PDA

View Full Version : General talk Men's watches

rage_face
18-04-2015, 10:54 AM
hey all,

I've been wearing a $100 watch since I started work when I was junior many many years ago, and have always been happy with it, even till this day. I used to wear a very crappy watch before this, when I was a student, so buying a $100 watch when I first started work was a very big deal for me. I enjoy the look and simplicity of the watch, and it holds a lot of sentimental value.

HOWEVER, lately I have started thinking that a lot of girls judge me based on this, thinking that I must be a poor bastard. Now, I know this may be silly, because as the saying goes, "we buy things we don't want, with money we don't have, to impress people we don't like". I'm very aware of this. And some will also say that if girls judge us by material goods then they are not worth our time. But my reality recently is that most girls will judge us men based on how much money we have. I call bullshit if anyone says otherwise.

So anyway, back to my point. I am looking to get another watch, for around the $1000 mark, maybe even $2000 if I really like the look of it. I know nothing about watches, so am here to seek recommendations. What are some decent watches for around those prices? I don't know anything about brands, although obviously Rolex, Omega and Tag seem to be the most prestige. I was looking at DJ's and Myer and saw a brand called Emporio Armani, Hugo Boss, Armani Exchange - what do people think of those brands?

I am just after a very simple design. Don't want ones with a lot of buttons, or a lot of mini-clocks inside the main watch. All I need is it to tell the damn time.

If you are willing to say, what watch are you wearing now?

wilisno
18-04-2015, 11:12 AM
hey all,

I've been wearing a $100 watch since I started work when I was junior many many years ago, and have always been happy with it, even till this day. I used to wear a very crappy watch before this, when I was a student, so buying a $100 watch when I first started work was a very big deal for me. I enjoy the look and simplicity of the watch, and it holds a lot of sentimental value.

HOWEVER, lately I have started thinking that a lot of girls judge me based on this, thinking that I must be a poor bastard. Now, I know this may be silly, because as the saying goes, "we buy things we don't want, with money we don't have, to impress people we don't like". I'm very aware of this. And some will also say that if girls judge us by material goods then they are not worth our time. But my reality recently is that most girls will judge us men based on how much money we have. I call bullshit if anyone says otherwise.

So anyway, back to my point. I am looking to get another watch, for around the $1000 mark, maybe even $2000 if I really like the look of it. I know nothing about watches, so am here to seek recommendations. What are some decent watches for around those prices? I don't know anything about brands, although obviously Rolex, Omega and Tag seem to be the most prestige. I was looking at DJ's and Myer and saw a brand called Emporio Armani, Hugo Boss, Armani Exchange - what do people think of those brands?

I am just after a very simple design. Don't want ones with a lot of buttons, or a lot of mini-clocks inside the main watch. All I need is it to tell the damn time.

If you are willing to say, what watch are you wearing now?
Armani, Hugo Boss are fashion designers who take advantage of their fame and market watches, but they're not manufacturers of prestigious watches. Rolex, Longines and Omega are great watches manufacturers with long history, and the more trendy one like TagHeuer ! If you can afford one, try Patek Phillippe ! ;) ;) ;)

rage_face
18-04-2015, 11:15 AM
Also wanted to add, another reason for the upgrade is that it has become apparent to me that, as the suits, shirts and ties I wear get more expensive, it seems a bit odd to wear a watch of not proportional value.

Personally I wouldn't want to fuck a non WL girl who was just fucking me for money but there it is.

I know bro, but some girls won't even talk to you if they think you look like you got no honey...I mean money.

rage_face
18-04-2015, 11:16 AM
Armani, Hugo Boss are fashion designers who take advantage of their fame and market watches, but they're not manufacturers of prestigious watches. Rolex, Longines and Omega are great watches manufacturers with long history, and the more trendy one like TagHeuer ! If you can afford one, try Patek Phillippe ! ;) ;) ;)

Thanks for the info bro, that's a good start.

I don't, however, want a watch that people would be willing to cut my hand off for lol.

wilisno
18-04-2015, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the info bro, that's a good start.

I don't, however, want a watch that people would be willing to cut my hand off for lol.
I don't think it's a great risk wearing those watches in Australia, because most people don't know what they are ! ;) ;) ;)

But in Asia, it'll be more risky if you don't know where to hang out ! ;) ;) ;)

rage_face
18-04-2015, 11:35 AM
I don't think it's a great risk wearing those watches in Australia, because most people don't know what they are ! ;) ;) ;)

But in Asia, it'll be more risky if you don't know where to hang out ! ;) ;) ;)

Do you think any of those brands would be around $1000 mark?

Sextus
18-04-2015, 12:07 PM
The financial review magazine has a special "watch" edition every so often. They have a great overview of classic designs and the latest, and the close up ad photography of the watches is amazingly good. Find out when the next issue is coming out (how do you access back issues?) and wait for it.

You have had the $100 watch forever. So you know a watch is a long term purchase. Therefore your purchase of a new one should be proportionally non-hasty, ie it has to be something you like the look of a lot and feel you can live with in the long term.

If you do some of your research in a shop, then make a resolve not to purchase there and then. The salesman doesn't care what you end up with so long as he makes a sale. He'll only be living with the commission, while you will be living with the watch. Make notes of which ones appeal to you firstly on a visual and aesthetic level and secondly on a functional and technical level. The object to get one that fills both criteria beautifully.

You can then do further research of each of your potential choices online - but!

If the shop has a good range and you have done valuable research in there physically handling them and wearing them, feeling their weight and balance, at the shop's time and expense - online browsing means you just can't do this - and decided on one from the shop, I think you are ethically bound to purchase from that shop. It is a long term purchase, so 10% or 20% saved here or there means very little.

cisco
18-04-2015, 12:11 PM
Cartier watch is the best ever :)

jellyshots
18-04-2015, 12:14 PM
You'd be hard pressed to buy a second hand Patek Phillippe under $4k second hand.

They are very elegant and simple looking like the IWC and a few others but they're pricey.

Panerai if you like big watches.

Best bet for under $1000 for something nice is Tisot.

wilisno
18-04-2015, 12:17 PM
Another fashion designer ! ;) ;) ;)

icecream
18-04-2015, 12:46 PM
Richard Mille..

kingwally
18-04-2015, 12:48 PM

But in Asia, it'll be more risky if you don't know where to hang out ! ;) ;) ;)I have personally witnessed a guy wearing an expensive watch getting his arm completely chopped off at the elbow by a pair of motorcycle thieves in the Philippines.

Back to the topic...if all they care about is how expensive your watch/phone/car is...they are not worth pursuing because they are high maintenance and will dump you as soon as a richer sucker comes along...not worth the effort!

AHLUNGOR
18-04-2015, 01:18 PM

You just beat me to les must de Cartier brother cisco..............lol

I have a true story to tell about Cartier :

Back in 1983 when I just came to Sydney, I was working in a large international firm, one of the sales manager her name was Jane and she was very trendy, young Aussie blonde and very sophisticated (sorry - not my type actually - only a B cup..........lol). and one day we were sitting next to each other at lunch and I noticed that she was wearing a Cariter watch, so I commented: Les must de Cartier - you have very good taste Jane ! Her face just light up and said, you are the first person in Sydney who knows about Cartier. Where did you buy it? Last month when I was in Singapore but back home, no one had even heard about it, it costed me $3,000 Australian Dollar and I am so upset that no one knew this brand. Sorry to hear that Jane, but in Hong Kong, most people know Cartier.

That was back in the 80's I think the Australian public has come a long way in brand recognitions now. Thanks to all the designer labels specialty shops in town.

Just my two cents

Cheers

:cool2:

ps. the best watch I ever owned was a Longines............haha

rage_face
18-04-2015, 01:36 PM
The financial review magazine has a special "watch" edition every so often. They have a great overview of classic designs and the latest, and the close up ad photography of the watches is amazingly good. Find out when the next issue is coming out (how do you access back issues?) and wait for it.

You have had the $100 watch forever. So you know a watch is a long term purchase. Therefore your purchase of a new one should be proportionally non-hasty, ie it has to be something you like the look of a lot and feel you can live with in the long term.

If you do some of your research in a shop, then make a resolve not to purchase there and then. The salesman doesn't care what you end up with so long as he makes a sale. He'll only be living with the commission, while you will be living with the watch. Make notes of which ones appeal to you firstly on a visual and aesthetic level and secondly on a functional and technical level. The object to get one that fills both criteria beautifully.

You can then do further research of each of your potential choices online - but!

If the shop has a good range and you have done valuable research in there physically handling them and wearing them, feeling their weight and balance, at the shop's time and expense - online browsing means you just can't do this - and decided on one from the shop, I think you are ethically bound to purchase from that shop. It is a long term purchase, so 10% or 20% saved here or there means very little.

Thanks bro, very good points. I just had a quick google and couldn't find anything about the Financial Review watches editions, thought their website has a watch section (one retails at $100k.......... :grimace:).

As for shops, they all seem pretty intimidating. I feel like I'm too poor to go in, even though I wear decent suits. Anyone got any tips on how not to act like a third world farmer when going in lol?

rage_face
18-04-2015, 01:36 PM
You'd be hard pressed to buy a second hand Patek Phillippe under $4k second hand.

They are very elegant and simple looking like the IWC and a few others but they're pricey.

Panerai if you like big watches.

Best bet for under $1000 for something nice is Tisot.

Ok thanks bro, PP is out of the question then. I'll have a look at Tisot.

What about Breitling?

rage_face
18-04-2015, 01:38 PM
I have personally witnessed a guy wearing an expensive watch getting his arm completely chopped off at the elbow by a pair of motorcycle thieves in the Philippines.

Back to the topic...if all they care about is how expensive your watch/phone/car is...they are not worth pursuing because they are high maintenance and will dump you as soon as a richer sucker comes along...not worth the effort!

Bro come on, we all have to admit that most girls will make an assessment based on what we wear, and part of that will include the watch we're wearing. If I have to look for a girl who doesn't care about money at all, it'll probably take 100 years.

rage_face
18-04-2015, 01:40 PM
Another question - how well do these watches hold resale value?

wilisno
18-04-2015, 01:43 PM
Another question - how well do these watches hold resale value?
Like a Harley Davidson ! ;) ;) ;)

kingwally
18-04-2015, 01:47 PM
Bro come on, we all have to admit that most girls will make an assessment based on what we wear, and part of that will include the watch we're wearing. If I have to look for a girl who doesn't care about money at all, it'll probably take 100 years.I realize that they judge us on our presentation and our prospects/assets etc but really...a watch ?? All women are impressed by money/possessions.

xtsy
18-04-2015, 01:47 PM
IWC , longines , may be tissot

dont buy Armani or hugo boss

AHLUNGOR
18-04-2015, 01:53 PM
I realize that they judge us on our presentation and our prospects/assets etc but really...a watch ?? All women are impressed by money/possessions.

But you can't really show off your Black or Platimum AE cards right from the start right ?

I hate to think how many hot chicks the centre link/St George Bank con man got to fuck when he was driving his Lamborghini around ??

rage_face
18-04-2015, 01:56 PM
Like a Harley Davidson ! ;) ;) ;)

Uh...I know nothing about bikes either lol.

I realize that they judge us on our presentation and our prospects/assets etc but really...a watch ?? All women are impressed by money/possessions.

Yeah bro.

Thanks.

beta101
18-04-2015, 02:02 PM
i got an iwatch n i feel smug all the time

rage_face
18-04-2015, 02:04 PM
i got an iwatch n i feel smug all the time

lol iwatch not my thang.

jellyshots
18-04-2015, 03:11 PM
Breitling is a great watch brand but women may not know the brand. Again, it's much more expensive than $1k.

You might have some luck picking up one of the brands like PP, IWC or Constantine second hand. Then you could tell women that it's a family heirloom, lol.

As for the confidence thing in shops or around women... I find that the best way to fix that is by dressing in what I like to wear. If I feel like being in a suit, great, if not, a pair of jeans and a nice shirt. Mainly it's about presentation... Buy some good aftershave and use it sparingly. Wear good shoes...

Before you know it, you'll look a million bucks and feel a million bucks.

max_power
18-04-2015, 04:23 PM
Breitling. There pretty nice.

milhouse88
18-04-2015, 04:53 PM

Good advice, am quite partial to Longines.

I used to wear watches all the time when I was younger. Stopped wearing once I got a smartphone. Then I got a watch for a birthday present and never wore it.

rage_face
19-04-2015, 01:10 AM
the other thing is, are these places negotiable? Or is it just not the done thing lol

watersjek
19-04-2015, 02:05 AM
The Australian Financial Review people that write about watches launched a website last year which might help out at http://www.watch-next.com/

jellyshots
19-04-2015, 09:46 AM
Wow, the Breguet Classique Tourbillon looks awesome.

Most of the places are negotiable to some degree but we wary of shopping for Champagne on a beer budget...

cisco
19-04-2015, 10:42 AM
You just beat me to les must de Cartier brother cisco..............lol

I have a true story to tell about Cartier :

Back in 1983 when I just came to Sydney, I was working in a large international firm, one of the sales manager her name was Jane and she was very trendy, young Aussie blonde and very sophisticated (sorry - not my type actually - only a B cup..........lol). and one day we were sitting next to each other at lunch and I noticed that she was wearing a Cariter watch, so I commented: Les must de Cartier - you have very good taste Jane ! Her face just light up and said, you are the first person in Sydney who knows about Cartier. Where did you buy it? Last month when I was in Singapore but back home, no one had even heard about it, it costed me $3,000 Australian Dollar and I am so upset that no one knew this brand. Sorry to hear that Jane, but in Hong Kong, most people know Cartier.

That was back in the 80's I think the Australian public has come a long way in brand recognitions now. Thanks to all the designer labels specialty shops in town.

Just my two cents

Cheers

:cool2:

ps. the best watch I ever owned was a Longines............haha

......... :)

lonely heart
19-04-2015, 12:58 PM
This looks good for $110

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/190824

Miyamoto
19-04-2015, 09:14 PM
I like the look of Seiko, but it might not have the status of the other brands, since some of their collections are quite cheap

Choc-O-Block
19-04-2015, 09:15 PM
the other thing is, are these places negotiable? Or is it just not the done thing lol
Negotiable? Absolutely! Don't be a wood duck if you go into the specialty establishments because at the end of the day, they are simply selling to earn a commission. Just like buying a new/used car. Check out
www.jomashop.com

Choc-O-Block
19-04-2015, 09:31 PM
I like the look of Seiko, but it might not have the status of the other brands, since some of their collections are quite cheap
Agree, Seiko do have some great looking watches. I actually bought a Seiko from a jeweller who was closing down a few years ago for $700 which retailed at $1500. Lucky bargain!

wilisno
19-04-2015, 09:46 PM
Agree, Seiko do have some great looking watches. I actually bought a Seiko from a jeweller who was closing down a few years ago for $700 which retailed at $1500. Lucky bargain!
And Seiko watches last forever !!!

abovetherim
19-04-2015, 10:06 PM
I know this one is a bit out of your budget but have a look at the omega Speedmaster pro. I love this watch for the story & history behind it.

watersjek
19-04-2015, 10:16 PM
The Moon landing watch is quite a tagline to have attached to a brand, after all.

carrot2
19-04-2015, 11:14 PM
Maybe look into getting a smart watch.. like the apple watch or an android wear device. Some of them look pretty good in my opinion and a lot more modern and techy than a lot of old fashioned automatic watches.

If you want something that looks good without breaking the bank you could always grab yourself a replica. A decent replica can be bought from $100-200 AUD delivered. There are a few sites / vendors that will ship to Australia.
The quality of a lot of the replicas is quite good and much better than the knock-offs of old. Don't get them confused with the cheap rolex knock-offs you buy for $10 at the side of the street. A good replica will be water sealed and keep good time with good movement. If you have the money you can buy genuine but a lot of people will have trouble telling the difference between a good replica and a real one. Check out: www.replica-watch.info

Max Impact
19-04-2015, 11:22 PM
Panerai- but not $2,000

rage_face
19-04-2015, 11:36 PM
Negotiable? Absolutely! Don't be a wood duck if you go into the specialty establishments because at the end of the day, they are simply selling to earn a commission. Just like buying a new/used car. Check out
www.jomashop.com

Thanks Choc, is that site legit? I saw a Tag watch for $800!

rage_face
19-04-2015, 11:40 PM
Maybe look into getting a smart watch.. like the apple watch or an android wear device. Some of them look pretty good in my opinion and a lot more modern and techy than a lot of old fashioned automatic watches.

If you want something that looks good without breaking the bank you could always grab yourself a replica. A decent replica can be bought from $100-200 AUD delivered. There are a few sites / vendors that will ship to Australia.
The quality of a lot of the replicas is quite good and much better than the knock-offs of old. Don't get them confused with the cheap rolex knock-offs you buy for $10 at the side of the street. A good replica will be water sealed and keep good time with good movement. If you have the money you can buy genuine but a lot of people will have trouble telling the difference between a good replica and a real one. Check out: www.replica-watch.info

So...a replica is like a good fake watch?

Licker
19-04-2015, 11:49 PM
So...a replica is like a good fake watch?

Replica = fake watch!

Some work, some don't.

Licker
19-04-2015, 11:51 PM
If you have the money you can buy genuine but a lot of people will have trouble telling the difference between a good replica and a real one.

I would know, and that matters to me.

rage_face
19-04-2015, 11:59 PM
I would know, and that matters to me.

What are the signs to look for?

Choc-O-Block
20-04-2015, 06:06 AM

Your welcome & yes it is a legit site. A work colleague bought himself a Tag from there last year.

Choc-O-Block
20-04-2015, 06:20 AM
What are the signs to look for?
Always check the weight of a watch. An expensive brand is usually heavier & solid in feel. Other signs are intricate details expensive watches have in their designs which you need to research & be aware of.

TripleJ
20-04-2015, 07:17 AM

Its USD so you need to convert it

harmsup_jai
20-04-2015, 08:09 AM
Most designs and models from tag for male under $1k in my opinion dont look very nice.

Decent looking Tag watches are at least 1500 when on special and over 2k normally.

Would recommend you get a Tissot watch over a Seiko as I find Tissot designs are much more premium in a way compared to Seiko which can look tacky for times.

But to be honest if a girl judges you by your watch then she is not the one for you.

wilisno
20-04-2015, 12:07 PM
Would recommend you get a Tissot watch over a Seiko as I find Tissot designs are much more premium in a way compared to Seiko which can look tacky for times.

It's like comparing a BMW with a Mazda, Tag Heuer and Seiko, even Tissot and Seiko ! ;) ;) ;)

Difference in price of course !

harmony
27-04-2015, 11:19 AM
Recent article

Eight stylish smart watches not made by Apple

Calling all early adopters.
With the highly anticipated Apple Watch (http://www.theage.com.au/executive-style/luxury/living-with-the-new-apple-watch-20150409-1mgnh7.html) landing in stores around the globe this week, we now expect far more from our timepieces than mere time-telling.

While they may never entirely replace a classic Breitling for investment potential or the cachet of a Rolex that's handed from one generation to the next, the new generation of shiny smart watches are great fun for day-to-day use.

http://www.executivestyle.com.au/eight-stylish-smart-watches-not-made-by-apple-1mpxgb

Kaylie
27-04-2015, 12:42 PM
Spend $2K and buy a TAG

cato
27-04-2015, 07:04 PM
Tissot or Oris are probably your best bets to get a nice looking swiss watch around $1000.

Oris in particular make several watches that resemble IWC Pilot watches (my favorite watches) which would usually set you back $5000+

I mean they're not knock-offs, but rather very elegant looking IWC pilot style designs.

Baume & Mercier is also worth a look if you like more dressy looking watches at reasonable prices but they're closer to the 2k mark.

Don't be afraid to spend big money on a good watch if you can afford it. You'll never lose money. Most top watches increase in value over time.

TAG and Omega (not really my cup of tea) and many other makers have put their prices up considerably over the last few years. Eg: An Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean used to cost under 2.5k not that long ago, now some are almost double that and other models over 6k in that line.

Hope you find something you like and enjoy looking!

rage_face
09-05-2015, 06:27 PM
I think I have decided on an Omega. I looked at their website and saw one I like, but they don't have any prices. How am I supposed to know how much it is???

vvillie
09-05-2015, 07:15 PM
Good choice. I'm actually getting myself an omega Aqua terra co axial for around 5k next month. You have to go in store for pricing, but the site 'chrono24' gives good indicative pricing from reputable sellers and had lots of quality second hand pieces.

wilisno
09-05-2015, 08:45 PM
I just found out Cotsco sells some of those prestigious brands of watches too, you might save a few bucks there ! ;) ;) ;)

Azzkikr
09-05-2015, 09:17 PM
Anyone here got the Apple watch?

dr3w
23-05-2015, 12:11 AM
guys what do you think on longines watch? or Oris?

wilisno
23-05-2015, 01:06 AM
guys what do you think on longines watch? or Oris?

Longines is on par with Omega, if they were cars, they should be in the class of Mercedes Benz.

xili0966
24-05-2015, 11:56 AM
You have to decide if u want a quartz or mechanical watch first.

For mechanicals less than 2k tissot or oris or longines are good. $2k is pretty much entry level for swiss watches.

You can also consider german mechanical watches. They are also quality pieces. Check out Junghans, Sinn or Laco or Archimede.

There are also many smaller watch brands online that sell directly to the customer. You get great quality at reasonable prices. Check out Christopher Ward or Stowa. These watches are pretty exclusive because everyone wears a TAG in this country.

Sextus
24-05-2015, 12:07 PM
I'm in the market for a pair of really good shoes, and I liked the look of these Theolonious Monk strap shoes ($583)

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l5/waveflows/monk1_zpsf1cydthf.jpg (http://s92.photobucket.com/user/waveflows/media/monk1_zpsf1cydthf.jpg.html)

But then I realised that the part I like best, the silver buckles set against the black leather, would be hidden by my trouser cuffs, and therefore no **** would be able to see them.

Solution: Wear these shoes with cargo shorts and long socks. :shout:

CunningLinguist
25-05-2015, 02:46 AM
You can just wear long pants that are too short, if they are obviously too short and you wear red socks everyone will think you are a male model...