PDA

View Full Version : Complaint iPhone matters

AHLUNGOR
19-12-2014, 09:32 AM
Hi there,

I am thinking of upgrading my current iPhone 4 to iPhone 6 - I like a bigger screen as my eye sight is not what they used to be.............lol

But I have some concerns, as my Mrs was telling me that if I get a new phone, she likes to get my old one !!

So for all you iPhone experts out there, please help:

1. How do you delete the contacts ?? like permanently deleted them ?

2. If I clear all the history and book marks and all that, is there still a way to find out what websites I have been visiting ?

3. After deleting the messages and calls history, is there a way to retrieve them - like are those details being stored somewhere ?

And if you guys can think of any other risks which may expose - you know what !! - please advise so that I don't hand over all the evidence to the wife !!

Thank you brothers

Cheers

:question:

kln
19-12-2014, 09:44 AM
2. If I clear all the history and book marks and all that, is there still a way to find out what websites I have been visiting ?

I think the best way is to factory reset the phone and should be done, wiped clean. No risks. just like the name implies: back to stock.

3. After deleting the messages and calls history, is there a way to retrieve them - like are those details being stored somewhere ?

If you wanna back it up for personal reasons, you can get some app to back it up. However if you are just worried about it being recoverable then factory reset is best, just reset and cleaned to stock.

I'm with android all this while, so cannot guide you from here, however a quick search came out with this:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-factory-reset-an-iphone/

Hope that helps, pls ask if u require anything else, cheers.

AHLUNGOR
19-12-2014, 09:50 AM

I think the best way is to factory reset the phone and should be done, wiped clean. No risks. just like the name implies: back to stock.

If you wanna back it up for personal reasons, you can get some app to back it up. However if you are just worried about it being recoverable then factory reset is best, just reset and cleaned to stock.

I'm with android all this while, so cannot guide you from here, however a quick search came out with this:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-factory-reset-an-iphone/

Hope that helps, pls ask if u require anything else, cheers.

Thanks brother kln,

But I don't think factory reset is a good idea, because there are only about 10-12 contact phone numbers I need to delete (like all my favourite shops............lol) but there are like hundreds of family and work contacts which I do need to keep, especially all the family and friends which are common to the Mrs !!

harmony
19-12-2014, 10:02 AM
Bro, best thing is to go to an Apple store, and go to the Genius counter where they deal with customer technical enquiries
They will understand your story, and give you the best option for backing up phone numbers that you need, and deleting the rest

If I was you, I would write on a piece of paper all the contacts and numbers that you want to keep, and get a factory reset
Yes, it is a major hassle to write down 100s of phone contact details, that your lady wants to keep !
But if the consequences of your lady finding some strange content on your phone is very serious, then you need to go the extra effort to remove everything dodgy from your phone
Its worth it to avoid any future big trouble
I had an ex gf find a strange number on my mobile phone in the past, and she rang it - it took a lot of trouble to explain that number

One lesson I have learnt is that a lady (gf, wife, daughter, friend), can find their way around a phone very well, and WILL find out any secrets you have
Just not worth it to have your information discovered
You also dont want to risk a photo or image being discovered, and its easy for that to happen unless you know where on your phone all photos are stored
And internet history is another thing - do you know where those history records are stored ?
What about sms, do you know how to truly delete all sms from unusual people, and not leave any behind ?
What about wechat, viber, or all the other messenger software, do you have unusual contacts or messages on those services ?

I would get a factory reset after I have written down the essential numbers I need to keep
I wouldnt tell your lady that you reset your phone, that may make her suspicious !
Just my 2 cents

AHLUNGOR
19-12-2014, 10:29 AM
Bro, best thing is to go to an Apple store, and go to the Genius counter where they deal with customer technical enquiries
They will understand your story, and give you the best option for backing up phone numbers that you need, and deleting the rest

If I was you, I would write on a piece of paper all the contacts and numbers that you want to keep, and get a factory reset
Yes, it is a major hassle to write down 100s of phone contact details, that your lady wants to keep !
But if the consequences of your lady finding some strange content on your phone is very serious, then you need to go the extra effort to remove everything dodgy from your phone
Its worth it to avoid any future big trouble
I had an ex gf find a strange number on my mobile phone in the past, and she rang it - it took a lot of trouble to explain that number

One lesson I have learnt is that a lady (gf, wife, daughter, friend), can find their way around a phone very well, and WILL find out any secrets you have
Just not worth it to have your information discovered
You also dont want to risk a photo or image being discovered, and its easy for that to happen unless you know where on your phone all photos are stored
And internet history is another thing - do you know where those history records are stored ?
What about sms, do you know how to truly delete all sms from unusual people, and not leave any behind ?
What about wechat, viber, or all the other messenger software, do you have unusual contacts or messages on those services ?

I would get a factory reset after I have written down the essential numbers I need to keep
I wouldnt tell your lady that you reset your phone, that may make her suspicious !
Just my 2 cents

Thanks buddy!

I just have this uneasy feelings in my gut that if I hand over my phone, there is probably just a way that the Mrs is gonna to find out a few things !!!

May be I should just drop the phone on the pavement and crack the screen ! so I just get a new phone and throw away the old one along with any potential risk !!

May be it's worth my while just buy the Mrs another new phone too..............lol

GreenL
19-12-2014, 10:29 AM
haha bro ahlungor, I had the same concern. Simple, back up all contact and stuff you want to keep on icloud, chuck the phone into the toilet bowl, tell the misus it's unrepairable and you'll get her a new one if she want. And go get a new iphone 6 for yourself lol.

AHLUNGOR
19-12-2014, 10:38 AM
So basically , there is no way to delete a contact in iPhone unless you do a factory reset ??

wilisno
19-12-2014, 10:41 AM
Just plug it in the computer installed with ITunes, reset it there and it becomes a blank new phone ! I did it once by accident when I switched to a new carrier and new number.

harden13
19-12-2014, 11:46 AM
Just another tip, switch off "iCloud" service. This is because "iCloud" enables any other Apple device logged with your Apple ID to have access to each mobiles info.
Let me give you my own example: I have iPhone 4 and iPhone 6. When I got iPhone 6, I gave my i4 to my mom. I deleted pictures and contacts off the old phone but "iCloud" was still on linking my iPhone 6. So on my new iPhone 6 I re-added my bookmarks, contacts and photos. Then 1 week later my mom comes telling me why does she always have random girl pics appearing in her photo album...and then I realize it was the pics I put on my iPhone 6 LOL
Abit embarrassing but anyways, just trying to say.....turn off "iCloud" and log out ur Apple ID.
If ur wife uses ur Apple ID as well and doesn't have her own, just make sure "iCloud" is never turned on or else all ur apps, contacts and bookmarks will be shared and automatically synced to each device. EG- you download an App on ur phone, it will be downloaded on her phone too automatically.
But if she has her own Apple ID, then it shouldn't be too big of a deal.

harmony
19-12-2014, 01:43 PM
"I just have this uneasy feelings in my gut that if I hand over my phone"
Your instincts are right

I also have uneasy feelings that if you dont factory reset your phone, and block any connection between your new and old phones, then your lady will find something in the future
A nasty little surprise for her

Trust me, I had a girlfriend who took 2 minutes to find out unusual things on my phone, and she rang the number she didnt recognise - all while I was asleep
Im not saying your lady is like this, but you never want that situation to happen, because the relationship changes forever if that happens
Just not worth it

Icloud backup freaks me out. Imagine if your new phone contacts and so on get sent to your ladys iPhone 4 !
Im sure this will only happen if you use the same Apple ID for your new phone
Even a 1% chance of this happening is bad

Write down all your important information, go to a genius store, and make sure they reset it completely, and they break any connection/link between your new iPhone6 to your old iPhone 4 !
My 2 cents

Beancounter
19-12-2014, 02:02 PM
Do a complete restore of the phone and create a separate iCloud account for your wife. Load the phone contacts separetely and let your wife set it up from scratch. You will be pretty safe that way. Unless she has a degree in IT, it will be pretty hard for her to recover data from a wiped phone.

I wouldn't go to the extreme of throwing your phone away.

harmony
19-12-2014, 02:04 PM
Beancounter, I think his lady wants the contact details for all the peolple that she knows, from the old iPhone4

But I agree, I would say "I reset the phone, because of the new contract", and write down all the contacts that you think she will need before you have the phone reset

light016
19-12-2014, 06:53 PM
yea the easiest way will be to do a factory reset. but if you want to put more effort in to it probably try deleting the contacts you dont want then back it up and then factory reset then restore.. just to make sure the old contacts doesnt go back do this a few times. if its just the contacts you want to keep then it should be easier..

toilet33
20-12-2014, 03:40 AM
Brother Ahlungor, don't risk it. Save the contacts by exporting as a vcf. Do a factory reset so everything is wiped. Create a new icloud account for your missus. Then restore contacts by importing the vcf. You can then delete the risky ontacts from the phone, leaving only the family ones behind . The risk is you leave a non-family/friend contact on the phone, so double check everything.

harmony
20-12-2014, 08:52 AM
If you get the factory reset, its good to have a reason why you wiped your phone
Just say "I took it to the Apple store, and the technical staff found a malfunctioning app draining the battery, so recommended to reset the phone"
Or something like that

wilisno
20-12-2014, 09:00 AM
If you get the factory reset, its good to have a reason why you wiped your phone
Just say "I took it to the Apple store, and the technical staff found a malfunctioning app draining the battery, so recommended to reset the phone"
Or something like that
When asked about which malfunctioning app so she can avoid installing it again, just say " Forum Runner " to log on to Syd99 ! ;) ;) ;)

DarkZero01
20-12-2014, 09:02 AM
Bro Ahlungor if you are paranoid/ afraid that she will discover your special contacts, just make an excuse and destroy the old iphone and make sure its not repairable, of course backup your contacts first before you do.

harmony
20-12-2014, 09:21 AM
Good one wilisno haha

Is "forum runner" an app or is it accessed from an internet browser?

wilisno
20-12-2014, 09:24 AM
Good one wilisno haha

Is "forum runner" an app or is it accessed from an internet browser?
An app, much faster with fewer functions.

Midnight_Prowl
20-12-2014, 11:26 AM
Easiest solution.....

Always let ur mrs hv a new phone!!!!

harmony
20-12-2014, 11:55 AM
How would Ahlungor explain AUS99 app on his phone ? Factory reset is the only solution

xtsy
20-12-2014, 01:51 PM
Hi there,

I am thinking of upgrading my current iPhone 4 to iPhone 6 - I like a bigger screen as my eye sight is not what they used to be.............lol

But I have some concerns, as my Mrs was telling me that if I get a new phone, she likes to get my old one !!

So for all you iPhone experts out there, please help:

And if you guys can think of any other risks which may expose - you know what !! - please advise so that I don't hand over all the evidence to the wife !!

Thank you brothers

Cheers

Got to settings >> then safari>>>then click clear cookies and data, repeat for clear history. Do both.

you should be fine. all you history and data will be deleted.

to delete the numbers go to contact> select the number you wish to delete, then scroll all the way to bottom , there is something called delete contact.

ouch
20-12-2014, 03:23 PM
sounds like u need a galaxy note 4 end of problem, break other phone :P

gggi
21-12-2014, 09:18 AM
Yeah, better safe than sorry. My wife just caught me out because of stupid phone issues, and now I'm looking at some very bad outcomes. You don't want to hurt your wife like that.

harmony
21-12-2014, 09:40 AM
Sorry to hear gggi. Any further information you can give regarding the situation to help others ?

gggi
21-12-2014, 09:50 AM
I was very careful not to leave any incriminating traces, but got lazy and started using a dedicated app to message my lover to avoid all the hassle. But I forgot to turn off the notifications when I left my phone unattended!

harmony
21-12-2014, 02:45 PM
Sorry to hear gggi. I was pretty ignorant about phones in the past, and my very basic phone didnt have a password to protect the owner

My phone has a password now, so noone can access anything, and the phone lock screen wont reveal to everyone any notifications, like missed calls etc

Didnt your phone have a general password? How do people access your notifications ?

gggi
21-12-2014, 03:38 PM
The notifications showed on the lock screen. D'oh.

harmony
21-12-2014, 03:40 PM
Thats a stupid design fault of the phone isnt it. Means that any private calls you missed get projected on the home lock screen. Totally idiotic
Sometimes its just easier to sleep with your phone in your sock, if you are with your lady haha

pantydroppa
21-12-2014, 04:00 PM
yeah, better safe than sorry. My wife just caught me out because of stupid phone issues, and now i'm looking at some very bad outcomes. You don't want to hurt your wife like that.

amateur!!!

cleetusvandamme
21-12-2014, 04:33 PM
"When a consumer wants to change their phone or just wants to give their phone to someone else, the best thing to do is at least restore it back to factory settings a minimum of about five times."

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/consumer-security/the-machine-that-can-crack-almost-any-phone-20141219-129xib.html

wilisno
21-12-2014, 05:19 PM
The notifications showed on the lock screen. D'oh.
It's up to you to set notification on or off !

gggi
21-12-2014, 06:17 PM
Yep, I fucked up big time!

wilisno
21-12-2014, 06:32 PM
Yep, I fucked up big time!
Good luck bro !

xyj.1209
21-12-2014, 10:05 PM
just restore

AHLUNGOR
21-12-2014, 11:36 PM
Just press factory Reset

Then add 9368 7788.... Paradise :love:

ps.... just joking Tailo Lung

You're not wrong there 5 Star brother. I do have your shop number in my phone, it's stored under St Mary Cathedral !

wilisno
21-12-2014, 11:42 PM
You're not wrong there 5 Star brother. I do have your shop number in my phone, it's stored under St Mary Cathedral !

What if your wife calls Sam and say : " Father, I have sin ! " :miao: