Thread: Rise is unemployment and impact on punting

Baby Member(留言版初哥)

Rise is unemployment and impact on punting

Suggestions today that up to 250,000 more people will lose their jobs when JobKeeper ends at the end of the month.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fede...04-p577oh.html

Could have an interest effect on punting. International borders won't open until at least the end of the year, so there will be little new fresh supply on the market from overseas. Will more cash-strapped Aussies move into sex work? Personally, I think most won't. Too lazy and too precious. But it would be nice to be proven wrong.

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼) the_boss_king's Avatar
    a friend of mine works in mental health, he told me there was two job openings available at his workplace.

he said more than 1200 people applied for those jobs

99 Premium Member (特級會員) rooter's Avatar
    Unemployment, jobkeeper etc will have little or no impact on Asian brothels.
    Asian WLs come directly from Asia, not from local Asian communities.
    The only thing that will lead to new Asian WLs is when the borders open again, but that is still many months away, or maybe next year.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    I can't believe that we're hoping more women will be out of a job and down and out so as to turn to prostitution so we can fuck them for money....I'm thinking that more punters will be out of a job and not able to afford a punt leaving more quality WLs for those of us still in a position to keep punting. LOL

Senior Member(無間使者)
    I disagree with that projection. The Aus economy is booming. Yes job keeper is ending, but most industries that were impacted are bouncing back impressively.

Most of the people that would have turned to sex work have already done so. And anyone that does end up losing a job will probably find another relatively quickly.

We won't see more WLs back in the Aus market until international borders fully reopen. Only then will there be an influx of internationals giving us a boost in volume and variety.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    There were 1.54M people benefiting from JobKeeper in December 2020, dropping to approximately 1 million for January-March 2021. That’s around 1 billion going into the corporate economy, supporting employment, each and every fortnight.

It will be fascinating to see whether the domestic small business economy will implode, boosting unemployment, at the end of March.

Nobody knows, but I’ll say one thing; Sydney is looking busier this month than it did in December, despite record retail vacancies.

Will punters pull back on paying for sex? Will more girls choose to do adult work? Million dollar questions.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by vitrium View Post
    I disagree with that projection. The Aus economy is booming.
    Booming is a strong word.

Parts of the economy looks healthy on the surface, with the AUD and house (but not apartment) prices rising strongly; but wages are flat, commercial vacancies are high, residential rents are low and unemployment is higher than average, expecting to rise further.

Plus billions in stimulus is being wound back. A return to trickle down neoliberalism is not going to help matters in the short term, not at all.

The domestic economy will slow, by definition, if unemployment rises and stimulus ends, without a return of international arrivals.

Markets are looking strong because the rest of the world is still weak - that’s more a result of global markets shifting funds out of Europe and Asia plus speculation, rather than a vote for Australia ‘snapping back’.

Having said that, we’re very lucky. We’re isolated - an advantage during a pandemic.