PDA

View Full Version : Complaint Should there be a cooling off period for members who are repeatedly banned ?

CunningLinguist
04-07-2014, 07:47 PM
I would like to raise this as a discussion topic for members to comment on.

I have noticed that some banned members rejoin straight away and continue posting in the same fashion that got them banned as if nothing has happened. A case in point is the "poet" troll (http://forum.aus99.com/showthread.php?39297-Banned-again-and-again-and-again-and-again-and-again-and-again&p=442814#post442814)who was banned on 03-07-2014 11:52 PM then rejoined 04-07-2014 12:31 AM. This isn't the first time he has done this either.

I would like to propose their is some cooling off period for repeat banned offenders to wait before they can rejoin. If they rejoin before this time they could get banned again and have their posts deleted and restart the cooling off period.

Doing this then would give some weight to a banning and hopefully encourage them to reflect and modify their ways.

What do others think about this, and what sort of cooling off period would be reasonable ?

Wayne
04-07-2014, 08:00 PM

I have noticed that some banned members rejoin straight away and continue posting in the same fashion that got them banned as if nothing has happened. A case in point is the "poet" troll (http://forum.aus99.com/showthread.php?39297-Banned-again-and-again-and-again-and-again-and-again-and-again&p=442814#post442814)who was banned on 03-07-2014 11:52 PM then rejoined 04-07-2014 12:31 AM. This isn't the first time he has done this either.

I would like to propose their is some cooling off period for repeat banned offenders to wait before they can rejoin. If they rejoin before this time they could get banned again and have their posts deleted and restart the cooling off period.

Doing this then would give some weight to a banning and hopefully encourage them to reflect and modify their ways.

What do others think about this, and what sort of cooling off period would be reasonable ?

Its a sensible suggestion. However, its unenforcible for trolls with dynamic IPs. And, as we have witnessed, the poet troll has both a dynamic IP and a reason to repeatedly rejoin after being banned. I reckon the only solution is to ban him as soon as it becomes obvious he is "the troll".

Eureka
04-07-2014, 08:20 PM
Good idea but I don't know how it could be implemented - others are more versed in this area

What I do know can be done - is that when someone is banned:
1) Every Post they have started should be removed entirely

2) Every comment they have made on any other persons threads should be removed.

In other words remove every single evidence of their existence in the forum !!
Then in the same way as immediately removing graffiti --- you remove the evidence and focus of their gratification.

I would like Admin to do this as it will go a long way to either modifying the repeat trolls and other banned members behaviour or make them realise they leave no history / despite all their efforts ... In the Forum going forward ... they never existed !!!

John_Matrix
04-07-2014, 10:12 PM

Way to hard to maintain. IP address can be changed, email address can be changed. Using a Vpn would be even harder to control.

If you want to implement a period a ISP email address for registration purposes would help reduce it, but who would want to do that..

Other option is to reduce what a new member can post on, prevent threads being started until admin have confirmed its fine (submit a pre-post).

The thing with "trolls" don't feed them and they will go away. React to them and you are giving them what they want. If you're getting PMS that's a whole different story all together.

Licker
04-07-2014, 11:21 PM
If you're getting PMS that's a whole different story all together.

Well, this troll in question certainly seemed like he's getting PMS :)

(Premenstrual syndrome)

CunningLinguist
04-07-2014, 11:36 PM
Its a sensible suggestion. However, its unenforcible for trolls with dynamic IPs. And, as we have witnessed, the poet troll has both a dynamic IP and a reason to repeatedly rejoin after being banned. I reckon the only solution is to ban him as soon as it becomes obvious he is "the troll".

You don't need to ban by IP, when it is obvious that the offenderl has come back just "shoot on sight" and delete the posts.

CunningLinguist
04-07-2014, 11:39 PM
Good idea but I don't know how it could be implemented - others are more versed in this area

Then in the same way as immediately removing graffiti --- you remove the evidence and focus of their gratification.

I would like Admin to do this as it will go a long way to either modifying the repeat trolls and other banned members behaviour or make them realise they leave no history / despite all their efforts ... In the Forum going forward ... they never existed !!!

Good idea, except it won't work for responses that quote the original post.

wilisno
05-07-2014, 12:43 AM
The thing with "trolls" don't feed them and they will go away. React to them and you are giving them what they want. If you're getting PMS that's a whole different story all together.

Good call ! But this troll can entertain himself regardless ! But still, if no one's viewing his nonsense, he might die of a broken heart ! :miao:

wilisno
05-07-2014, 12:46 AM

This proposal makes sense : " Cooling off period " !

I'll propose to Admin, next time he gets banned, he will be placed in a " Shoot On Sight " status for at least a week ! :miao:

wilisno
05-07-2014, 01:15 AM
Well, this troll in question certainly seemed like he's getting PMS :)

(Premenstrual syndrome)

How do you know it's not Post-menstrual Syndrome ? :miao:

Eureka
05-07-2014, 09:10 AM

Good idea, except it won't work for responses that quote the original post.

I don't see any reason for Admin not to do it - and Wilisno would know what specific instances would be a constraint at the moment.

1) I know Admin can delete a complete Post Thread ..... So any post thread started by a banned member should be just eliminated in its entirety - purged from existence (can't see why anyone would have an issue with this - if you do pls explain)

2) I know Admin can delete the individual posts by one member on a thread started by someone else (where it is a discreet comment ... not a "reply with quote"). I know because Admin deleted two of my posts on another OP thread recently.

3) That only leaves the specific instance of where a banned member ... adds to another members OP .. with a "reply with quote".
- hard to believe that Admin cannot delete those individual banned members reply with quotes as well from the thread
- But ... even if they can't now -- getting a technical solution would be a lot easier than getting a solution to the IP identifier problem
- even if can't do 3) at the moment --- why would that stop you doing 1) and 2) !!!

As I said it is the way to remove the main part of their motivation - they cease to exist and wasted their efforts as their contributions rightly get consigned to the rubbish bin where they belong !!!

- AND stops the banned member bumping his old thread when he rejoins with another username. They will have to start all over again .. and if step out of line ... they get purged from existence again !!

So Admin - just do it and it will be the single most effective action to diswade the trolls and unacceptable behavior !!!!

John_Matrix
05-07-2014, 09:45 AM
Lol my bad, I meant pm's . bloody Google auto correct.

Eureka
05-07-2014, 09:53 AM

I'll propose to Admin, next time he gets banned, he will be placed in a " Shoot On Sight " status for at least a week ! :miao:

High Five !! Totally agree !!
And maybe it should be ... "Shoot on site for a week .plus one week for each incarnation that also got banned"
Repeat offenders get heavier sentences ...
Basis of our legal / compliance system !!

CunningLinguist
05-07-2014, 10:27 AM
High Five !! Totally agree !!
And maybe it should be ... "Shoot on site for a week .plus one week for each incarnation that also got banned"

I think that is a good idea and it would find equilibrium, each time they came back and misbehaved and got banned they would have to wait longer before they get another chance, eventually they will either give up or start behaving properly or it will be so long between posts that they will be irrelevant anyway.

EatmyhairyassholeBitch
05-07-2014, 10:32 AM
It seems to be only one offender. So we change the system to because one troll? Everybody seems very precious.......

Eureka
05-07-2014, 10:58 AM
It seems to be only one offender. So we change the system to because one troll? Everybody seems very precious.......

Valid point - at the moment ... It would seem to be one person

However - the approach or policy should be one that applies to all of us !!
It should be part of the general FORUM RULES - which like everything else should be subject to continuous improvement !!

CunningLinguist
05-07-2014, 11:57 AM

There are others who are on the shoot on sight list already.

uglyphil
05-07-2014, 12:53 PM

Except that isn't the troll a paid advertiser of this forum? And we all know (and Rolf is just the latest example of this) that the rich (or those that pay) are always given leaner sentences ;)

AHLUNGOR
05-07-2014, 12:58 PM
You don't need to ban by IP, when it is obvious that the offenderl has come back just "shoot on sight" and delete the posts.

Shoot on sight and delete all posts !!

That's the way !!

I'll second to that !!

:fire::fire::fire:

uglyphil
05-07-2014, 01:00 PM
Valid point - at the moment ... It would seem to be one person

However - the approach or policy should be one that applies to all of us !!
It should be part of the general FORUM RULES - which like everything else should be subject to continuous improvement !!

Agreed. Rules should always be subject to improvement :)

I also like the idea of any person who is banned having their entire history wiped, but I do not know how viable this is with this particular forum. While admin may have removed 2 of your posts Eureka, that is only two posts, and if there is no technical facility in place to delete all posts in bulk then it would become arduous and unviable for admin to delete all posts of such vermin.

Also, as has been pointed out, people quote the goose, which is highly annoying for those of us who have placed him on our ignore list and so cannot see his posts unless someone else quotes him. Once a troll is identified (and let's face it, it isn't that hard) then it is up to individual posters to do the right thing and NOT quote him in any replies. These is no need to do so as you can still argue with the moron if you want without resorting to this...

Of course, the troll will get around this also by simply creating multiple accounts and then using these to quote him (as he has also done in the past). But just because there are (always) ways around such things does not mean that we shouldn't try them. I say, let's give it a bash and see how the troll handles seeing all his hard work disappearing into the ether.

AHLUNGOR
05-07-2014, 01:01 PM

Make that 30 days brother WIL !! :cool2:

Licker
05-07-2014, 04:54 PM
I also like the idea of any person who is banned having their entire history wiped, but I do not know how viable this is with this particular forum. While admin may have removed 2 of your posts Eureka, that is only two posts, and if there is no technical facility in place to delete all posts in bulk then it would become arduous and unviable for admin to delete all posts of such vermin.

vBulletin (this forum software) has the function to delete all posts by a user.
In the Admin CP simply view all posts by a user, then click on "Inline Mod" then Select All...
Then delete.

ADMIN obviously knows this already :)

Also, as has been pointed out, people quote the goose, which is highly annoying for those of us who have placed him on our ignore list and so cannot see his posts unless someone else quotes him. Once a troll is identified (and let's face it, it isn't that hard) then it is up to individual posters to do the right thing and NOT quote him in any replies. These is no need to do so as you can still argue with the moron if you want without resorting to this...

Removing the quoted parts is a bit tricky since I don't think there is a function in the forum interface to remove quoted messages from posts unless removing the posts themselves.

Since vBulletin runs on top of MySQL database...
1. a SQL script could be built that looks for the quote markers within posts
2. then from that subset of posts looks for a string "Originally Posted by 'the troll' ..."
3. then replace the text within quote markers with "Originally Posted by 'the troll' - troll speak"
This would have to be ran directly against the database and is a bit risky unless you know what you're doing.
Also if the database is large this will take a bit of time to run.
At a bare minimum it would be advisable to bring the forum down for maintenance, backup the data base for the event that something goes wrong, the run the script, then test the forum still works after deletes/modifications to posts, the bring the forum back up for public.
This will easily take 2 hours each time you do it - but you need to built that script first :)

Too much work for the sake of one troll. I would not advice this, it's an overkill.

Of course, the troll will get around this also by simply creating multiple accounts and then using these to quote him (as he has also done in the past).

That's easy, just delete all posts of the troll's new user account.

---

FYI: There is no way within the interface to delete posts of a user that has already been deleted (delete user, does not delete the posts).
In that case if you still want to delete the posts and remember the user name, you'd have to run a SQL script such as below:

DELETE IGNORE
subscribeforum,
subscribethread,
event,
subscribeevent,
customavatar,
access,
moderator,
pm,
pmreceipt,
pmtext,
session,
usergrouprequest,
userban,
usernote,
user
FROM
user
LEFT JOIN subscribeforum ON subscribeforum.userid = user.userid
LEFT JOIN subscribethread ON subscribethread.userid = user.userid
LEFT JOIN event ON event.userid = user.userid
LEFT JOIN subscribeevent ON subscribeevent.userid = user.userid
LEFT JOIN customavatar ON customavatar.userid = user.userid
LEFT JOIN access ON access.userid = user.userid
LEFT JOIN moderator ON moderator.userid = user.userid
LEFT JOIN pm ON pm.userid = user.userid
LEFT JOIN pmreceipt ON pmreceipt.userid = user.userid
LEFT JOIN pmtext ON pmtext.fromuserid = user.userid
LEFT JOIN session ON session.userid = user.userid
LEFT JOIN usergrouprequest ON usergrouprequest.userid = user.userid
LEFT JOIN userban ON userban.userid = user.userid
LEFT JOIN usernote on usernote.userid = user.userid
WHERE
user.username = 'deleted_user_name'

But I would say that it is too much hassle to remove all trace of a banned user if he's been quoted, etc.
Leave the "quotes" there as a reminder and warning.

Just delete the posts, then delete the user account.
That's fairly simple procedure and does not take too much time.
(Unless of course the troll has more time in his hands and keeps creating 10 accounts a day, then this becomes "a full day job")

Eureka
05-07-2014, 06:56 PM
Someone has made an impression - you sound chuffed !!

Mind you Hitler, Goran Jilisic and Pol Pot made an "impression" also as I recall.

Although of course not comparing your crimes (including very average poetry!) with theirs ...

It does illustrate being proud of making an impression of itself .. is a hollow boast !!

OblOng
05-07-2014, 07:21 PM
Wow. This guy is playing you all like a stratovarius violin!

Someone has certainly made an impression around here. You know, all this banter is music to my ears,
perhaps there's even a poem in it all, aye. :smile:

uglyphil
05-07-2014, 07:26 PM
@Licker, thanks for the info, that clears a few things up :)

@Eureka. Thanks. Post an obligatory reminder that being a troll is nothing to be proud of without quoting the douche. Love your work :)

CunningLinguist
05-07-2014, 08:17 PM
Looks like deleting all posts and the account is pretty straight forward then, I reckon we should make it retrospective and delete all the poet trolls posts and accounts now and start the cooling off period as 27 times whatever the standard cooling off period is set at!

cato
05-07-2014, 08:38 PM
Wow. This guy is playing you all like a stratovarius violin!

Please don't insult anyone with that clumsy analogy. No one is playing a Stradivarius violin...
You and your dozens of personalities only play the same old tune on your Ignoramus keyboard.

KirkLancaster
05-07-2014, 09:44 PM
Someone has made an impression - you sound chuffed !!

Mind you Hitler, Goran Jilisic and Pol Pot made an "impression" also as I recall.

Although of course not comparing your crimes (including very average poetry!) with theirs ...

It does illustrate being proud of making an impression of itself .. is a hollow boast !!

You missed Lenin & Stalin from your list with respect to recent history.
Using your vernacular, I think it's fair to say that men of substance make an impression, and hollow men look on.

Eureka
05-07-2014, 10:17 PM
You missed Lenin & Stalin from your list with respect to recent history.
Using your vernacular, I think it's fair to say that men of substance make an impression, and hollow men look on.

Interesting
By way of your own causal argument then --- you are saying Hitler, Jilisic, Pol Pot, Lenin and Stalin were people of Substance !!!
You are certainly as a minimum a peculiar breed and at odds with the conventional view of decent folk ...
Just Saying ...

KirkLancaster
06-07-2014, 12:50 AM
Interesting
By way of your own causal argument then --- you are saying Hitler, Jilisic, Pol Pot, Lenin and Stalin were people of Substance !!!
You are certainly as a minimum a peculiar breed and at odds with the conventional view of decent folk ...
Just Saying ...

Now now, don't be naughty. We both know that substance and decency are not the same thing.
Don't get me started on Lenin, he was a real bastard. The stories I could tell you about him.

wilisno
06-07-2014, 07:12 AM
I don't see any reason for Admin not to do it - and Wilisno would know what specific instances would be a constraint at the moment.

1) I know Admin can delete a complete Post Thread ..... So any post thread started by a banned member should be just eliminated in its entirety - purged from existence (can't see why anyone would have an issue with this - if you do pls explain)

Maybe Admin wants the word " banned " to be on public display ? In case newly registered member like OblOng would jump on the defense of a troll before he knows what's happening ! ;) ;) ;)

uglyphil
06-07-2014, 09:31 AM
Oh wilisno... I think our rectangular member knows all too well what is going on ;)

Wayne
06-07-2014, 03:51 PM
Mate, there is a community on this forum. I know because I've been on it, on and off, for eight years. When these forums started up, after the internet became ubitiquous, they were like a breathe of fresh air. I've using brothels in Sydney for 30 some years. For the first time I was given an opportunity to discuss my habit. I'd found a group of people who didn't judge me. I've made some good friends on these forums.

The troll has been on the forums for the same period. He has always played a stirrer, a gadfly. That's ok. Every town needs it's fool. And he was largely tolerated for that role. But then he crossed some intangible line. Not once but time and time again. He set out to destroy every single discussion ever started. And he outed himself.

Then we got to know his political and business agenda. He is a seriously nasty bloke. I understand your comment, but think it's made through ignorance of the circumstance.

KirkLancaster
06-07-2014, 04:45 PM
Mate, there is a community on this forum. I know because I've been on it, on and off, for eight years. When these forums started up, after the internet became ubitiquous, they were like a breathe of fresh air. I've using brothels in Sydney for 30 some years. For the first time I was given an opportunity to discuss my habit. I'd found a group of people who didn't judge me. I've made some good friends on these forums.

The troll has been on the forums for the same period. He has always played a stirrer, a gadfly. That's ok. Every town needs it's fool. And he was largely tolerated for that role. But then he crossed some intangible line. Not once but time and time again. He set out to destroy every single discussion ever started. And he outed himself.

Then we got to know his political and business agenda. He is a seriously nasty bloke. I understand your comment, but think it's made through ignorance of the circumstance.

You do have a very vivid imagination, and have once again abandoned yourself to the most fanciful of rhetoric.
Your default position is simple fabrication with malicious intent. Do I have to set the record straight yet again?
I appreciate no one with an impartial perspective really cares any more, if ever they did in the first place.

For the Record:

I've been on this forum for about one year.
I’ve never been on any other or previous sex/adult forum.
i.e I was not Polonius 5 years ago on another forum.
i.e I have never outed any WLs anywhere at anytime.

The banned table list is in error more than 25% of the time - several names are quite simply wrong, and the annexured info is, by it's association, also wrong.

The absurd “profile” on me is 100% incorrect. It is simply what they want to be correct, in order to make themselves feel better in some way; it’s simply a sad,
embittered and solitary effort at self-justification. Too much time on your hands sugarplum – get a healthy hobby.

I believed Rolf Harris to be “innocent until proven guilty” (you did not, for you he was “guilty until proven innocent” – this is contrary to the standard rule of law,
i.e it is trial by media or even worse by social media – highly unsavoury). You are using the same mentality & approcah with me – accuse accuse accuse, and
hopefully the weight of false allegation will surely make him guilty somehow. This is juvenile, school yard, child-like behaviour.

I have never threatened to expose punters to their employers, how could anyone have the tech to do that? (I did say that the federal police and other
authorities clearly have the technology to monitor and expose anyone they choose, and they do have that capability).

If I have confidence in my abilities, and don't mind stating such, this may “offend” some, but that’s an issue for those who are easily offended, and nobody else.
I should also say that I feel I have a good sense of humour, something which seems to be lacking in some folk around here.

The above statement is for the record, it is not a complaint in any way whatsoever - I, like most others, lost interest in this drivel quite some time ago.

Have a good day.

Regards,
KirkLancaster (SirLaughsAlot, SmilingGiraffe, CrazyMonkey, Heinrich et al)

CunningLinguist
06-07-2014, 05:10 PM
If you were not a proven liar, and a proven troll, and hadn't been banned 26 times them someone might actually listen to you ...

This is what you said about the young girls who were molested:

The whinging slags and their lawyers seeking a payout from Rolf Harris to cover their miserable middle-age,
should be thrown out of court, then charged themselves for wasting police & court time to serve their own
vile purpose of financial betterment. Their would be no proceedings if Rolf was poor, it's just a tacky cash grab.
Shame on the ugly gold-diggers playing the victim card 30/40 years after the "life-changing" events.

Good onya Rolf.

This is what admin had to say about you PMing members and threatening to expose them to their employers:

Attention all members,

Due to the recent allegation of members sending pm's or emails to other members, threatening to expose their activities here to their employers, Aus99 would like to stress that this is the most despicable behaviour on a forum and will not be tolerated. Members found to have breached this policy will be banned via the IP, meaning further registration will not be accepted.

In the meantime, we would like to inform members that we have a strong security firewall in place, your hidden registration details can not be retrieved illegally, unless you choose to display it. That said, if any member discovers that it can be done somehow, please let us know with evidence, so we can have our IT team to deal with it and rectify the problem.

Let's work together to make this a safe and enjoyable place to spend time in.

Cheers

Aus99 Moderator

P.S. HappyQwerty has been banned via IP.

You are so full of it...

uglyphil
06-07-2014, 05:28 PM
Well done admin on banning these "two" and also on deleting some of their drivel. Wayne, might I humbly suggest that you edit your post to reflect the removal of the banned members' "contribution", I suggest that any one who had quoted this troll anywhere do the same :)

CunningLinguist
06-07-2014, 05:35 PM
Well done admin on banning these "two" and also on deleting some of their drivel. Wayne, might I humbly suggest that you edit your post to reflect the removal of the banned members' "contribution", I suggest that any one who had quoted this troll anywhere do the same :)

I agree, well done admin!
Lets hope there will be a cooling off period...

Wayne
06-07-2014, 10:32 PM

Edited. Removing his shit is a good idea. But we all know what dogs do with their shit.

Licker
07-07-2014, 12:57 AM
It seems the cooling period was a very short one.

'TaleOfTwoTitties' ??? How unoriginal.

CunningLinguist
07-07-2014, 12:59 AM
It seems the cooling period was a very short one.

'TaleOfTwoTitties' ??? How unoriginal.

He is banned now, congrats to admin again!

CunningLinguist
17-09-2014, 11:17 PM
This thread seems relevant again!