PDA

View Full Version : General talk 1959 Grange Hermitage - tasting notes

Sextus
17-04-2014, 08:16 PM
Thought I’d better show you a bottle of the now infamous 1959 Grange Hermitage. Hey! It isn't something we think of very often. Well, well, well out of my price range. :surprise: Even for an attempted bribe!

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l5/waveflows/grange19592_zps722fdd4a.jpg (http://s92.photobucket.com/user/waveflows/media/grange19592_zps722fdd4a.jpg.html)

And here are three different tasting notes for it:

It was a cool vintage. This wine was released as Bin 95, Bin 46 and Bin 49. Naturally, bottles of this are now rare. Oxidised and porty and overlaid in hay. But boy what a beautifully structured palate. There is no club-footed muscularity here, in the mode of the early 707s. There is brute beauty, of the useful kind, and it’s hard to know what to do with it – except drink lustily of it. Some coarseness here, some twigginess to the flush of honeyed leather. Probably some gamey/barnyardy characters too. But boy I forgive it every mole. Rated : 91 Points; Closure : Cork; Drink : 1975 - 2015;

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l5/waveflows/grange1959cr_zps521bf09b.jpg (http://s92.photobucket.com/user/waveflows/media/grange1959cr_zps521bf09b.jpg.html)

Tasting notes 2:

The 1959 Penfolds Grange is deep brick red in colour. The nose is dark cherry/demi-glace/bitter chocolate aromas with touches of marmalade. The palate is quite firm, dark cherry, mocha, bitter chocolate and garden herb flavours, grained chalky - almost stemmy - tannins. The wine finishes dry but it still has good flavour length. A cool to mild growing season followed by a generally warm vintage. Matured for a total of 18 months in used American hogsheads. Lasted tasted in 2008, peak drinking now.

Tasting notes 3:

If the Premier was given a Grange from his birth-year, 1959, costing almost $3000, I hope he had the good luck to receive a bottle with a good cork, which had been well cellared, because this vintage is getting a little past its best and should have been drunk by now.
Good bottles could still be very enjoyable – as long as you have a taste for very old red wine. Most people don't, because they seldom get the opportunity.
If your idea of a good red is something young, purple and fruity, you might think '59 Grange resembles an infusion of old boots, used socks and outback dust. Few old Granges are valued anywhere near the $3000 mark. For those that are, it's more about rarity than quality.
The '59 Grange was never a top vintage and its price is high because it is scarce. The '55, on the other hand, is a great and very famous vintage, one of the best, and has a similar auction value, because it's not quite so rare.

If I was Barry O'Farrell, I'd have tried to swap the '59 for a '55.

CunningLinguist
17-04-2014, 09:52 PM
Seriously these wines are all too old to drink now ...

Sextus
17-04-2014, 10:16 PM
What is the oldest wine you have drunk? If a port is a wine I have had a very old one. It was a present too. I doubt if it will cost me my job though, unless I sack myself!

rooter
17-04-2014, 10:18 PM
Seriously these wines are all too old to drink now ...
People rarely drink these wines.
They just collect them or they buy them as an investment and resell them a few years later.
But once a few get opened and are found to taste terrible does that mean the price will drop dramatically or will they still keep their value?
Is it then just the label regardless of the contents?

CunningLinguist
17-04-2014, 10:43 PM
People rarely drink these wines.
They just collect them or they buy them as an investment and resell them a few years later.
But once a few get opened and are found to taste terrible does that mean the price will drop dramatically or will they still keep their value?
Is it then just the label regardless of the contents?

I'm no expert but I did look into it once, basically a wine ages in a bottle then it starts to go bad, It's all about the chemical changes taking place at different rates. The storage temperature, the diurnal temp range, the cork etc all have an effect. The maker will usually give a range of years after which the wine has sufficiently aged. They may also give a date after which the wine has gone off. The 59 is right at the end of it's life, if not past it. Most red wines should be drunk alot sooner than that though.
So yes it seems a bit silly, if the wine doesn't taste any good what are you paying for, sounds like a case of the emperor with no clothes!

wilisno
18-04-2014, 12:56 AM
Just hope you don't lose your job after drinking this wine like poor old Barry O'Farrell ! :miao:

Sextus
18-04-2014, 01:11 AM
Yes, there might be a curse on this vintage now, as well as tasting like "used socks." :shout:

wileyoleboi
18-04-2014, 04:47 AM
25-30yrs max on a top vintage grange...anymore and you had better use it as a vinagerette salad dressing! Poor ole barry haaha busted!!

AHLUNGOR
18-04-2014, 09:55 AM
Politicians and world leaders are sometimes defined by an event or special one liners:

For good old Barry, unfortunately it will always be remembered by a bottle of 1959 Grange !

Lets see what else have we got :

There will be no Carbon Tax under the government I lead Julia !

This is the recession we have to have Paul Keating !

John Howard's GST

To keep the bastards honest - the Australian Democrats

May God save the Queen ! because nothing will save the Governor General - Gough Whitlam!

And perhaps we should also include: the dingo took my baby - Lindy Chamberlain !

And in the world stage:

I have a dream ! Martin Luther King

" ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. " JFK

I did not have sexual relationship with that woman - Bill Clinton

Well, there were three of us in this marriage, so it was a bit crowded - Princess Diana

And for world peace, I like to leave you all on this Holy Good Friday with this last thought:

Instead of sending guns, send books by Malala

Have a nice long weekend, and be safe

Cheers