PDA

View Full Version : General talk How to quit gambling?

Potluck2.0
26-02-2013, 09:45 PM
Yeah yeah i know, every few months the gambling thread rears it's ugly head on this forum.

My punting life is completely private so i only share it anonymously with bros on this site. i also have a gambling problem which i can't share with anybody else so i'm turning to bros here.
How do you quit the habit completely? It's soooo dirty but yet once i've been clean for a while like a month i feel the urge to start again and it quickly spirals out of control until i have a bank account in overdraft.

I want to get over this once and for all! It all started today cos i went to have a punt but found out the shop had changed owners and girls so what i was looking for wasn't there and i ended up spending double my punting budget at the pokies across the road cos i had to kill the time and i was trying increase my budget. dumb idea

yamada
26-02-2013, 09:53 PM
next of porky machine has small pocket, and show the number of G-line.

i wanked couple time with operator of voice:slobber:Pi!

try to change the life style will be better. if you try to increase your budget. try FX or other investment, it hard to make profit by porky machine.

my assistant used to pray for Navajo Porky machine and GOLD SANTA, especially girls does not like gambling person. its depennd on your age group.

if i were try to interest in another things, maybe boat party and visit show or Marine sports.

Good Luck!

Sextus
26-02-2013, 09:58 PM
Next time you are clean for a month, build on what you have achieved by calling counselling services instead of going gambling.

If someone had quit smoking for a month they'd really feel they had an achievement, and it is the same with you.

There may be some practical advice for you from this forum, though I have noticed it isn't short on gamblers, so wisdom from this forum may be even harder to get. There are experts who can help you though.

It is serious, very serious, if you are in overdraft. Money means we can influence events and people around us. Without it, we have no influence at all.

black knight
26-02-2013, 10:02 PM
Definitely seek help, lots of parallels to punting, whereby it can become an addiction

yamada
26-02-2013, 10:19 PM
the trick of porky machine is easy to control the machine. its depend on your personality and life style. some type of gamblers are very hard to quite the gambling.

i only play Baccarat. still keep winning for 5 years. my friend lost 300k by baccarat. :cool2:

yamada
26-02-2013, 10:31 PM
should have 5 bank account your self. one of account for gambling.

Potluck2.0
26-02-2013, 11:03 PM
Thanks bros I took advice and got professional counselling help tonite. I think it was an important step to admitting i have out of control problem to myself. we'll have to take this one step at a time. looks like i can't go punting either cos my gambling/punting budget is one and the same and one of the advice was to get rid of any spare cash I have, can easily give it to wife to handle

yamada
27-02-2013, 12:12 AM
BTW how much lost by Porky?

Travelmate
27-02-2013, 07:08 AM
set up a small bank for gambling only
1. Bet only small portion for each bet
2. Do not bet big in any one hit
3. withdraw money out if you have achieve some sort of profit
4. Put that extra bit into proper investment
5. Should be in front if not greedy

AHLUNGOR
27-02-2013, 09:51 AM
1. Got yourself self excluded at Star City

2. Get yourself self excluded from every Club and Pub that has got pokie machines within a 5 km from home and from work

3. Cancel all your Internet betting and gambling accounts

4. Have all your salary deposited to your wife or your parents account and get a living allowance from them - try that for six months and see how much you had saved then decide if you should continue.

5. Remember all of Travelmates tips for control in case you slipped up - just to minimise the damages

Only do the above if you want to save yourself

Good luck

Cheers

BelindaAU
27-02-2013, 10:32 AM
Ouch, gambling problems can definitely spiral out of control. Most countries have gambling addiction services that can help people in your situation if they need it.

HengDai
27-02-2013, 11:32 AM
another tip has to be: DO NOT LOOK AT THE TRAVELMATE'S WINNING TIPS POST

:P

jellyshots
27-02-2013, 11:35 AM
Find better shops, you at least have a good time putting your money to being happy :)

baby_boo
27-02-2013, 04:11 PM
Find urself a girlfriend. Last year when my gf is out of town, i gambled a lot. but since she is back, i am now too busy with her and completely forget about gambling

Travelmate
27-02-2013, 05:06 PM
another tip has to be: DO NOT LOOK AT THE TRAVELMATE'S WINNING TIPS POST

:P

I fully agree and support

Potluck2.0
27-02-2013, 08:54 PM
All good advice. Thanks bros. @porky I only lost 6k in last 3 months but that's 20 punts I missed out on and I wanna punt not gamble

wilisno
27-02-2013, 09:04 PM
All good advice. Thanks bros. @porky I only lost 6k in last 3 months but that's 20 punts I missed out on and I wanna punt not gamble
That's 20 quality punts ! :miao:

OntheBeach
27-02-2013, 10:36 PM
I agree with willisno, reluctantly, hahaha, just subdtitute your gambling habbit for a much needed focus on your punting habbit, pardon the pun(t) amd see more wl's, with direction and committment if you pursue the wl's with more vigour you will have no money left for gambling,, no gambling no problem.....good luck

mkko2
27-02-2013, 11:34 PM
best way is to lose a shitload... then you will stop for good. I did that.
I lost a shitload... and now i'm sober

mkko2
27-02-2013, 11:35 PM
its way harder to quit other stuff... like smoking or girls

Chucky
28-02-2013, 04:31 PM
You are lucky only $6K. I had a big gambling problem that lasted about 5 years - i curbed it at Easter last year. I still punt now, but nowhere near the volume i was - i turned over close to $10million a year during that period. My mistake was i was lucky alot of the time, but instead of taking Travelmates advice above and withdrawing the profit, i kept gambling - would lose it and then lose more money trying to get that winnings back. It was not uncommon for me to start with $1000, get it up to $10,000 but want to win $20,000 - end of the day, i would have lost the $10,000 profit (probably turning it over 2-3 times) and then feeling like i needed to win my original $1000 back, so putting another $1000 or $2000 in to 'chase'. I lost count of the days i would lose $5000 in a day, when only budgetted to lose $1000 -- but had gambled close to $50K-$100K on the day via turnover. My biggest win (collect) was $40,000 and my biggest net loss was $12,000 only but if you imagine i could lose $2000-$5000 a day consecutively, over a long period of time, it really adds up

Many of the big corporate bookmakers would throw gifts at me and give me tickets to events or take me out places to keep me punting with them - the only bookie i was lucky with was Mark Read (IASBET) where i won $10,000 one night on the dogs and then next night, i won another $10,000 and he banned me!!! Would not accept another single bet off me after that. I think i lost probably $400K in total over that period - and the turnover is scary. As i said, i still do multi's now (outlay $100 or $200 a pop, trying to win $1000 or $2000 + with 3-4-5 leg multi's). I still would sustain net losses but it's alot more affordable (I make a good living) but still sickening when you lose or have a close call (get 4 legs of a 5 leg multi or whatever).

The problem i now have is if i win with a $100 bet and win say $2000, i think if i put $1000 on, i'd have won $20,000. I spoke to a professional punter and he said you graduate in steps, so $100 to me now is like $2 when i was 18 ..... but that is like $10,000 to him. So he will have a big bet, it is $100K + a pop, whereas a big bet for me once was $5000 or $10,000 -- it is now $500 or $1000 (still alot of money, but relative in your mindset). I am still slowly trying to cut myself back and down, it reaches the point sometimes when you are immune to the money or the value of the money - you just want the BIG COLLECT and before you know it, you have lost more than you budgetted.

The successful gamblers (the few of them) win because of discipline. They stop when they reach a target and stop when they have lost their bank -- and live to fight another day. I dont think i have ever pulled out at the very top (i.e. i should've many times gone home when i was $10,000 in front -- but at least 20-30 times, i would lose that profit and more afterwards ...... if i have the right discipline, i easily could have over a million cash in my bank right now.

Chucky
28-02-2013, 04:34 PM
Take Saturday for example - i put a 4 leg multi on for $500. Super Cool, Mr Moet, All Too Hard, Miracles of Life. Total odds were $72, so i stood the 4 to win $35,000.
After Super won, Mr Moet came 2nd. The old me would've bet on and got the last 2 winners but as i lost me $500 bank, i quit. This was an example of the new principle of being disciplined NOT working - as i would've at least won my $500 back if i bet the other 2. instead i didn't bet more and of course the other 2 win. It really messes with your head alot of the time - it's a different addication to any other and i think different to pokies where you have no control over the odds or do form or research. Very similar to betting Sports though, when a team you always bet will win the week you don't bet them.

mkko2
28-02-2013, 04:35 PM
I lost more than $20k last year...
for 20k I would have had so many punts

punting - you lose 300 for some good time
gambling - your losses aren;t restricted at all....

yamada
28-02-2013, 04:45 PM

6k is quite a lot of money, you need to get 5 navajo on the screen by dream catcher machine. I saw couple WG play porky machine before near the CBD BAR.

no need to go to doctor, doctor tell you only common sense and you will understand negative way. always keep positive way to solve problem.

you learned about porky machine, just forget about 6k in your mind.