PDA

View Full Version : Question Which country do you think will find vaccine for Covid first?

Carissawhore
14-07-2020, 04:26 PM
Today I saw on the news that Russia has completed human trial but they have not mentioned anything about vaccine name and also our own Queenslanders have started new human trial, who do you think will have vaccine in the market first. If it is Americans I know for the fact that they would make it into a Hollywood movie.

cuteguy
14-07-2020, 04:38 PM
Today I saw on the news that Russia has completed human trial but they have not mentioned anything about vaccine name and also our own Queenslanders have started new human trial, who do you think will have vaccine in the market first. If it is Americans I know for the fact that they would make it into a Hollywood movie.

There was a movie made about a virus starting in HK and spreading around the world about 10 years ago. I guess they could make another movie but focus on how they came up with the vaccine if it is successful. However would any movie about the virus attract audiences to watch it? The whole purpose of making movies is to make money or to promote a certain cause or principle.

frankyang
19-07-2020, 06:30 PM
Realistically america - got the most to gain and they are throwing money at the problem

altvmla
21-07-2020, 11:38 PM
Sounds like Oxford University have made a break through, I'm cautiously optimistic...

holi_day
22-07-2020, 11:10 AM
Sounds like Oxford University have made a break through, I'm cautiously optimistic...

Oxford uni has admitted failure short after they claimed that they can have the vaccine in 10months. So Oxford is out.

I would bet on either China or Australia.

Meng
22-07-2020, 11:22 AM
I would think its Australia

:D

I hope it’s Australia so that we can be the first to use it hahaha.

cuteguy
22-07-2020, 01:55 PM
I hope it’s Australia so that we can be the first to use it hahaha.

Let's hope so but any country would want to be first to get their hands on the vaccine. There was mention of a recent attempt by Russia to hack into various places around the world that were involved in trying to get the vaccine for covid-19 virus.

holi_day
22-07-2020, 02:22 PM
We may think that many countries and medical organizations are competing on the vaccine development. I am not sure how true this is.

A vaccine is typically and only developed on disease is knwon exists for many years and sure will continue to exist after the long cycle of development (average 10 years).

If the virus disappears or mutates, all the investment goes to drainage. I heard a company spent 70m on SARS and didn't get a cent in return. Many will be quite conservative in putting investment in.

I somehow feel that China and Australia are doing this without consideration of returns that's why I bet on them. But I think repurposed drug might be a more realistic solution.

poida
22-07-2020, 02:34 PM
tough task, looking at what happened with sars, no vaccine after all these years.

viruses will always be a step ahead and mutate.

lets hope im wrong...

holi_day
22-07-2020, 02:37 PM
SARS just disappeared by itself so all the development has stopped.

How it disappeared was a mystery. The only explanation is that SARS is a human created virus and does not exist in nature.

Meng
22-07-2020, 03:11 PM
Not to get all scientific on you guys technically SARS is the disease. the original sars which occurred was called SARS-COVID or sars COVID 1 both SARS back then and Covid 19 today are all from the coronavirus family. As a matter of fact COVID 19 can also sometimes be referred to SARS COVID 2.

The currently COVID-19 is the disease whilst the coronavirus is the virus causing it.

What was my point in all this, I can’t remember now lol.

God Member
22-07-2020, 04:12 PM
SARS 1 is still out there, but is much less infectious than Sars 2 and isn't much of a problem therefore. Research for a vaccine to SARS 1 got to an advanced stage of development here in Australia before the crisis abated and funding was dropped. If this research had gone all the way to a developed vaccine all the groundwiork would have been done and it would have been a relatively quick process to adapt the vaccine to SARS 2, and we wouldn't have the present pandemic.

Before this one we had three emerging virus warnings since the turn of the 21st century, and Govt's ignored them by not developing vaccines, to our vast cost.

troubledsoul
22-07-2020, 05:37 PM
Could be the Chinese

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/1955559/chinese-covid-19-vaccine-starts-final-tests-in-brazil

wilisno
22-07-2020, 05:40 PM
Didn’t they say on the news that one vaccine has already been approved and is in production ? And England has ordered 100 million doses, and 20 million Australians will be vaccined for free soon ?

Made in Australia ?

troubledsoul
22-07-2020, 05:43 PM
The vaccine with most media traction at the moment appears to be Oxford vaccine but that apparently leaves Australia out.

It is reported at agreeing to supply 400 million doses to Europe at no profit, whatever no profit means.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/australia-s-role-unclear-as-manufacturers-race-to-make-oxford-covid-19-vaccine-20200721-p55e19.html

sydpunt
23-07-2020, 12:51 AM
Could be the Oxford vaccine as they are the front runner. But wouldnt be surprised if US or China as they have the most candidates at advance stages.

Wish it could be oz so we get it first, but we only have 2 candidates and few stages behind china and US

moz
23-07-2020, 01:37 AM
Oxford has completed Phase 1.
Which is basically a low count test to show it doesn't kill people.
They've also discovered it creates some antibidies.

Much is yet to be proven.
Eg. Will the antibodies actually last more than 3-6 months, will it protect against all strains (and there are already multiple) of covid-19.

The lead candidate for Sars actually failed final stage testing as it increased the impact and mortality rate of some symptoms.

Labia Vortex
23-07-2020, 06:15 AM
I would think its Australia

:D
Agreed.. Australian medical research is always ahead if the curve

rooter
23-07-2020, 09:21 AM
Agreed.. Australian medical research is always ahead if the curve

Yep, and then another country will develop and produce it and make all the profits, as always happens with Australian research.

Jaygee
23-07-2020, 12:01 PM
By the time a vaccine is found, it'll have evolved into something else that needs a vaccine!!

That's just the cynic in me

AHLUNGOR
23-07-2020, 12:26 PM
Could be the Chinese

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/1955559/chinese-covid-19-vaccine-starts-final-tests-in-brazil

I think you could be right there!

Looks like the Chinese are keeping a relatively low key on the matter. Only two separate reports on the vaccine matter in the past couple of months from the Chinese news:

1st, stage three vaccine testing had been sent to the middle east (UAE?) for stage 3 human testing, the testing has to go overseas as there weren't enough active cases within China at the time.

2nd, 900 million doses of more stage 3 human trials had been sent to Brazil for testing.

I wonder between the CCP and the Oxford development, which reign's success will be more likely to benefit the whole wide world irrespective of the country's power, wealth and economic strength ??

sydpunt
23-07-2020, 01:35 PM
If the chinese got it first. They could play the narrative as world saviour (some would say redeem itself, but previous outbreaks were in other countries and I dont see people blaming the country)

Meng
23-07-2020, 01:37 PM
I think you could be right there!

Looks like the Chinese are keeping a relatively low key on the matter. Only two separate reports on the vaccine matter in the past couple of months from the Chinese news:

1st, stage three vaccine testing had been sent to the middle east (UAE?) for stage 3 human testing, the testing has to go overseas as there weren't enough active cases within China at the time.

2nd, 900 million doses of more stage 3 human trials had been sent to Brazil for testing.

I wonder between the CCP and the Oxford development, which reign's success will be more likely to benefit the whole wide world irrespective of the country's power, wealth and economic strength ??

A vaccine to the global pandemic that is COVID 19? You’d be naive to think whoever discovers it first won’t try to use it as leverage in the game of geopolitical power struggle. Regardless of whether it’s the CCP or the US.

It’s a really sad thing but I suspect a vaccine will most definitely be used as a hostage to twist the arms of less powerful nation. Again I think both countries will do it. You’d be stupid not to.

studsg
24-07-2020, 09:58 PM
A vaccine to the global pandemic that is COVID 19? You’d be naive to think whoever discovers it first won’t try to use it as leverage in the game of geopolitical power struggle. Regardless of whether it’s the CCP or the US.

It’s a really sad thing but I suspect a vaccine will most definitely be used as a hostage to twist the arms of less powerful nation. Again I think both countries will do it. You’d be stupid not to.If Australia develops the vaccine 1st. Do we think that we would give it to the USA 1st ? Just like us sending billions to buy USA missles in da middle of a economic recession & record unemployment [emoji848]

Meng
24-07-2020, 10:49 PM
If Australia develops the vaccine 1st. Do we think that we would give it to the USA 1st ? Just like us sending billions to buy USA missles in da middle of a economic recession & record unemployment [emoji848]

Well knowing Scomo, yes we might. He might prioritise US lives over Australian.

I always get the feeling Scomo reminds me of those kids who never use to be cool and then a big cool kid comes along and “brings him into” his circle and now he’s all giddy and will do anything for that big kid to keep liking him and the big kid knows it and keeps him around because he’ll do whatever the big kid wants.

AHLUNGOR
24-07-2020, 11:22 PM
Well knowing Scomo, yes we might. He might prioritise US lives over Australian.

I always get the feeling Scomo reminds me of those kids who never use to be cool and then a big cool kid comes along and “brings him into” his circle and now he’s all giddy and will do anything for that big kid to keep liking him and the big kid knows it and keeps him around because he’ll do whatever the big kid wants.

Mark my words and you watch:

Come November, after Joe Biden wins the election and improves the US/China relationship, Morrison will be kicking himself on all the things he did to the CCP now!

Dm231
24-07-2020, 11:32 PM
I think probably US or China.. countries with most $$$ to put into the solution

Dm231
24-07-2020, 11:34 PM
although from a parochial point of view I hope its Australia

Dm231
24-07-2020, 11:35 PM
Could be a good money earner if you came up with it !

Poonhound69
25-07-2020, 11:59 AM
China has had a head start you can say as that's where the virus originated from. Who knows how close/ far they are with regards to a vaccine.

studsg
25-07-2020, 01:50 PM
China has had a head start you can say as that's where the virus originated from. Who knows how close/ far they are with regards to a vaccine.It would be an interesting call from ScoMo to Xi if China announces it has successfully created the vaccine 1st [emoji848]

cuteguy
26-07-2020, 05:14 PM
It appears to be a race between China and the US to get their hands on the vaccine first. The US has accused China of stealing medical research from companies involved in the race to develop the vaccine.

Vader
27-07-2020, 07:13 PM
Mark my words and you watch:

Come November, after Joe Biden wins the election and improves the US/China relationship, Morrison will be kicking himself on all the things he did to the CCP now!

I wouldn't discount the Don yet.

rooter
27-07-2020, 07:17 PM
Not sure which country will be first to discover it, but it's a sure bet which will be the first country to steal it :)

TheMaestro
27-07-2020, 08:22 PM
I think China will probably find it!

zucon
28-07-2020, 05:13 PM
Oxford enters final trials, so maybe they will

AHLUNGOR
29-07-2020, 02:18 AM
Just came across this news flash from Hong Kong Radio News:

美聯社報道,中國疾控中心主任高福表示,自己已經注射一種實驗性質的新冠病毒疫苗,希望說服公衆在疫苗獲批 後仿效接種。

As reported by the Associated Press, the Director of the Chinese Center for Disease Control CCDC has recently received an injection of a Covid19 vaccine as part of their human trial.

Gao Fu (Chinese: 高福; pinyin: Gāo Fú; born 15 November 1961), also known as George Fu Gao, is a Chinese virologist and immunologist. He has served as Director of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention since 2017 and Dean of the Savaid Medical School of the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences since 2015.

Poonhound69
29-07-2020, 12:26 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2020/jul/28/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker-how-close-are-we-to-a-vaccine?CMP=twt_gu&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium#Echobox=1595953509

studsg
29-07-2020, 10:01 PM
I wouldn't discount the Don yet.We're all very sure Mr Orange will gladly share the vaccine with Aus for generously donating $270billion to USA plus any ADF deployment they want anywhere in the world on the Aussie taxpayer funds.