PDA

View Full Version : General talk Are there any brothers actually following the ICC Cricket World Cup ??

AHLUNGOR
27-02-2015, 02:58 PM
It's getting very boring when the baggy hasn't played for two weeks !!!

And why aren't Channel 9 broadcasting some of the big matches like India vs Pakistan and India vs South Africa and when New Zealand trashed England !!

:question::question::question:

Raybo
27-02-2015, 05:26 PM
I have been watching games here and there on Fox. Going through the motions at the moment, but it will be exciting when the finals come around. Love seeing the underdogs having a red hot go. Afghanistan won their first world cup game ever and the Irish beating the Windies have been highlights!

docevil
27-02-2015, 05:28 PM
I am following it, probably not as much as the threads in aus99 :-)

You just need subscription to foxtel or espn

GO Aussies this weekend!!!

AHLUNGOR
27-02-2015, 06:16 PM
Chris Gayle got a double century the other day and he took 2 wickets in one over today!

But AB de Villiers put on a 165 no with a massive total of 5 for 408 !

That's ridiculous !

Will we see another Chris Gayle magic moment in the run chase??

And it's bloody not on TV !

dohdoe
27-02-2015, 07:13 PM
Ch9 and fox made a deal so that Fox can essentially broadcast the tournament with ch9 buying just the minimum amount of games so that it passes the tv anti siphoning laws.

Kinda stupid of cricket Australia to not do something about it. Would have done a lot for the sport.

seeder
27-02-2015, 07:47 PM
ABD V, i am proud to this south African batsman...he is unbelievable..

Oneonone
27-02-2015, 09:38 PM
The only games that are on free to air tv (Channel 9) are the games Australia are playing in all the others are on fox sport.

At this stage Australia have only played one game there second game was washed out.

I think if the games had been on free to air there would be more interest in the series and I may even have gone to watch tonights game at the cricket ground West Indies vs South Africa.

But at this stage am finding it hard to get interested.

Mark Roberts
27-02-2015, 10:32 PM
The only games that are on free to air tv (Channel 9) are the games Australia are playing in all the others are on fox sport.

At this stage Australia have only played one game there second game was washed out.

I think if the games had been on free to air there would be more interest in the series and I may even have gone to watch tonights game at the cricket ground West Indies vs South Africa.

But at this stage am finding it hard to get interested.

Should be a good game tomorrow. My punt is NZ to win in front of 65,000 crazy NZ fans. Then, I'll be looking forward to some Super 15 games. Cricket over lapping Rugby makes less time for punting but does save the money flow from the back pocket. Not sure if I'm the winner though?

donkeykong
27-02-2015, 10:34 PM
I can't remember the last time I paid attention to the ICC world cup, but I don't remember games being that far apart from each other. Maybe I'm not paying attention

pussymagnet
27-02-2015, 10:46 PM

Oneonone
28-02-2015, 07:49 AM
I see the cricket is on free to air at 11:00Am means it probably starts about 11:30 almost time for a punt first then come home and watch the cricket!

Another Saturday wasted well may be not should be a good game NZ have been going really well. Australia to win for me. Hope they drop Watson and not Bailey to make way for Clarke.

harmony
28-02-2015, 09:07 AM
I missed Australias first game, but some of the batting in this ICC tournament sounds like 'must watch television'

I am looking forward to watching Australia bat today - so many points of interest
1. Will Michael Clarke return successfully from his surgery as Captain
2. Will Shane Watson finally repay the faith shown in him by selectors
3. Will Glenn Maxwell (the Big Show) amaze us once again with his repertoire of batting strokes/shots
4. Will our bowlers totally carve up the Kiwis
5. Will the 2 week break actually work in Australia's favour, making them refreshed, or will they have lost momentum

Lets hope the Aussies can continue the sporting success in 2015
The Socceroos victory in the Asian Cup gave us such a good start to the year

Maybe Australia vs India in the ICC World Cup final ?

Oh, and Ahlungor, the "baggy" ie the "baggy green cap" is worn by the Australian Test cricket team, not the One Day team
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baggy_green

Cheers to all !

rooter
28-02-2015, 09:24 AM
It will be an anti climax.
Aussies will thrash kiwis by 100 + runs or 6 wickets.

AHLUNGOR
28-02-2015, 10:46 AM
I hope Aaron Finch and Warner will do well at the top of the order!

Finch had a great start but since then lots of batsmen had posted huge scores like ABDV and Gayle and the Indian guy!

I put some money on the Aust openers to be top scorers in the tournament and they wash out the match last week which both of them could have made a ton ! So unfair !

Go Finchy, go Warner, go Aussie !!

harmony
28-02-2015, 11:02 AM
Yes, I think it is very unfair they cant reschedule that game
Means that all players in cancelled games cant feature in the highest runs scored, most wickets taken statistics at the end of the Tournament

AHLUNGOR
28-02-2015, 11:24 AM
Oh, and Ahlungor, the "baggy" ie the "baggy green cap" is worn by the Australian Test cricket team, not the One Day team
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baggy_green

Cheers to all !

Hey Buddy,

I know what a Baggy Green is, and may I ask you this question, is there any player from the 15 men squad of the Australia One Day Team who hasn't got a Baggy Green Cap ??

AHLUNGOR
28-02-2015, 12:01 PM
Fuck !

Finch just got bowed on the third over !

Now Watson is on !

Oneonone
28-02-2015, 12:05 PM
Yes looks like an interesting game with Watson likely to get out before we get to 50 and the form of Clarke an unknown if we loose Warner we could be in a lot of trouble.

I think all the Australian squad have played test cricket and hence have a baggy green.

harmony
28-02-2015, 12:06 PM
Good question bro, and quite easy to answer

For starters, Aaron Finch has never played Test Cricket for Australia
I havent researched the other current ICC One Day International Australian players

Aaron Finch has never worn a "baggy green cap"

rooter
28-02-2015, 12:11 PM
Fuck !

Finch just got bowed on the third over !

Now Watson is on !

Not a problem.
Australia bats all the way to no. 10.

AHLUNGOR
28-02-2015, 12:14 PM
Good question bro, and quite easy to answer

For starters, Aaron Finch has never played Test Cricket for Australia
I havent researched the other current ICC One Day International Australian players

Aaron Finch has never worn a "baggy green cap"

Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't know that !

So I was wrong then !

Yeah, so go the Aussie One Day Team

Cheers

harmony
28-02-2015, 12:15 PM
Nah bro, its all good. Just a friendly debate, nothing more !

And I agree with rooter
Its rare for Australia to have all three of the first 3 batsmen scoring big totals in the one game

Happy to be proven wrong when Warner and Finch and Watson all score hundreds in the one game, but dont hold your breath

Oneonone
28-02-2015, 12:35 PM
Well we have got to 70 and only lost one wicket but we are struggling to score against spin at the moment.

Oneonone
28-02-2015, 12:46 PM
Watson out for 23 and now Warner in trouble leg before, yes he is out two in a row thanks for nothing Watson.

rooter
28-02-2015, 02:30 PM
It will be an anti climax.
Aussies will thrash kiwis by 100 + runs or 6 wickets.

My prediction is looking good.
Now all we have to do is bowl the kiwis out for 50 ;)

Oneonone
28-02-2015, 03:10 PM
Good work Kiwis well done.

Its not Australian Cricket that's over rated just Watson, and Marsh never do anything when it counts, and Clarke should not have come back in for such a tough match without playing a game or two first.

We need to pick the right team and not just leave it to a few to do all the hard work when the going gets tough.

Take nothing away from the Kiwi's they were always going to be hard to beat.

harmony
28-02-2015, 04:00 PM
Haha rooter, good followup reply to your 'prediction'. Humble pie indeed. And egg possibly on part of your body ?

Its ok, Im supporting Australia too

When I read your original post, I thought it was a bit brave. New Zealand have been tagged as one of the favourites for the World Cup, although as we all know early form can count for nothing once Crickets heavyweight countries really get serious

And we all know that Australia beats New Zealand in all sports, when it really counts (tongue only partly in cheek)

I was looking forward to seeing if the Kiwis were being overrated as so called 'favourites'

All we know now is that the Australians have a lot to prove for the remainder of the Tournament

I would like to blame the missed game against Bangladesh as the reason for the poor Australian batsmens efforts, but that is giving the Australian batsmen way too much credit

Having said that, it seems unfair that some teams seem to play every 4-5 days, and other teams are waiting weeks to play
If a game is washed out by rain, they have to have a better plan than just having teams missing out on a Tournament game

harmony
28-02-2015, 04:03 PM
This post is about Shane Watson

Before the tournament started, Watson made announcements on TV and radio that he would donate a dollar for every run or wicket he scored in the World Cup, to the Motor Neurone research foundation

Dont get me wrong, it is a great charity he supports

But I thought Watson was being a little presumptious with this announcement - it implied he will play for the entire tournament

Oneonone
28-02-2015, 04:10 PM
Don't disagree with you Harmony but if we are going to be a force in this or any competition we need to be able to over come these difficulties.

if we haven't batted for two weeks then we need to play ourselves in take an over or two look how many batsmen got out in the first or second over they faced and in most cases trying to play the big shot.

If we had got 200 in this game instead of going for 350 plus we would be in a good position what is the coach doing he should be telling the players this is a slow pitch lets reset our aim or goal and get something that is competitive.

If NZ loose this one it will be their own fault as they are in a winning position and deserve to win.

Hope Australia learns a lesson from this poor performance.

rooter
28-02-2015, 04:12 PM
It's not over until the fat lady sings.
But will it be Dame Kiri or Dame Joan?

harmony
28-02-2015, 04:16 PM
I have been out all day, so missed the Aussie batting performance, or should I say, batting schmozzle

Now I am back home, I will watch the rest of the match and see how things go

Rooter, you better not have put the mocker on Australia hehe

Oneonone
28-02-2015, 04:29 PM
Dame Kiri is warming up it wont be long before we are put out of our misery.

harmony
28-02-2015, 04:31 PM
I reckon Rooter can redeem himself by taking Shane Watsons place at no 3

I dont know what your batting skills are like, but they would have to be better than the current no 3

Please, put us all out of our misery and get Watson replaced

Hunger
28-02-2015, 04:45 PM
black cats all over the aussi kangaroo :fire::fire::fire:

Oneonone
28-02-2015, 04:46 PM
I reckon Rooter can redeem himself by taking Shane Watsons place at no 3

I dont know what your batting skills are like, but they would have to be better than the current no 3

Please, put us all out of our misery and get him replaced

Could not agree more and they are saying replace Marsh with Faulkner yes is all I can say would be about time.

croney
28-02-2015, 08:50 PM
Rooted..........

AHLUNGOR
04-03-2015, 06:28 PM
It's great to see they finally drop Watson and keep Marsh !

Disappointed to see Finchy out so early , I have a few bets on him being the top tournament batsman ! It's gonna be much harder now !

Warner and Smithy both got a start, c'mon boys, lets make some runs and both make a century ok !

Go Aussie !!

harmony
04-03-2015, 06:59 PM
Bro Ahlungor, I wouldnt bet anything til we hear who rooter is backing

Rooter, what is your tip for Australia vs Afghanistan ? Please say Afghanistan

Joking

harmony
04-03-2015, 07:22 PM
Looks like selectors have replaced Shane Watson in the Australian cricket team

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/cricket-world-cup-shane-watson-pays-price-as-aussies-put-trust-in-mitchell-marsh/story-fnqpo3wn-1227248170067

Hope the Australians can sort out a stable batting lineup

harmony
20-03-2015, 12:06 PM
Today Australia faces a knockout/elmination match, against Pakistan
Pakistan have lost one of their main strike bowlers, but they did beat South Africa in this tournament
Truly unpredictable team

Some possible highlights for me ?

I want to see both Warner and Finch each get 50 at least. We havent seen a great Australian opening partnership, since Game 1 against England
I want to see another great batting masterclass from Glenn Maxwell
And I want to see a high scoring game, with the result decided in the last over

I dont ask for much do I ?

Actually one day I would like to afford a wide screen television, and a few bargirls, to serve drinks and food (including during drinks breaks) during a World Cup cricket game
With a few of my AUS99 friends
But a man can't have everything

May the best team win
And may Bro Ahl win at least one of his bets !

http://vulveetparachute.tumblr.com/image/14997919304

Cheers to all !

AHLUNGOR
20-03-2015, 01:45 PM
Today Australia faces a knockout/elmination match, against Pakistan
Pakistan have lost one of their main strike bowlers, but they did beat South Africa in this tournament
Truly unpredictable team

Some possible highlights for me ?

I want to see both Warner and Finch each get 50 at least. We havent seen a great Australian opening partnership, since Game 1 against England
I want to see another great batting masterclass from Glenn Maxwell
And I want to see a high scoring game, with the result decided in the last over

I dont ask for much do I ?

Actually one day I would like to afford a wide screen television, and a few bargirls, to serve me drinks and snacks during a World Cup cricket game
With a few of my AUS99 friends
But a man can't have everything

May the best team win

The Australian Team should win this match and book ourselves a Semi Final against the Indian at the SCG on 26 March !

For the record, Australia has won all (may be 90% ??) of their ODI matches when the opening partnership is 50+

This is a toss we have to win and bat first in Adelaide and make 400 ! If Pakistan bat first, we should bowl them out inside 200 with Starc and Johnson taking a Fiver each !!

Now back to the batting, I don't mind if Finch and Warner have a quick fire 50 in the first 6 overs, then Steve Smith and Michael Clarke can come in and form a 200 runs partner. Maxwell can join in at the 30th - 35th over and make anther quick century !!

Yeap, that is not asking for too much right !!

Go Aussie !!

:shout:

harmony
20-03-2015, 02:01 PM
Pakistan have won the toss and are batting first
I truly hope they put in a solid batting effort, so the Australian batsmen have a good score to chase

AHLUNGOR
20-03-2015, 02:15 PM
Well, we lost the toss so 400 is not in play!

But I do hope Pakistan can bat out the 50 overs, so that I can go home and watch Australian bat !

AHLUNGOR
20-03-2015, 02:24 PM
And I still don't understand why Mitchell Johnson is not given the new ball and bowl on the other end with Starc !!

AHLUNGOR
20-03-2015, 02:35 PM
Starc drew first blood, great catch at first slip by Watson ! Starc now has 17 wickets !

AHLUNGOR
20-03-2015, 02:40 PM
Now Clarkey took a catch at second slip !

Two down !

rooter
20-03-2015, 09:03 PM
Maxwell is a freak!
Love his attitude!

harmony
22-03-2015, 12:04 AM
Australia wins, with 6 wickets to spare, and collected the runs within 34 overs
Shane "second chance" Watson scored an unbeaten 64, although was dropped early, when on 4 !!
Steve "baby face" Smith scored a classy 65, before being LBW
Glenn "big show" Maxwell, again showed his freakish ability, with an unbeaten 44 from 29 balls.

One of the principles of a Cricket World Cup now seems to be - if you drop a few catches, the World Cup can also drop from your grasp

Australia now faces an in form Indian side. The recent one day game results between the two countries suggest Australia are favourites

However, the Australian batting lineup is far from impressive in the World Cup to date, and neither opening batsman has scored well after the first match
Maxwell and Smith have scored impressive centuries further on in this tournament, but the other batsmen still await big scores

Can the Aussies build up the momentum, and really hit some form in the next few games ? Their bowlers and top class fielding have kept them in the hunt.

Or can a batting collapse undo all the good work, now that things are getting serious

So far New Zealand look the goods, but anything is possible

harmony
22-03-2015, 12:11 AM
New Zealand opener Martin Guptill scored a cricket World Cup batsmans record of 237 in the elimination clash of New Zealand vs West Indies
Guptill's double ton, beat Chris Gayle's World Cup record of 215 set against Zimbabwe, in this current 2015 World Cup tournament.

I cant see an Australian batsman similarly mix skill, power and patience to also score a big 100, or a 200 in this tournament

The Wellington New Zealand pitch rewarded patient batting of the Kiwis
In contrast, the West Indians batsmen failed because they tried to blast every delivery
Their run rate was enough to be competitive, but the current and frequent loss of wickets proved their undoing

Once again the West Indians showed that brute strength and athleticism is no match for a carefully constructed batting innings
This Caribbean team have all the natural ability and athleticism, but not the consistency, to match the flair

David Warner, now is your time to show us how good you can be. Lets show the Kiwis we can match them in batting prowess

hoofgan
23-03-2015, 04:57 PM
I have been pleasantly surprised by Maxwells coming of age so to speak. I was one of his harshest critics but have been very happy to eat my words this world cup! Bring on India on Thursday!

AHLUNGOR
23-03-2015, 06:09 PM
I have placed a few bets in the ICC World Cup :

If Australia won the Cup, I'll win !

If Warner, Maxwell or Smith top score in the tournament I win !

If Starc takes the most wickets, I'll win !

harmony
23-03-2015, 06:39 PM
Brother, some very good bets in there !

Australia have a very good record against India since the Summer of 2014-15

Of course India can argue that they have improved markedly since that time, and are now ready to turn the tables

I disagree, and expect the Australians to remind India of who is boss

Less likely, but with equal expectation, I rely on Australia to eventually show little cousin New Zealand who is boss

I read some odds that say Australia is favourite for this World Cup, but there is enough doubt there to make a bet a worthwhile endeavour !

Put it this way, if Australia thrash India, then the money will really start to flow for the Green and Gold

All the best to the four teams still left in the Tournament

What a week of cricket to come !!

harmony
23-03-2015, 06:42 PM

Bro Ahl, help me with this photo (I want it full screen in a post, without the weblink)

harmony
25-03-2015, 08:21 PM
Australia face India in the penultimate game of the World Cup tomorrow night
Can openers David Warner and Aaron Finch find their form, and can Mitchell Johnson also come out of hiding, to accentuate Australia's chances ?

Glenn Maxwell, Shane Watson and Mitchell Starc are in great form, lets hope the others can build some momentum at these crucial stages

C'mon guys, we cant let New Zealand think they have ownership of the World Cup, in their first World Cup final !
Im hoping its like Rugby League NRL Grand finals - "You have to lose one, before you win one"

AHLUNGOR
26-03-2015, 08:40 AM
Brother, some very good bets in there !

If South Africa hadn't dropped so many catches or just made one of those missed run out ! A few more bets would have been still alive !

And these five bets look particular good if the Kiwis are out :

Sangakarra top run score for the tournament

AB d V top run scorer for the tournament

ABdV top run and Aust win double

ABdV top run and South Africa win double

Mitchell Starc top wicket taker (he is now 3 behind Boult !)

Well, now all I want is for Australia to win the Cup, that would cover for all the losing bets and earn me a few free sessions !

Go the Aussie !

AHLUNGOR
26-03-2015, 08:46 AM
Australia face India in the penultimate game of the World Cup tomorrow night
Can openers David Warner and Aaron Finch find their form, and can Mitchell Johnson also come out of hiding, to accentuate Australia's chances ?

Glenn Maxwell, Shane Watson and Mitchell Starc are in great form, lets hope the others can build some momentum at these crucial stages

C'mon guys, we cant let New Zealand think they have ownership of the World Cup, in their first World Cup final !
Im hoping its like Rugby League NRL Grand finals - "You have to lose one, before you win one"

You missed mentioning Steve Smith there, he is the best batsman for Australia all Summer and his bat has punished the Indians so many times!

and don't forget the finest moment in Michael Clarke's career: declaring at the SCG on 300+ not out against the Indians

Love to see a 200+ partnership with Clarke and Smith today !

Go Aussie !!

AHLUNGOR
26-03-2015, 09:27 AM

Bro Ahl, help me with this photo (I want it full screen in a post, without the weblink)

As you wish !!

http://forum.aus99.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20849&d=1426820846

harmony
26-03-2015, 12:12 PM
Thanks Bro Ahl !
May you win at least one of your bets

Wow, very classy ladies, classy lingerie, and a classy afternoon
Now I have someone to help me during the drinks breaks - funny, they both look like identical twins of Miranda Kerr !
Or am I just seeing double ?
Maybe I have been staring at the RnT thread for too long

Anyway, Im sure they have had excellent training regarding customer service
Crown lager anyone ?
Drop by AUS99 after work, or during your break
The alcohol is on me today

Cheers !

AHLUNGOR
26-03-2015, 02:35 PM
Damn, Warners gone for 12 !

AHLUNGOR
26-03-2015, 04:48 PM
Steve Smith has a Century and big partnership with Finch !

Now Maxwell is in , watch out !

AHLUNGOR
26-03-2015, 04:55 PM
Damn, just jinx him !

AHLUNGOR
26-03-2015, 06:25 PM
So, 300 runs is new territory in World Cup Semi Final history !

If India can chase down 328, they deserve to be in the final !

With the way Johnson had batted, I have a good feeling about the Aussie boys! The two Mitch are going to bowl us into the Final!

Go Aussie !

harmony
26-03-2015, 06:45 PM
328 is a great score
At one point, Australia looked like scoring closer to 400
But India managed to keep the run rate down, by great spin bowling

Australia does not have the quality spin bowlers in their bowling line up, and actually chose not to play a specialist spinner today

The SCG pitch is flat and true, and the Indian batsmen must be pretty confident

Like most one day games, this semi final could go either way

Mitchell Starc needs to continue his great form and strike early and often, for Australia to win

Ahl, you have a fighting chance with your bet on Australia. Lets go !

AHLUNGOR
26-03-2015, 10:38 PM
Great win by the Aussie beating India by 95 runs !

Pity Starc only took 2 wickets, now still one behind Boult!

But Steve Smith top score and a win double, I'm very happy man !

Go the Aussie, let's show the Kiwis whoes ODI world number 1 !!

Oneonone
26-03-2015, 10:41 PM
Great knock by Smith how much has improved over the last couple of years!

Another good win.

Lets hope we cant play as badly against the Kwi's as we did last time we played them and a win is on the cards

Go Aussie Go!

harmony
26-03-2015, 11:29 PM
In terms of the World Cup Final, on paper, Australia just have too much batting and bowling talent depth

Batting: Smith (eats Indian bowlers for breakfast), Finch (hit an unimpressive but solid 80 today), Watson (finally found form, and at the business end of the tournament), Maxwell (can hit a quick 30 that can take the game away from the opposition totally, and takes wickets as a bowler also !), even Mitchell Johnson (also can take a game away from the opposition)

Bowling: Starc (best bowler in tournament), Johnston (terrifyingly fast, intimidating, and now getting wickets), Hazelhood (the new Glenn McGrath)

Fielding: You need to see Glenn Maxwell's run out in this game vs India, from 40metres, with just one stump to aim at. High skill level.

Australia has a very experienced and successful captain in Michael Clarke, and really no weak player

The other issue is whether New Zealand can perform under the ULTIMATE pressure, their first Grand Final in World Cup Cricket
Can you believe, the Grand Final is their first match outside New Zealand in this tournament ! Why?

If I was a gambling man, I would suggest "Put your money on Australia boys"
But I have never gambled in my life, and dont encourage the hobby

Im not biased, and I always say either team can win on the day, its whichever team has the best performers under pressure that day

But I am biased when I say, GO AUSSIES, WE WANT A FIFTH WORLD CUP !!!!
FOUR WORLD CUP WINS (1987, 1999, 2003, 2007), WE ARE ALREADY VERY PROUD !!!

Good luck to both countries, both hosts, a great way to end the Tournament

Cheers !

AHLUNGOR
27-03-2015, 08:59 AM
When the Aussie trash the Kiwis on Sunday at the G, we woiuld have beaten the two previously unbeaten teams at the tournament in successive final matches and deservedly to be crowned World Champion !

On the other hand, if the Kiwis can beat us in foreign soil in a much bigger ground than all the home grounds they had played in all tournament , they will be worthy winner too !

I just think the loss at Eden Park was a very good wake up call for our boys, as they have been so dominant against India, England and South Africa, if we had beaten the Kiwis earlier , you can't help but fear for some degree of complacency among the team and that could bring us undone and may choke at the Final.

Now that we got that loss out of the way , our boys will be on high alert and will be hungry for the revenge - so I am confident that they won't make the same mistake again !

Go the Aussie !

rooter
29-03-2015, 05:10 PM
Aussies looking good!!
But this game is not over yet.
Last time we played the Kiwis they had us all out for 150.
The game seemed over, but we almost won it only losing it by one wicket.
If the Kiwis can get up to 220 its game on.
I still think the Aussies will win though - they are clearly the better team and the MCG is not good for the Kiwis.

Oneonone
29-03-2015, 05:50 PM
184 to get we only have to bat sensibly

rooter
29-03-2015, 05:56 PM
WOW!!!
Aussies were brilliant!!!
Took out the two danger men in McCullum and Guptill straight away.
Taylor and Elliot put the Kiwis back in the game.
But then Faulkner came in and took a few wickets and that really should be game over!
Starc, Faulkner, and Johnstone were brilliant, and Maxwell chipped in with a crucial wicket and awesome run out.
Now its up to the batsmen.
180 odd is a modest target, but you still have to make those runs ... and if you lose a few early wickets 180 suddenly becomes a big number

AHLUNGOR
30-03-2015, 08:45 AM
Michael Clarke's last ODI game and he put in a Captains knock, well done Clarkey!

Now have a break with Kyly then go to England and win back to back Ashes then retire from Test Cricket at your peak and in your own terms !

You can still make good money playing at the IPL and the Big Bash !

Well done mate !

harmony
30-03-2015, 10:04 AM
Agreed Bro Ahl

Michael Clarke absolutely was class, coming back from surgery just before the tournament, and top scoring in the Final !!!
He wore Phillip Hughes initials on a black armband during the match, in honour of his younger friend

My highlights:
1)Watching the New Zealand batting order just crumple in the face of absolutely devastating bowling
Crumble is disintegration. But crumple is being bent and broken at different intervals.
2)Seeing Mitch Johnson return to top form, he was almost unplayable, and had his true venom back
3)Seeing the baby faced Steve Smith play to the end, the 'heir apparent'
4)Watching Michael Clarke bat with his deputy, Steve Smith, in the Final, Clarke in his last ODI
5)Seeing Michael Clarke get his own standing ovation - there was an upside in him losing his wicket
6)Despite the batting dominance, and batters with huge heavy bats, bowlers won both the "Best Player of the Tournament" (Mitchell Starc), and "Best Player of the final" (Faukner)

Apart from the finish, with Clarke getting a standing ovation - what a dull game
But a win is a win

And it turned out that its better to lose a game early, and learn humility, as Australia had to do.
This loss led eventually to Steve Smith being promoted to no 3 (an improvement), and Watson being dropped, which was a good wakeup call for everyone

It turned out to be true, that you are not going win a Major Tournament on your first attempt, (Rugby, Cricket etc), unless you have very high talent, particularly if your opponent is experienced and has won many times before

Ideally in next World Cup we can have only the top 6-8 countries being involved, each team play each other twice before the Final
Having the minnows involved may have been good for their development, but it led to far too many uneven boring games

Congratulations to Australia
Commiserations to the runners up, New Zealand

What a long tournament, and Australia peaked at exactly the right time

AHLUNGOR
30-03-2015, 03:51 PM
Agreed Bro Ahl

Michael Clarke absolutely was class, coming back from surgery just before the tournament, and top scoring in the Final !!!
He wore Phillip Hughes initials on a black armband during the match, in honour of his younger friend

My highlights:
1)Watching the New Zealand batting order just crumple in the face of absolutely devastating bowling
2)Seeing Mitch Johnson return to top form, he was almost unplayable, and had his true venom back
3)Seeing the baby faced Steve Smith play to the end, the 'heir apparent'
4)Watching Michael Clarke bat with his deputy, Steve Smith, in the Final, Clarke in his last ODI
5)Seeing Michael Clarke get his own standing ovation - there was an upside in him losing his wicket
6)Despite the batting dominance, and batters with huge heavy bats, bowlers won both the "Best Player of the Tournament" (Mitchell Starc), and "Best Player of the final" (Faukner)

Apart from the finish, with Clarke getting a standing ovation - what a dull game
But a win is a win

And it turned out that its better to lose a game early, and learn humility, as Australia had to do.
This loss led to the team being changed, and Watson being dropped, which was a good wakeup call for everyone

It turned out to be true, that it is unlikely that you are going to win a Major Tournament on your first attempt, (Rugby, Cricket etc) particularly if your opponent is experienced and has won many times before

Ideally in next World Cup we can have only the top 6-8 countries being involved, each team play each other twice before the Final
Having the minnows involved may have been good for their development, but it led to far too many uneven boring games

Congratulations to Australia
Commiserations to the runners up, New Zealand

What a long tournament, and Australia peaked at exactly the right time

Very good summation brother Harmony !

You have a few very good points and there are two issues (in Red and Blue) which I would like to comment on:

I said this earlier that losing to NZ over at Eden Park may not be a bad thing! Our team has been very dominant all Summer trashing India and England and beating South Africa and being the host country and the hot favourite for the tournament, if we remain unbeaten to the final, there could be a different result at the G !! I think if the Aussie would have beaten the Kiwis at Eden Park, McCullum would be more cautious and may play a bit differently and if he hadn't got out in the first over and put on 50+ runs instead, who knows what would have happened!

Shane Watson getting dropped and then recalled had done him the world of good !

Same thing could be said for Josh Hazlewood, and Steve Smith too (people may have forgotten he was Not even in the first ODI game at the beginning of Summer - and look at what he has done to his game since !!)

Even for Mitchell Starc, the star of the tournament - I am not giving too much credit to Warney's comments on Starc being "Soft" in the first test match ! but then again, Starcky took the criticism on board and now he is on top of the world !!

For the long term development and worldwide exposure of the game, I think we need to include the associated countries.

My idea of the next World Cup in England is to have 12 teams instead of 14, and the top 10 teams in the world ranking should have automatic entries to the tournament group stage, the minnows countries can play in a qualifying tournament pre- world cup and the top two teams to join the group stage.

Cheers

ps. won a bit of money through out the World Cup and on the final.

But I could have been a lot more happier if Steve Smith would have top scored in the Tournament, and if he did, I would collect over $2,000 in two bets, I was so disappointed that the game vs Bangladesh was wash out, Stevie would probably make a ton there and if we had won the toss yesterday and batted first, who knows how many runs would he had made ?

:anger:

harmony
30-03-2015, 03:58 PM
Good points Bro Ahl, including the criticisms from Shane "Thirsty" Warne, that Mitchell Starc addressed in his preparations

"McCullum may play a bit differently and if he hadn't got out in the first over and put on 50+, who knows what would have happened!"

I know what would have happened - if McCullum had fired, and put up a big score, it would have been a fantastic game to watch !

And if the first 3 NZ batsmen could have put 200 runs on the board between them, then we would have had a classic game of one day cricket !

And you might have lost your bet regarding the winning team.

My 2 cents

AHLUNGOR
30-03-2015, 04:08 PM
Team of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2015 in batting order:

Brendon McCullum (New Zealand (captain)

Martin Guptill (New Zealand)

Kumar Sangakkara (Sri Lanka) (wicketkeeper)

Steven Smith (Australia)

AB de Villiers (South Africa)

Glenn Maxwell (Australia)

Corey Anderson (New Zealand)

Daniel Vettori (New Zealand)

Mitchell Starc (Australia)

Trent Boult (New Zealand)

Morne Morkel (South Africa)

Brendan Taylor (Zimbabwe) (12th man)

any thoughts ??

AHLUNGOR
30-03-2015, 04:13 PM
Good points Bro Ahl, including the criticisms from Shane "Thirsty" Warne, that Mitchell Starc addressed in his preparations

"McCullum may play a bit differently and if he hadn't got out in the first over and put on 50+, who knows what would have happened!"

I know what would have happened - if McCullum had fired, and put up a big score, it would have been a fantastic game to watch !

And if the first 3 NZ batsmen could have put 200 runs on the board between them, then we would have had a classic game of one day cricket !

And you might have lost your bet regarding the winning team.

My 2 cents

Haha, I don't think so !

My bet on Clarke top score and Australia to win @$8.00 was never in doubt mate !! :shout:

harmony
30-03-2015, 04:17 PM
I completely agree and somewhat disagree with the ICC nominated team of the World Cup 2015

The nominated best 12 players all put in fantastic tournament performances, and all are great choices. Congratulations.

So I totally agree

BUT IF WE A GOING TO BE BRUTALLY HONEST ...

I have to rule out all of the New Zealand Players in this ICC list, that at time of critical pressure, ie the Cup Final, they melted under true pressure
Its no good if you can score centuries against Zimbabwe, Afghanistan or weaker nations, but when you are in a Cup Final, you go to jelly

No disrespect to McCullum (fantastic batter), and Guptill (who scored 237 against an unimpressive West Indies), but when it comes to playing the best teams, you have to be able to deal with the pressure at the highest level

True champions perform in the 'crunch' games, when the stakes are the highest. Thats the mark of real class.
All the New Zealand players nominated, who melted in the Cup final, (including McCullum and Guptill) have to be replaced in the list by the next most successful batters / bowlers

But again, the ICC list is a great one.

My 2 cents

AHLUNGOR
30-03-2015, 04:29 PM
Mate ! That's Not my list, it's the official list by ICC, if it was my list, I would have put in Michael Clarke in there somewhere and as Captain as well :

ICC ANNOUNCES TEAM OF THE ICC CRICKET WORLD CUP 2015

The team was chosen by a select group of experts who were given the task of picking a balanced side on the basis of performances in the tournament

harmony
30-03-2015, 04:41 PM
I have corrected my post

I totally agree about your nomination of Michael Clarke

Michael Clarke needs to be in the top 11, and as captain (C)
He displayed true genius as a World Cup captain - many of his strategies bowling and fielding changes produced immediate results at many times during the Tournament

My 2 cents

AHLUNGOR
30-03-2015, 06:15 PM
I have corrected my post

I totally agree about your nomination of Michael Clarke

Michael Clarke needs to be in the top 11, and as captain (C)
He displayed true genius as a World Cup captain - many of his strategies bowling and fielding changes produced immediate results at many times during the Tournament

My 2 cents

Well, my own list is simple, Clarke in for McCullum and bat at no. 4 behind Smith, Sangakkara to open with Gutpill and Faulkner in for Anderson !

And to be politically correct, Kohli as the 12th man .

The rest can stay

Cheers

rooter
30-03-2015, 06:22 PM
and Warney as coach, just to add a touch of class. Cricket is the gentleman's game after all.

harmony
30-03-2015, 06:25 PM
Haha

Warney for recreation manager and dating coach
His shifts start after 8pm in the offseason only

My 2 cents

rooter
30-03-2015, 06:29 PM
And Jeremy Clarkson as manager

harmony
30-03-2015, 06:30 PM
And rooter for ICC international chairman
You are on fire brother

All the AUS99 regulars should tour West Indies in style later in 2015, after nominating what position they want with the Australian team

I will tour later in the year, as Chief Physio for the Womens Asian Cup of Cricket, if that exists

rooter
30-03-2015, 06:44 PM
And rooter for ICC international chairman
You are on fire brother

All the AUS99 regulars should tour West Indies in style later in 2015, after nominating what position they want with the Australian team

I will tour later in the year, as Chief Physio for the Womens Asian Cup of Cricket, if that exists

Maybe not bro.
A lot of female cricketers are lesbians.
In fact a lot of women who play sports that are traditionally male, are lesbians.
This isn't some sexist homophobic rant but merely a statement of fact.
Go for sports that are traditionally female or unisex eg. netball, hockey, tennis, swimming, golf, gymnastics etc.
That's where the babes are.
WE have digressed .. just to get back on track I agree with Bro A on the team but I would have Dhoni as Keeper

harmony
30-03-2015, 07:49 PM
True bro R
As I was writing that last post, I was thinking, I dont know any hot Australian womens cricketers

Ok, I nominate myself as the physio for the Australian adult womens gymnastics team, West Indies Tour 2015

AHLUNGOR
30-03-2015, 09:46 PM
And Elyese Perry is one hot babe and a good all rounder cricketer !

hoofgan
02-04-2015, 03:00 PM
Anyone think Joe Burns was a bit rough to miss out on a Ashes spot? He played really well in that last test at the SCG against India!

croney
03-04-2015, 04:29 PM
Yes I can see what you Walters want and here it is
Icc World Cup team is the total Australian team including Don Bradman.
But wait didn't he fall to the pressure in the final instant. Nah can't have him in team. Replaced by Benny Hill