it is then that she accuses him of having Yellow Fever.The actual proposal doesn’t go well but it ends happily.

Each episode features two dates concurrently the other features Lisa McCune and Peter Helliar the comedian who is apparently the series writer. On their date Lisa ends up getting drunk at a Mexican restaurant and then they end up a strip joint where together they get a private lap dance from a big titted stripper. It was extremely funny and you can watch it on Iview if you like.

Boney
17-08-2013, 04:13 PM
John Saffran bless his little Jewish heart was also afflicted with Yellow Fever. A few years ago he did an interesting tv show where he stole girls underwear and did a sniff test to see which ones he found the most attractive, his poor ex who I think was involved in some sort of science had to drop her knickers as part of the experiment.

Maybe we should locate the show and rerun the experiment, see what we find. The more people involved the more valid the results.

jellyshots
20-08-2013, 01:25 AM
you most probably do... or more accurately, you have borscht fever...
Lol, and I like ze saurkraut too...

old fat man
20-08-2013, 08:51 AM
Very interesting and complex topic. I am sure many could simplify it to just a case of yellow fever ( I also despise this term) but it is probably as complicated as Asian cultures themselves, the psychology and physiology of Asian females is fascinating. My personal attraction to this is boundless yet not feverish. I have great respect for Asian ml of all ages, though do prefer not too young or too girlish looks.