PDA

View Full Version : General talk The Concept of "Face" in Chinese Culture

CunningLinguist
16-08-2013, 10:06 PM
This comes up every now and then, for those of us who are not Chinese this article may help to explain it: click here (http://voices.yahoo.com/the-concept-face-chinese-culture-566703.html?cat=69)

Some quotes:

Face is a concept not hard to understand because, even as Westerners, everyone has face. When equated to Western values, face is very similar to the notion of reputation. Face is a dynamic which applies to both personal and business relationships in China.

Corollary to face is the inseparable concept of guanxi or "relations". Face and guanxi work hand-in-hand. One without the other renders useless the dynamic these two concepts collectively work together.
HAVING FACE (GOOD FACE)
LOSING FACE (NO FACE)
SAVING FACE
LENDING FACE

CunningLinguist
16-08-2013, 10:10 PM
On a similar note: Chinese Etiquette (http://www.lostlaowai.com/chinese-culture/chinese-etiquette/)

Some quotes:
There is however a rather intricate etiquette system in China, that has developed over a couple thousand years, and it is a good idea to at least attempt to understand it – though mastery of it is often out of reach for visitors.
Should you get your romance on with a Chinese person, be sure to at least consider that the cultures are different. In a wide blanket statement, Chinese people are generally much more reserved than Westerners are used to. Guys, expect to do most of the groundwork with Chinese females, and girls, bet on being considered quite forward if you initiate things with a Chinese man
Yes = Maybe
Maybe = No
No is just not said

HengDai
16-08-2013, 10:12 PM
Nice article, I've had to explain this to mates in the past. I should've just sent them this article. Oh and Saving Face - great movie too!

CunningLinguist
16-08-2013, 10:16 PM
Nice article, I've had to explain this to mates in the past. I should've just sent them this article. Oh and Saving Face - great movie too!

What year was this movie, there have been a few with this name ?

Probably the 2004 one:
A Chinese-American lesbian and her traditionalist mother are reluctant to go public with secret loves that clash against cultural expectations

HengDai
16-08-2013, 10:25 PM
What year was this movie, there have been a few with this name ?

Probably the 2004 one:
A Chinese-American lesbian and her traditionalist mother are reluctant to go public with secret loves that clash against cultural expectations

Haha yes of course. One of my favourite scenes, so dam cute!
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xiadb0_michelle-krusiec-saving-face_lifestyle
I'd love to be the meat in their sandwich :)

asiafever
16-08-2013, 10:28 PM
On a similar note: Chinese Etiquette (http://www.lostlaowai.com/chinese-culture/chinese-etiquette/)

Some quotes:
There is however a rather intricate etiquette system in China, that has developed over a couple thousand years, and it is a good idea to at least attempt to understand it – though mastery of it is often out of reach for visitors.
Should you get your romance on with a Chinese person, be sure to at least consider that the cultures are different. In a wide blanket statement, Chinese people are generally much more reserved than Westerners are used to. Guys, expect to do most of the groundwork with Chinese females, and girls, bet on being considered quite forward if you initiate things with a Chinese man
Yes = Maybe
Maybe = No
No is just not said

No is sometimes said, and it means "Not in this life or the next.."
Japanese are the same, infuriating trying to get a straight answer!!

cmk76
16-08-2013, 10:43 PM
xxx xxx xxx

Sextus
17-08-2013, 12:11 AM
Yes = Maybe
Maybe = No
No is just not said

Haven't read the article you posted, but..

I was very much wondering about this, and sometime ago I pm'd ahlungor about it to see if my western understanding was misinterpreting some of the interaction I was having.with Chinese people. I was a little confused, but this is what I suspected was happening!

CunningLinguist
17-08-2013, 01:18 AM
Haven't read the article you posted, but..

I was very much wondering about this, and sometime ago I pm'd ahlungor about it to see if my western understanding was misinterpreting some of the interaction I was having.with Chinese people. I was a little confused, but this is what I suspected was happening!

I think it's worth reading both articles above, it will help you in more ways than you know ...

Licker
18-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Well, I have known about the cultural differences for quite some time, especially with Japanese from whom it is difficult to get any other answer than 'yes'.
At times it was frustrating when you did not know whether you were understood at all (language barrier) or were refused very politely.

Now, after reading this, I'm trying to remember whether I've heard the word 'no' from my GF, but I cannot recall any.
She's good at letting me know that, without actually saying it though :miao:

One question though: How does the Concept of "giving face" fit in the Chinese Culture, and how does it affect the guanxi and the Face of the person "receiving face"?

:cool2::thirst:

CunningLinguist
18-08-2013, 06:54 PM
Well, I have known about the cultural differences for quite some time, especially with Japanese from whom it is difficult to get any other answer than 'yes'.
At times it was frustrating when you did not know whether you were understood at all (language barrier) or were refused very politely.

Now, after reading this, I'm trying to remember whether I've heard the word 'no' from my GF, but I cannot recall any.

One question though: How does the Concept of "giving face" fit in the Chinese Culture, and how does it affect the guanxi and the Face of the person "receiving face"?

I'll defer to one of our Chinese Bros to answer this ...

jellyshots
20-08-2013, 01:28 AM

In Japan they don't say "ie" as a general rule. It's more like,, particularly if they keep saying things like that."I would prefer something else" which actually translates to quite a firm "no".