PDA

View Full Version : General talk questions for over 40s

Wayne
27-08-2013, 06:31 PM
Who, on this forum, are over 40 and have had their prostate health tested? Have you had your GP stick their finger up your bum? Better still, has your GP given you a blood test for prostate specific antigen (PSA)? This is particularly important if you have a family history of cancer in the prostate, or breast - there is a correlation; so if your mother, or aunt or grandmother, has had breast cancer then you are more likely to develop prostate cancer than if she had not.

Now, after these questions, who knows what your prostate is? What does it produce, what is its function? What role does the prostate play in your sex life? Is it important?

CunningLinguist
27-08-2013, 07:28 PM
All I know is I have had a WL stick her finger up my bum ...
Maybe she used to be a doctor, or maybe she thought we were playing doctor and patient ...

AHLUNGOR
27-08-2013, 08:07 PM
Who, on this forum, are over 40 and have had their prostate health tested? Have you had your GP stick their finger up your bum? Better still, has your GP given you a blood test for prostate specific antigen (PSA)? This is particularly important if you have a family history of cancer in the prostate, or breast - there is a correlation; so if your mother, or aunt or grandmother, has had breast cancer then you are more likely to develop prostate cancer than if she had not.

Now, after these questions, who knows what your prostate is? What does it produce, what is its function? What role does the prostate play in your sex life? Is it important?

Hi brother Wayne,

You obviously know all the answers, so why don't you just share with us!!

Many thanks

Cheers

BTW, the best semi doctor who has good fingers: Leng, Mimi , Lisa and Yuki in that order.

croney
27-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Get both done.Finger and blood.
Small price for peace of mind.

rooter
27-08-2013, 09:08 PM
I can't believe people actually seek serious advice about health issues on this forum! WTF!
It's a punting forum!
There are plenty of reputable health care sites on the web.
Better still there are plenty of qualified and experienced GPs in Sydney - and some of them still bulk bill.

Lomax
27-08-2013, 09:33 PM
Have you had your GP stick their finger up your bum?

I prefer WL toungue

CunningLinguist
27-08-2013, 09:33 PM
I can't believe people actually seek serious advice about health issues on this forum! WTF!
It's a punting forum!
There are plenty of reputable health care sites on the web.
Better still there are plenty of qualified and experienced GPs in Sydney - and some of them still bulk bill.

I think it is ok to raise serious questions like this, they may not always get a serious answer but it is the General Talk section so it is ok to ask.

Wayne
27-08-2013, 10:06 PM
My intention, in posting this thread, was simply to draw attention to an issue that all men ought to have, at least, a rudimentary understanding. Judging by the above comments, you are as ignorant as i supposed.

You all have a prostate, and you all use your prostate when you "lose your load," so surely; you should understand when something goes wrong with this rather important part of your anatomy.

And, more men die of prostate cancer than women of breast cancer. We dedicate cricket and footy games to "pink" days to raise awareness of breast cancer. We men are short changed. Why aren't there "blue" days at the cricket?

pelham123
27-08-2013, 10:32 PM
I got tested last year because I have BPH. Of course I didn't know I had BPH until I got tested and the doctor gave the results.

CunningLinguist
28-08-2013, 12:17 AM
I got tested last year because I have BPH. Of course I didn't know I had BPH until I got tested and the doctor gave the results.

WARNING a diagram of a penis follows:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cd/Benign_Prostatic_Hyperplasia_nci-vol-7137-300.jpg/800px-Benign_Prostatic_Hyperplasia_nci-vol-7137-300.jpg

ilovefs
28-08-2013, 08:46 AM
Just make sure when your male doctor is checking your prostate that he doesn't have both hands on your shoulders :)

CunningLinguist
28-08-2013, 09:36 AM
Just make sure when your male doctor is checking your prostate that he doesn't have both hands on your shoulders :)

I guess he wouldn't be needing rubber gloves using this technique ...

Wayne
28-08-2013, 06:39 PM
thanks CunningLinguist, for the diagram. Shows the issue with an enlarged prostate well - all men will eventually experience this to some degree. Those with a family history of cancer ought to be more careful and get annual checks. The finger up the bum is only partially effective. PSAs are essential, and even so, your GP needs to appreciate the variations in PSA levels: its not just about a raised PSA, its about altered levels.

To answer one of my earlier questions: your prostate produces most of your ejaculate. So, if you lose your prostate you lose your ejaculate. Sans prostate, no cum. If your surgeon has been careful, and not damaged the penile nerves too much, you can still get a hard on, but with a reduced sensation (and not at all with a condom on). You can still reach a climax and have that sense of "ah".

La Mooh
28-08-2013, 07:19 PM

Hahahaha! Nice one. :D

CunningLinguist
28-08-2013, 08:26 PM
thanks CunningLinguist, for the diagram. Shows the issue with an enlarged prostate well - all men will eventually experience this to some degree. Those with a family history of cancer ought to be more careful and get annual checks. The finger up the bum is only partially effective. PSAs are essential, and even so, your GP needs to appreciate the variations in PSA levels: its not just about a raised PSA, its about altered levels.

To answer one of my earlier questions: your prostate produces most of your ejaculate. So, if you lose your prostate you lose your ejaculate. Sans prostate, no cum. If your surgeon has been careful, and not damaged the penile nerves too much, you can still get a hard on, but with a reduced sensation (and not at all with a condom on). You can still reach a climax and have that sense of "ah".

Is there anything we can do to avoid or minimise this problem ?
Does copious amounts of sex with young slim WLs help ?

Licker
28-08-2013, 09:20 PM
Is there anything we can do to avoid or minimise this problem ?
Does copious amounts of sex with young slim WLs help ?

Ejaculating frequently has a correlation to lower risk of prostate cancer. (a statistical correlation, see the whole article from New Scientist)
The buildup over time goes "stale" and some cells start to mutate.

From New Scientist: Frequent ejaculation may protect against cancer (http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn4861-frequent-ejaculation-may-protect-against-cancer.html#.Uh3NVpKno-E)

Men of different ages varied in how often they ejaculated, so the team used a lifetime average for comparisons. Compared to the reference group who ejaculated four to seven times a month, "each increase of three ejaculations per week was associated with a 15 per cent decrease in the risk of prostate cancer", says Leitzmann.
"Increased ejaculation may allow the prostate gland to clear itself of carcinogens or of materials that form a substrate for the development of carcinogens," Giles told New Scientist.

Another theory is that frequent drainage of prostate fluid stops tiny crystalloid microcalcifications - which have been associated with prostate cancer - from forming in the prostate duct, says Leitzmann.

So basic principle applies: Use it or lose it! :cool2:

Wayne
28-08-2013, 09:28 PM
[QUOTE=Licker;407679]Ejaculating frequently has a correlation to lower risk of prostate cancer. /QUOTE]

exactly what my urologist said Licker. Apparently men who have less sex - and sex less regularly - have a higher incidence of prostate cancer. Keep a routine and, as CunningLinguist suggests, fuck as many slim, young WLs as possible.

CunningLinguist
28-08-2013, 10:53 PM
[QUOTE=Licker;407679]Ejaculating frequently has a correlation to lower risk of prostate cancer. /QUOTE]

exactly what my urologist said Licker. Apparently men who have less sex - and sex less regularly - have a higher incidence of prostate cancer. Keep a routine and, as CunningLinguist suggests, fuck as many slim, young WLs as possible.

I wonder if my health fund will cover this ...
How often do I need to ejaculate ?
Does getting CIM provide extra protection :)

Max Impact
28-08-2013, 11:17 PM
I always choose a female doctor with small fingers and I sympathise with little Japanese girls that smile when I insert a digit in their poop-chute.

Licker
29-08-2013, 12:31 AM
I wonder if my health fund will cover this ...

Not as often as you would like.
Most funds have a fairly low limit for "remedial massages" that they cover. :cry:

How often do I need to ejaculate ?

Not as often as you would like.
15 times a month seemed to be the optimum, additional times did not seem to lover the risk.
It does not mean though, that you could not ejaculate more often - if you like. :cool2:

Does getting CIM provide extra protection :)

Unfortunately not, however much you would like it.
It does give her some fresh protein into her diet though :)
That is, if you have ejaculated often enough, so that it hasn't gone stale :thirst:

mattemeiser
29-08-2013, 12:40 AM
We dedicate cricket and footy games to "pink" days to raise awareness of breast cancer. We men are short changed. Why aren't there "blue" days at the cricket?

Women have always been known as the "fairer" sex and like to portray the helpless victim when it suits them. Unfortunately many men are happy to white-knight and "save" these damsels in distress. In Western societies and Australia in general, men are left to their own devices and told to toughen-up with a "she'll be right" attitude and deal with hardships that they experience.

Also to be fair, there aren't any women sports that have the viewership or fan-base than men sports. The cricket McGrath pink day thing was linked about Glen's wife. I agree that its not kosher men's issues aren't receiving the same media coverage or awareness that women's issues are. 2nd-class citizens men are...

hikhik
29-08-2013, 01:46 AM
Ive heard it's painful - but I just got an image of an old man trying desperately to urinate, but he can't. At what age can I look forward to that nightmare?
I think ill play it safe and visit more WL as a preventative measure. Can't be too careful!

argusplayer
29-08-2013, 09:04 AM
Hey Wayne

You wouldn't be a doctor trying to drum up business would you...........lol

Licker
29-08-2013, 10:35 PM
Hey Wayne

You wouldn't be a doctor trying to drum up business would you...........lol

That's a lame comment, if I ever heard one. Think before you write, please!

Wayne has actually suffered (and is suffering) from it, so he is just trying to raise the awareness to the matter.
(He has told it on the forum before, so I don't feel bad disclosing the information.)

My father had prostate cancer and was treated with radiation therapy (less drastic on your prostate and the ability to have sex if successful), which took about 6 months.
I cannot stress more the need for you to get checked if you are over 40.
I have.

This is no laughing matter, even though my last post was a joke (though well intended as ejaculating often seems to help)

It really is no big deal to get yourself tested, especially when

From: http://www.prostate.org.au/articleLive/pages/Prostate-Cancer-Statistics.html

Each year in Australia, close to 3,300 men die of prostate cancer, which exceeds the number of women who die from breast cancer annually. Around 20,000 new cases are diagnosed in Australia every year.

You don't want to be one of those who die!!!
You want to be one of those who are diagnosed early enough that it can be treated.

Bracket
30-08-2013, 12:13 AM
The medical profession regards the PSA test as controversial, to put it mildly - far too many false positives. Of course if you're one of the true positives that it detects then you will be eternally grateful, but if it detects you as positive falsely and the treatment makes you impotent and incontinent you'll have a less charitable view.

My GP arranges for the finger probe to be done whenever I have a colonoscopy ("while you're up there would you mind ...":eek:), another essential preventative procedure for us older blokes - forget the government-funded FOB test.

CunningLinguist
30-08-2013, 01:13 AM
How to Check Your Prostate (http://www.wikihow.com/Check-Your-Prostate)

Maybe the government should educate MLs and WLs on how to do this ...

Some tips:
The bathroom is a nice comfortable and private place since some women will not understand.

Put one foot up on the toilet seat. Bend over and spread you legs until a couple of feet. Tickle your perineum and gently inset your forefinger a bit then relax and insert your entire finger. You'll find your prostate. Rotate your finger and examine your entire prostate. palpate for firmness and bumps. Take your time! Bend forward as necessary and know that the process becomes easier with practice.

Punter Poontang
30-08-2013, 01:21 AM
Maybe the government should educate MLs and WLs on how to do this ...

Haven't clicked the link, but this is nothing short of pure genius!! You're guaranteed to get a higher take-up of check-ups, increasing early detection, with the added benefit of reduced need for ED drugs under the PBS. :-P

Wayne
30-08-2013, 04:37 PM
G'day Bracket, good to hear from you again. But I think you have unwittingly been taken in by some of the propaganda that some vested interests in the medical profession are peddling. Medicine, like all professions, is about opinion. Two professionals presented with the identical set of data will come up with five different points of view. Doctors are the same; but with the added factor of powerful pharmo-tech companies pushing their agendas. In Sydney's case, the hugely expensive robot at St Vincent's that will rip your prostate out in a jiffey, send you home and promises that you will be fucking again in a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, it is not as simple as that.

To counter the St Vincent's mob, Sydney Uni are pushing the line your doctor has obviously swallowed, that PSAs are not definitive and that men ought not to fret about their prostate health. As is generally the case, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Men's prostate enlarges as we age. It is a biological fact, which I suspect is related to reproduction favouring the young. Nature wants to get rid of older men who have had their time. Enlarging the prostate is one of many biological mechanisms ensuring the healthiest and strongest are reproducing. But that is an aside. As with all reproductive tissue, the possibility of replication error is high. Cancer is simply a DNA disease, which is a reason tumours occur more commonly in reproductive tissue. In women this is the breasts and men, the prostate. Tracking the proteins associated with your prostate is simply a measure of activity. You are partially correct that a high PSA does not necessarily indicate tumours. But that is not the point. The point is of variation in prostate activity. If you go from 3 in one reading to 4 in the next and then down to 2.5 the next, you ought to be concerned.

What your doctor is failing to communicate is that while there are false positives in all tests, no surgeon is going to dive in and take out organs without doing a biopsy first. If your doctors detects an enlarging prostate and variations in your PSA, they will get a bit of tissue and look to see if there are tumours. Then, and only then, will they start fiddling with their scalpels.

But you are right about getting it all checked out with your regular colonoscopy. But please don't discount the effectiveness of PSAs. In my own case, my GP thought my PSA was OK. I happen to have a medical background and was unhappy with his rationale, so sought a second opinion. The biopsy found dozens of the little bastards waiting to metastasize. If I had listened to "accepted" medical advice, I would be dead by now. I have known three blokes who died in their 40s from prostate cancer. It really is not something to be blase about. And it really is not such an invasion to ensure you are healthy.

The medical profession regards the PSA test as controversial, to put it mildly - far too many false positives. Of course if you're one of the true positives that it detects then you will be eternally grateful, but if it detects you as positive falsely and the treatment makes you impotent and incontinent you'll have a less charitable view.

My GP arranges for the finger probe to be done whenever I have a colonoscopy ("while you're up there would you mind ...":eek:), another essential preventative procedure for us older blokes - forget the government-funded FOB test.

CunningLinguist
30-08-2013, 06:56 PM
Thanks for explaining all that Wayne!
I'm gonna go straight to the dunny and check myself :)

Wayne
30-08-2013, 07:13 PM
Thanks for explaining all that Wayne!
I'm gonna go straight to the dunny and check myself :)

don't check yourself, get some hot young working girl to check you out. Maybe schedule a regular session with her - every so often she sticks her finger up your arse. Makes it fun and prepares you for when your GP does it. And Licker is right.

Action Pump
30-08-2013, 07:45 PM
Ejaculating too much can cause problems too especially as you age.

My doc was telling me a story that one of his patient, 20's something, was complaining about urethra/prostate pain. He asked him how many times did he masturbate. He replied at least 3 times a day. Doc told him to control the urges. He did and pain was gone.

I love my doc...always have medical stories. Some gory, some weird and some shouldn't be told.

Bracket
31-08-2013, 12:23 AM
... But I think you have unwittingly been taken in by some of the propaganda that some vested interests in the medical profession are peddling. ... To counter the St Vincent's mob, Sydney Uni are pushing the line your doctor has obviously swallowed, that PSAs are not definitive and that men ought not to fret about their prostate health. ... What your doctor is failing to communicate is that while there are false positives in all tests, no surgeon is going to dive in and take out organs without doing a biopsy first. If your doctors detects an enlarging prostate and variations in your PSA, they will get a bit of tissue and look to see if there are tumours. Then, and only then, will they start fiddling with their scalpels. ...What I didn't say before, Wayne, was that when my GP brought up the subject of prostate health years ago, I made up my mind on PSA after doing my own research rather than asking my GP what I should do. To this day I don't know my GP's opinion on the efficacy of PSA tests.

I did the research some years ago now and it's no longer fresh in my mind, but IIRC, even though a biopsy may reveal cancerous tissue, what isn't known is whether that cancerous tissue is something you will die from (fast growing) or die with (slow growing). Further, there was no history of prostate cancer in my family.

So I told my GP that I didn't want one and when I said no we went the colonoscopy route.

Wayne
31-08-2013, 09:31 AM
yeah Bracket, you are right about there being differing rates of growth in tumours; reflecting differing genetic profiles and other, as yet poorly understood, factors. You may well be on the fortunate side of the genetic lottery. I'm not, nor are 20,000 other Australian men every year. I think the point with health issues is to minimise as many risk-factors as possible. An annual PSA test and a finger up the bum is really not particularly onerous. Always better to know, then make decisions, than remain unaware until too late.

What I didn't say before, Wayne, was that when my GP brought up the subject of prostate health years ago, I made up my mind on PSA after doing my own research rather than asking my GP what I should do. To this day I don't know my GP's opinion on the efficacy of PSA tests.

I did the research some years ago now and it's no longer fresh in my mind, but IIRC, even though a biopsy may reveal cancerous tissue, what isn't known is whether that cancerous tissue is something you will die from (fast growing) or die with (slow growing). Further, there was no history of prostate cancer in my family.

So I told my GP that I didn't want one and when I said no we went the colonoscopy route.