Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Golden Century goes into administration

Senior Member(無間使者)
    They do have another restaurant at the Star

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogeryou View Post
    Agree best in Sydney and in the early days before it got banned the drunken prawns.
    gotcha the food. Not the punters

had been a fave late night food place

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Golden Century administrator Desmond Teng tells me he's confident the iconic Sydney seafood haunt can be restructured and re-opened, possibly in a new location, once lockdowns ease. But confirms he had to "terminate" 60 staff with full entitlements
    https://twitter.com/Peter_F_Ryan/sta...03248344797184

Not sure if the current owners of the GC are still the same group of people which include the boss of the old BBQ King on Goulburn St.

Up until end of 2019, Golden Century would have been the most successful and profitable restaurant in Chinatown if not all of Sydney. You would think they had bought the building right out already .

Anyway. They had plenty of money that’s for sure .

99 King Member (帝皇會員) Travelmate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AHLUNGOR View Post
    Not sure if the current owners of the GC are still the same group of people which include the boss of the old BBQ King on Goulburn St.

Up until end of 2019, Golden Century would have been the most successful and profitable restaurant in Chinatown if not all of Sydney. You would think they had bought the building right out already .

Anyway. They had plenty of money that’s for sure .
    I have known the owner for a while.
    In the current circumstance, most restaurant with large scale prefer shut door. You can always reopen again when the time is right.

Some successful businessman they don't mind losing face. Making profit is much more important.

I have been their customer since very old day when they are a little small restaurant next to old CAMPBO restaurant . Time flies.

Quote Originally Posted by Travelmate View Post
    I have known the owner for a while.
    In the current circumstance, most restaurant with large scale prefer shut door. You can always reopen again when the time is right.

Some successful businessman they don't mind losing face. Making profit is much more important.

I have been their customer since very old day when they are a little small restaurant next to old CAMPBO restaurant . Time flies.

Yeap, a real success story to say the least. Used to be one single shop on Sussex St, popular because they stayed open until early morning hours for 宵夜 late night supper. Then they expanded and took the shop next door and doubled the size. Then they moved to the current site with one floor and the rest was history, good on them.

Ps. Haha, 金堡餐廳!that was the good old days !

99 King Member (帝皇會員)
    The article mentions something about the lease expiring, and going into administration is not the end of the world. There is the opportunity to restructure and reappear elsewhere in the future.

I hope Spicy Joint and the malatang place on Dixon St survive.

The food court downstairs in Dixon House has completely shut down after the first lockdown.

Lots of BBQ and hotpot places can't do any business and malatang is not the same as takeaway.

But business will boom once we finally get over this once a for all.

Sent from my GM1910 using Tapatalk

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    The owners of GC are multi millionaires, they even own their own patch of a vineyard in France and import the wine under their own label, so no doubt they'll be back after the lockdowns end. For them its a great way to clear all their debts and start again debt free, unlike others who have probably lost alot more.
    My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity.

99 Premium Member (特級會員) rooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dotcumdotinyou View Post
    The owners of GC are multi millionaires, they even own their own patch of a vineyard in France and import the wine under their own label, so no doubt they'll be back after the lockdowns end. For them its a great way to clear all their debts and start again debt free, unlike others who have probably lost alot more.
    Exactly. It's a shame the Golden Century is closed because it is a Sydney icon.
    But I wouldn't feel sorry for the owners.
    They have been raking in the big profits for many years and good luck to them, they worked hard and provided great food and great times for Sydneysiders and tourists for many years.
    And I am sure they will be back in some shape or form again after the lockdown.
    There are many small businesses and sole traders and workers who are doing it much tougher

99 King Member (帝皇會員) GoldfishMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Riff888 View Post
    I hope Spicy Joint and the malatang place on Dixon St survive.

The food court downstairs in Dixon House has completely shut down after the first lockdown.

Lots of BBQ and hotpot places can't do any business and malatang is not the same as takeaway.

But business will boom once we finally get over this once a for all.

Think you mean the malatang place on corner of Sussex & Liverpool. I loved that place not for the food, but for all the hotties that used to go there. They would always grab a seat at the windows and show off their lovely legs to passerbys. Amazing!
    A bit of trivia if you're a fan: this malatang was sold by the original owners a year or 2 ago. After selling it, the owners opened another shop on George St along the block between World Square and Capitol Square. This new shop is actually rated higher than the OG shop now.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldfishMan View Post
    Think you mean the malatang place on corner of Sussex & Liverpool. I loved that place not for the food, but for all the hotties that used to go there. They would always grab a seat at the windows and show off their lovely legs to passerbys. Amazing!
    A bit of trivia if you're a fan: this malatang was sold by the original owners a year or 2 ago. After selling it, the owners opened another shop on George St along the block between World Square and Capitol Square. This new shop is actually rated higher than the OG shop now.
    That place on the corner is good but I've been going to Chungking Malatang on Dixon St since they opened late last year after the first lockdown.

It's the same chain as the one in Burwood I think.

They have more soup varieties, fresh ingredients and no minimum charge.

I really hope they survive, the owner is really nice.Screenshot_20210823-100515.jpg

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    For gc, I thought the head chef was the most important person

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼) the_boss_king's Avatar
    ill miss this place... i remember back in the days we'd go babylon then gc for a feed afterwards.... good times

99 King Member (帝皇會員)
    Just heard on the news that GC's creditors had agreed to a scheme of arrangement to keep the restaurant trading.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiegaigin View Post
    Just heard on the news that GC's creditors had agreed to a scheme of arrangement to keep the restaurant trading.
    I hope it comes back. I miss this place

99 King Member (帝皇會員)
    I see that Marigold is also closing its doors soon.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/...01-p5952x.html

Quote Originally Posted by aussiegaigin View Post
    I see that Marigold is also closing its doors soon.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/...01-p5952x.html
    Oh no, I have to get one more yum cha in.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Not many of the old school places left with bbq King, Golden century and now marigold gone. Only east ocean and emperors garden left.

Quote Originally Posted by ssfc View Post
    Not many of the old school places left with bbq King, Golden century and now marigold gone. Only east ocean and emperors garden left.
    Golden Century escaped, so they will be around.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast