PDA

View Full Version : General talk Cars under 20k

cello
12-05-2016, 11:44 PM
Hey guys,

I'm kind of a noob when it comes to car. I'm looking at buying a car, preferably new or demo, under 20k drive away price.

What should I be looking at?

Currently there is a few that I have my eyes on, the Mitsubishi Mirage 2017, middle or highest spec, the Kia cerato, Nissan micra 2017, or Toyota Yaris 2015.

Would like some opinions from bros here.

What about insurances? Finance? What type should I get? Personal? Fixed?

Peace out,

Cello

Biethestarr
13-05-2016, 12:05 AM
Hey Cello,

My advice / opinion:

Shortlist:
1. Mazda 2 - looks good, drives well, excellent overall package
2. Ford Fiesta (the Turbo ecoboost version). Great handling, turbo engine is frugal and responsive.
3. VW Polo - built like a vault, looks slightly boring.
4. Toyota Yaris - here only because it has excellent resale. Ordinary to drive and own.

Thoughts on your choices:
Mirage - doesn't do anything particularly well. Mitsubishi is dying, just bought by Nissan.
Micra - looks like a noddy car, no-one buys them hence now discontinued by Nissan.
Cerato - buy a $21990 Mazda 3 instead if u want a bigger car.

Insurance: get comprehensive insurance. AAMI cheapest, will send your car to the dodgiest repairer if smashed. Go middle of the road with NRMA, Allianz etc instead.

Finance: Get secured vehicle finance not a personal loan. Watch out for: high interest rate, high application fee, high monthly fees, ask about early termination penalties. Buy GAP insurance if you are financing the whole car. Don't buy the other junk insurance products.

Peace

Biethestarr

MAX FAKE
13-05-2016, 12:10 AM
Usually motor vehicle finance is cheaper as it's a secured loan and it's usually fixed. Personal loan is more expensive but can be variable, so see what suits you better. It's worth shopping around, finance is pretty cheap at the moment.

I found out that it's worth shopping around for insurance as there are some rip off deals out there which you don't want to be paying. If it's a 20K car maybe don't even need comprehensive insurance? But if you have finance on the car, then you'll have no choice.

Don't know much about the models you mentioned but toyota sounds the more reliable one out of that bunch to me.

wilisno
13-05-2016, 12:16 AM
Hey Cello,

My advice / opinion:

Shortlist:
2. Ford Fiesta (the Turbo ecoboost version). Great handling, turbo engine is frugal and responsive.
4. Toyota Yaris - here only because it has excellent resale. Ordinary to drive and own.

Mirage - doesn't do anything particularly well. Mitsubishi is dying, just bought by Nissan.
Micra - looks like a noddy car, no-one buys them hence now discontinued by Nissan.

Insurance: get comprehensive insurance. AAMI cheapest, will send your car to the dodgiest repairer if smashed. Go middle of the road with NRMA, Allianz etc instead.

Finance: Get secured vehicle finance not a personal loan. Watch out for: high interest rate, high application fee, high monthly fees, ask about early termination penalties. Buy GAP insurance if you are financing the whole car. Don't buy the other junk insurance products.

Peace

Biethestarr
Good comments and advice ! ;) ;) ;)

cello
13-05-2016, 12:29 AM
Thanks a lot bierhestarr.

The only reason why I'm even considering mirage and micra is because of the smashing new look they have in the upcoming model, looks like they have a complete revamp on those two. How about Hyundai line? Or if we're talking about ford, how is focus comparable to fiesta?

With the insurance and finance, your advise helped me loads, I will take that into consideration . Much appreciated.

I'm currently with nrma so far they've done a pretty decent job, just wondering if there's anything better out there.

To be honest I'm leaning more towards Honda and Toyota, but not quite easy to fork out over $25k, $22k is probably my limit, quite a few financial commitment to look after right now

tpol
13-05-2016, 12:58 AM
What about the Renault Clio?

cello
13-05-2016, 01:01 AM
Expensive parts if ever breaking down is what's keeping me away from Renault bro

NaughtyBoy13
13-05-2016, 01:40 AM
If you have money to buy a car under $20k I have no comment. But if you are looking to finance a car, dont buy an expensive one or new one.

Because once you bought a new car, the car already dropped half price if you sell it. So buy a good second hand one. Like mine, Ive bought a Honda Accord Euro 07 84,000 kms on odometer. It has quite good options like Rain sensor, reverse sensor, leather seats and heated seats, power back mirror ( this means the cars behind you put on high beam doesnt affect your eyes with the back mirror inside your car), 6 stacks CD players, Audio cable connects with phones as well (but this one need to be installed after purchased)

Honda and Toyota services are cheaper, easier to get parts replace. And they are pretty reliable ! As well as the price won't drop hardly.

There are some popular sedan for you to choose like Honda Accord, Toyota Aurion or Toyota Camry, they are pretty good sedan cars. And as a man, driving a sedan car is better looking :)

Alan86
13-05-2016, 07:08 AM
Hey guys,

I'm kind of a noob when it comes to car. I'm looking at buying a car, preferably new or demo, under 20k drive away price.

What should I be looking at?

Currently there is a few that I have my eyes on, the Mitsubishi Mirage 2017, middle or highest spec, the Kia cerato, Nissan micra 2017, or Toyota Yaris 2015.

Would like some opinions from bros here.

What about insurances? Finance? What type should I get? Personal? Fixed?

Peace out,

Cello

Firstly, if that's your budget, then I'd suggest you look for one that's one or two years old. You'll probably do better.

Secondly, if that's your budget, you should seriously limit your punting! Punting costs thousands per year, so make sure you limit punting to 1-2x/ month.

imaragingbull
13-05-2016, 09:36 AM
Advice getting better as we got on...

It depends on the value that you place on a car, relative to other things in your life (hobbies, savings goals, travel plans, general spending).

Unless having a nice 20k car ranks extremely high on that list, I wouldn't advise on borrowing to buy a car if you can help it. Obviously used car depreciates far less.

Set out a cash flow schedule of your payments and how much you will end up paying for your 20k car, what the value of it is after repayment. Of course add your value of enjoyment that you'll get out of it ($ value you'd pay to enjoy driving your new car)... I'd say that last value you place on it would have to be extremely high to overcome the interest paid and fees

electroman69
13-05-2016, 10:53 AM
Great info guys.
My suggestions.
Check out fixed car prices at pickles auctions online. I have no affiliation btw. I have bought from them before. Check out vehicles that have at least 1yr factory warranty remaining & you can buy from pickles 5 extended warranty. So effectively you have 6 yrs. yes you have to get the vehicle serviced every 10,000km log book service. I had a claim on an alternator with no problem getting reimbursement from warranty company.
Try to pay cash/bank cheque, use a car allowance from employer or novated lease finance it. Don't go personal loan unless you absolutely have to. Even redraw funds from your home loan is better than personal loan.
Go Toyota or Mazda for reliability. These are my personal views don't use them against me. Lol.

mandingo69
13-05-2016, 10:57 AM
Firstly, if that's your budget, then I'd suggest you look for one that's one or two years old. You'll probably do better.

I second this for even with your budget you could be looking at other brands and models you first thought you could not afford.

NigStick
13-05-2016, 11:15 AM
HONDA JAZZ or HONDA CITY LOOK COOL

NaughtyBoy13
13-05-2016, 11:31 AM
HONDA JAZZ or HONDA CITY LOOK COOL

Yeah but they are small size engine, about 1,3 - 1,8 litres and Jazz is a hatch back

NigStick
13-05-2016, 11:47 AM
Yeah but they are small size engine, about 1,3 - 1,8 litres and Jazz is a hatch back

With 20k for a brand new / demo car you can't really expect something good .
U can only have the lowest value car on the market .

imaragingbull
13-05-2016, 11:51 AM
But with limited savings and net worth at this stage in his life... How much does the standard of car matter?

cello
13-05-2016, 12:34 PM
That's true brother bull, I'm not looking for a car to impress or anything, just something to get by and more convenient , I'm of the perception that new cars are always better than second hand, problem fire at least? Wouldn't mind the lower end models, as I don't quite often travel long distance with the car anyway, just wanted the best out of my intended budget

cello
13-05-2016, 12:38 PM
I second this for even with your budget you could be looking at other brands and models you first thought you could not afford.

That would be my plan b, second hand. When going for second hand, is there any preferable car brand that bros would feel most comfortable with? For example Toyota and Honda due to cheaper parts and higher resale value? Also, what would be the max mileage acceptable? Under 60k?

Let's say I can fork out 10k in cash and finance whatever the remaining sum, would it be better still going for 2nd hand?

aussiegaigin
13-05-2016, 07:19 PM
Hyundai currently selling i30 for just under 20k drive away. You get 7 year warranty and fixed price servicing.

wilisno
13-05-2016, 07:33 PM
KIA has more bad reviews than any mamasan or brothels here on the forum, go for it with a punter's spirit ! ;) ;) ;)

deucebigalow
13-05-2016, 09:12 PM
Hey Cello,

My advice / opinion:

Shortlist:

Peace

Biethestarr

+1 on the Mazda 2. That would be my choice.

suka02
13-05-2016, 11:57 PM
if i were you needing a small to medium car and have expectation of budget 20k, don't waste it! Use it wisely. 20k can get you alot of good second hand car with decent mileage, dont buy something with 120k km or over. You could also be spending less than 15k.

I have honda civic 08 hybrid. It's a rare car but very reliable, Made in Japan while most Honda's are built in thailand. I spend $45 full tank unleaded 37L wil last me 600km over or running 6L/100km. Imagine that! I had the car almost 3yrs and during the 3 years i ONLY had oil change done and still havent change my breaks.

It will save you huge $$$ on traveling cost and it's a quite comfortable car and has auto stop engine like the new golf VW Those hybrid battery are last up to 8yrs or more. To replace it cost like 1.5k that will last another 8yrs. The car isnt really that slow.
I will go sign up for uber soon :D

The choice in your hand

Biethestarr
14-05-2016, 01:12 AM
Thanks a lot bierhestarr.

The only reason why I'm even considering mirage and micra is because of the smashing new look they have in the upcoming model, looks like they have a complete revamp on those two. How about Hyundai line? Or if we're talking about ford, how is focus comparable to fiesta?

With the insurance and finance, your advise helped me loads, I will take that into consideration . Much appreciated.

I'm currently with nrma so far they've done a pretty decent job, just wondering if there's anything better out there.

To be honest I'm leaning more towards Honda and Toyota, but not quite easy to fork out over $25k, $22k is probably my limit, quite a few financial commitment to look after right now

Hey Cello,

Nissan have announced they are discontinuing the Micra in Australia, so even if there's a new model out it won't be coming here.

With the Mirage, as I mentioned Misubishi are in trouble right now and haven't been able to spend money developing their product recently so is pretty average. They have just been taken over by Nissan so consumer confidence and resale value would most likely be low in the short / medium term.

Yes the Fiesta is the smaller Ford and the Focus is the small/medium one the same size as Honda Civic / Mazda 3 / Golf etc

If you're not really into cars much then I'd stay away from European options under $20k as higher service and parts cost.

If you are buying used then buy up to 2 years old so it still has factory warranty remaining which you could possibly extend before it expires.

I wouldn't buy a used Camry or Aurion as you look like an accountant or sales rep lol, if you decide to buy a used medium car, get an Accord Euro or Mazda 6 or something remotely stylish (even a Suzuki Kizashi).

Hyundais are okay quality i20 / i30 but are boring and look like a retiree car or rental car.

You said you are leaning towards Honda or Toyota. I'd choose a Civic over a (No Birds Rental) Corolla. Conversely I'd choose a Yaris or Jazz over the under-done Thailand special Honda City.

Best thing to do is test drive to see which you feel comfortable with. Ford Fiesta & VW Polo will have heavier "European" feel. Mazda 2 / Yaris / Jazz will have lighter Japanese feel.

I'm with NRMA and called them up and said can they do a cheaper deal and they reduced my policy payments over the phone! So it's worth calling up even if staying with your current insurer.

Peace,

Biethestarr

Biethestarr
14-05-2016, 01:25 AM
That would be my plan b, second hand. When going for second hand, is there any preferable car brand that bros would feel most comfortable with? For example Toyota and Honda due to cheaper parts and higher resale value? Also, what would be the max mileage acceptable? Under 60k?

Let's say I can fork out 10k in cash and finance whatever the remaining sum, would it be better still going for 2nd hand?

Buy on condition not mileage. I'd buy a car lovingly cared for with 60kms than an ex-rental with 15kms that had been flogged its whole life! Extreme examples I know, but diligent service and careful driving (ie, not flying over speed bumps, stabbing the throttle etc) make a car last much longer.

If you are concerned purely with cost then don't go European. Toyota service + parts generally cheaper than Honda.

If you are going to buy a 2nd hand Toyota then if you can get a GT86 for around $20k then at least you are getting something interesting (and slightly cool) but with Toyota reliability.

asiafever
14-05-2016, 02:33 PM
Ok. Firstly, Kia and Hyundais days of poor reviews are long gone. They are among the top performers in customer new car satisfaction ratings. The bottom 2 performers being Holden and Ford, just ahead of Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler.
I've owned 3 Kias from new and never had a problem. 7 years warranty and fixed price servicing helps. Hyundai i30 is a great car and worth looking at.
Everyone knows someone who has had a particular brand that has been a dud. A mate of mine swears by VW but the one I owned swore me off ever buying a VAG car ever again. Similarly two mates have had euro built fords. One revkons it's the best car he's ever had, the other fought and won a full refund from Ford after his car spent most of its first six months in the service centre with problems. I had one Honda and the servicing was so ridiculously expensive I will never buy again. My 2 Mitsubishis never missed a beat so I'm a fan of their quality if not their immensely boring cars these days.

I'd lean towards i30. Holds value well enough, decent looking, good warranty and servicing.

cello
14-05-2016, 07:06 PM
Thank you everyone!!

After much considering I'm going to go for either Kia/Hyundai

Or a second hand Toyota/Honda

If anyone has a nice dealer they go to/used to go to would be much appreciated.

I live in west suburbs but wouldn't mind to travel further, looking to trade in my old echo 2004 too.

SaltyWetMan
15-05-2016, 11:47 AM
Just wanting to piggyback on the OP,

How much bargaining should/can you do?

How do you guys usually pay for it? Do dealers like it if you take a loan? Do you just bank transfer them 15k?

Sorry if questions sound dumb but I have no clue on how to life.

wilisno
15-05-2016, 12:45 PM
Just wanting to piggyback on the OP,

How much bargaining should/can you do?

How do you guys usually pay for it? Do dealers like it if you take a loan? Do you just bank transfer them 15k?

Sorry if questions sound dumb but I have no clue on how to life.
Bargaining depends on what you buy, and how desperate they are for a sale, like meeting a quota by the end of the month.

Second handed car can take a lot more bargaining than new car, and a trade in also adds to the bargaining power, because they'll make money on both vehicles.

NaughtyBoy13
15-05-2016, 02:26 PM
Thank you everyone!!

After much considering I'm going to go for either Kia/Hyundai

Or a second hand Toyota/Honda

If anyone has a nice dealer they go to/used to go to would be much appreciated.

I live in west suburbs but wouldn't mind to travel further, looking to trade in my old echo 2004 too.

You should have a look on carsales or gumtree to find the car you want. First of all, look at the kms has been done, make year model, prices. Then you should visit dealer to see the car. Check log book and services history, check for any scratches, dents, unmatched between panels. Check all the power options, check oils, cooling fluids, battery new or not. Test drive to see how the car works.

Remember to check services hostory, if the car has been looked after, it should have been serviced on time. Or if you can find any problems with the car, then you can drop the price down !

Littlewonder
15-05-2016, 05:18 PM
Hyundai seems to be good value for money and the people I know that have one are happy with them.

Also the Mazda 2 is good value for money and very reliable.

Bigfoot
15-05-2016, 09:19 PM
as someone who has always worked in motor trade.

from 2nd hand spares to new cars to, dealerships etc.

Always ask your self - what do you want out of a car. Car people know with out asking. Some of us end up with more then one car.

If it's just to get to point a to point b and your buying new and expect upgrade with in 5 year window and not do more then 120,000km's then it does not matter what you buy even cars with 3 year warranty 100,000 any major issues will be covered. Just keep in mind the high spec the more the higher running costs at times.

I always say buy a Toyota because it's white goods. They don't drive the best, ( Except Lexus which I own but different)
Even if you keep it beyond warranty parts plentiful reasonable priced and most mechanics aren't afraid to work on the them.

Mazda 2 - well I know form experience has some minor issue because it's new. = You never buy a series 1 or beginning of a series 1 of a model car buy toward end. Just don't waste money on extras. can cost a lot when failed. They Thailand cars like the rest of the market and lack some of the original Japanese touches in quality.

I like fords the euros' but when shit fucks up 2nd hand shit long term can be new part prices.

Holden - only for warranty and then junk it. Don't start me on captivas and cruzies

Hyundai - good warranty and over all good product. badge stigma is wrong but it is just minor now days less then jap brands like 1 point they a get 2 points on styling.
Kia great warranty and they need it. but they claim some items as wear and tear as mazda or Toyota will claim under warranty.

Euro- deep pockets - and if any things goes wrong - dealers use to buy off me to put on near new cars because it was 3 months before parts was in country. can't say any more.

But with all these cars, just remember the servicing costs, service dealerships sometimes forget when they say oh well we dont' have to do this and that, but it can still void warranty when they want too.

fixed price servicing only works if you are consistent, if you do less km's it can be very cheap.

but as noted , cars are personal. I have car for work, car for sex shagging wagon - car for weekend lux limo and car for race track rx7.
each one costs me a good time with a good WL twice a week.
are they worth it I don't know, but I still think I'd rather get blown daily.

Obo2192
15-05-2016, 10:28 PM
How About a Lexus IS250. Got one myself and running very well. Not that expensive to service if you get Toyota to service it or DIY