PDA

View Full Version : General talk Fine dining, dining fine

cello
22-12-2017, 11:32 PM
So I’m guessing most punters here have no problem splurging 150-350 per hour on a WL/ML.

So you’re all quite financially stable, if not well off. How often do you dine out? I mean really dine, a nice restaurant with a nice wine list.

Care to share? I’ll start.

Recently I’ve been to the butler at Potts point, a must try for those who haven’t been. Romantic city view if you book a table, good food, good cocktails, didn’t try the wine as I’m not really a wine person, but yeah, anyone has any nice restaurants to share? Reviews on web are usually biased to some degree.

Also, let’s go value for money dining vs punting.

People always say with $400 per hour that’s 4 Punta at $100 per hour, or 2 punts at $200 per hour, but the quality, is it really worth it? I mean, what’s value for money for everyone here? Discuss?

AHLUNGOR
23-12-2017, 12:31 AM
Potts Point is a good area for dining, have not been to the butler you mentioned as wasn't into "fine dining" bit but if you have been to the Apollo (Greek), Cho Cho San (Japanese), Billy Kwong (Chinese) you would have done three of the best 100 restaurants in Australia within 100 meters of each other.

aussiegaigin
23-12-2017, 07:32 PM
I find that the "finer" the dining, the less you get to eat on the plate and the more it costs.

Same with girls, the cheap and nasty MILFs can give a much more satisfying experience than the fine diners.

Brothelcreeper
23-12-2017, 09:54 PM
I like RSL clubs and MILF's. Spend less on food = more $ to punt :shout:

refokkused
24-12-2017, 07:09 AM
Take a WL / ML to a fine dining experience (they all want to try) and you'll generally get a free session so same outlay and result, just a few more hours required hehe

A few of my faves (not all are considered fine dining) -
- Tetsuya (have to experience it once)
- Mr Wongs
- China Doll (nice place out next to the water)
- Sokyo (could be considered as overrated)
- Golden Century (best of Sydney seafood)
- Aria (definitely fine)
- Pilu (nice spot away from the hustle and bustle of the CBD)

Plenty of other places, fine expensive dining doesn't always equal best food or experience. A lot of it comes down to personal preference and preconceptions.

moz
24-12-2017, 12:19 PM
Potts Point is a good area for dining, have not been to the butler you mentioned as wasn't into "fine dining" bit but if you have been to the Apollo (Greek), Cho Cho San (Japanese), Billy Kwong (Chinese) you would have done three of the best 100 restaurants in Australia within 100 meters of each other.

Agree its quite a little area. And I'd add Fei Jai , Fratelli Paradiso, Bistro Rex

khuntong
24-12-2017, 02:21 PM
I’ve been to Spice Temple a few times, owned by Rockpool Group. A friend of mine is the chef there, so we always get some free dishes everytime we visit. Recently they opened a new restaurant close to Mr. Wong, called The Jade Temple. Went there once, food was almost similar to Spice Temple but I somehow like their set up better..

harrycd
25-12-2017, 12:34 AM
Take a WL / ML to a fine dining experience (they all want to try) and you'll generally get a free session so same outlay and result, just a few more hours required hehe

A few of my faves (not all are considered fine dining) -
- Tetsuya (have to experience it once)
- Mr Wongs
- China Doll (nice place out next to the water)
- Sokyo (could be considered as overrated)
- Golden Century (best of Sydney seafood)
- Aria (definitely fine)
- Pilu (nice spot away from the hustle and bustle of the CBD)

Plenty of other places, fine expensive dining doesn't always equal best food or experience. A lot of it comes down to personal preference and preconceptions.

Tetsuya's is great, I'm planning on going again in Jan

Nekman
25-12-2017, 02:21 AM
I like Glass Brasseie at Hilton Hotel. One of my favorites and the food is always exceptional quality.

cuteguy
01-02-2018, 06:15 PM
I like RSL clubs and MILF's. Spend less on food = more $ to punt :shout:

Good point but sometimes it's nice to have dinner at a better restaurant if you want to impress someone. However these days, many girls are dining out at expensive restaurants with the guy paying so that they don't appreciate it anymore. What's worse is not to hear them say a 'thank you'. It's all taken for granted these days.

BigDickAsian
01-02-2018, 08:38 PM
My fav for steak: Rockpool bar and grill
My fav for seafood: golden century
My fav for view: altitude shangri la
My fav jap: masuya and makoto
My fav Buffett: 4 points by Sheraton
But generally I find that you end up paying for the decor and service at real fine dining places.
I think my picks are practical high quality eats.
I don’t drink so these places are always afforadable

xboyx
02-02-2018, 12:26 AM
Fine dining? I can recommend one great place, probably the greatest: Dinner at the Y.
Correct me if I'm wrong!

AHLUNGOR
02-02-2018, 09:05 AM
My fav for steak: Rockpool bar and grill
My fav for seafood: golden century
My fav for view: altitude shangri la
My fav jap: masuya and makoto
My fav Buffett: 4 points by Sheraton
But generally I find that you end up paying for the decor and service at real fine dining places.
I think my picks are practical high quality eats.
I don’t drink so these places are always afforadable

Your fav buffet - 4 points by Sheraton, I think they are now run by Hyatt Regency ! Never been there for the buffet but were they better than the Garden Buffet at Sheraton on the Park ?

BigDickAsian
02-02-2018, 11:09 AM
Your fav buffet - 4 points by Sheraton, I think they are now run by Hyatt Regency ! Never been there for the buffet but were they better than the Garden Buffet at Sheraton on the Park ?

Sorry you’re right it’s Sheraton on the park

AHLUNGOR
02-02-2018, 11:56 AM
Sorry you’re right it’s Sheraton on the park

I had a Xmas buffet once at the Conservatory in the Crown in Melbourne, it was expensive but really good food, lots of variety and nice Yarra River views too.

S2WOMEN
02-02-2018, 12:16 PM
BLACK bar and grill in The Star
CHOPHOUSE in Bligh street !

both amazing for steak :miao:

cuteguy
02-02-2018, 01:08 PM
Cafe Opera at the Intercontinental Hotel has one of the best seafood buffets in Sydney. It's a classy restaurant and the waiters/waitresses are very friendly and attentive to your needs. Sometimes they have dining offers which is a bonus. Worth going there!:smile:

AHLUNGOR
02-02-2018, 02:04 PM
Cafe Opera at the Intercontinental Hotel has one of the best seafood buffets in Sydney. It's a classy restaurant and the waiters/waitresses are very friendly and attentive to your needs. Sometimes they have dining offers which is a bonus. Worth going there!:smile:

Sorry mate, have to disagree. Been there too and it wasn’t that great, their seafood selections were not as extensive as the Sheraton and the fact that they don’t have two seatings during the Xmas seasons said it all, wasn’t that elaborate I must say. But the ambience and services were both very good.

I haven’t been to all the 5 Star Hotel buffets in Sydney but I’ll rate those I had tried :

Sheraton on the Park
Shangri La
Inter-Continental

Seafood buffet at the Star is quite good too but too crowded!

cuteguy
02-02-2018, 02:11 PM
Seafood buffet at the Star is quite good too but too crowded!

Very crowded. I had to wait over 1 hour to get seated. Inside you see crazy people rushing to stack up their plates with prawns and then go for seconds or thirds. It's as if they have never seen prawns in their life or in their country. :shout:

AHLUNGOR
02-02-2018, 02:16 PM
Very crowded. I had to wait over 1 hour to get seated. Inside you see crazy people rushing to stack up their plates with prawns and then go for seconds or thirds. It's as if they have never seen prawns in their life or in their country. :shout:

Yeap, not a fans at all but in comparison to the buffets at my local club, it’s equally crowded and crazy but at a 5 Star price and a 5 Star selections so I don’t mind that once in a while just to get my seafood fix.

BTW, best time to go is very early like 5.30pm !

Ps. I often wonder why all those people especially kids keep getting noodles, fried rice, dim sims, fish and chips and pizza and curry and cheap sweets in a seafood buffets....... lol

BigDickAsian
02-02-2018, 04:17 PM
BLACK bar and grill in The Star
CHOPHOUSE in Bligh street !

both amazing for steak :miao:

Yes both these restaurants are quite nice.
But I find that Black is just a Rockpool wannabe. Trying so hard but not quite at that level.

Utamaro
04-02-2018, 08:18 PM
Pendolino - best Italian with dark and classy decor. If you like an old-fashioned Italian, Beppi's - apparently the oldest surviving Italian restaurant in Australia!

Nomad - cool contemporary restaurant in Surry Hills. Nice food, friendly waitperson and not overly formal.

O Bar and Dining - revolving restaurant on the top of the Australia Square - not as touristy as the other revolving restaurant (Sydney Tower)!

244 Desire Massage
04-02-2018, 09:36 PM
Ah Beppis brings back memories I must book