PDA

View Full Version : General talk Is Abbott's PPL too generous and the cash incentives for long term unemployed unfair?

AHLUNGOR
29-08-2013, 04:17 PM
I have been reading a lot about the Paid Parental Leave schemes from Abbotts - that we can't afford it !

And the latest cash incentive for the long term unemployed is unfair to the regular wage earners who pay taxes along the way:

(if a LTU keeps a full time job for 12 months, they will receive a $2,500 cash incentive, after two years, another $4,000!)

Like to hear all you smart brothers' opinions.

Here is mine:

On the PPL, the cut off limit is at $150,000 annual income, personally I like to see that reduced down to $100K but I can see what Abbott is thinking, apart from having three daughters himself.............lol

How many working mothers are actually on a salary over $100K, I think the great majority of a married women are on an average salary/wages between $50K-$100K, not many are over and plenty are below. I don't think people are unhappy with the scheme, in fact I have heard a few female colleauges very happy about that and will hold off starting a family until the scheme kicks in. and most of them are between $50K to $80K!

If we look at this on the woman's point of view who is actually earning say $150K a year, she is unlikely to be 18 or 21, more like over 30+, she would probably have a degree, started work when she was 22/23 on a salary of $40-$45K and worked her butts off to get ahead and get to the six figure salary and would have paid a lot more tax than those ladies who are on $40K-$60K. So she probably absolutely thinks that she deserves every dollar of the $75K she is gonna to get from the government, and she is more like to return to her high paid job and continue to pay more tax !

Just my 2 cents

Now on the cash incentive, I was driving on peak hours traffic when this was announced on the radio and every person who rang in was not happy about it and said, why, and why did he who started working at 18 and pay tax and not get anything from the government.

The way I see it, I think this incentive is a fair idea, and I hope it will work, it is no secret that there are long term unemployment problems especially among the youths. in order to break the cycle, may be this is a possibility. Think about it, if the person has got a full time job, for a year, he is off Centrelink payment - may still get some rental assistance or something, but he is off the dole and when he is working, he pay tax !! so the $2,500 bonus after 12 months to say well done is a good thing to do. The government would have save a lot of money if the person is working rather than continue on the dole, the two year incentive is the same. and if someone is actually woking for two years, he is likely to keep working rather than back on the dole.

I'll support this.

What say you ??