PDA

View Full Version : General talk Gonorrhoea has gone Super Bug

Boney
30-09-2013, 06:15 PM
Well guys, just when you thought it was safe to bare back Gonorrhoea has turned into a super bug. A new strain is resistant to antibiotics, there is only one antibiotics which can be used to treat it and it is not 100% effective, also it has to be injected. Apparently it was first detected in Japan, and is a result of the overuse of antibiotics. Like climate change the overuse of antibiotics has been ignored for years so that now more and more diseases are becoming antibiotic resistant. In a lot of Asian countries antibiotics can just be purchased over the counter and sex workers buy them to to take before working to prevent them getting STI's. Well now we have a super STI there are only two ways to prevent it, condoms and abstinence, everything else is Russian roulette, when we had the HIV scare not only did this reduce the number of new infections it also reduced dramatically the number of Syphilis cases. The bacteria can live in the anus , vaginally, or throat, this kind of limits sexual activities .

The symptoms of Gonorrhoea in men are sometimes non existent , sometimes sore balls, burning sensation when urinating and/or a discharge (green, white or yellow in colour) the symptoms take 1 to14 days to appear. Sometimes the only symptom may be a sore throat. Long term the disease can cause sterility in both males and females and if untreated (because there ain't no effective antibiotics) joint disease and possible death.

Oh yes, forgot to mention it has been found in Australia .

Just a few thoughts .

Wayne
30-09-2013, 06:25 PM
life is a sexually transmitted disease.

I always have two reactions to these new health stories. First is "oh shit," there is something new to get worried about. And there are an awful lot of things to get worried about. Lets do something about it.

But then, five minutes later I prefer not to think about the risks to life. There are simply too many to become paranoid about. Better just concentrate on the footy, vote in a moron as PM, and take the precautions I have been using in my 30 years of punting. I'd rather just enjoy the moment than think about the future.

vvillie
30-09-2013, 07:20 PM

I always have two reactions to these new health stories. First is "oh shit," there is something new to get worried about. And there are an awful lot of things to get worried about. Lets do something about it.

But then, five minutes later I prefer not to think about the risks to life. There are simply too many to become paranoid about. Better just concentrate on the footy, vote in a moron as PM, and take the precautions I have been using in my 30 years of punting. I'd rather just enjoy the moment than think about the future.

I agree with you Wayne. Yes, if we keep getting bogged down with the little things, we are unable to enjoy the bigger picture. Stay smart and practice safe sex with your wl/ml. Although the risk of infection can be reduced by practicing safe sex, it still exists, and dwelling on it can drive you insane!

Licker
30-09-2013, 09:52 PM

I'm worried about the baggage retrieval system they've got at Heathrow!

Listen to this: I'm So Worried (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0e10baH6cE)

Or read below, but I think the song with the worried voice speaks more than just the words.

I'm so worried about what's happening today
In the Middle East, you know
And I'm so worried about the baggage retrieval
System they've got at Heathrow

I'm so worried about the fashions today
I don't think they're good for your feet
And I'm so worried about the shows on TV
That sometimes they want to repeat

I'm so worried about what's happening today
And you know
And I'm worried about the baggage retrieval

I'm so worried about my hair falling out
And the state of the world today
And I'm so worried about being so full of doubt
About everything anyway

I'm so worried about modern technology
I'm so worried about all the things
That they dump in the sea, I'm so worried about it
Worried about it, worried, worried, worried

I'm so worried about everything that can go wrong
I'm so worried about whether people like this song
I'm so worried about this very next verse
It isn't the best that I've got

And I'm so worried about whether I should go on
Or whether I shouldn't just stop

I'm worried about whether I ought to have stopped
And I'm worried because it's the sort of thing I ought to know
And I'm so worried about the baggage retrieval

I'm so worried about whether I should have stopped then
I'm so worried that I'm driving everyone round the bend
I'm worried about the baggage retrieval

Courtesy of Monty Python

Boney
01-10-2013, 11:24 AM
The difference is that if you catch it, you don't get rid of it because the medication doesn't work anymore.

wilisno
01-10-2013, 12:28 PM
An interesting thought :

As Insurance companies would charge a higher premium for high risk policies, such as a car garaged at Campsie would have a higher premium than one at Flemington.

A life insurance would ask if you would engage in dangerous activities like Car Racing and Sky Diving.

I wonder why Health insurance companies don't put this question in the insurance proposal ? " Are you or have you ever been a punter ? " They do ask this for a smoker ...

Does it mean punting is considered low risk ? ;) ;) ;)

Wayne
01-10-2013, 03:58 PM
An interesting thought :

As Insurance companies would charge a higher premium for high risk policies, such as a car garaged at Campsie would have a higher premium than one at Flemington.

A life insurance would ask if you would engage in dangerous activities like Car Racing and Sky Diving.

I wonder why Health insurance companies don't put this question in the insurance proposal ? " Are you or have you ever been a punter ? " They do ask this for a smoker ...

Does it mean punting is considered low risk ? ;) ;) ;)

you are correct; and it would make complete sense to charge higher premiums for those who indulge in risky behaviour. However, I reckon too many suits in the higher echelons of those insurance companies would find it difficult to explain to their wives why they are suddenly deemed high risk.

PhoBot
01-10-2013, 04:22 PM

Being worried about all the silly things the media wants to scare you with, dog attack, Islamic extremists, gamma ray bursts is a bit silly, but seeing as this is a community which participates in less than safe sex, with girls from the exact part of the world where an untreatable strain of gonorrhoea comes from warrants attention.

Wayne
01-10-2013, 04:42 PM
Being worried about all the silly things the media wants to scare you with, dog attack, Islamic extremists, gamma ray bursts is a bit silly, but seeing as this is a community which participated in less than safe sex, with girls from the exact part of the world where an untreatable strain of gonorrhoea comes from warrants attention.

Of course, you are correct. But there several questions about methodology, statistical relevance and the parameters of the study that must be asked before we all don full body condoms - I'm thinking Dr Rumack in Flying High. Really, it is a bit like that odious Tom Waterhouse telling people to gamble responsibly; everyone needs to accept there are risks in whatever you do and therefore take due care. If anyone on this forum knows more about this gonorrhoea strain and its epidemiology then great, I hope to read their comments. But in the absence of any informed opinion then it is just scaremongering.

PhoBot
01-10-2013, 05:08 PM
Of course, you are correct. But there several questions about methodology, statistical relevance and the parameters of the study that must be asked before we all don full body condoms - I'm thinking Dr Rumack in Flying High. Really, it is a bit like that odious Tom Waterhouse telling people to gamble responsibly; everyone needs to accept there are risks in whatever you do and therefore take due care. If anyone on this forum knows more about this gonorrhoea strain and its epidemiology then great, I hope to read their comments. But in the absence of any informed opinion then it is just scaremongering.

I'm also interested in the facts and not interested in scaremongering, but when when the majority of reactions in this post are flippant and comparing the risk to very abstract things, well that's burying your head in the sand.

While the spread of AR Gonorrhea may be small now, if there is a major increase then people in this forum, given their behaviour profile are likely to be early adopters :)

Wayne
01-10-2013, 05:34 PM
I'm also interested in the facts and not interested in scaremongering, but when when the majority of reactions in this post are flippant and comparing the risk to very abstract things, well that's burying your head in the sand.

While the spread of AR Gonorrhea may be small now, if there is a major increase then people in this forum, given their behaviour profile are likely to be early adopters :)

Well we just elected as our glorious new great helmsman someone who says he does not "believe" in evidence-based research and the scientific method. It would seem that the majority of Australians are with him on this and want to bury their heads in the sand. This forum is probably as representative of a cross section of Australian society (those that visit brothels) as any.

Licker
01-10-2013, 06:45 PM
If anyone on this forum knows more about this gonorrhoea strain and its epidemiology then great, I hope to read their comments. But in the absence of any informed opinion then it is just scaremongering.

Well, since you asked, the following quote is from a Press release from CDC's website.
CDC: Gonorrhea Treatment Trial Press Release (http://www.cdc.gov/nchhstp/newsroom/2013/Gonorrhea-Treatment-Trial-PressRelease.html)

Naturally, the urgency to develop new drugs is there.
As much for Gonorrhea as for other bacteria (like MRSA, see the second quote) that are resistant to current common antibiotics.

The main thing for punters though is to use condoms, but I thought that was common knowledge.
Common knowledge doesn't seem to be as common as you'd expect though.

Press Release Monday, July 15, 2013

Two New Promising Treatment Regimens for Gonorrhea

Two new antibiotic regimens using existing drugs – injectable gentamicin in combination with oral azithromycin and oral gemifloxacin in combination with oral azithromycin – successfully treated gonorrhea infections in a clinical trial. The trial was conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the National Institutes of Health (NIH). The study was conducted to identify new treatment options in the face of growing antibiotic resistance.

The findings will be presented this week by CDC’s Robert Kirkcaldy, M.D., at the 20th Meeting of The International Society for Sexually Transmitted Diseases Research (ISSTDR) in Vienna, Austria. Dr. Kirkcaldy served as the clinical trial’s principal investigator.

All drugs studied in the trial were Food and Drug Administration-approved and are available in the United States. This is the first clinical trial to evaluate them as combination therapy for gonorrhea.

Researchers found 100 percent effectiveness of the injectable gentamicin/oral azithromycin combination in curing genital gonorrhea infections, and 99.5 percent effectiveness of the oral gemifloxacin/oral azithromycin combination. Both combinations cured 100 percent of infections of the throat and rectum.
However, many trial participants reported adverse effects from the drugs, mostly gastrointestinal issues.

“These trial results are an exciting step in the right direction in the fight against drug-resistant gonorrhea,” said Gail Bolan, M.D., director of CDC’s Division of STD Prevention. “But patients need more oral options with fewer side effects. It is imperative that researchers and pharmaceutical companies prioritize research to continue to identify new, effective, better-tolerated drugs and drug combinations.”

“In addition to developing new treatment options, additional measures to stay ahead of resistant gonorrhea are critical,” said Anthony S. Fauci, M.D., director of NIH’s National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID). “For example, a point-of-care drug susceptibility test would help providers know — at the time of diagnosis — which treatment regimen will be most effective. Progress toward a vaccine is urgently needed.”

NIAID sponsored the Phase IVExternal Web Site Icon clinical trial, which began in 2010 and enrolled 401 men and women ages 15 to 60 with untreated gonorrhea infection. The study was conducted at NIAID-funded clinical trial sites in Baltimore; Birmingham, Ala.; Los Angeles; Pittsburgh, Pa.; and San Francisco.

Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) is a bacterium responsible for several difficult-to-treat infections in humans. It is also called oxacillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (ORSA).
MRSA is any strain of Staphylococcus aureus that has developed, through the process of natural selection, resistance to beta-lactam antibiotics, which include the penicillins (methicillin, dicloxacillin, nafcillin, oxacillin, etc.) and the cephalosporins.

The evolution of such resistance does not cause the organism to be more intrinsically virulent than strains of Staphylococcus aureus that have no antibiotic resistance, but resistance does make MRSA infection more difficult to treat with standard types of antibiotics and thus more dangerous.
MRSA is especially troublesome in hospitals, prisons and nursing homes, where patients with open wounds, invasive devices, and weakened immune systems are at greater risk of infection than the general public.

P.S. If anyone is interested, CDC's website has a lot more information on the resistant strain.

mista
01-10-2013, 07:17 PM
Is bbbj still ok?

Licker
01-10-2013, 07:27 PM
Is bbbj still ok?

It feels good.
But you can STILL (same as before) catch an STI from it, just like before.

I'm worried about whether I ought to have stopped
And I'm worried because it's the sort of thing I ought to know

Wayne
02-10-2013, 07:50 PM
[QUOTE=Licker;418358]Well, since you asked, the following quote is from a Press release from CDC's website.
CDC: Gonorrhea Treatment Trial Press Release (http://www.cdc.gov/nchhstp/newsroom/2013/Gonorrhea-Treatment-Trial-PressRelease.html)/QUOTE]

Thanks Licker, a sobering read. I wonder, though, how serious a threat this really is given that safe sex has become the norm in brothels. There is a medically statistical relevance to nine percent: under nine percent within a population and an infection is contained; over nine percent and it becomes epidemic. It seems to me that since AIDS Australian brothels have become very aware places (there is a huge vested interest in keeping them infection clear, after all) and that is it probably true to say that more than 91 out of every 100 sexual encounters are safe. The risk is still there, of course, but statistically, I suspect even a nasty like this will be contained.

Licker
02-10-2013, 09:40 PM
Thanks Licker, a sobering read.

Yes, this strain of Gonorrhea is not the one that will kill people like the Black Death.
It is harder to cure, but there is still a cure for it.

The Black Death was one of the most devastating pandemics in human history, killing an estimated 75 to 200 million people and peaking in Europe in the years 1348–50

But unless the misuse of antibiotics is stopped, eventually we will have such a bacteria to deal with (and it's not necessarily a sexually transmitted decease).
I used to work for CDC for two years and saw what was going on with the use of antibiotics on farming animals, and also how easily they where prescribed to people who really did not need them, thus resulting to ever more bacteria strains that are resistant to them.

If anyone wants to know more, I can post additional information but I won't shove it down your throats.

CunningLinguist
02-10-2013, 10:07 PM
Yes, this strain of Gonorrhea is not the one that will kill people like the Black Death.
It is harder to cure, but there is still a cure for it.

But unless the misuse of antibiotics is stopped, eventually we will have such a bacteria to deal with (and it's not necessarily a sexually transmitted decease).
I used to work for CDC for two years and saw what was going on with the use of antibiotics on farming animals, and also how easily they where prescribed to people who really did not need them, thus resulting to ever more bacteria strains that are resistant to them.

If anyone wants to know more, I can post additional information but I won't shove it down your throats.

Australia appears to be one of the worst offenders for antibiotic over use!

dirtykunt69
02-10-2013, 10:24 PM
The symptoms of Gonorrhoea in men are sometimes non existent , sometimes sore balls, burning sensation when urinating and/or a discharge (green, white or yellow in colour) the symptoms take 1 to14 days to appear. Sometimes the only symptom may be a sore throat. Long term the disease can cause sterility in both males and females and if untreated (because there ain't no effective antibiotics) joint disease and possible death.

Oh yes, forgot to mention it has been found in Australia .

Just a few thoughts .

I have copped chlamydia and gonorrhoea 3 times. Don't worry bros its not bad. You get burning scrotum, and when you take a piss your urethea (tip of cock) burns. Just pop a bill and it'll all be over in 5 days.

I have a couple of tablets just in case I catch these symptoms again.
But hard to say who I got it from.... some slut from a nightclub (no protection) or from WL from shop.

Licker
02-10-2013, 11:31 PM
I have copped chlamydia and gonorrhoea 3 times. Don't worry bros its not bad. You get burning scrotum, and when you take a piss your urethea (tip of cock) burns. Just pop a bill and it'll all be over in 5 days.

I have a couple of tablets just in case I catch these symptoms again.
But hard to say who I got it from.... some slut from a nightclub (no protection) or from WL from shop.

And this is one more reason for those antibiotic resistant strains developing. Ignorant dimwits self medicating.

By the way, urethea is NOT "tip of cock"!

dirtykunt69
03-10-2013, 12:22 AM
And this is one more reason for those antibiotic resistant strains developing. Ignorant dimwits self medicating.

By the way, urethea is NOT "tip of cock"!

Well those medications worked on each occasion hehehe.....

Ohhhhh I must go tomorrow to get a STD check... heaven knows what lingering down there!!