PDA

View Full Version : General talk Can Jason Day win his maiden golf Major this morning in the USPGA?

AHLUNGOR
17-08-2015, 09:21 AM
Jason Day is currently -20 through 15!

Three holes to pay ! 4 shots clear of his playing partner Jordan !

If Day can go on to win from here and stays at -20 under par, he will create his own golfing history by winning a major at -20!

Current record is held by Tiger Wood with -19 when he won the British Open many years ago !

BTW, would he be the first player with Phllipino heritage to win a Major ?

Go Jason !!

AHLUNGOR
17-08-2015, 10:07 AM
Yes, he did it!

20 under par and a Major winner now and holds the new record on the lowest score in winning a golf major !!

Well done Jason !

AHLUNGOR
17-08-2015, 10:38 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/content/dam/images/g/j/0/h/4/v/image.related.articleLeadNarrow.300x0.gj0fzx.png/1439768438630.jpg

Australia's Jason Day has claimed his first major, taking out the US PGA Championship at Whistling Straits on Monday morning AEST.
Day shot a final round of five-under-par 67 to finish at 20-under-par 205 and win by three shots from American Jordan Spieth.

An emotional Day was in tears on the green before he even made his final putt. He hugged his caddie before being joined by his wife Ellie and son Dash in celebration on the 18th.

Day's total of 20-under is the lowest score under par in major championship history. The win makes Day Australia's 11th major champion.

Read more: Jason Day wins 2015 US PGA Championship (http://www.smh.com.au/sport/golf/jason-day-wins-2015-us-pga-championship-20150816-gj0fzx.html#ixzz3j1dsnCHr)
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

imaragingbull
17-08-2015, 12:46 PM
What a champion!!

The Boy from Jimboomba holds his nerve - what a deserving champion, and a well-grounded and humble man.

I hope this really opens the floodgates for him now in Majors and other tournaments!

So, so happy for him

exstar
17-08-2015, 02:37 PM
The answer to this question is yes!

AHLUNGOR
19-08-2015, 11:05 AM
Webster: Nick Kyrgios can learn many lessons from US PGA champion Jason Day

That's how an Aussie sports person and a Champion shall behave !!

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2015/08/18/1227487/869939-dfa45ccc-4521-11e5-ac0e-632009ba126e.jpg

Not like this !!

http://sportyangel.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/598026_1.jpg

AHLUNGOR
19-08-2015, 11:08 AM
It's amazing how by winning a major that will get all the heart warming good life time stories all came out for this talented young golfer !

By the way, this has been a long time coming for Jason Day, he was not an overnight success like young Jordan . But he has been doing very well too:

He had won a few tournaments, most recently just a week before the PGA Championship. He has been runner ups in majors three times and won a World Cup teaming with Adam Scott. He was ranked 5th in the world - now no. 3!

And he has already won more than $20M in prize money !

But funny enough, I didn't know his story until this week after he won the major !

Another Queenslander grew up in Beaudessert, lost his father when he was 12. His mother sold the house or second mortgaged it to fund Jason's study and golfing dream ! The mum used to have to use a knife to cut the grass because they did have money to repair the lawn mower !

He also donated a large part of his $1.5m prize money in the 2013 World Cup to the victims of the Phillipines cyclone disasters ! He lost his grandmother ? And a few relatives in the cyclone too .

A good family man and finally a major winner !

Well done Jason

More to come for sure !

imaragingbull
19-08-2015, 12:37 PM
Too bloody right!!

Number 1 is next on the great man's list!!

AHLUNGOR
19-08-2015, 03:47 PM
Jordan is hardly an overnight success, has 2 U.S. Amateur titles and 6 US professional wins to his name, and a great Australian open triumph.

Fair enough, still, he is only 22 and he won the rookie of the year back in 2013 when he turned pro. And he won his first major on his third year, early success in his career then !

AHLUNGOR
19-08-2015, 04:09 PM
Day will have to improve significantly to get to world no 1.

Jordan Speith had a cumulative -53 under par for the four majors beating tigers existing record, Day did very well at -32 (I believe). That is a massive gap between these two players. Personally if Jordan stays fit and well then Jason can maybe attain no 2.

Of course we wish Jason Day the best of luck. Very hard to say how he would perform after his maiden Major win. You would think after the monkey off his back, he will go on from here and win a few more. I hope he does.

I remember back a few years after Adam Scott won the US Master, I thought, Wow, watch out world, here comes Adam !! but he hasn't win another Major since.

Good luck to both of them !!

imaragingbull
19-08-2015, 04:17 PM
Yes, but Day doesn't have a fundamental issue with a major part of his game - putting!

Day can do it, just wait and watch... I might just go and celebrate for Jason in style this evening!

Don't get me wrong through, Scotty's swing is just poetic.

AHLUNGOR
19-08-2015, 05:54 PM
Yes, but Day doesn't have a fundamental issue with a major part of his game - putting!

Day can do it, just wait and watch... I might just go and celebrate for Jason in style this evening!

Don't get me wrong through, Scotty's swing is just poetic.

I hope this two Queensland boys will spur each other on in a friendly manner in years to come and develop a respectful rivalry between them, wouldn't that be something !!

imaragingbull
19-08-2015, 06:54 PM
Develop!!??

I think it's already there between them - I've lost count the times they've been paired up in the final day or 3rd round of a championship (yes, I know it hasn't been that many, but enough!). Exciting times for Australian golf, and these two are class acts all the way

The Boy from Jimboomba or the Silver Spoon from Sanctury Cove... I'll take the former, personally!

aussiegaigin
19-08-2015, 09:15 PM
I hope he is a bit more discreet than another golfer winning maidens off the course.

imaragingbull
19-08-2015, 09:42 PM
A good family man, mate!

Few and far between in professional sport

AHLUNGOR
19-08-2015, 10:08 PM
Develop!!??

I think it's already there between them - I've lost count the times they've been paired up in the final day or 3rd round of a championship (yes, I know it hasn't been that many, but enough!). Exciting times for Australian golf, and these two are class acts all the way

The Boy from Jimboomba or the Silver Spoon from Sanctury Cove... I'll take the former, personally!

And Greg Norman, Karrie Webb, all from Queensland !

Ian Baker Finch too ??

imaragingbull
20-08-2015, 12:39 AM
Definitely not Robert Allenby, that's for sure

I think you're on to something there brother A!!

AHLUNGOR
20-08-2015, 01:24 AM
Definitely not Robert Allenby, that's for sure

I think you're on to something there brother A!!

For good measures, may I give you Wayne Grady, winner of the 1990 USPGA , yet another Queenslander !

AHLUNGOR
31-08-2015, 01:05 PM
Well done on Jason's win in the Barclays, well more a thrashing than a win! He may get to world no 1 sooner than I thought.

JASON DAY WINS THE BARCLAYS
Australian golfer Jason Day claims his third victory from his past four starts, winning the first FedExCup playoff event.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/golf/has-jason-day-produced-the-greatest-year-by-an-australian-golfer-ever-20150830-gjbaqe.html#ixzz3kM6b2VRQ
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Well, now that he has won a Major in the USPGA, monkey off his back, he may just have a roll on from here !! watch out for the Aussie summer of Golf !!