PDA

View Full Version : Question Anyone's job on the line or lost a job recently?

krnboy
24-03-2020, 09:37 AM
I have been hearing some of my mates who have lost jobs or worried about losing their jobs which eventually won't have funds to punt.

Anyone else feeling it?

local
24-03-2020, 10:08 AM
I have been hearing some of my mates who have lost jobs or worried about losing their jobs which eventually won't have funds to punt.

Anyone else feeling it?

Damn right I am, I'm feeling it !

My workload has tripled !!

So much for my semi-retirement.

Climax598
24-03-2020, 10:50 AM
No one yet I know is off lossing job but I know a few wl/ml are lossing work.

AHLUNGOR
24-03-2020, 11:00 AM
Most of my staff will be gone from next week !

A few of them have been with the company for more than 10 years, well, at least they all got payout.

Riff888
24-03-2020, 11:34 AM
I'm working from home, so far I'm okay.

My Thai partner and most of her friends that worked in pubs have all lost their jobs.

Looks like I'll be covering bills for awhile.

Most of these girls have only enough savings to pay rent for the next month or so. Plus no money to send to their families OS.

But not much different if they were back home anyway.

Sent from my GM1910 using Tapatalk

warwick1
24-03-2020, 12:04 PM

My Thai partner and most of her friends that worked in pubs have all lost their jobs.

Most of these girls have only enough savings to pay rent for the next month or so. Plus no money to send to their families OS.

I am a self funded retiree, I still manage to get some freelance work in the industry I have been in all my working life, but I really feel for anyone particularly small business owners who were doing it tough before this and employ hard working Aussies who they have employed for years and having to let them go , the sex industry will recover, its been around for thousands of years.....good luck to all.........

aussiegaigin
24-03-2020, 12:12 PM
I've been laid off due to my workplace being closed. I'm only casual, so I was an easy reject. I've got a heap of LSL to keep me going for a while, but suddenly having nothing to do, and limited places to go, is getting hard to adjust to. I've been trying to avoid the tag "pensioner", but that might be my next move.

AHLUNGOR
24-03-2020, 12:55 PM
I am a self funded retiree, I still manage to get some freelance work in the industry I have been in all my working life, but I really feel for anyone particularly small business owners who were doing it tough before this and employ hard working Aussies who they have employed for years and having to let them go , the sex industry will recover, its been around for thousands of years.....good luck to all.........

Yeah, the Centrelink queue is longer than ever and their website was crashed yesterday ! hope everyone eligible can get registered in times and get paid to put food on the table !

liminal
24-03-2020, 01:03 PM

The
Reports say more than a million Thais have lost jobs in the last 2 weeks.

Sobering

Extrapolate based on the shitty raggedy ass reportage we are besieged by and someone here ..will surely rear their head and yodel Armageddon

But for all on marginal income future prospects in coming months where welfare and govt aren’t that inclined. Hard.

However who heard the news out of El Salvador

The president has frozen all payment . Including tenant rent etc etc for 6?? Months -and is ready to dish out 70 million to keep everyone fed and as comfy healthy as is possible in these times

A positive story phew

AHLUNGOR
24-03-2020, 01:08 PM
I've been laid off due to my workplace being closed. I'm only casual, so I was an easy reject. I've got a heap of LSL to keep me going for a while, but suddenly having nothing to do, and limited places to go, is getting hard to adjust to. I've been trying to avoid the tag "pensioner", but that might be my next move.

Mate, if you have reached that age and eligible for pension, now is the time, that's what we have paid tax for all our life. and then if or when this thing is over, just cum out of retirement and work again, why not ?

bobbybrown
24-03-2020, 01:30 PM
My business is currently shut because of the law. Scrambling to get something else up and running in the mean time. With the stimulus it keeps my staff paid for at least the next 3 months. If I can adjust to the market and keep operating I hope I can make it. If not. I don't how how I feel about letting 4 fulltime staff go.

krnboy
24-03-2020, 01:59 PM
I think this whole pandemic could last a few months. It will recover but it will take a while. Keep your heads up high and all will be ok

Raybo
24-03-2020, 02:53 PM
Seeing the queues at Centrelink is enough to bring a grown man to tears. A lot of these people have never bothered the government for a hand out before.

I am indeed one of the lucky ones. Our business is struggling to keep up with demand. I'm also about to get my bonus for last year which is very healthy indeed. Just got nowhere to spend it!

Poonhound69
24-03-2020, 04:06 PM
Seeing the queues at Centrelink is enough to bring a grown man to tears. A lot of these people have never bothered the government for a hand out before.

I am indeed one of the lucky ones. Our business is struggling to keep up with demand. I'm also about to get my bonus for last year which is very healthy indeed. Just got nowhere to spend it!

You could always give some charity......

HighFlyer
24-03-2020, 04:29 PM
Can see this may likely lead to an increase in Aussie girls having to dabble in the the industry / sugar daddy sites. As it will be very tough for a lot of people. Got my notice today, so also impacted.

Raybo
24-03-2020, 04:29 PM
You could always give some charity......

Will definitely be helping out those close to me that are affected. Also looking at offering a spare room at my house for a family in a bit of trouble.

mkkid
24-03-2020, 04:32 PM
Can see this may likely lead to an increase in Aussie girls having to dabble in the the industry / sugar daddy sites. As it will be very tough for a lot of people. Got my notice today, so also impacted.

I agree. Care to share what industry you're in sir?

cuteguy
24-03-2020, 04:37 PM
Will definitely be helping out those close to me that are affected. Also looking at offering a spare room at my house for a family in a bit of trouble.

How about WLs or MLs? I'm sure some will be affected if they can't pay their rent to some landlords who take rent as cash only with no signed residential tenancy agreements in place.

warwick1
24-03-2020, 04:54 PM

Good stuff, and I mean that sincerely...stay safe

Raybo
24-03-2020, 06:04 PM
How about WLs or MLs? I'm sure some will be affected if they can't pay their rent to some landlords who take rent as cash only with no signed residential tenancy agreements in place.

i really wanted to cut loose this weekend in typical Raybo fashion, but it is looking like it is going to be very difficult to do. Maybe I will have some emergency after hours work to do, get a hotel room and party with a couple of regs.....

I wouldn't lend or give them money, but would be generous when I seen them. A lot of MLs and WLs have pretty decent bankrolls.

AHLUNGOR
24-03-2020, 06:42 PM

That’s very kind and noble of you brother Raybo , especially in this challenging times !

God Bless

AHLUNGOR
24-03-2020, 06:44 PM

Good on you, some people just have all the luck !

Enjoy !

mkkid
24-03-2020, 10:17 PM
The girls that I’ve seen outside the shop have all had over 30k in savings.

30k is nothing. It will last them 4-6 months. This virus will go on for much longer than that.

Raybo
25-03-2020, 04:06 PM
30k is nothing. It will last them 4-6 months. This virus will go on for much longer than that.

Maybe. Our experts at work are comparing Australia's curve to the rest of the world and it's not too bad. About 4 weeks to hit our peak, then another 4 weeks to see cases decrease. China are at 90% 'capability' from our information and they have been at it for just over 2 months

aussiegaigin
25-03-2020, 04:23 PM
Donald Trump has decreed it will be all over by Easter. All those people not dead or infected will be able to go back to work and make America great again.

Bunty4
26-03-2020, 08:35 AM

Anyone else feeling it?

Yes...impacted....and all new hiring is almost frozen...I get feedback like, too much experience...since when did experience become unwanted especially when one has applied for job and has been called for an interview....jobseeker queue seems to be new job now😉

Climax598
26-03-2020, 09:14 AM
Donald Trump has decreed it will be all over by Easter. All those people not dead or infected will be able to go back to work and make America great again.
Ya! Coming from 'Donald Duck' ape! ape! ape!!!!!!!!!!

cuteguy
26-03-2020, 09:23 AM
Ya! Coming from 'Donald Duck' ape! ape! ape!!!!!!!!!!

He might be thinking that he's running his company or in charge of his show where he could fire people who didn't meet his high expectations. The reality is it won't happen that quickly. The experts are suggesting that the next hotspot will be the US and they too are not very prepared for this pandemic.

23_
26-03-2020, 12:54 PM
Didnt lose my job but my employer had announced all staff were to receive a 20% reduction in salary. For fuck sake man...

AHLUNGOR
26-03-2020, 01:29 PM
Didnt lose my job but my employer had announced all staff were to receive a 20% reduction in salary. Fuck sake man...

Did he specify that this is only a temporary measures and everyone will be back on full salary when this thing is over ? in writing ?

xboyx
26-03-2020, 01:33 PM
I'm also one of the lucky ones who covid-19 actually made my work busier one, trying to keep up with demands.
but have heard friends who are at risk of losing jobs or have lost jobs.

supermarkets, pharmacies are of course doing very well too.

faruk
26-03-2020, 02:37 PM

Have you seen any? Any other ways to find them?

23_
26-03-2020, 04:13 PM
Did he specify that this is only a temporary measures and everyone will be back on full salary when this thing is over ? in writing ?Yes

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

HighFlyer
26-03-2020, 04:50 PM
Have you seen any? Any other ways to find them?

Keeping an eye on the sugar daddy sites to see if noticeable increase of girls. Not so far, guess this will take some time to filter through before we see more girls resorting to extra income activities.

punter185
27-03-2020, 03:18 PM
Keeping an eye on the sugar daddy sites to see if noticeable increase of girls. Not so far, guess this will take some time to filter through before we see more girls resorting to extra income activities.

I came across one lady on onlyfans and she told me she got let go as she was a flight attendant. So now she on onlyfans to keep cashflow coming in while looking for temp job in the mean time.

So I’m sure sugar daddies alike will be flooded in a week when the ML/WL cash reserves start to empty.

Climax598
27-03-2020, 03:23 PM
At least a woman can sell their pussy if out off job.. What can we man sell if we out off job ?

asiafever
27-03-2020, 04:01 PM
Impacted, but was already impacted by bushfires and property downturn before that. Was starting to look good before this shit came along, now I want to go headbutt a bat..
It will pick up, just need to be patient, not much I can do about it at this point.

AHLUNGOR
27-03-2020, 05:08 PM
At least a woman can sell their pussy if out off job.. What can we man sell if we out off job ?

Crime rates will be up, so everyone watch out, take care and lock up at home !

harmsup_jai
27-03-2020, 10:19 PM
I have to say I’m one of the lucky ones , triple figure salary , our company is very stable and I got a bonus of 10k (pre tax) coming up . In addition I get to work from home everyday now until the crisis is over .

Down side is I work 7 days and long hours

Idurian
28-03-2020, 01:10 AM
I have to say I’m one of the lucky ones , triple figure salary , our company is very stable and I got a bonus of 10k (pre tax) coming up . In addition I get to work from home everyday now until the crisis is over .

If you calculate the hours you work and the pay you get, is it still worth while?

I had a few friends partners laid off from their work, now everyone is tightening their belts until this blows over and life goes back to normal in a few months

krnboy
28-03-2020, 07:33 AM

Great stuff on earning triple figures! Though you are working overtime, at times like these, we should be grateful that we even have a job. We have been busy with calls with wait times for more than 45mins. Expect these wait times with every call centre

Climax598
28-03-2020, 08:47 AM

What industries is that you work 7 days and long hours? The only I know is the sex industry which is 7 days and very long hrs.

Crusader
28-03-2020, 01:45 PM
What industries is that you work 7 days and long hours? The only I know is the sex industry which is 7 days and very long hrs.

I guess that is a common misconception for those that simply assume those on high salaries in whatever industry just turn up to a Mon-Fri 9-5 and get it. There is a reason why the expression "selling your soul" exists. We get taxed alot more, under extreme pressures at every turn and are ruled out for anything means tested. My tax alone is almost twice the average Australian salary. It's not as glamorous as it appears on the surface. For example, a single income household of 150k pays more tax than a dual income household earning the same amount. The only difference I see between myself and the next person that may earn less is the amount we are individually prepared to sacrifice to achieve those salaries. However, the drive to punt is probably the same ;)

Riff888
28-03-2020, 01:56 PM
Learn Python, Tableau, Alteryx, SAS and SQL.

You could earn between $900 to $1,200 a day + super.

Contracting, Monday to Friday 9 to 5. No politics, no long hours.

Work smarter not harder.

Deano68
28-03-2020, 01:57 PM

What about farming, we work 7 days really long hours. When cows are heifers are calving it's 24/7.

Climax598
28-03-2020, 02:08 PM
What about farming, we work 7 days really long hours. When cows are heifers are calving it's 24/7.
Oh forget chinese chickens shop

GoldfishMan
29-03-2020, 06:55 AM

Work smarter not harder.

This. However, I wouldn't stop at 9-5 mon-fri.... once you've made a name for yourself in the industry, your can really milk it. I've done multiple concurrent contracts, all working from home/cafe/mistress's bedroom, turning over more than $50k a month. That was crazy, 12 hours a day, 6 days a week of work, plus a ginormous tax bill at the end. BUT, seeing that money coming into my account month after month was an incredible ego boost!

punterz
29-03-2020, 08:20 AM
We've moved to full work from home, but there's a lot of pressure on people's jobs. Stress.

studsg
29-03-2020, 10:43 AM

Work smarter not harder.

Sent from my GM1910 using TapatalkHaven't enterprises moved all coding work offshore ?

Riff888
29-03-2020, 10:52 AM
This. However, I wouldn't stop at 9-5 mon-fri.... once you've made a name for yourself in the industry, your can really milk it. I've done multiple concurrent contracts, all working from home/cafe/mistress's bedroom, turning over more than $50k a month. That was crazy, 12 hours a day, 6 days a week of work, plus a ginormous tax bill at the end. BUT, seeing that money coming into my account month after month was an incredible ego boost!Haha yes I knew a few people like that.

About 10 years back when I had an ABN my wife at the time was listed as an employee, this cut my tax in half.

We rented out our own place and rented an apartment in the city. I set up a home office there and claimed almost everything off tax, including the rent.

I also work 10 months a year to reduce tax.

Riff888
29-03-2020, 11:43 AM
Haven't enterprises moved all coding work offshore ?Nope, plenty here, just look at LinkedIn or Seek.

Offshoring is not that good. Communication, timezone, speed of delivery, quality of work of lack of experienced staff are major issues.

I still get called from recruiters almost daily.

God Member
29-03-2020, 05:56 PM
This thread was supposed to be about stories from those that have lost jobs and work. But the only ones posting are those with jobs and letting staff go or others boasting about how much they are making. Human nature at work! :miao:

harmsup_jai
29-03-2020, 06:53 PM
This thread was supposed to be about stories from those that have lost jobs and work. But the only ones posting are those with jobs and letting staff go or others boasting about how much they are making. Human nature at work! :miao:

I guess in a way it gives confidence that people can still earn money .

Crusader
29-03-2020, 07:46 PM
You pay almost 100k in tax?

117k last year bro. And slightly more this year .. probably alot more if the govt tries to get in a levy to cover the stimulus.

asiafever
29-03-2020, 07:58 PM

Work smarter not harder.

So hypothetically speaking, what would you advise one start on to cut their teeth, assuming they had some time on their hands and were looking for a new challenge? I read SAS is supposedly the "easiest" to learn, but wondering if they weren't just saying that because that's where they started?

Climax598
29-03-2020, 08:20 PM
Don't boast how much you make and how safe your job. You maybe the next you don't even know going to lost your job or die from this covid-19. This world pandemic is going to be with us not 1 month but maybe 6 to 12 months if we are lucky.

Riff888
29-03-2020, 11:12 PM
So hypothetically speaking, what would you advise one start on to cut their teeth, assuming they had some time on their hands and were looking for a new challenge? I read SAS is supposedly the "easiest" to learn, but wondering if they weren't just saying that because that's where they started?There's no free certified courses for SAS that I know of, plus companies are starting to phase it out because it's expensive.

Tableau and Alteryx are click and drag and have online courses.

Python and R are free and lots of companies are starting to use them because they're open source and free.

SAS and SQL are both coding languages, 4th generation but still takes awhile to learn, especially without a coding background.

I would start with Tableau and Alteryx.

AHLUNGOR
30-03-2020, 08:53 AM
There's no free certified courses for SAS that I know of, plus companies are starting to phase it out because it's expensive.

Tableau and Alteryx are click and drag and have online courses.

Python and R are free and lots of companies are starting to use them because they're open source and free.

SAS and SQL are both coding languages, 4th generation but still takes awhile to learn, especially without a coding background.

I would start with Tableau and Alteryx.

English please people ?

Sanji2016
30-03-2020, 09:16 AM
From the coding languages mentioned above, I think Riff888 bro is talking about working in Data Analytics / Science field with branches from Machine Learning, neural network, and artificial intelligence to automated system to govern data entry/extraction, storage, manipulation, modelling, prediction, and the most popular - visualisation.

The whole data infrastructure and utilisation shebang

AHLUNGOR
30-03-2020, 09:24 AM
From the coding languages mentioned above, I think Riff888 bro is talking about working in Data Analytics / Science field with branches from Machine Learning, neural network, and artificial intelligence to automated system to govern data entry/extraction, storage, manipulation, modelling, prediction, and the most popular - visualisation.

The whole data infrastructure and utilisation shebang

Thanks Sanji, me old man don’t know much of these high tech stuff

Cheers

Riff888
30-03-2020, 09:30 AM
You can't be doing that well if you only have a Merc A series and live out in the sticksLol you sound like my old mate Hu6e.

Yes I have a house in the North West no mortgage, 2 Mercs and I'm living in the city with my partner [emoji4]

I also was one of the first owners of the first gen A45, the new model is even more crazy.

Riff888
30-03-2020, 09:32 AM

The whole data infrastructure and utilisation shebangSpot on

I'm also trained in Pega Decisioning, for machine learning.

asiafever
30-03-2020, 10:58 AM
English please people ?

It's all Greek to me too, but I'm a reasonably fast learner so willing to give things a crack if I can focus time and effort, and am interested. If it bores me I have no fucking chance..

Riff888
30-03-2020, 11:14 AM
No, but I am just winding you up...Yep, same as Hu6e/Bury your dead. Since you seem to know a lot about me.

krnboy
30-03-2020, 02:19 PM
After this, the whole world will move into a new digital era. Quite scary to think about it. Most of us are not into computing

Riff888
30-03-2020, 04:05 PM
I don't know you but happy to buy you a drink when this is all overCool, organise it with Raybo and we can meet at C Bar.

Effindahead
30-03-2020, 06:05 PM
Lol C bar.
I love the place and listen to some funny Thai tunes played by a Thai live band after 11pm on weekends. I went there few times and on one occasion me and a couple of friends - one of them a pretty Korean WL sat next to two old creepy men.
One of the men kept winking at her, and she told me about that. I was about to confront him but she said no.
Sorry for being oot but can't help to share.

storry_teller
31-03-2020, 12:35 AM
No more gathering for more than 2 ppl lol
Cool, organise it with Raybo and we can meet at C Bar.

Bunty4
31-03-2020, 07:31 AM
Wow....is this turning into recruitment forum....maybe a good thing to help fellow bros earn do that we can punt more....IT industry is funny, very few like coding rest are into management fluff....old concepts just remarked with new cool sounding words...

Raybo
31-03-2020, 11:35 AM
Cool, organise it with Raybo and we can meet at C Bar.

C Bar is okay particularly for a feed, but I prefer Mr B's these days. Best room in Sydney for having a beer and a smoke and a punt (on the horses and dishlickers) Can't do that in too many places.

Riff, bring the missus, I will bring a surprise guest. 😁😁

Riff888
31-03-2020, 12:50 PM
C Bar is okay particularly for a feed, but I prefer Mr B's these days. Best room in Sydney for having a beer and a smoke and a punt (on the horses and dishlickers) Can't do that in too many places.

Riff, bring the missus, I will bring a surprise guest. [emoji16][emoji16]Mr B's has good food, I remember the parties there back when it was the Mandarin Club.

Lol there's no way I'll bring my missus to meet anyone from this forum [emoji1787]

krnboy
31-03-2020, 05:56 PM
Gotta be careful at Mr B's. Mate got catfished by a LadyBoy and didn't realise it until he told me the next day. Whatever tickles your pickle really

sporty32
31-03-2020, 09:48 PM
Full work from home also here, some pressure on people's jobs, yes, but zero stress, we are trying to stay positive.

Crusader
31-03-2020, 10:40 PM
Id be questioning the salary of those that believe SQL is a coding language. It's for data extraction and manipulation, not for building an app. Tableu and Power BI are largely self service visualisation tools, still requiring some shmuck to ensure people are working with clean and managed data. I'm not even in IT, but data is king for those managers that ignore the fluff and make informed decisions, especially when I have made it mandatory for them to justify, with fact, the reason for the decisions. In saying that, Machine Learning, Cognitive Services and IoT is the way to go imho.

Riff888
31-03-2020, 11:50 PM
Id be questioning the salary of those that believe SQL is a coding language. It's for data extraction and manipulation, not for building an app. Tableu and Power BI are largely self service visualisation tools, still requiring some shmuck to ensure people are working with clean and managed data. I'm not even in IT, but data is king for those managers that ignore the fluff and make informed decisions, especially when I have made it mandatory for them to justify, with fact, the reason for the decisions. In saying that, Machine Learning, Cognitive Services and IoT is the way to go imho.

Hmmmm
What is SQL if not a form of coding language?

It's a fourth generation language meaning it gets closer to normal human language.70470

yug
01-04-2020, 01:39 PM

Yeah, if you are not in IT, you shouldn't say anything at all.
SQL is 100% coding language used by ETL Developers, Data Engineers, Data Sceintists all over.
And it is an absolute must-have for back-end programmers so any apps, websites, IOT, machine learning all use it to varying degree.

kingqxxx
01-04-2020, 06:36 PM
Bunch of men bore out of their mind and have nothing better to do then argue about nothing...
Who gives a flying fuck anyway

yug
01-04-2020, 09:39 PM
Bunch of men bore out of their mind and have nothing better to do then argue about nothing...
Who gives a flying fuck anyway

Yep, you don't give a flying fuck at all.
That's why you commented.
You see the irony?

Raybo
02-04-2020, 09:40 PM
Mr B's has good food, I remember the parties there back when it was the Mandarin Club.

Lol there's no way I'll bring my missus to meet anyone from this forum [emoji1787]

Yeah, I went to the old Mandarin club a bit back in the 90's. One of the original gambling dens.

C Bar and Mr B's are owned by the same mob so food should be same same. Eaten plenty of times at both.

mkkid
02-04-2020, 11:04 PM
Should I learn Python or Rust or Kotlin for machine learning?

yug
03-04-2020, 01:25 AM
Should I learn Python or Rust or Kotlin for machine learning?

<Nerd Talk>

I would suggest Python.
It's libraries are quite mature and extensive.
The learning curve is quite shallow so it is easier to digest.
Plus, at the moment, it's the most popular language for machine learning.
However, "R" is quite popular too.

</Nerd Talk>

mkkid
03-04-2020, 10:06 AM
<Nerd Talk>

I would suggest Python.
It's libraries are quite mature and extensive.
The learning curve is quite shallow so it is easier to digest.
Plus, at the moment, it's the most popular language for machine learning.
However, "R" is quite popular too.

</Nerd Talk>

Thanks bro. One thing I hate about Python (and R) is vectorisation.
I have heard about Julia, do you think it will catch on?

yug
03-04-2020, 05:56 PM
Thanks bro. One thing I hate about Python (and R) is vectorisation.
I have heard about Julia, do you think it will catch on?

Hard to say whether Julia will catch on or not.
Julia has far way to go. So does Kotlin and Go.

As a scripting language that covers a lot of bases, Python is hard to beat.
So if you fail to be great data scientists, you can always fall back on python web development, back-end programming, software engineering, and such.

yug
03-04-2020, 06:10 PM
I have to agree with @Crusader on this one. SQL is more like a scripting language. I wouldn't call it 100% coding language.

But guys remember this... history will show that if you start studying in a field where it's currently hot jobs, most likely it will get cold by the time you reach the market. remember before syd 2000, everyone was into hospitabilty...

I understand what you mean. It does not need compiling so it is a scripting language but nonetheless, it is a coding language.
The point that tips it in the favour of being a programming language is stored procedure capability most databases have.
They allow SQL to have programming constructs like logical operators (AND/OR), control flow (IF/ELSE), Looping, and so on.

Anyway, lets drop this topic. I can already imagine some of the forumers rolling their eyes.

BuryYourDead
03-04-2020, 07:51 PM
I build for a living.
Balls deep in work, still bringing back 2k after a week, minimum.

punterz
04-04-2020, 07:38 AM
Thankfully still have a job, but it'll be getting real tight real soon for many, and not in the good way (considering the forum we're on..)

Climax598
04-04-2020, 01:03 PM
Mark Boris say the unemployment will be 15 to 20% in 3 to 6 months.

kojak
04-04-2020, 02:24 PM
Still working very busy

God Member
05-04-2020, 03:57 PM
Even though I am self-employed I'm going to be fine too.

Because of not having to worry about myself it has given me the luxury of worrying about the plight of many of my fellow citizens.

It was sad to walk past my local Thai restaurant for example and see a handwritten notice on the door saying that the locks had been changed for unpaid rent and that it was illegal for anyone to attempt entry. I looked through the glass and saw that all the restauranter's inventory was still in there that the landlord must be holding against unpaid rent.

I'm sure they wanted to pay the rent but how could they when no customer was allowed through the door. A lot of places can't adapt to "takeaway only" service. Or it isn't enough to pay for their expenses and wages.

I'd walk past this restaurant a lot, and they were good workers. The Thai waitresses were pretty, the chefs made tasty food. On Friday and Saturday evenings they'd set up a pretty scene with a little table outside with a vase of flowers and little candles and their menu to attract people in.

Well the landlord isn't getting any rent with the place shut up, and he's not going to get another restauranter in for the next six months, so either way he's going to get no rent. So why not let them stay there at, I don't know, 10% or 20% of the former rental?

cuteguy
05-04-2020, 04:23 PM
Even though I am self-employed I'm going to be fine too.

Because of not having to worry about myself it has given me the luxury of worrying about the plight of many of my fellow citizens.

It was sad to walk past my local Thai restaurant for example and see a handwritten notice on the door saying that the locks had been changed for unpaid rent and that it was illegal for anyone to attempt entry. I looked through the glass and saw that all the restauranter's inventory was still in there that the landlord must be holding against unpaid rent.

I'm sure they wanted to pay the rent but how could they when no customer was allowed through the door. A lot of places can't adapt to "takeaway only" service. Or it isn't enough to pay for their expenses and wages.

I'd walk past this restaurant a lot, and they were good workers. The Thai waitresses were pretty, the chefs made tasty food. On Friday and Saturday evenings they'd set up a pretty scene with a little table outside with a vase of flowers and little candles and their menu to attract people in.

Well the landlord isn't getting any rent with the place shut up, and he's not going to get another restauranter in for the next six months, so either way he's going to get no rent. So why not let them stay there at, I don't know, 10% or 20% of the former rental?

If a business wants to survive in these tough times, they will need to adjust the way they do business. Yes, it won't be easy and straightforward but some businesses are able to find ways to keep trading and pay their rent.

On the other side, I heard from a friend how he was disappointed that his usual coffee shop was closing up. He knows the boss who is well off and lives in an affluent suburb. He even owns a boat moored at one of the boat clubs. The coffee shop owner was closing up because he didn't want to change anything or do takeaways. That's his choice and he was in an area where there were workers coming out of the offices still requiring meals and coffee. I wonder whether the government should be propping up such businesses that have no desire to adapt to these hard times ahead.

harmsup_jai
06-04-2020, 12:33 AM
That sounds terribly anecdotal dude. It’s pretty hard to adapt a business that is practically banned and people are told not to leave the house. The government isn’t propping up wealthy individuals who can’t be bothered to adapt, it’s about propping up the whole economy to avoid a depression.

I was going t I say the same thing , how on earth are you going to adapt if you can’t even open the shop. Sometimes it’s best to shut down the business and start again rather than hang on and lose money .

studsg
06-04-2020, 12:53 AM
Too many Oz retail landlords have not been through a real rough patch so they have this it's my way or the highway attitude. Same with CEOs here, how many are willing to say they will take no pay until the company post a profit ?

Many true leaders who run big corp like Steve Jobs took no pay until Apple posted profits.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/03/nyregion/coronavirus-nyc-landlord-mario-salerno.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

God Member
07-04-2020, 09:55 PM
I wonder if some good will come of the poor poker machine addicts having to go cold turkey?

This might cure them.

Also, imagine how much poker machine revenue is being lost by the clubs and pubs and state coffers.

mkkid
07-04-2020, 10:12 PM
Too many Oz retail landlords have not been through a real rough patch so they have this it's my way or the highway attitude. Same with CEOs here, how many are willing to say they will take no pay until the company post a profit ?

Many true leaders who run big corp like Steve Jobs took no pay until Apple posted profits.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/03/nyregion/coronavirus-nyc-landlord-mario-salerno.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

True, but no use comparing cockroaches with God himself.

Effindahead
07-04-2020, 10:28 PM

I worked for a company when it had only 6 staffs including me. I worked over six years. I never asked for pay rise. Never request extra pay for working extra hours or on weekend. I was offered once, instead I told my boss, I'd ask for pay rise once the company goes on profit. It eventually did.
The company annual volume growth 200-300k from the first I joined till 25-30M before I left.
I did ask a pay rise just because I was so annoyed that a casual was getting double my salary?!! And there were these mid aged Aussie who have been asking for pay rise. They've worked longer, better and have more responsibility than this casual.
But I was given a less amount that I asked for and was promised will be reviewed in six months. After six months nothing happened and I couldn't care less about it.
So eff leadership.. leadership only useful within your inner circle and only if you have interest in the situation.

mkkid
07-04-2020, 11:52 PM
its easier to negotiate a higher pay when you have another job lined up.
Also super important to start your role on a higher pay - i.e., negotiate hard before you join. Always harder to negotiate after you have joined.

cuteguy
08-04-2020, 03:15 PM
I wonder if some good will come of the poor poker machine addicts having to go cold turkey?

This might cure them.

Also, imagine how much poker machine revenue is being lost by the clubs and pubs and state coffers.

They might need to get some professional health to deal with their gambling addiction and withdrawal symptoms or they could try taking up some new hobbies at home or get active. How about getting a pet (ie small dog or budgie if permitted in apartment complex) to look after?

For those who have received compensation payments and were prevented from receiving Centrelink payments because they had a preclusion period and wanted to claim they had a gambling addiction by withdrawing funds at clubs or bars to reduce their available funds to get onto payments quickly, it won't happen while the clubs and bars are all closed. Can't use the gambling addiction excuse this time!

konfuzion
08-04-2020, 06:47 PM
They might need to get some professional health to deal with their gambling addiction and withdrawal symptoms or they could try taking up some new hobbies at home or get active. How about getting a pet (ie small dog or budgie if permitted in apartment complex) to look after?

For those who have received compensation payments and were prevented from receiving Centrelink payments because they had a preclusion period and wanted to claim they had a gambling addiction by withdrawing funds at clubs or bars to reduce their available funds to get onto payments quickly, it won't happen while the clubs and bars are all closed. Can't use the gambling addiction excuse this time!

Can still play online

God Member
09-04-2020, 12:05 AM
What are your best speculations on how long it will be before the goverment lets intimate body to body businesses back in business?

You wouldn't think it would be a priority for them. The pubs and clubs would get a look in first I'll bet. They are a lot noisier in governemt's ear and not subject to puritanical overview.

Climax598
09-04-2020, 02:12 AM
What are your best speculations on how long it will be before the goverment lets intimate body to body businesses back in business?

You wouldn't think it would be a priority for them. The pubs and clubs would get a look in first I'll bet. They are a lot noisier in governemt's ear and not subject to puritanical overview.
No worry.Prostitution is the oldest profession it will be back in no time. Some are still doing outcall so it will not die easy.

Raybo
09-04-2020, 11:09 AM

I know quite a few guys and girls for that matter that have businesses dependent on pubs and clubs. For the most part, their businesses got locked down mid-March.

One of them sent a message on his organizations Facebook page to all his customers. A lot of people obviously asking when thing will return to normal, some even joking about betting on when it will be business as usual. He set the line at 1st June and is taking bets on it!

Raybo
09-04-2020, 12:09 PM
Business back to normal by June 1. I would put a bet on that it is way after that.

No, pubs and clubs reopening in some capacity not business overall back to normal. BTW, it will be a new 'normal'

Raybo
09-04-2020, 12:47 PM
Hope you are correct but I still doubt it Raybo

Pubs and clubs are a powerful lobby group and are very important to communities, especially regional and smaller towns. Governments will also want them back as soon as possible! This weekend is crucial, I hope people don't fuck it up by being selfish, going out, going away or having parties and get-togethers....

I miss pubs and clubs more than punting!

wilisno
09-04-2020, 01:11 PM
Pubs and clubs are a powerful lobby group and are very important to communities, especially regional and smaller towns. Governments will also want them back as soon as possible! This weekend is crucial, I hope people don't fuck it up by being selfish, going out, going away or having parties and get-togethers....

I miss pubs and clubs more than punting!
And they pay lots of taxes ! ;) ;) ;)

birch
09-04-2020, 03:08 PM
one of the keys to opening up the economy by any significant measure is some sort of treatment or partial cure that can mean ventilators and ICU is no longer required by as high a proportion of COVID patients. Then the Gov't can take some higher risks knowing that most patients can be cared for at the primary health care level and not the much rarer and more complex tertiary health care level. There's several treatments being tested and the best cases for rapid introduction is a repurposed treatment for some indication that the treatment is already approved. Then the safety tests are mostly already completed they just need to determine that the effective dose is also safe.

Raybo
10-04-2020, 10:27 AM
It will be released later this morning but infection rates are up nearly 25% in NSW so it will be a while before they relax rules in my opinion. They have to contain this first.

Up 25%....in what context? All the data I have seen this morning is saying infection rates are dropping daily.

jasonko
10-04-2020, 10:29 AM
my job is safe thankfully

Raybo
10-04-2020, 10:44 AM
It will be released later this morning

I highly doubt it. That would mean 700 people in NSW tested positive yesterday.

trampslikeus55
10-04-2020, 12:17 PM
Up 25%....in what context? All the data I have seen this morning is saying infection rates are dropping daily.
Yes Raybo. Data will show 25 new cases. Not 25%. NSW infection rate has decreased for over 10 days continuous now. Really interesting stat is to try and do the numbers without the Ruby Princess. Then try to do a cost analysis against it. We are killing ants with steamrollers. Still, cannot change the noise. As an aside. My bet will be Tuesday after Queens Birthday weekend. Lib's are getting heart pulpations already about the costs involved. ATO will need its own respirators soon. Still don't know why we are dodging all the bad shit. If we had Italy, Spain, France, Turkey, Iran or UK daily numbers here we would be hiding under our beds. Stay well and stay safe 🙃

AHLUNGOR
10-04-2020, 12:19 PM
No, on the previous day. They update new cases each day in a their Press Conference.

This news ?:

As at 6:00am on 10 April 2020, there have been 6,152 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Australia. There have been 100 new cases since 6:00am yesterday.

trampslikeus55
10-04-2020, 12:31 PM
This news ?:

As at 6:00am on 10 April 2020, there have been 6,152 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Australia. There have been 100 new cases since 6:00am yesterday.
And just to complete the story we have 52 deaths and 2987 cases now cured.

trampslikeus55
10-04-2020, 01:20 PM
Just to illustrate some of the real horror stories. Spain - Confirmed cases 153222. Deaths 15447. Overnight 5002 cases and 816 deaths. UK- 65872 Confirmed cases. Deaths 7993. Overnight 4375 and 711 deaths. Both countries have mortality to infection rates in excess of 10%. UK went into full lockdown 23 March which is just before us. Thank whoever you like but I am happy to be an Australian today🤞🤞

moz
10-04-2020, 01:27 PM
Up 25%....in what context? All the data I have seen this morning is saying infection rates are dropping daily.39 to 49 on the daily NSW numbers.
More importantly it's 5 days in a row under 50.

But I think given the mandatory quarantine now we should be excluding any overseas cases.
What really matters is community transmission

trampslikeus55
10-04-2020, 01:32 PM
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-10/coronavirus-data-australia-growth-factor-covid-19/12132478
Who said the ABC we're not on the ball. 👍 Enjoy Easter the best way you can all