PDA

View Full Version : General talk Miss the old times

Fisher
21-09-2013, 07:05 PM
As i got my 4wd back on friday arvo decided while sitting at home to go for cruise like the old days.
Cruised down parra rd then out too bondi,left bondi cruise down too rose bay onto kings cross through the cross too harrys for hot dogs.
Back up into town down george st to the rocks whilst sitting here at the rocks it does not feel the same as the old days my mate is here with his missus but back ten years ago there was five cars four people to a car we would leave at 6 pm and get home at 3am the next morning.
How many other bros do something you used to reguarly on a whim but it does not feel the same and you miss the way it was?

ALittleToTheLeft
21-09-2013, 10:02 PM
I know exactly what you are talking about, and it's called age. One day you are a young buck, full head of hair, bollocks full of jizz, world at your feet, feeling enthusiastic about life - before you know it, you are going bald, putting on weight, stuck with a nagging wife, no sex, deadend career and feeling nostaligic about 'the good old days' with your mates.

Aside from that, Sydney is depressing these days. Rent increases have driven a lot of the Uni students and low-income creative types out, many of the ones that used to cram into the inner west and inner east are now out in the burbs living with mum and dad. This is the crowd that made the city interesting and alive and diverse. This crowd has been replaced by conservative cashed up, muesli chewing greenie-yuppies. If you earn under 80,000K per year, it is very difficult to live comfortably in the inner city.
Live music venues have been decimated, in large part by enabling of pokies but also because their client base has been driven out. Many good pubs have closed, as the yuppified clientele prefer clubs with $20 entry fees and fat bouncers and such.
Media driven fear campaigns about the safety of our streets make to many people on edge and afraid to try new things or go out, when on a global scale Sydney is so safe it is ridiculous. I can walk along, hold my wallet with a 20 hanging out for blocks without fear of being robbed. Sure, tragedies happen, including that poor lad who got belted in Kings Cross. But these are highly rare occourances on a per 100,000 person basis.
But the biggest thing? Hypocritical of me of course, but the internet. More specifically, smartphones. Nobody has proper conversation with each other anymore. Even though we are more 'connected', we are less connected than ever. Its created a lot of isloated people who go through life in their own little silo, and dont move out of their own narrow little clique. The result is it is nigh on impossible to meet anyone outside of your existing group for friendship or other.

In short Fisher, your are not imagining things.

yellow_fever
21-09-2013, 11:31 PM
+1 on the high cost of living in the city. I used to live in the city as a young bloke, nowadays could never afford it. Was talking to a thai girl today, told me she shares a room with 9 other girls (!). That's a room, not an apartment. I asked her if they had room for one more!

Have met quite a few (much) younger asian girls over the past few years living in similar conditions... 4-6 people to a room, and people sleeping in the living room also, even converting closed in balconies to a bedroom.

Fisher
21-09-2013, 11:40 PM
Yes agree cost of everything goes up every year but salaries/wages always seem to be five years behind and when it does go up employers expect you to perform more duties.
I have also had a few wls/mls say they share rooms/apartments with a few other people to make it cheaper but this also would bring its own inherent problems between the people sharing hese places

cmk76
22-09-2013, 12:06 AM
xxx xxx xxx

herecticx
22-09-2013, 12:21 AM
Things change brother fish and thats life.

Maybe its time to make some new changes or pathe new paths?

Boney
22-09-2013, 08:55 AM
Life is good, kids are passing off, gone from supporting 6 people soon down to 2 or maybe just myself, paying for sex so I get it when I want with no strings. Doing yoga so my body is better than it has been for years, the sun is shining, life is being reborn in the spring. But it is true the only constant is change, otherwise life would be damn boring. Seize the day while you still can, look for the half full cups. Remember every loaf of bread doesn't have two ends, just two beginnings.

And enjoy your down times, just put a limit on them so they don't go on forever.

Goddam I can talk a load of shit.

wilisno
22-09-2013, 09:29 AM
Life is good, kids are passing off, gone from supporting 6 people soon down to 2 or maybe just myself, paying for sex so I get it when I want with no strings. Doing yoga so my body is better than it has been for years, the sun is shining, life is being reborn in the spring. But it is true the only constant is change, otherwise life would be damn boring. Seize the day while you still can, look for the half full cups. Remember every loaf of bread doesn't have two ends, just two beginnings.

And enjoy your down times, just put a limit on them so they don't go on forever.

Goddam I can talk a load of shit.

Very positive load of shit and very well presented, bravo !

Travelmate
22-09-2013, 11:57 AM
yes the best old days was there is no such thing call GST tax of 10%

cocktus
22-09-2013, 03:04 PM
yes the best old days was there is no such thing call GST tax of 10%

it will be 12.5% before too long mate =)

wilisno
22-09-2013, 03:06 PM
it will be 12.5% before too long mate =)
Gift from the Liberals !

Licker
22-09-2013, 03:12 PM
Gift from the Liberals !

Well, you gotta get the money from somewhere, and if it's not the carbon tax, then it's up for GST or income tax.

God forbid, they would try cut the spending.

Aus99 Moderator
22-09-2013, 03:28 PM
Well, you gotta get the money from somewhere, and if it's not the carbon tax, then it's up for GST or income tax.

God forbid, they would try cut the spending.

Cut spending sounds good ! It goes in circle : curt spending -> slow down economy -> job loss -> increased spending on welfare -> decreased revenue from tax -> get new tax from somewhere ... Shouldn't have to wait too long to see the result !

wilisno
22-09-2013, 03:31 PM
Cut spending sounds good ! It goes in circle : curt spending -> slow down economy -> job loss -> increased spending on welfare -> decreased revenue from tax -> get new tax from somewhere ... Shouldn't have to wait too long to see the result !
Don't worry, there's always a previous government to blame ! ;) ;) ;)

Licker
22-09-2013, 03:59 PM

Yes, it is a zero sum game (same money spinning around in circles), unless there is an influx of money from abroad.
That would mean developing new items to export that outweigh the value of imports.
And by items I mean preferably something manufactured in Australia, not just the raw materials (iron, coal...) which are then imported back from China as consumables.

Cutting government spending does not necessarily mean slowing down the economy, or are you saying that whatever the government currently does (as services provided to the citizens in return of taxes paid) is fine tuned to the point that there are no possible improvements in the process?

P.S. I have nothing what-so-ever against importing cute WL's and ML's :)

Licker
22-09-2013, 04:01 PM
That would mean developing new items to export that outweigh the value of imports.

And this is where I would be happy to see the government to increase the spending.
Offering grants to universities and companies who do R&D and innovate.
They are doing that already, but it could be more.

Aus99 Moderator
22-09-2013, 04:07 PM
Yes, it is a zero sum game (same money spinning around in circles), unless there is an influx of money from abroad.
And by items I mean preferably something manufactured in Australia, not just the raw materials (iron, coal...) which are then imported back from China as consumables.

Cutting government spending does not necessarily mean slowing down the economy, or are you saying that whatever the government currently does (as services provided to the citizens in return of taxes paid) is fine tuned to the point that there are no possible improvements in the process?

P.S. I have nothing what-so-ever against importing cute WL's and ML's :)

No system can deal with all aspects of economy, but evidence have shown spending at the right time have saved Australia from the world depression !

wilisno
22-09-2013, 04:09 PM
And don't forget non-spending had rendered the country into disrepair ! But never mind, the next government will pick up the tap and wear the blame ! ;) ;) ;)

mista
22-09-2013, 05:52 PM
Not so funny afterall!

PhoBot
22-09-2013, 07:13 PM
In some ways I miss the old days, but I like the age I'm at now (not old) but it suits the times.

I reckon it would suck being 18-19 today the way everything is strictly controlled.

When I was 19 I got caught doing 200+ kph on my Suzuki Katana 1100, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Suzukikatana1100-2010.JPG The cop called me a fucking idiot then told me he'd give his right nut for a Katana like mine and gave me a ticket for < 15 over :) Reckon that would happen today?

I think happiness is accepting the stage you're at in your life and doing the things that make you happy.

IExperiment
23-09-2013, 01:50 AM
In some ways I miss the old days, but I like the age I'm at now (not old) but it suits the times.

I reckon it would suck being 18-19 today the way everything is strictly controlled.

When I was 19 I got caught doing 200+ kph on my Suzuki Katana 1100, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Suzukikatana1100-2010.JPG The cop called me a fucking idiot then told me he'd give his right nut for a Katana like mine and gave me a ticket for < 15 over :) Reckon that would happen today?

I think happiness is accepting the stage you're at in your life and doing the things that make you happy.

He will put you in jail this days.
I prefer to be at early 20s age in body and health but today know how and wages :)

jellyshots
23-09-2013, 09:23 AM
Sun is shining, birds are singing. Banging little harem of ML's. Life is grand. I completely agree with Boney. Oh, and I really don't give a crap about GST. It's 2.5c for every dollar increased. It's not as if guys like me pay a lot of tax anyway.