PDA

View Full Version : General talk negotiation thoughts

paragon2312
23-04-2014, 07:35 PM
If this is something we can discuss in generalised manner that would be great but if we cant talk about it thats cool too.

Just had a random thought, but what do you guys think about negotiating things whether it be appliances or services rendered, it struck me that in asian countries especially the less developed ones negotiation was a norm and if you didn't negotiate it would be seen sometimes as you paying too much, but somehow being in a Western nation where things are much higher in cost in general we don't negotiate as much as we should.

Granted it would depend on the situation whether negotiation is appropriate but for services rendered we often get quotes for comparison and more often than not we will go with the one with an extra service, but how likely would it be to negotiate for those extras from the outset rather than waiting for it to be offered.

I ask because being asian I have a habit to aim for better value and lowering costs which I think we can all agree is not a bad thing so long as it doesn't impact on quality

Heisenberg
23-04-2014, 09:28 PM
I always negotiate when it is time for extras. Although I do wait for the hint of it being offered. I haggle for what is on offer and the price and most importantly I am prepared to walk away unhappy if I don't get what I want for what I want to pay.

So many times they will at first say no to nude up and try to get $50 for just a HJ. I just say no, smile, and let them work away. Eventually the temptation gets the better of them.

Quite the opposite to lowering costs and quality, it makes them realize they have to work for it.

RottenLittlePunt
24-04-2014, 12:12 AM
If this is something we can discuss in generalised manner that would be great but if we cant talk about it thats cool too.

Just had a random thought, but what do you guys think about negotiating things whether it be appliances or services rendered, it struck me that in asian countries especially the less developed ones negotiation was a norm and if you didn't negotiate it would be seen sometimes as you paying too much, but somehow being in a Western nation where things are much higher in cost in general we don't negotiate as much as we should.

Granted it would depend on the situation whether negotiation is appropriate but for services rendered we often get quotes for comparison and more often than not we will go with the one with an extra service, but how likely would it be to negotiate for those extras from the outset rather than waiting for it to be offered.

I ask because being asian I have a habit to aim for better value and lowering costs which I think we can all agree is not a bad thing so long as it doesn't impact on quality

Advertised prices are an invitation to treat. You have the right to negotiate the price any time up to the point of offer and acceptance, after which time a contact is formed.

clearview
24-04-2014, 12:34 AM
lol rottenlittlepunter - dont try to sound intelligent it totally doesnt suit you

Paragon bro - my advice is always negotiate on service not price. If she says $50 and you then try to jew her down to $40 even if she agrees theres a good chance the quality of the service will suffer because shes resentful

instead tell her you have $40 and ask what you can get for that, she'll say this or that and you frame the discussion around that. the girl will be happier because she wont feel like shes been talked down on price

RottenLittlePunt
24-04-2014, 12:42 AM
lol rottenlittlepunter - dont try to sound intelligent it totally doesnt suit you

Paragon bro - my advice is always negotiate on service not price. If she says $50 and you then try to jew her down to $40 even if she agrees theres a good chance the quality of the service will suffer because shes resentful

instead tell her you have $40 and ask what you can get for that, she'll say this or that and you frame the discussion around that. the girl will be happier because she wont feel like shes been talked down on price

Who was trying to sound intelligent? That's a basic fact of contract law, sorry if it is above your pay grade. :)

BrainSex
24-04-2014, 03:07 PM
Who was trying to sound intelligent? That's a basic fact of contract law, sorry if it is above your pay grade. :)

I though the contract was formed after the consideration was paid.

paragon2312
24-04-2014, 03:27 PM
Rotten isnt wrong as far as I understand about contract law, the contract is formed when details are agreed upon but then upon completion on one sides requirements then is the contract set it stone.

On a less legal note, is it ok then to say you only have $X and then see what you can get with it?

RottenLittlePunt
24-04-2014, 03:47 PM
I though the contract was formed after the consideration was paid.

In most retail situations it ends up being that way, but it doesn't have to be. eg layby, finance, credit terms

Rotten isnt wrong as far as I understand about contract law, the contract is formed when details are agreed upon but then upon completion on one sides requirements then is the contract set it stone.

On a less legal note, is it ok then to say you only have $X and then see what you can get with it?

yes it's ok

Vitality
24-04-2014, 04:51 PM

When you ask "how likely would it be to negotiate for those extras from the outset rather than waiting for it to be offered" do you mean how much more beneficial would it be to negotiate for those extras from the outset rather than waiting for it to be offered ?
I usually follow this order... wait for "the offer" (however if you know it is coming then initiate first as this can save time)... service is rendered... tip/negotiation at the end (otherwise negotiation during/before can be a mood killer)... this process normally works for me in most cases unless I'm with a regular ML then the negotiation part is not usually necessary or if I'm real lucky the tip part also... what ever works for you though. Good luck

lakeshow
27-04-2014, 03:15 AM
Great post (to start by the way).

I agree with the suggestion on paying for the massage (no luck there), but then just saying... "Look I have $30. What can you do for me?"
And then work from there.

From personal experience, and if you put yourself in the ML's shoes, she will feel more comfortable to negotiate this way.

icanfly
27-04-2014, 01:06 PM
Great post (to start by the way).

I agree with the suggestion on paying for the massage (no luck there), but then just saying... "Look I have $30. What can you do for me?"
And then work from there.

From personal experience, and if you put yourself in the ML's shoes, she will feel more comfortable to negotiate this way.

Did this yesterday purposely only took $30 with me so. Worked :)

Jerry10
27-04-2014, 06:28 PM
Did this yesterday purposely only took $30 with me so. Worked :)

What did you get for $30?

gpeck80
27-04-2014, 10:21 PM
5 Happy meals

clearview
27-04-2014, 10:44 PM
And of course if you wait until AFTER your gonads have been drained before discussing tips your negotiating position improves immensely!

When you ask "how likely would it be to negotiate for those extras from the outset rather than waiting for it to be offered" do you mean how much more beneficial would it be to negotiate for those extras from the outset rather than waiting for it to be offered ?
I usually follow this order... wait for "the offer" (however if you know it is coming then initiate first as this can save time)... service is rendered... tip/negotiation at the end (otherwise negotiation during/before can be a mood killer)... this process normally works for me in most cases unless I'm with a regular ML then the negotiation part is not usually necessary or if I'm real lucky the tip part also... what ever works for you though. Good luck

RottenLittlePunt
29-04-2014, 11:37 AM
Was at a shop last night with one of my regs when I heard another punter walk in to the room next to me. Now the walls were a little thin, but even so this guy was talking to loud "how much does it costs?" "OK I want the $40 plan with extras". The ML I was with and I just looked at each other and laughed. You guys wonder why you keep striking out at shops that other have so much success at? lol