PDA

View Full Version : General talk Undercover sex spy sacked for protecting illegal worker - SMH

The Fonz
01-02-2015, 01:20 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/undercover-sex-spy-sacked-for-protecting-illegal-worker-20150131-1313j6.html
Undercover sex spy sacked for protecting illegal worker
"I'm not as young as I used to be": A middle-aged private investigator hired to gather evidence against illegal brothels.

A private investigator who gets paid by councils to have undercover sex inside illegal brothels has been fired after withholding information about a prostitute whom he met on a job.

Over the past four years, Fred Allen* has received tens of thousands of dollars from at least 10 Sydney metropolitan councils in exchange for evidence that is required, in court, to help close underground parlours.

But in October the investigator was accused, by Sydney-based consultancy firm Brothel Busters, of having "deliberately omitted" important details from a brief of evidence to "protect" an illegal sex worker, with whom he had become "enchanted", while working covertly inside an underground vice den.

In the lead-up to the 2011 state election, the O'Farrell government vowed to introduce a "new licensing authority" – as an "early priority" – to oversee an industry spiralling out of control. But four years on – and eight weeks out from the next state election – there is still no sign of any remedy to the crisis.

The Sun-Herald previously identified at least 34 illegal premises operating within a five-kilometre radius on the north shore. Today, the last line of defence available to councils is a handful of middle-aged, male private investigators who pose as everyday clients and have undercover sex – at the ratepayer's expense.

Keith Rhoades, president of Local Government NSW, said the government's broken promise had forced Sydney councils to "pick up the bill".

"Quite clearly the current system is not working ... it's time the state government introduced tougher legislation that eliminated the need for councils to engage private investigators."

In September last year, Mr Allen, a 60-year-old former taxi driver who has been commissioned to sleep with more than 60 prostitutes, said he was finding it difficult to keep up. "The jobs flow in, on average, once every three weeks. If it spreads out that way, it's perfect," he said.

"But there are occasions when they all arrive at once. For instance, I was given three jobs to complete, for the same council, in the same week ... and I'm not as young as I used to be."

In a letter dated October 23, Brothel Busters head Chris Seage wrote to Mr Allen, and warned: "It is my view you may have breached the code of ethics for private investigators in Australia.

"Let me be clear on this; I hold very seriously the withholding of information from your reports. You said yesterday the sex worker, Sophie, provided you with her phone number so you could contact her outside the establishment to have sex with. You said … you wouldn't mind taking her up on that. Further, you said you didn't want to get her in trouble ... you withheld this information to protect the sex worker who you took a liking to."

Wishing to forward the report onto the Department of Immigration, Mr Seage ordered the investigator to refile his report, adding: "You must agree to be 100 per cent honest." But Mr Allen refused to return phone calls or emails.

When approached for comment, Mr Allen said the girl, Sophie, did hand him her private details so they could meet away from the brothel, but denied seeing her again.

"I did not provide the phone number as I was not aware of who else was involved in having access to this report and was concerned for the safety of both her and myself."

Mr Seage, however, confirms that Mr Allen was hired to make two undercover visits to the premises that week and in his first report, "willingly provided" the private contact details of another illegal sex worker, Amy, with whom he had "engaged" onsite.

NSW Special Minister of State Anthony Roberts said the government was continuing to monitor "this very complex issue".

Christmas
01-02-2015, 02:50 PM
Haha it reminds me something.. there was a customer who asked a lots of questions to rockdale mgmt. and there's a girl who wants to work in rockdale..
He and she tried to find out about rockdale girls, services, etc,.

But we all had already knew that he/she is not the customer/working girl... They are another shop's mgmt and we just laughed a lot.;;

Undercover kind of;;;

Licker
01-02-2015, 04:42 PM
First off, thanks to The Fonz for copy pasting this article here, saved me the trouble of opening the website of the yellow paper in question.

"deliberately omitted" important details from a brief of evidence to "protect" an illegal sex worker, with whom he had become "enchanted", while working covertly inside an underground vice den.

"an illegal sex worker"?
As far as I know sex work is legal in NSW.
If the encounter was to happen in a private setting, there is nothing illegal about it.
Whether she works in an establishment that does not have a development approval to operate as a brothel, is another matter.
Then again, in the modern day "journalism", the accuracy of the details and sticking to factual information, does not seem to be valued too highly.

In the lead-up to the 2011 state election, the O'Farrell government vowed to introduce a "new licensing authority" – as an "early priority" – to oversee an industry spiralling out of control. But four years on – and eight weeks out from the next state election – there is still no sign of any remedy to the crisis.

"remedy to the crisis"?
Four years on... can you really call this a crisis?

Wishing to forward the report onto the Department of Immigration, Mr Seage ordered the investigator to refile his report

Now, based on the information in the article, I wonder, what does the Department of Immigration has to do with this case?

CunningLinguist
01-02-2015, 06:27 PM
Are the private investigators on the forurm ...
Anyone want to be a double agent :)

aussiegaigin
01-02-2015, 06:41 PM
I read that this morning

"Brothel Buster busted" might have been a good headline?

Immigration Department? maybe he thought she was an "illegal worker" because she didn't have, or was violating, her work visa? That is the only interest they would have.

Licker
01-02-2015, 06:47 PM
I read that this morning

"Brothel Buster busted" might have been a good headline?

Immigration Department? maybe he thought she was an "illegal worker" because she didn't have, or was violating, her work visa? That is the only interest they would have.

Brothel Buster busted, I like that!

Yes, a visa violation would be the only interest Immigration Department would have.
Then again, regardless whether she was working as a sex worker or washing dishes in a restaurant, it would be the same thing.

Licker
02-02-2015, 07:57 AM
Based on the information in the article only it should have been...

A private investigator has been wrongfully fired after not disclosing information (a private phone nubmer) about a [legal] prostitute.

Sound like a case for the Fair Work Ombudsman.

x11
02-02-2015, 10:06 AM
Haha it reminds me something.. there was a customer who asked a lots of questions to rockdale mgmt. and there's a girl who wants to work in rockdale..
He and she tried to find out about rockdale girls, services, etc,.

But we all had already knew that he/she is not the customer/working girl... They are another shop's mgmt and we just laughed a lot.;;

Undercover kind of;;;

hope your not confusing my documented enquiries to uncle jack on this forum to be a copywriter are you? lol

harmsup_jai
02-02-2015, 10:49 AM
First off, thanks to The Fonz for copy pasting this article here, saved me the trouble of opening the website of the yellow paper in question.

"an illegal sex worker"?
As far as I know sex work is legal in NSW.
If the encounter was to happen in a private setting, there is nothing illegal about it.
Whether she works in an establishment that does not have a development approval to operate as a brothel, is another matter.
Then again, in the modern day "journalism", the accuracy of the details and sticking to factual information, does not seem to be valued too highly.

"remedy to the crisis"?
Four years on... can you really call this a crisis?

Now, based on the information in the article, I wonder, what does the Department of Immigration has to do with this case?

Sex work is legal in Australia if in a legally registered premise/facility and the person working is legally allowed to work in Australia and pay their taxes.

Some people come here under a Holiday or studying VISA but actually come to work in brothels or do private services hence they are considered illegal sex workers.

This is the reason why it has something to do with the Department of Immigration.

aussiegaigin
02-02-2015, 01:43 PM
Sex work is legal in Australia if in a legally registered premise/facility and the person working is legally allowed to work in Australia and pay their taxes.

Some people come here under a Holiday or studying VISA but actually come to work in brothels or do private services hence they are considered illegal sex workers.

This is the reason why it has something to do with the Department of Immigration.

This applies to any work, not just the sex industry. It was quite rife in tourism sectors a few years ago.

Licker
02-02-2015, 10:03 PM

The legislation on sex work differs in different states. There is no requirement in NSW for the person to work in a registered premise/facility.
And in NSW there is no registering of brothels, like for example in Victoria and Queensland.
In NSW there is only a development approval for a premise (=building, not a business) to operate a brothel in that location.
There is no registration of individual sex workers in NSW (like some other states). As private workers they are free to work as sex workers as they please.

If you think I am wrong, then please check the legislation, and post here your findings :)

And everyone, regardless of occupation, is only allowed to work in Australia if they are citizens, permanent residents or have a visa that allows them to work.

Anyone working when not having a visa that allows them to work would be considered braking their visa restrictions, regardless where they work or what work they do. There is no need to confuse people by associating this to sex workers only.

FYI: Check your terminology. I assume by Holiday visa you mean people on Visitor visa (the main purpose of which is holiday, visiting friends or family, etc.), though at times depending on circumstances it also allows work (most often related to work where the payment is received outside of Australia, or in some cases in the field of culture, arts, science, etc. for a short period of time). You are right though that this visa very seldom (if ever) allows sex work.

If we are talking about working holiday visas (like for example in the case of Korean or most European nationals), that visa does allow people to work in Australia, and sex work is in no way excluded.

Study visas, unlike you suggest, do allow the visa holders to work in Australia and there is no restriction of what the occupation can be. Remember, sex work is legal :)
There is however a limitation of how much one can work (20 hours per week during school period, outside school period unlimited).

Yes, I am well aware, why Chris Seage, the paid servant of some legal brothels, former (whatever went wrong there) ATO officer, and the owner of the business of hunting down those premises, that do not have a council development approval to operate as a brothel (some may, some may not) is so hung up on this matter that he wants to be the one exposing all sex workers that have broken any rule.
Why is he not interested in exposing illegal restaurant workers or construction workers? There is no money in it for him, that's why.

I'm not sure why he wants to change the law though to have a similar licensing authority in NSW as in some other states?
That would mean that he would loose most of the revenue of his business. Maybe he's not that smart after all?

However, I have said it before, and I will say it again. The legislation does need a review, but towards a more open and fair system, not as restrictive like Mr Seage and some others want.
I do not want to write all of that again. If you are interested, you can read it here: http://forum.aus99.com/showthread.php?44705-Council-Corruption&p=555506&viewfull=1#post555506

SMH on the other hand just writes about these on a slow news days and because sex always sells papers, no matter how empty the article is.