Quote Originally Posted by GoldfishMan View Post
In this instance, I choose subservience, because the other option to have a free voice etc, is only useful as a foil to stop the governing body from exacting some sort of undeserved benefit out of a situation.

This is an outbreak in the middle of a pandemic. What sort of "undeserved benefit" can the government get out of locking people down? There is none.

You simply cannot use the same tool to solve all problems, ok? Freedom and free speech has to take a backseat now and let the government do its job. We all need to function as a single entity to beat this virus!
Once again I don't disagree, however "free speech" should never be curtailed as long its constructive in it's use.

There is only one tool that society has, stay away from each other until out natural immune response kills it off. Protect those who do not have this immune response and devise therapies that help that immune response. It's up to the individual to realise this and take responsibility for themselves. Some see this as handing over total control to the govt which is undesirable, some feel induced to rely on govt, another undesirable response. Some feel manipulated, social engineering being the intent. Some are simply oblivious to anything until it hits them in the back of head. If we all thought the same, maybe forced to think the same, we are all eventually doomed to a dystopian twilight.

I think the protests are dumb, most protests are dumb: organised by people smart enough to stay in the background and let others get arrested. The protests usually have political intent which the "troops" are too dumb to realise.