PDA

View Full Version : General talk "I'd rather cry in a BMW than be happy on the back of a bicycle"

AlexPicardo
07-01-2014, 10:24 PM
A friend of mine recently told me about this Chinese dating show, where a few years ago a male contestant asked a girl if she would on a bicycle ride with him and she replied with something like "I'd rather cry in a BMW than be happy on the back of a bicycle".

Apparently this caused some controversy, both within China and overseas, so much so that the following series of the show had to be edited to reduce the materialism of it all.

It is an interesting quote and I thought I should put it here for everyone's discussion. Do you agree that women will like you for your money, or do you believe in "true love"? By true love, I mean, even if you lost your job and your house, the girl will still stay with you. Would you be ok if your girl liked you because of your money? Why do you think your current girl likes you? Do you ever use your money/status to attract girls?

Do you think the quote is a realistic summary of love these days?

paulgallen
07-01-2014, 10:44 PM
The answer is a, b, c and d. You get all types of women.

wilisno
07-01-2014, 10:49 PM
The answer is a, b, c and d. You get all types of women.
Excellent answer ! ;) ;) ;)

AHLUNGOR
07-01-2014, 10:49 PM
A friend of mine recently told me about this Chinese dating show, where a few years ago a male contestant asked a girl if she would on a bicycle ride with him and she replied with something like "I'd rather cry in a BMW than be happy on the back of a bicycle".

Apparently this caused some controversy, both within China and overseas, so much so that the following series of the show had to be edited to reduce the materialism of it all.

It is an interesting quote and I thought I should put it here for everyone's discussion. Do you agree that women will like you for your money, or do you believe in "true love"? By true love, I mean, even if you lost your job and your house, the girl will still stay with you. Would you be ok if your girl liked you because of your money? Why do you think your current girl likes you? Do you ever use your money/status to attract girls?

Do you think the quote is a realistic summary of love these days?

The BMW quote was on the dating show if you are the one on SBS II tonight !

And the female contestant who said that actual meant if the guy is the right guy and they are in love, she doesn't mind to get off her BMW and ride at the back of his bicycle !

Did your friend tell you the quote correctly??

Cheers

looser
07-01-2014, 10:53 PM
Yes, I believe it is a realistic reflection of life. Do I believe in love? Yes, absolutely - I found it, but it did not find me. Despite my best efforts, or maybe because of them, I was knocked back. However, asking on this forum if women are more motivated by money and materialistic aims, I think the answer will be definitely yes. Even a friend of mine whom I had a heart-to-heart conversation with (not a WL) said she met the perfect man, who was charming, sincere, nice and in every way perfect for her, but she knocked him back because he did not have enough money. No one seems to be willing to take a chance on love these days. Everyone has their shopping list of what they want in their partner.

We hear so often about true love. How people will do anything for it. But the reality is different. Most women want some sort of security, or want what they want. Customers to WLs are simply a means of achieving that. It's only fools like me who believe (for too long) that it may be different. That, maybe there is someone for me.

harmony
07-01-2014, 11:28 PM
Interesting thread
AlexPicardo, maybe you did get the quote wrong, but its a great topic

I think living in Sydney is hard for all of us trying to get a place to live, and find a decent job
Job security is no longer what it used to be, and the median price for a home in Sydney is over $650 000

I have to say, as a young man, I actually am ALSO thinking about the lady partner I will spend the rest of my life with
The basic necessity these days is that both people in a relationship need to work to pay off a mortgage

So in some ways I have taken a little longer than the women that I know - you cant survive on love alone

Hey, maybe you can, but its getting harder to be idealistic about choosing your life partner

My two cents worth

Oh and looser, commisserations for finding love but not having it returned to you. I myself have broken more heart than I care to admit in my private life, but honestly the only real crush I ever had was when I was in secondary school, when I was 12 years old and had a crush on the blonde girl in my class.

Since then - searched for love but never found someone I could fall in love with. And believe me I have spent literally years searching

Licker
07-01-2014, 11:32 PM
Talking about BMW...

What do BMW and a condom have in common?

They both have a dick inside them.
(My apologies to all of you who drive a BMW - nice cars anyway)

There is a much older (20 years at least) saying...
Money does not make you happy, but I'd rather weep in my Jaguar than at the back seat of a bus.

I did not see the show in question, but could this be a question of "lost in translation"?
And if it was a translation from Chinese to English, nowadays I would not put it past the produces to do it on purpose.

harmony
07-01-2014, 11:37 PM
Spike Milligan
"Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy."

Sophie Tucker, and Janice Joplin
"I been rich and I been poor. Rich is better"

http://www.a4ms.org/node/26

Dude
07-01-2014, 11:39 PM
This phrase been on the net for looooooooong, hahaha

wilisno
07-01-2014, 11:39 PM
There's a saying the Americans like to use : If you say money can't buy happiness, you don't know where to shop !

harmony
07-01-2014, 11:50 PM
Thanks for the life lessons Dude, and congratulations on hitting 100 posts !

paulgallen
08-01-2014, 12:16 AM
The BMW quote was on the dating show if you are the one on SBS II tonight !

And the female contestant who said that actual meant if the guy is the right guy and they are in love, she doesn't mind to get off her BMW and ride at the back of his bicycle !

Did your friend tell you the quote correctly??

Cheers

Doh ! What a monkey brain.
Good pickup by old man Ahlungor

Max Impact
08-01-2014, 12:32 AM
Chinese girls? Materialistic? Naaa, esp Shanghaiese!

They just cant differentiate between sex, money and love. A wise brothel owner taught me that and I'm sure he will read this.

AHLUNGOR
08-01-2014, 12:33 AM
Talking about BMW...

Money does not make you happy, but I'd rather weep in my Jaguar than at the back seat of a bus.

I did not see the show in question, but could this be a question of "lost in translation"?
And if it was a translation from Chinese to English, nowadays I would not put it past the produces to do it on purpose.

Talking about translation, the female contestant was speaking in mandarins and of course she didn't actually said the word "BMW "

She said:

我不介意從我的寶馬車走出來而坐到你的單車後面!

It was the TV subtitle which translated that car into BMW !

Cheers

wilisno
08-01-2014, 12:48 AM
Talking about translation, the female contestant was speaking in mandarins and of course she didn't actually said the word "BMW "

She said:

我不介意從我的寶馬車走出來而坐到你的單車後面!

It was the TV subtitle which translated that car into BMW !

Cheers
It's a common knowledge that it means BMW what she said.

vvillie
08-01-2014, 07:28 AM
Heh, it's funny how we use a superficial metric such as appearance when selecting the lady to spend out hard earned cash on, but when the lady uses earning potential as a metric for their partners, everyone cries gold digger.

Life's hard, and I think it's only natural to try to find a good provider to reduce a little stress. I earn a decent salary, and I take education and finances into account for my partners, although it's not 'make or break' for me...

waynekerr
08-01-2014, 07:47 AM
Talking about BMW...

And; What's the difference between a woman and a condom?

Nothing, they both spend more time in your wallet than on your dick!

Money may not buy you happiness, but poverty sure brings misery.

WayneK.

asiafever
08-01-2014, 08:15 AM
Was chatting with a female friend a while ago. She said she didn't care about money etc, the same sort of lies as "I'm just interested in a good sense of humour". She said "It doesn't matter what car he drives or if he has a car."
My response was "Want to have dinner tonight?" "Sure. Where are we going?" "Maccas, meet you on platform 4." At that point she realised what she'd said actually wasn't entirely true. Same as when a guy says a girl with a good heart and beautiful eyes is all he wants. I've heard guys say that and I roll my eyes. Plenty of girls with a good heart and beautiful eyes that weigh 120kg or have a face like a bulldog chewing on a wasp who can't seem to get a boyfriend.

cato
08-01-2014, 11:42 AM
LOL... A very good point asiafever. It is very convenient to preach idealistic virtues but how many would actually board the train on platform 4 bound for maccas?

PS: What's wrong with beautiful eyes and 120kg? On some nights I get cravings for pork chops... You can't eat low fat all the time... LOL

harmony
08-01-2014, 11:47 AM
"have a face like a bulldog chewing on a wasp"

People who know me, know I can never ever criticise a lady because she lacks beauty.

Nature gives us all the appearance we have, and thats it, unless you want plastic surgery

But I believe in the cliche - looks beauty is skin deep, real beauty comes from the heart

Having said all that, Asiafevers description of a particularly ugly person is one of the best descriptions I have ever read

Its also funny coz when I go walking along the beaches, I am seeing a lot of bulldogs and pugdogs

They are soo ugly it makes them cute. Weird hey ?

I hope I never pay for one in my punting life - even if she is sooo ugly she is cute ; )

hahahahaha

asiafever
08-01-2014, 12:33 PM
Oh I don't mind a bit of meat on the bones either. It makes me ill when I hear girls ask guys what they find most attractive in a woman and they say "Eyes.". Yeah. Right. I have a friend who is 100kg at 5 foot 5, she has angelic eyes, still a virgin in her late 20's.
Or when a girl says "I just want a nice guy" or "A guy with a good sense of humour." Sure, that's why Jimmy Carr the comedian was a virgin until he was 26..
When I drove around in a white 1995 Mitsubishi Magna I could barely get a second look, I buy a red GTO and I had more sex than I could handle (almost.). I dress like a bum and weigh65kgs and get no love, put on some muscle and some nice threads and I can start being a chooser as I'm certainly not a beggar. Some stereotypes are based in truth. You may not find true love that way, but you've got a better chance I reckon.

And yes, bulldogs and pugs can be ugly and cute at the same time.

gentlescream
08-01-2014, 03:43 PM
Coming from Korea, and having lived in the US and Oz for extended periods of time, I'd conclude that this is a "social process". What I mean is:

- Country goes through war-torn and tough times.
- Fortune turns, the middle class(es) expands.
- The concept of love, caring and etc., over riches becomes a popular concept -> when the middle class expands, or even when it doesn't exist they are still able to "see" the lives of the rich --> doesn't mean everyone can become wealthy --> population searches for something to soothe the pain from the inequality.
- Concept of loving, caring vs. $$$ reaches extremities.
- People forget that money isn't everything, but also forget that love and emotions without money isn't everything either.

fggd
08-01-2014, 06:47 PM
Oh I don't mind a bit of meat on the bones either. It makes me ill when I hear girls ask guys what they find most attractive in a woman and they say "Eyes.". Yeah. Right. I have a friend who is 100kg at 5 foot 5, she has angelic eyes, still a virgin in her late 20's.
Or when a girl says "I just want a nice guy" or "A guy with a good sense of humour." Sure, that's why Jimmy Carr the comedian was a virgin until he was 26..
When I drove around in a white 1995 Mitsubishi Magna I could barely get a second look, I buy a red GTO and I had more sex than I could handle (almost.). I dress like a bum and weigh65kgs and get no love, put on some muscle and some nice threads and I can start being a chooser as I'm certainly not a beggar. Some stereotypes are based in truth. You may not find true love that way, but you've got a better chance I reckon.

And yes, bulldogs and pugs can be ugly and cute at the same time.

hahaha very funny asiafever and very interesting point :D:D

Well love based on someone's look or wallet can also be true love, they are not contradictory. I love girls with pretty face, sexy body (pre-requisit), in addition their good personality, sweet funny etc. You can say I'm shallow - but sorry I don't love ugly girls, no attraction no interest in spending more time with them.

Same for girls, if they only like rich guys it doesn't necessarily mean they are materialistic - wealth could be a factor for them to fall in love. A female friend told me she attracted to rich guys, who drives expensive cars and dresses well, she thinks those are the signs of him has capable looking after her gives her more security, therefore she falls in love. It makes sense to me. Who doesn't like nice things, who doesn't like good look?

We (guys and girls) have our own triggers for love, when the factors related to girl's good look or guy's big wallet, they still can be (are) "true love", why should they be automatically categorized to shallow or vein???

cato
09-01-2014, 12:51 AM
Hi brother fggd,

Your female friend's view is very interesting... It seems that if you characterise materialism as 'looking for more security' it becomes more palatable, or perhaps even masks the materialism all together.

I don't have a problem with women having certain expectations of a man's financial status, as long as they have some financial status of their own. If a woman has a successful career and is financially independent, I guess they should be entitled to expect or at least prefer the same in a man. Then you can't really call it gold digging...

However, if a girl of no means insists only on rich guys (they can usually only do that if they're hot.. LOL) then I might have an opinion about that...

I suppose if it is possible for a girl to prostitute her body, then perhaps some could possibly prostitute their love?

A strange concept nevertheless...

cato
09-01-2014, 01:01 AM
Then there's something else I often wonder about....

Do these rich guys not realise that these women are only in it for their money? Do they realise and just live in denial? Or do they realise and treat the whole thing like a business transaction... eg.. if you want the hot stuff, you gotta pay...

I would love to hear from all the sugar daddies and keepers of trophy girlfriends...

argusplayer
09-01-2014, 04:44 PM

Do these rich guys not realise that these women are only in it for their money? Do they realise and just live in denial? Or do they realise and treat the whole thing like a business transaction... eg.. if you want the hot stuff, you gotta pay...

I would love to hear from all the sugar daddies and keepers of trophy girlfriends...

There are no sugar daddies here.....only punters!!!

AHLUNGOR
09-01-2014, 04:53 PM

Yes, of course they are aware of it and that's why they have this thing called Pre-Nup !!

There was a nice little romance/comedy movie by Andy Lau and Shu Qi in which Andy Lau is the billionaire and chairman of the company and Shu Qi is the nobody girl and they fell in love. all the PA and lawyers and friends around Andy Lau wanted him to give Shu Qi and Pre-Nup because last couple of times when Andy Lau divorced, his ex-wives took half of the company !!

So, what do you do ??

checksix
09-01-2014, 06:01 PM
i thought the girl's ambitions were a bit low, only a beamer?

Oneonone
09-01-2014, 07:53 PM
So, what do you do ??

Go to a brothel pay your money go home and forget about it till next time!

cato
09-01-2014, 08:00 PM
I wasn't so much wondering about pre-nups and asset protection from gold diggers.

I am more interested on what goes through the guys' minds when they wine and dine these girls and often end up having relationships with them, knowing full well that the girls are only after their money.

I couldn't be in a relationship like that... Well, not for more than an hour at a time... LOL

vvillie
09-01-2014, 08:05 PM
I'm sure they are aware of it. Some guys love to show off what they have. Some like to spoil the people around them. Whatever their motives, it's their money and they can do whatever they want with it. Personally, I like to spend my money on wl/ml. Haha

cato
09-01-2014, 08:13 PM
LOL... I couldn't agree more!

Oneonone
09-01-2014, 08:17 PM
I wasn't so much wondering about pre-nups and asset protection from gold diggers.

I am more interested on what goes through the guys' minds when they wine and dine these girls and often end up having relationships with them, knowing full well that the girls are only after their money.

I couldn't be in a relationship like that... Well, not for more than an hour at a time... LOL

It can be fun if you like the girls company but you still need to treat it like a punt just go have fun, then go home and only spend what your happy to spend.

Max Impact
09-01-2014, 09:29 PM
There are no sugar daddies here.....only punters!!!
Are you sure? Gulp?:sweat:

harmony
09-01-2014, 09:35 PM
Yeah
I have been with a lady who was only a sponge
I only realised in retrospect, but I should have known
I would take her out to dinner, buy her flowers, the usual things guys do to get in a womans pants
She had a great body, so it was worth getting into her pants
Unfortunately, she dumped me soon after, when a rival for her affections told her I was a cold person
Lol
This male rival, had a face of a bulldog chewing on a wasp, as asiafever would say
He was married, and it was a bit sus. He would come down from Melbourne or Perth or wherever he lived (cant remember) to see this chick
Dont know if his wife knew.

Anyway, funniest thing was, I just walked. I knew she was getting the better of the relationship, apart from occasional sex

Even funnier, she wants now to get back with me

And she is from China ; )

AHLUNGOR
10-01-2014, 12:10 AM
Anyway, funniest thing was, I just walked. I knew she was getting the better of the relationship, apart from occasional sex

Even funnier, she wants now to get back with me

And she is from China ; )[/QUOTE]

Brother Hamony,

You should get back with her, have as much free sex as you could and fuck her for all she's worth but you learnt your lesson this time and won't fall for her again, to you, she is a fuck buddy- but to her you are her boyfriend of course !!

Just a thought ! Left you for a married man ! Never give her a second chance, but that is just me !

Have fun

Cheers

cato
10-01-2014, 12:19 AM
brother harmony,

"I would take her out to dinner, buy her flowers, the usual things guys do to get in a womans pants"

You must be a bit old fashioned... Gentlemanly as it may be, I'm not sure if anyone buys flowers these days to get sex?
Unless your target audience is a MILF or even GILF?

If you decide to get back with her you should take brother Ahlungor's advice. Note that he didn't mention flowers anywhere... LOL

Licker
10-01-2014, 01:24 AM
You must be a bit old fashioned... Gentlemanly as it may be, I'm not sure if anyone buys flowers these days to get sex?

Indeed, nowadays guys buy flowers after they've had sex - with someone else.

Gucci2012
10-01-2014, 11:00 AM
Lol I've never experienced materialism from any of my former girlfriend's. From my early teens I learnt that its best to f*ck a girls mind/heart before you f*ck her pussy. Having the keys to her mind is basically having a master key to the rest of her including sex. Once you possess her heart she doesn't care about anything else, even riding on the back of a bicycle!!

brotherfrancisofassisi
10-01-2014, 11:49 AM
Coming from Korea, and having lived in the US and Oz for extended periods of time, I'd conclude that this is a "social process". What I mean is:

- Country goes through war-torn and tough times.
- Fortune turns, the middle class(es) expands.
- The concept of love, caring and etc., over riches becomes a popular concept -> when the middle class expands, or even when it doesn't exist they are still able to "see" the lives of the rich --> doesn't mean everyone can become wealthy --> population searches for something to soothe the pain from the inequality.
- Concept of loving, caring vs. $$$ reaches extremities.
- People forget that money isn't everything, but also forget that love and emotions without money isn't everything either.

Good interpretation. I view it similar.

I find it interesting watch that "if you are the one", some girls are so upfront with their superficial judgements.

But put it this way, if you have a nice guy with money, and a similar nice guy without the money. Who would you prefer?

This thread also brings me to the question of what girls want us for? I think it safe to assume that most guys want girls for looks/sexual fun.. well at least on a punting forum you can be safe with that assumption.

Good_guy_Greg
11-01-2014, 07:21 AM
Man I made a similar thread before, this one definitely more popular haha.
Interesting responses, hope there will be more.

Starstruck
11-01-2014, 10:01 AM
Materialism is especially prevalent in some countries. The current culture in China dictates that the man in a relationship is expected to pay for absolutely everything. From everyday expenses and holidays to even paying for all the girl's (female) friends every time there's a group outing. When it comes to marriage it is almost impossible to get a girl unless the man owns a property and car. There are some exceptions but this is by far in the majority at the moment. As newer generations grow up in such a culture, it is inevitable they develop the same materialistic mentality.

This seems absolutely ridiculous to me. I am in no way sexist but I feel that in an age where egalitarianism is promoted to such a degree, girls need to stay away from behaviour like this if they intend to be perceived totally equal to their male counterparts.

AHLUNGOR
11-01-2014, 02:00 PM
Materialism is especially prevalent in some countries. The current culture in China dictates that the man in a relationship is expected to pay for absolutely everything. From everyday expenses and holidays to even paying for all the girl's (female) friends every time there's a group outing. When it comes to marriage it is almost impossible to get a girl unless the man owns a property and car. There are some exceptions but this is by far in the majority at the moment. As newer generations grow up in such a culture, it is inevitable they develop the same materialistic mentality.

This seems absolutely ridiculous to me. I am in no way sexist but I feel that in an age where egalitarianism is promoted to such a degree, girls need to stay away from behaviour like this if they intend to be perceived totally equal to their male counterparts.

Are you Chinese and grew up in China ??

What you said here is very stereotyped and out dated ! You know what you said by facts or one of your Chinese friend told you so over a beer ?

Just wondering

Cheers

Starstruck
11-01-2014, 02:10 PM
Are you Chinese and grew up in China ??

What you said here is very stereotyped and out dated ! You know what you said by facts or one of your Chinese friend told you so over a beer ?

Just wondering

Cheers

I didn't grow up in china but I'm Chinese and have many relatives there. I went back a few months ago and heard these things from a lot of my cousins who grew up there. Also when I was there a lot of the dating programs on TV also talked about these issues a lot. There's a program there which couples with relationship problems get advice from experts and quite a lot of them were money related issues with the girl wanting to break up with the guy because he didn't have a house etc. maybe the issues were worse many years ago but from what I observed and heard it's still a big problem atm.

AHLUNGOR
11-01-2014, 02:40 PM
I didn't grow up in china but I'm Chinese and have many relatives there. I went back a few months ago and heard these things from a lot of my cousins who grew up there. Also when I was there a lot of the dating programs on TV also talked about these issues a lot. There's a program there which couples with relationship problems get advice from experts and quite a lot of them were money related issues with the girl wanting to break up with the guy because he didn't have a house etc. maybe the issues were worse many years ago but from what I observed and heard it's still a big problem atm.

OK, then, brother Starstruck, thanks for the clarifications, may be my preceptions are outdated instead.

Good to know.

May be there is still a fair bit of cultural difference between today's Hong Kong and mainland China

Cheers

:smile:

Starstruck
11-01-2014, 03:46 PM
OK, then, brother Starstruck, thanks for the clarifications, may be my preceptions are outdated instead.

Good to know.

May be there is still a fair bit of cultural difference between today's Hong Kong and mainland China

Cheers

:smile:

No problem bro Ahlungor.

Yeah that's true, I'm not familiar with the situation in Hong Kong as I've only been there once about a decade ago.

Licker
11-01-2014, 03:58 PM
Also when I was there a lot of the dating programs on TV also talked about these issues a lot. There's a program there which couples with relationship problems get advice from experts and quite a lot of them were money related issues with the girl wanting to break up with the guy because he didn't have a house etc.

I'm not disputing the comments from your cousins, but...

I'm not too convinced that TV "reality" shows depict the real world very accurately. They are entertainment and most of .
Looking at the ones here and US, they seem to concentrate on shocking and controversial themes that do not represent the majority of the population.
Further more most of them are scripted and the people are acting rather than doing what they would normally do.

brotherfrancisofassisi
11-01-2014, 06:36 PM
No way licker that IYATO is scripted.

American reality shows are a far cry from a show about being picky about the dude you choose. The girls on that have a constant stream of dudes to pick from so why not be picky. Most girls are good looking on that show and they would be justified to be picky in real life.. it's just more apparent when there is rounds and rounds of dudes to get through on a TV show.

Also nothing on IYATO is shocking really, and the opinions of the people on there are fair and not too controversial that I have noticed.

fggd
11-01-2014, 06:38 PM
Lol I've never experienced materialism from any of my former girlfriend's. From my early teens I learnt that its best to f*ck a girls mind/heart before you f*ck her pussy. Having the keys to her mind is basically having a master key to the rest of her including sex. Once you possess her heart she doesn't care about anything else, even riding on the back of a bicycle!!

This is very true about girls Gucci2012 bro, when it comes to the other side when girls learnt this theory, they got the key to man's wallet too! Have to be careful lol

rushmore
11-01-2014, 08:06 PM
men tend to judge a woman's worth based on her level of physical attractiveness. the evolutionary logic behind this is clear - physical attractivness = good genetics = healthy offspring. women tend to place more importance on the ability of the mate to care and provide for the children - in this day and age that equates to wealth and earning potential.

If you are a poor guy its not impossible to score a high value mate (ie a physically attractive lady) but youve good to have a bunch of other things going for you (eg. good looks, humour, charisma). afterall why would a sexy lady with so many men to choose from want to be with a poor, unattractive and uninteresting guy?