PDA

View Full Version : Question Lunar Year protocol

vinegarstroke
27-01-2017, 03:38 PM
A question for the Chinese brothers.

An acquaintance, a Chinese lady did me a favour a while ago and I want to show my appreciation.
Would a red envelope with some cash for Chinese New Year be an appropriate way to go, culturally?

This is not punting related, the lady is a normal citizen, married and I have no interest other than
to thank her.

wilisno
27-01-2017, 05:13 PM

An acquaintance, a Chinese lady did me a favour a while ago and I want to show my appreciation.
Would a red envelope with some cash for Chinese New Year be an appropriate way to go, culturally?

This is not punting related, the lady is a normal citizen, married and I have no interest other than
to thank her.
Normally a red envelope is given by a senior or a superior, if not, better give her a present.

AHLUNGOR
27-01-2017, 05:26 PM

to thank her.

I think it is perfectly appropriate to do the red envelope thing for Chinese New Year and as a specific thank you and you can in fact let the lady know that this is a thank you gift and since you are not sure what to get her you take the advantage of Chinese New Year and give her the red envelope .

Alternatively, you can still use the red envelope as a thank you card but instead of money put a David Jones or Myers Gift Card inside (with the amount you wish to thank her with ). Then it's best for both worlds .

puntercouple
27-01-2017, 05:31 PM
Usually red envelopes are given by seniors to juniors. If you wish to thank her, better buy some presents. If you give her an inappropriate present such as a clock or something, ok sure she will forgive you, as long as your intention is good.

A44
27-01-2017, 07:39 PM
I was in a Newsagents shop today, I asked the Lady if they had any Red Envelopes.
She asked if it was for Chinese New Year, when I said yes, she handed me a bunch of them free.
They were special for this occasion.

I saw one of my regular Ladies today.
I gave her a red envelope with some cash and a phone top up voucher.
She loved the gesture and was surprised that I had thought about the Chinese New Year.
She showed her appreciation in the hours that followed.

I have another Red Envelope with cash in it for another regular who I am seeing tomorrow.

Regarding Age, I am very Senior compared to these Ladies. !!!

wilisno
27-01-2017, 09:05 PM
I was in a Newsagents shop today, I asked the Lady if they had any Red Envelopes.
She asked if it was for Chinese New Year, when I said yes, she handed me a bunch of them free.
They were special for this occasion.

I saw one of my regular Ladies today.
I gave her a red envelope with some cash and a phone top up voucher.
She loved the gesture and was surprised that I had thought about the Chinese New Year.
She showed her appreciation in the hours that followed.

I have another Red Envelope with cash in it for another regular who I am seeing tomorrow.

Regarding Age, I am very Senior compared to these Ladies. !!!
Well ! In punting, you're the one who pays, so you're the boss already, a red envelope is a very adequate gesture. Once we had a New Year dinner with the 5* crew, I gave every girl a red envelope ! ;) ;) ;)

God Member
27-01-2017, 09:08 PM
Last CNY that colourful feathered dude that hangs out at the market city end of Dixon st let me pose him for a photo. I gave him a hung bow in appreciation, but I've realised I fucked up. He's definitely senior to me! In fact I fucked up twice. I'd put $5 in the envelope and I later learnt that it is bad luck to give odd numbers amounts of money! Even under his white make up I saw him blanche when he opened it up.:shout: I'm a cultural bull in a china shop! :shout:

I'll have to get more in touch with the Chinese way. eg. I might see how much landfill I can dump over Fort Denison before I can claim the island as my own. My own island in Sydney Harbour! :victory:

Lenka_X5
27-01-2017, 10:16 PM
New Luna, goddess of the moon :love:

Lenka_X5
27-01-2017, 10:43 PM
Well ! In punting, you're the one who pays, so you're the boss already, a red envelope is a very adequate gesture. Once we had a New Year dinner with the 5* crew, I gave every girl a red envelope ! ;) ;) ;)

Wilisno, do you still go 5 star?

If so, who is your favourite girl at 5 Star from 2014 - January 2017???

I am curious

wilisno
27-01-2017, 11:00 PM
Wilisno, do you still go 5 star?

If so, who is your favourite girl at 5 Star from 2014 - January 2017???

I am curious
I haven't seen too many 5* girls in the last 2 years, not qualified to comment on this ! ;) ;) ;)

ksteve_m28
28-01-2017, 10:15 AM
恭喜发财...红包拿来..

nomoney3
28-01-2017, 03:09 PM
No one will refuse red packets with money :smile:

mihiromihiro
28-01-2017, 04:07 PM
If it is a friend, just give a gift like what you would do for Christmas. Red packet is for kids, young adult that is not married and your staff at work.

rooter
28-01-2017, 04:28 PM
I am just a dumb Gweilo, Laowai, Farang, Gringo, Gaijin, Tay, Bule, Haole, Whitefella, Waegukin, Pakeha ... etc...
I have no fucking clue about other cultures .. I just try to treat people with respect.
I think people understand if you are OK or not ... and if you fuck up and get it totally wrong they will forgive you.
I just follow the advice my granny gave me; treat all people with courtesy and respect

Soccerfan
28-01-2017, 04:37 PM
I am just a dumb Gweilo, Laowai, Farang, Gringo, Gaijin, Tay, Bule, Haole, Whitefella, Waegukin, Pakeha ... etc...
I have no fucking clue about other cultures .. I just try to treat people with respect.
I think people understand if you are OK or not ... and if you fuck up and get it totally wrong they will forgive you.
I just follow the advice my granny gave me; treat all people with courtesy and respect

Words to live by. Rooter, you da man. I like your mindset.

vtori1213
29-01-2017, 01:11 AM
i think its fine, dont worry about the senior thing , its a nice gesture they will appreciate.

The Immortal
29-01-2017, 06:25 AM
Are red envelopes appropriate for birthdays?

wilisno
29-01-2017, 09:57 AM
Are red envelopes appropriate for birthdays?

Yes, a red envelope is appropriate for any celebration.

Lenka_X5
29-01-2017, 07:13 PM
I haven't seen too many 5* girls in the last 2 years, not qualified to comment on this ! ;) ;) ;)

Should check it out Wilisno. Really good new talent now....

vinegarstroke
31-01-2017, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, you have been very helpful. I guess the red envelope for CNY thought was part laziness, part thinking it was a good idea
anyway even though I am sure the envelope would be well received, I decided to give a gift as it is a safe play.

I am curious about the clock though.

Happy New Year.

woshihuangsedawang
01-02-2017, 09:38 PM
for chinese new year, red pockets are for kids without job, so if give a red pocket to a persob with job, its not appropriate. and usually redpocket was give to kids by seniors.

AHLUNGOR
01-02-2017, 10:18 PM
for chinese new year, red pockets are for kids without job, so if give a red pocket to a persob with job, its not appropriate. and usually redpocket was give to kids by seniors.

Sorry mate, that's totally wrong !

In work environment, where everyone has a job, the company or the boss or the senior person will give red pockets to the staff reporting to him/her, boss to everyone and company to all staff!

And at home , not only the elderly will give red pockets to younger people , the younger adult children with income can certainly give red pockets to their grand parents as well as a sign of respect or simply give some money to the elderly for love and also as a treat !

woshihuangsedawang
01-02-2017, 10:35 PM
haha prove i am a not genuine chinese

ksteve_m28
02-02-2017, 08:02 PM
Sound like different country has different practise.