PDA

View Full Version : General talk Medical question, STI prophylaxis as risk mitigation

alwaystheeyes
21-09-2014, 12:00 PM
Tried to find mention of this elsewhere, couldn't, but it seemed like an obvious question to consider. My motivation for asking is partly curiosity regarding WL sexual health, partly a plan for a bender later in the year (WLs and pickups), and a better understanding of why things are done the way they are.

Given the recent trend towards offering BBBJ* and DATY* as standard with FS, are people (clients or WLs) using any prophylaxis beyond condoms and visual inspection?

There are 3 risks which can be reduced without great fuss: chlamydia, NGU, and HPV.
Additionally, PrEP can reduce HIV risk. But this has side effects and is hard to catch providing: things are only oral, there's no bleeding, and gums are healthy.

So:
Should people with few previous partners consider getting gardasil vaccine^ before they start punting?
This seems to me a matter of money only. If you have had few partners, or super clean virgins, there is benefit to yourself and future partners. If you've had many partners, you've likely caught many strains already and neither yourself or future partners will benefit from vaccination.

Should people (incl WLs) take prophylactic doxyxycline while active? (for NGU and chlamydia, plus a few other rarer things, probably including syphilis)
The benefit is not having to be symptomatic. The cost is low. There is potential for false security (there is no protection against Gonorrhea, Trichomonas, etc). There is potential for antibiotic resistance, but most sex tourists in SEA are on it for malaria prophylaxis anyway, at half the STI dose.

*The whole world is doing these things more. Head and neck cancers from HPV, although uncommon, are on the rise as a result. As are oral warts.

^Newish vaccine, covers 4 HPV strains, with some 'bonus' cross over into other strains. 6 month course of 3 injections, but short term protection after second dose around 6-8 weeks. Costs about $420 for the full course if you're not super young (else govt pays), generic may appear mid-late 2015.

Wayne
21-09-2014, 12:08 PM
Great post and thank you. A valuable contribution.

bob5
21-09-2014, 02:01 PM
Very good points.

Thank you for sharing.

alwaystheeyes
23-09-2014, 06:48 PM
Thanks guys. I'll just add that if you're into rimming, there's a combined Hepatitis A and typhoid vaccine too.

Anyone ever tried prophylaxis for higher risk activities?

WHITEDUDE
28-09-2014, 01:07 PM
Alwaystheeyes dude! you must be a doctor? You are fucking scaring me, maybe they should make it compulsory for the Wls to get shots etc

harmony
28-09-2014, 02:12 PM
Great post. Any medical people here ?

Jim.james54321go
01-09-2020, 10:33 PM
Also, I think kitchen cling film wrap is an easy additional physical barrier to HPV watts and herpes