PDA

View Full Version : Question credit card transaction

bra2il
12-04-2016, 03:23 AM
Hi all. I need some advice

Around a week ago i had a punt at a shop and paid by credit card .

Now the lady had some dodgy looking black device which connected to her phone .. i saw the correct amount and put my pin in . ( i was too horny to be cautious lol).

Service was great.

Now my issue is that i am yet to have any transaction ( even pending ) visible in my card. I prefer to have this paid and done for asap.

Has this happen to anyone else?

Has my cards credentials at ridk of been stolen?

Do shops process credit card transactions monthly?

Any advice would be great

Thanks

wilisno
12-04-2016, 04:07 AM
If it's an electronic device, the transaction should go through straight away. Unless it's just a scanner, recording device ... ;) ;) ;)

imaragingbull
12-04-2016, 06:19 AM
If you are stressing about it, i would close your account/report your concern and your bank would change your card number - then go and pay the shop/girl in cash.

Otherwise, keep monitoring your account and report the matter to your bank as soon as you notice any fraudulent transaction on the account so that you can not lose any money and prevent any more

aussiegaigin
12-04-2016, 07:33 AM
I have had similar delays, especially when there has been a weekend involved. It seems like some merchants may bulk upload their transactions intermittently, rather than in real time. Not sure how it works, but I agree, just keep a close watch on your account. If it is a long established shop, any scam should have been detected previously.

NaughtyBoy13
12-04-2016, 08:11 AM
Shop wont steal your money. Because its not worth it ! Their business cost a lot money to build. Of course they dont want to lose it by stealing their customer. I paid by card before, but now all cash for some reasons :)

x11
12-04-2016, 09:37 AM
There are actually devices which connect to mobile phones for doing credit card transactions. I've heard about them, never actually seen one irl

Here's one company in oz that are doing it.

http://www.mintpayments.com/m10-mobile-credit-card-reader/

The banks didn't like it when they were bringing these to market as they cut in their revenue streams. Which is why they are not as pervasive in the market.

AHLUNGOR
12-04-2016, 09:46 AM
Credit card payment for punting is a no no to me as it appears on the statement and you never know if the Mrs is gonna get hold of it, always pay cash mate !

But if you must then you can do this, have a debit visa card linked to the savings or cheque account and use it for any punting or internet purchases - and only transfer enough funds into the account to cover it, so even in the event that your card security is compromised , there is No money there to be scammed !

Just my two cents

Good luck

Cheers

luvmica
12-04-2016, 11:01 AM
It could be PayAnywhere Credit Card Reader. Apple also sells one of these that will let businness owners make transactions through an Apple Pay application on the iphone or ipad. I dont think you need to worry at all but keep an eye on your bank statements.

mandingo69
12-04-2016, 11:07 AM
Calm down mate the transaction will eventually go thru under a "fake business name" for privacy reasons so nothing suspicious unless your missus is really smart and googles the ABN, as far as your card being swiped and being taken advantaged of I highly doubt it since it will cost them a lot more to set up a new electronic payment facility at their establishment than they could ever take from one single punter.

aussiegaigin
12-04-2016, 12:19 PM
There have been instances in the past, where a, say, $50 CC spend in a Sydney shop has resulted in a mysterious charge for a few hundred dollars turning up in China or Taiwan. I think this sort of scam has been resolved, but there are always smart cookies out there looking for new ways to fleece you.

Not suggesting that any shops associated with this forum are involved, but we should be keeping a close eye on things. Even bank staff are not immune from temptation.

Hunsan
12-04-2016, 12:33 PM
Just monitor your transactions daily until it is posted. For the 4 major banks, they allow a week for the card holders to decline and reject any suspicious and fraudulent transaction, after it is posted.
I strongly recommend to use cash for any transaction in these establishments

MAX FAKE
12-04-2016, 01:14 PM
If you need to pay for a punt with credit card then maybe you shouldn't be doing it.

It's just not a good idea for so many reasons.

imaragingbull
12-04-2016, 01:20 PM
After seeing the amount some brothers are able to spend, potentially not a bad idea (if no partner) to accumulate Amex points to treat themselves with an Overseas holiday perhaps

Definitely agree it's generally a bad idea and the cons outweigh pros here

the_boss_king
12-04-2016, 03:10 PM
in my own opinion id never pay with a credit card to begin with, always cash only :D

imaragingbull
12-04-2016, 07:22 PM
Yes... My colleague at work, who lives at Paddington, realised his taxi driver swiped his card - noticed $500+ spent at the North Ryde IGA...

He made some comments which I will not repeat on here!!

cuteguy
12-04-2016, 10:37 PM
Cash only and it's the only way! No hassles and no trails.

bra2il
12-04-2016, 10:53 PM
Great advice here guys, thanks. Ill keep checking and from now stick to cash! .

cuteguy
12-04-2016, 11:02 PM
I remember one time at a shop in the city I was waiting for the girls to come out. Suddenly this guy just wearing a towel around his waist goes to the ATM machine in the waiting room and withdraws money to pay for his service or an extension. I just thought to myself. Here he is in a brothel with no money. What was he thinking going in empty handed.