PDA

View Full Version : General talk Why can't this forum be accessed from outside Australia?

Zen
11-01-2014, 04:53 AM
Does anyone know of the way to access Syd99 forum from overseas?

Accessing the aus99 does work fine, but I have never been able to access this forum when I'm overseas.

The page always returned some "Access is Forbidden" message.

Gucci2012
11-01-2014, 05:04 AM
Does anyone know of the way to access Syd99 forum from overseas?

Accessing the aus99 does work fine, but I have never been able to access this forum when I'm overseas.

The page always returned some "Access is Forbidden" message.

Same thing happened to me. Last year I couldn't access it(forum) in Japan or Korea but I could in China. Aus99 works fine but not the forum. ????

Gucci2012
11-01-2014, 05:07 AM
Actually I did 2 trips to Korea in 2013 I could access the forum when I used my GFs Korean sim in my phone but its the forum was blocked when I used Wi-Fi.

Good_guy_Greg
11-01-2014, 07:19 AM
Yeah me too, I was overseas briefly last year and found the site to be blocked. Wonder why admin has chosen to block foreign IPs?

vvillie
11-01-2014, 07:32 AM
Same thing happens behind a proxy. I didn't think too much of it because I am only behind a proxy on my desktop (I use a proxy to view cam girls that block Australian viewers haha). I guess they made the assumption that the majority of traffic would be local and this could be a security feature to block ddos attacks from international ip addresses? Who know?

wilisno
11-01-2014, 08:24 AM
Yeah me too, I was overseas briefly last year and found the site to be blocked. Wonder why admin has chosen to block foreign IPs?
I don't think Admin has chosen to block foreign IPs, it's more to do with the local law, accessibility is not restricted in HK either !

ics
11-01-2014, 08:38 AM
I emailed admin last year when I was overseas. The admin had advised that only certain countries are allowed and asked me to provide where I was saying they'd review and might add it to the list.

hoshimoony
11-01-2014, 08:42 AM
I'm restricted from accessing from Google Chrome on the iPhone within Australia. Safari works which is weird...

wilisno
11-01-2014, 09:04 AM
I'm restricted from accessing from Google Chrome on the iPhone within Australia. Safari works which is weird...
That's it ! It's the browser ! Like Google is not allowed to operate in China !

AHLUNGOR
11-01-2014, 09:18 AM
No problem from Hong Kong for sure !

kevin007
11-01-2014, 09:45 AM
No problem from Hong Kong for sure !

It depends on the countries, I was in Dubai and was not able to access...

Bracket
11-01-2014, 09:59 AM
When I was in the US there was no problem using an AT&T sim, and in NZ no problem using a Telecom NZ sim and I think HK was OK too using a 3 sim. But in the US I tried one airline's in-flight wi-fi and was blocked. Similarly I was blocked at Sydney Airport using their (or maybe the Qantas lounge's) wi-fi.

So I guess you can be blocked at either end, ie by your ISP (wherever in the world that might be) or by Aus99.

CunningLinguist
11-01-2014, 10:02 AM
It sounds like there is either a list of countries to be blocked or a server that is consulted to see if a source IP needs to be blocked.
If admin is not aware of the list then it is probably a server that is consulted.
You can work out the country from the IP.
I suppose local laws of various countries prohibit viewing this sort of material.

paulgallen
11-01-2014, 10:38 AM
U r overseas. Why would u wanna know about the punting scene in sydney ? U would not use this site to find out punting scene overseas due to lack of reports

aussiegaigin
11-01-2014, 10:51 AM
U r overseas. Why would u wanna know about the punting scene in sydney ? U would not use this site to find out punting scene overseas due to lack of reports

Overseas people visiting Sydney might want to check out the local scene for planning purposes. I read other forums with info about places I am going to visit, so it can work in reverse.

Even as a local, I might like to keep up with happenings here while I am away, so I am up to date when I come back.

In Sydney, many wi-fi hot spots block access to "undesirable content" sites like this.

Starstruck
11-01-2014, 03:54 PM
I couldn't get on when I went to China either but then again a lot of sites are blocked over there..