PDA

View Full Version : General talk Hostage situation in Lindt Cafe Martin Place

light016
15-12-2014, 05:25 PM
Hopefully no one gets hurt. Stay safe everyone.

Shops might be quieter due to this or are punters taking advantage of getting off work early?

Bawal
15-12-2014, 07:18 PM
Tempted but didn't go ahead, too much things going on my head thinking about the situation.

end user
15-12-2014, 07:29 PM
Same. I could really use a RnT but not worth the risk.
On the other hand, what a way to go......

refokkused
15-12-2014, 08:09 PM
It is eerily quiet in the city tonight .... i'm down the haymarket end and its dead quiet !

EatmyhairyassholeBitch
15-12-2014, 08:18 PM
RnT shops will be hanging to release punters............

pro_seeker
15-12-2014, 09:16 PM
I thought about that too but yeah in the end thought better of it. Better to be with family in times like this

rooter
15-12-2014, 09:30 PM
I went for a punt tonight.
Fuck these terrorists who want to destroy our free, democratic, liberal lifestyle.
Business as usual - fuck them.
The aim of terrorists is to terrorise, and our best response is to refuse to be terrorised.
My thoughts and prayers go out to the hostages and to the many peaceful and decent Muslims in the community.
Lets hope we get through this without loss of life and without senseless reprisals against innocent Muslims just trying to live their lives peacefully and safely.

kezza
15-12-2014, 09:53 PM
I went for a punt tonight.
Fuck these terrorists who want to destroy our free, democratic, liberal lifestyle.
Business as usual - fuck them.
The aim of terrorists is to terrorise, and our best response is to refuse to be terrorised.
My thoughts and prayers go out to the hostages and to the many peaceful and decent Muslims in the community.
Lets hope we get through this without loss of life and without senseless reprisals against innocent Muslims just trying to live their lives peacefully and safely.+1.. Got the train into town tonight as a big fuck you.. went and had a good hour at Thairepeutic then train home.. my thoughts are with the poor buggers stuck in Martin Place and all those doing what they can to get them out safely and here's hoping it ends well..

Sextus
15-12-2014, 11:46 PM
This caught me by surprise. I was working in the eastern suburbs from 9.30 to 5.30 - car radio doesn't work there and back. Got home made dinner and watched "If you are the one" while eating with my usual big smile on my face the whole hour admiring the pretty C-girls. So didn't hear about the drama until I changed channel at 8.30, by which time it had been already happening for 10 hours.

I saw some footage of two pretty waitresses escaping, poor sweethearts they looked terrified.

AHLUNGOR
16-12-2014, 12:04 AM
Spoke to two of my Mamasan friends in the city during the late afternoon and both were saying it was really quiet today, a few people who had made bookings earlier had to ring back and cancel !

Hopefully business will be back to normal after the siege is ended !!

Sizematters
16-12-2014, 01:36 AM
What I can't believe is the lengths some people will go to for a bite of CHOCOLATE .... Obviously this guy has a serious sweet tooth!!!!

Oneonone
16-12-2014, 06:46 AM
What a sad and disappointing ending to this tragedy our thoughts and sympathy to the families at this time.

pantydroppa
16-12-2014, 08:10 AM
What I can't believe is the lengths some people will go to for a bite of CHOCOLATE .... Obviously this guy has a serious sweet tooth!!!!

Tasteless humor. Something must be really wrong with you if you think any part of this is funny.

harmony
16-12-2014, 09:07 AM
I pay my respects to the two hostages that lost their lives at the hands of a criminal
Rest in peace

This criminal (I will not mention his name, he deserves no publicity), should have been deported
The criminal had a serious criminal record
We are just too accepting in this country

If this man was protesting the government in such an open way, in another country, like China, he would have been locked up for a long time - and been stopped from commiting this crime

And thank you to the patient Police and Ambulance workers, for their primary objective of preserving life as the priority
Thank you for their patience, and thank you for putting their lives on the line for us all

light016
16-12-2014, 09:15 AM
RIP to those 2 brave souls.
And good job to police and emergency workers for their response and actions.

Cant say the same about the media though.. reporting any and all speculation that they come across without confirming first..

on a brighter note... our building was in lock down yesterday and i was imagining what if you were in a shop and they announced that it is in lock down..

AHLUNGOR
16-12-2014, 09:22 AM
Police snipers should have taken him out earlier. He was clearly visible through the window. Tragedy.

I think until the three hostages ran out yesterday afternoon, the police could not be sure if he was alone, if there were more than one gunman and the police took him out. Then the second person would have open fire and everybody died !

The police took as long as they did putting the safety of the hostages first rather be doing a Rambo or John Wayne which could have resulted in more life's lost!

There was also unconfirmed report that the gunman told the hostages that there are 4 explosives in the city and the police has to investigate that and take the threat very seriously!

I think given the circumstances we should look at the result as being 15 innocent lifes have been saved rather than losing two of our own !

R.I.P.

garfield
16-12-2014, 09:34 AM
Still went punting yesterday, just need to go to shops a bit further away from all the actions.

One of the two girls who came out earlier looks cute.

Oneonone
16-12-2014, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by zigzag View Post

Police snipers should have taken him out earlier. He was clearly visible through the window. Tragedy.

I tend to agree with you but can you imagine the uproar from all those so called good doers out there.

Don't forget a criminal has more rights than the rest of us, the poor guy that shot him would have been haunted and rubbished for the rest of his life.

Great thing hind sight but its time in this country that once you pick up a gun or a knife etc and threaten someone you should have no more rights.

If someone breaks into you house with a gun and robs you if you harm them your in more trouble than they are!

The law in this country is made by lawyers to further the interest and bank accounts of lawyers nothing else.

jadeofsydney
16-12-2014, 11:25 AM
Why was that creature out on bail? He was facing very serious charges.

RIP to the innocent victims.

PhoBot
16-12-2014, 01:14 PM
Why was that creature out on bail? He was facing very serious charges.

RIP to the innocent victims.

Why was this piece of crap let into Australia in the first place?

#fuckislam

Sextus
16-12-2014, 03:14 PM
He was a high profile surveillance target for the authorities. There is no way he would have been able to gather the restricted materials for a bomb or have any expertise for their assembly whatsoever therefore. His backpack was a dummy. The authorities would have been aware of this and should have fed this information via text to the hostages. No bomb, no trigger mechanism anywhere and falling off to sleep? Pretty easy for five people to pin down and get the gun out of his hand, a hand which after fifteen hours of holding would have been very fatigued.

bigfatkilo
16-12-2014, 03:23 PM
Why was this piece of crap let into Australia in the first place?

#fuckislam

hey mate, that is not useful, appropriate or fair.

AHLUNGOR
16-12-2014, 03:42 PM
He was a high profile surveillance target for the authorities. There is no way he would have been able to gather the restricted materials for a bomb or have any expertise for their assembly whatsoever therefore. His backpack was a dummy. The authorities would have aware of this and should have fed this information via text to the hostages. No bomb, no trigger mechanism anywhere and falling off to sleep? Pretty easy for five people to pin down and get the gun out of his hand, a hand which after ten hours of holding would have been very fatigued.

Hi Brother Sextus,

It sounds easy enough for someone like yourself who might have a military background or special training or whatever. To be honest, if it was me, I would have been shitting in my pants and hiding in the corner praying to get out alive !!

:sweat:

harmony
16-12-2014, 04:16 PM
Im with Sextus

The criminal had 3 ridiculous demands - an Isil flag, an interview with a radio station, and a conversation with the Prime Minister
Sooner or later this criminal would have started killing everyone in the cafe, when his demands are ignored, and he realised that he will never escape police capture
Even though the loss of 2 lives is an absolute tragedy, and Im gutted by this, the actions of the manager possibly saved the lives of all the other hostages still in the cafe at 2am who were able to escape with their lives

Im thinking that in reality a few people may have tried to overpower him, but Im sure the story will come out soon from the hostages that escaped

Again, I just think we have to deport some of these antisocial creatures as soon as they start publically criticising our country
They should have no recourse to a lawyer who defends the indefensible. Just a quick deportation, with the minimum of publicity
This criminal was actually convicted writing and mailing insulting letters to the families of Australian military who died while serving overseas
He was also facing court over charges that he was involved in the murder of his exwife, and also faced multliple assault charges

Sextus
16-12-2014, 04:46 PM
I certainly don't have military training, and I would have been shitting myself for a good while too. But with fifteen hours to think and willing helpers there would have been opportunities for weight of numbers. He was falling asleep at the end I hear and the police were literally seconds away.

harmony
16-12-2014, 05:05 PM
Sextus, I want to know is if this creature was a foreign national, or had Australian citizenship. If the former, he needed to be deported well before this week
Cheers

dohdoe
16-12-2014, 06:25 PM
Sextus, I want to know is if this creature was a foreign national, or had Australian citizenship. If the former, he needed to be deported well before this week
Cheers
he is an Australian citizen.
If he wasn't he would have been deported for being of unsound character a long time ago

aussiegaigin
16-12-2014, 09:23 PM
he is an Australian citizen.
If he wasn't he would have been deported for being of unsound character a long time ago

IIRC he was born overseas. It is possible to annul such citizenship.

Sextus
16-12-2014, 10:17 PM
It is possible to annul such citizenship.

It's just been annulled.

wildeowl
17-12-2014, 01:02 AM
Until convicted of serious offences (which may have happened although the accessory to murder charge was "weak" according to the magistrate) it would have been very difficult to strip him of his Australian citizenship and deport him. Writing distasteful letters is not a serious crime. Harmony's suggestion that someone be deported for criticising the country must be challenged (a heat of the moment statement which may be understandable?) fortunately we live in a democracy where free speech is respected (subject to the reasonable limitations that exist). anyone should be free to criticise the country they live in - this is not a totalitarian State like China, Zimbabwe, Saudi Arabia etc. nor can a free democratic society deny someone access to a lawyer. The bail issue is different, but without all relevant information it is difficult to say whether the decision was wrong (without the benefit of hindsight). I will now step off the soapbox.

uglyphil
17-12-2014, 06:29 AM
hey mate, that is not useful, appropriate or fair.

More than that, what phobot said was dumb, ignorant, immature and shows they are a part of the problem, not the solution.

#iwillridewithyou

uglyphil
17-12-2014, 06:30 AM
We are just too accepting in this country

If this man was protesting the government in such an open way, in another country, like China, he would have been locked up for a long time - and been stopped from commiting this crime

Then go live in China.

No?

Thought not.

uglyphil
17-12-2014, 06:36 AM
He was a high profile surveillance target for the authorities. There is no way he would have been able to gather the restricted materials for a bomb or have any expertise for their assembly whatsoever therefore. His backpack was a dummy. The authorities would have been aware of this and should have fed this information via text to the hostages. No bomb, no trigger mechanism anywhere and falling off to sleep? Pretty easy for five people to pin down and get the gun out of his hand, a hand which after fifteen hours of holding would have been very fatigued.

Actually Sextus it has been stated that he was no longer a "high profile" target for the authorities.

A better question is how did someone such as this gain access to an illegal weapon (pump action shotgun) because if it wasn't illegal for him to have it, i.e. he has the correct grade of firearms licence, then questions certainly need to be asked how someone currently accused of violent crimes (not convicted) can keep such a licence.

Sadly, I am still waiting for some cowboy to post on social media how if we were allowed to carry handguns in this country such a tragedy could have been avoided. Yes, there are people that are people that are that dumb in this country they actually think this :(

uglyphil
17-12-2014, 06:45 AM
What happened to zigzag's post?

In reply to it as quoted by others, snipers are and should be a last resort. In any case speak to any sniper and they will tell you that shooting through any sort of obstruction, especially glass, is less than ideal. The bullet doesn't act as it does in the movies, there is no neat little round hole (in the glass or the target). The glass shatters which can lead to injury or death to innocent bystanders. The bullet deflects and starts to tumble which means you cannot guarantee a hit on the target giving them time to take cover, or worse, you hit a hostage instead.

Even if you do by some miracle hit your target you will then need to deal with the psychological trauma and damage inflicted on hostages (and others) of having biological matter sprayed all over them.

In short, too many variables and therefore too risky unless absolutely necessary.

uglyphil
17-12-2014, 06:49 AM
Until convicted of serious offences (which may have happened although the accessory to murder charge was "weak" according to the magistrate) it would have been very difficult to strip him of his Australian citizenship and deport him. Writing distasteful letters is not a serious crime. Harmony's suggestion that someone be deported for criticising the country must be challenged (a heat of the moment statement which may be understandable?) fortunately we live in a democracy where free speech is respected (subject to the reasonable limitations that exist). anyone should be free to criticise the country they live in - this is not a totalitarian State like China, Zimbabwe, Saudi Arabia etc. nor can a free democratic society deny someone access to a lawyer. The bail issue is different, but without all relevant information it is difficult to say whether the decision was wrong (without the benefit of hindsight). I will now step off the soapbox.

+1

This is by far the best and most sensible post in this thread, although there have been other sensible posts as well.

Anything posted is and will be pure speculation, at least for the next few days and possibly even weeks. We simply do not have enough information at this time to make any assumptions. :(

RIP Mr Johnson and Ms Dawson

rooter
17-12-2014, 07:44 AM
130 innocent school children were slaughtered in Pakistan by Taliban terrorists overnight.
Armed with semi automatic weapons they stormed class room after classroom gunning down children as they sat at their desks or shot them in the back as they tried to run away in fear and terror.
130 kids shot down in cold blood; hundreds of parents whose children won't come home tonight.
Terrorism is a tragedy and an outrage and a crime against all humanity wherever it happens.
We should be outraged by the killing of two Aussies in Martin Place, and the public displays of mourning and solidarity are very positive and moving.
And we should also be outraged by and mourn the death of these innocent kids, whose last seconds of their young lives were filled with terror, fear and pain and whose last birthday was indeed their last.

Sergaent Brody
17-12-2014, 07:53 AM
I went and paid my respect at Martin Place yesterday.

This hits home hard as I go through Martin Place several times a week ...

Islam is not a problem but it is not racist to point out that almost unilaterally, save for the Russians in Ukraine, the recent terrorists acts were related one way or the other to some men of Islamic faith, who wants to enforce their religion and way of life upon others. You don't see Buddhist or Hindu do it ...

I appreciate the Muslim leaders come out and say they are sorry and appalled ... but don't just do this after the event, do something about your community and your new generation? Something your religion or culture is being abused to feed these terrible people, find it and fix it before all the goodwill runs out.

Ok, I said this. Brand me racist all you want

kezza
17-12-2014, 08:19 AM
Sadly, I am still waiting for some cowboy to post on social media how if we were allowed to carry handguns in this country such a tragedy could have been avoided. Yes, there are people that are people that are that dumb in this country they actually think this :( I think this is one instance where our gun laws have probably worked.. it's obviously not good the hostage taker was able to get his hands on a shotgun but imagine how much worse it could have been if he had access to automatic or semiautomatic weapons as in the USA..

harmony
17-12-2014, 08:40 AM
Well said kezza. Giving more access to firearms just means more idiots have access to firearms

wilisno
17-12-2014, 09:39 AM
I went and paid my respect at Martin Place yesterday.

This hits home hard as I go through Martin Place several times a week ...

Islam is not a problem but it is not racist to point out that almost unilaterally, save for the Russians in Ukraine, the recent terrorists acts were related one way or the other to some men of Islamic faith, who wants to enforce their religion and way of life upon others. You don't see Buddhist or Hindu do it ...

I appreciate the Muslim leaders come out and say they are sorry and appalled ... but don't just do this after the event, do something about your community and your new generation? Something your religion or culture is being abused to feed these terrible people, find it and fix it before all the goodwill runs out.

Ok, I said this. Brand me racist all you want
I do agree that Muslim leaders should come out more often to preach against violence in the name of their faith, maybe more TV appearances in the form of a campaign, on a regular basis.

But let's not forget this crime was committed by a deranged criminal acting on his own, I believe he would have committed similar crimes even if he's not a Muslim !

My only question is with his criminal record, and the frequent outbursts of his idealism in public, why wasn't he on the terror watch list ?

Kaylie
17-12-2014, 11:11 AM
Tasteless humor. Something must be really wrong with you if you think any part of this is funny.

Agree. Not really appropriate to be making jokes with this one.

croney
17-12-2014, 03:15 PM
This guy wasn't a classic terrorist.
I'm thinking of him more as a nutter. Hard to predict what those people will do

harmony
17-12-2014, 07:35 PM
The guy was a nutcase and a criminal from the start
We need all refugees from wartorn countries to have a 10 year probationary period before they are granted citizenship

This criminal ended up shooting an unarmed lady at point blank range. Truly gutless, and against everything our country stands for

cleetusvandamme
17-12-2014, 08:34 PM

Don't forget a criminal has more rights than the rest of us,

Really? How?

The law in this country is made by lawyers to further the interest and bank accounts of lawyers nothing else.

Lawyers don't make laws, ex-lawyer politicians maybe, but do you really think the only reason they make them is to enrich their lawyer buddies? I doubt any single law has been passed for this reason.

harmony
18-12-2014, 08:36 AM
"Don't forget a criminal has more rights than the rest of us
"Really? How?"

Quite simple really. This lowlife did not have a job, and he relied on taxpayer paid welfare
Being unemployed, he qualified for free Legal Aid, which paid >$100 000 for an appeal for one of his legal cases to be taken to the High Court

If you are an honest worker and pay your own way in life, if you want the same rights and legal representation, then a QC will cost you $10 000 / day for the same legal rights

Kaylie
18-12-2014, 10:11 AM
Political Correctness has gone mad.

Finally someone speaking with reason - http://jewtube.tv/israel-conflict/brigitte-gabriels-answer-will-shut-every-muslim-world/

Sextus
18-12-2014, 12:38 PM
Jewtube? Haha! I've never heard of that one!

What a loudmouth she is - yikes - get me out of here!

She verbals "all intelligence agencies" (really?) say that "15-25% of all muslims are dangerous radicals." Then bases her following remarks on the preposterously large figure she's made up herself. Then she makes subsequent referrals only to the "25%" figure. It is like looking at an average football crowd and saying that 25% of them are dangerous radicals! ha ha!

As for her second point, Mao Zedong said it before her: "all power grows out of the barrel of a gun." As a body, the majority of the populace have always been pissweak. It doesn't matter what religion they may have or not have, the majority have always been pissweak.

Except at ballot time in democracies.

cleetusvandamme
18-12-2014, 02:19 PM
"Don't forget a criminal has more rights than the rest of us
"Really? How?"

Quite simple really. This lowlife did not have a job, and he relied on taxpayer paid welfare
Being unemployed, he qualified for free Legal Aid, which paid >$100 000 for an appeal for one of his legal cases to be taken to the High Court

If you are an honest worker and pay your own way in life, if you want the same rights and legal representation, then a QC will cost you $10 000 for the same legal rights

Everyone has the right to welfare and legal aid if they're unemployed and for good reason it's called "social security". And being unemployed doesn't make you a criminal.
It could be argued that QC's charges are criminal though.

So how do criminals have more rights than the rest of us?

harmony
18-12-2014, 02:39 PM
This criminal was released from jail 'on bail', despite allegedly facing serious criminal charges involving being an accessory to a murder

There are many cases where criminals know the system so well, and have access to high profile lawyers who are paid for by the taxpayer, that they remain on the streets

If another person with a job, cant afford good legal representation, and cant get legal aid, its often the case that the outcome for that person is worse

cleetusvandamme
18-12-2014, 04:41 PM
The rich definitely have a big advantage and can often buy rights that the average person can't afford but I still don't see how this translates as "criminals have more rights than the rest of us".

harmony
18-12-2014, 04:47 PM
This man was still free despite multiple alleged sexual assault charges/convictions, and a clearly unbalanced mental state, and likely no time spent in a prison or mental facility
If the majority of readers of this forum were guilty of even one sexual assault, we would have spent time in jail
Enough has been said about this.
There are different rules for those who go about their life in a lawful way, and those intransigent criminals who know the 'go to' people to stay out of jail

As a society, we are far too accommodating for those who have no respect for our lawful way of life, in my opinion only

cleetusvandamme
18-12-2014, 05:01 PM
But if a member of this forum committed a sexual assault then they would be a criminal and therefore become eligible for these special criminal rights wouldn't they?
You seem to be saying that we need to be harsher on people who break the law but my original question to the op remains, how do criminals have more rights than the rest of us?

harmony
18-12-2014, 05:15 PM
Criminals have more access to services that allow them to function and exist outside the law

If a respectable member of the community, say a successful businessman, was found to be guilty of multiple sexual assaults, he would be jailed without doubt

I cant say it more clearly than this

cleetusvandamme
18-12-2014, 05:33 PM
But he'd have access to a QC wouldn't he? And he'd also be criminal which would give him access to the special criminal services?
Or are you just talking about poor people?
Anyway I'm get bored now and since you can't say it any more clearly I don't think I'll ever understand what you're talking about.

harmony
18-12-2014, 05:37 PM
Believe me, the world is often not understandable. Dont try to use logic, as it doesnt work when we are dealing with human nature or the law

You will find there will be changes in the legal system due to weak bail laws next year, 31 January 2014
These 'bail law' changes may or may not make us safer, but the costs of building more jails is going to be considerable to the state of NSW

Again, dont try and rationalise this, or ask for an explanation

cleetusvandamme
18-12-2014, 05:49 PM
Ah that's where I was going wrong, I was trying to use logic.
I can't wait til January 28th when we all get our rights back.

harmony
18-12-2014, 05:54 PM
Again, dont use logic
We never get our rights back. The rights of law abiding citizens are eroding more and more each year

Thanks to our criminal friends, we no longer can use the phone, text or use the internet, without everything being collected as "metadata" for 2 years
Police will soon have the power to detain people for unspecified lengths of time, without any formal charges first being laid

There is no logic. Just overwhelming suppression of the law abiding citizen

cleetusvandamme
18-12-2014, 06:02 PM
Yes I've given up on the idea that there may be logic to your argument. Otherwise I'd be confused that you seem to want harsher laws but also complain about them being enacted.

Anyway, Merry Christmas!

(While we're still allowed to celebrate it!)

harmony
18-12-2014, 06:04 PM
I never asked for harsher laws. I just am stating what is happening
We all just want a peaceful country

uglyphil
18-12-2014, 06:07 PM
Lets all agree ,that we as a society, are far too accommodating for those who have no respect for our lawful way of life

Why should all agree to something that is your OPINION? Something that is definitely NOT a fact?

uglyphil
18-12-2014, 06:09 PM
Again, dont use logic
We never get our rights back. The rights of law abiding citizens are eroding more and more each year

Thanks to our criminal friends, we no longer can use the phone, text or use the internet, without everything being collected as "metadata" for 2 years
Police will soon have the power to detain people for unspecified lengths of time, without any formal charges first being laid

There is no logic. Just overwhelming suppression of the law abiding citizen

Huh?

It is Governments that make these laws, not criminals.

harmony
18-12-2014, 06:09 PM
Sure uglyphil, the comment has been edited. Just one persons opinion

uglyphil
18-12-2014, 06:11 PM
Sadly, I am still waiting for some cowboy to post on social media how if we were allowed to carry handguns in this country such a tragedy could have been avoided. Yes, there are people that are people that are that dumb in this country they actually think this :(

I think this is one instance where our gun laws have probably worked.. it's obviously not good the hostage taker was able to get his hands on a shotgun but imagine how much worse it could have been if he had access to automatic or semiautomatic weapons as in the USA..

Exactly Kezza.

Unfortunately, it appears I have been proven correct. Even more unfortunately the cowboy is one of our pollies :(

https://au.news.yahoo.com/nsw/a/25804772/calls-to-relax-gun-laws-are-wrong-baird/

uglyphil
18-12-2014, 06:13 PM
Sure uglyphil, the comment has been edited. Just one persons opinion

Thanks. **thumbs up**

cleetusvandamme
18-12-2014, 06:54 PM
Huh?

It is Governments that make these laws, not criminals.

You're using logic dude, big mistake.
Don't worry, I did it too.

Sam0001
21-12-2014, 11:52 PM

Iran in 2000, wanted him extradited for violent and fraudulent crimes whilst his asylum application was pending in Australia. Australia decided not to send him back because, well, we didn't have any extradition legislation to do so. However, we could have sent him back based on the evidence from Iran Police (I would have thought these are the type of asylum seekers we don't want, especially when a red flag is waved in our face). Once he was granted asylum in 2001, he became our problem, we all know how that panned out.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/sydney-siege-iran-says-it-requested-extradition-of-gunman-man-haron-monis-in-2000-20141217-128qoi.html

His wife is a piece of work as well

AHLUNGOR
22-12-2014, 08:37 AM
Iran in 2000, wanted him extradited for violent and fraudulent crimes whilst his asylum application was pending in Australia. Australia decided not to send him back because, well, we didn't have any extradition legislation to do so. However, we could have sent him back based on the evidence from Iran Police (I would have thought these are the type of asylum seekers we don't want, especially when a red flag is waved in our face). Once he was granted asylum in 2001, he became our problem, we all know how that panned out.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/sydney-siege-iran-says-it-requested-extradition-of-gunman-man-haron-monis-in-2000-20141217-128qoi.html

That might have something to do with - the enemy of your enemy could be your friend ? Theory ? Like, if it was the US, UK or Turkey that wanted the guy, we would have sent him back in the first plane !

I don't think the Australian government ever has too much political tide with Iran anyway!

CunningLinguist
22-12-2014, 06:20 PM

The NSW government has called for an investigation into why Monis "slipped through the cracks" of the judicial system and was released from custody.

We must have some pretty big cracks ...

harmony
22-12-2014, 07:01 PM
"we didn't have any extradition legislation to do so"
No, but if immigrants from war affected countries are given a probationary period, before they earn citizenship, then they can be deported
This man was wanted for fraud charges in Iran - the Iranian government notified the Australian government about this issue

This guy was facing sexual assault charges within 6 years of his arrival into the country, from 2002 (court due to proceed in 2015)
During this time he was impersonating a religious leader/sheik (which is a huge issue in itself)
In addition, was was awaiting court proceedings regarding allegations of accessory to murder

Most of these nutjobs give consistent indications they are unfit to remain in Australia within the first few years of arrival

We just need to keep our eyes open

jadeofsydney
22-12-2014, 07:40 PM

Looks like common sense has prevailed. Amirah Droudis had her bail revoked this afternoon.

wildeowl
23-12-2014, 01:54 AM
If there is no extradition treaty with Iran, Australia could not have sent him back there.

wildeowl
23-12-2014, 01:57 AM
He could have been denied refugee status but obviously those who make these decisions thought otherwise. Maybe the Iranian charges lacked substance?

Sextus
23-12-2014, 04:51 PM
I read that they are having trouble finding a moslem funeral plarlour to bury him. A moslem leader said he should be "dumped out at sea, or down a shithouse."

AHLUNGOR
23-12-2014, 05:09 PM
I read that they are having trouble finding a moslem funeral plarlour to bury him. A moslem leader said he should be "dumped out at sea, or down a shithouse."

May be we can learn from the US what they did to Bin Laden's body !

Dumped at sea but in accordance with Muslim traditions and do it respectively !

CunningLinguist
23-12-2014, 06:29 PM
He wasn't a real cleric either ...