PDA

View Full Version : General talk Chinese new year.

Fisher
05-01-2015, 05:12 PM
I have two quick questions.
First one is when is chinese new year?
And the second one is are there any traditional gifts that are given for chinese new year?

wilisno
05-01-2015, 05:28 PM
I have two quick questions.
First one is when is chinese new year?
And the second one is are there any traditional gifts that are given for chinese new year?
It falls on the 19th of February this year. There are lots of traditional gifts, the most popular one is the Red Envelope ... with lucky money ! ;) ;) ;)

rooter
05-01-2015, 05:52 PM
It falls on the 19th of February this year. There are lots of traditional gifts, the most popular one is the Red Envelope ... with lucky money ! ;) ;) ;)

You can't go wrong with a red envelope full of the green stuff.
A Chinese guy at work told me you only give red envelopes full of money to kids.
That was news to me. I never heard a Chinese lady complain about getting a red envelope full of $$$$ ;)

Fisher
05-01-2015, 06:18 PM
Thanks guys for the info.
For a gift i was after something for someone you are starting to date.
I should of clarified this in my first post.

vvillie
05-01-2015, 06:53 PM
I have never gotten a SO a Chinese new year gift - i don't think it is common to get them anything. It is really more of a holiday for children, and an excuse for the adults to get drunk.

But if you're a baller and set on getting her something, maybe one of those golden good luck charms or statues that are typically displayed in Asian households, or something along the lines of the 'lucky' theme. The holiday is about changing your fortunes and Asian women are quite superstitious. :grimace:

wilisno
05-01-2015, 07:03 PM
You can't go wrong with a red envelope full of the green stuff.
A Chinese guy at work told me you only give red envelopes full of money to kids.
That was news to me. I never heard a Chinese lady complain about getting a red envelope full of $$$$ ;)
Red Envelopes symbolize good luck, not limited to giving to kids. Like going to a wedding, we give Red Envelope with money to the newly weds instead of those useless gifts that they might never use or that won't fit their decor !

But in the New Year, usually it's the seniors who give it to the juniors whether the junior is a kid or not ... such as a boss to his staffs.

rooter
05-01-2015, 07:36 PM
Red Envelopes symbolize good luck, not limited to giving to kids. Like going to a wedding, we give Red Envelope with money to the newly weds instead of those useless gifts that they might never use or that won't fit their decor !

But in the New Year, usually it's the seniors who give it to the juniors whether the junior is a kid or not ... such as a boss to his staffs.

Thanks for the clarification bro.

kezza
05-01-2015, 08:00 PM
How about a waving cat?

wilisno
05-01-2015, 08:04 PM
How about a waving cat?
That's the money cat, it symbolizes prosperity, usually as a gift to a newly opened business, making lots of money ! ;) ;) ;)

Fisher
05-01-2015, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.
Some more options to consider.