Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Post apocalypse

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy View Post
    Iceland has 86% fully vaccinated.. Currently experiencing its worst outbreak since the pandemic began...
    Yes, and the population is just a little bigger than Canberra.

99 Premium Member (特級會員)
    Iceland has 86% fully vaccinated.. Currently experiencing its worst outbreak since the pandemic began...
    Vaccination is about reducing severe symptoms of the disease. Doesn't mean the vaccine doesn't work..

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile..../idUSL1N2P918F

Please read the above.

99 Premium Member (特級會員) rooter's Avatar
    Here is a message from QANTAS sent out today.

Sounds a bit optimistic. I think it's just a public relations exercise, but anyway here it is ..

With vaccinations continuing to roll out across Australia, we are getting ready to reunite our customers with their family, friends, colleagues and favourite destinations around the globe.

Based on the current vaccination projection rates and the Australian Government’s plan for reopening borders, we are preparing for Qantas and Jetstar international flights to resume as follows:
    • From mid-December 2021, between Australia and Fiji, Singapore, the United States, Japan, United Kingdom and Canada.*
    • From mid-December 2021, between Australia and New Zealand in line with the anticipated restart of the trans-Tasman travel bubble.*
    • From mid-February 2022, between Australia and Hong Kong.*
    • From April 2022 onwards, between Australia and cities including Bali, Jakarta, Manila, Bangkok, Phuket, Ho Chi Minh City and Johannesburg.*

This remains dependent on Government decisions in coming months, so we’ll keep you updated if the plans change.

* Subject to Government and Regulatory approval.

The last two sentences are probably the most important so I have made them bold.

Quote Originally Posted by adahar View Post
    The vaccines are designed to prevent deaths, and they probably will.
    Could you be honest with yourself and stop writing vague airy fairy words like "designed", "probably"

"designed" to forward your agenda whatever the fuck that is because I can't figure it out.

We are all humble, or should be, towards the facts. So I'll re-word it on your behalf according to the facts.

"The vaccines prevent deaths. They do."

I'll even underline the fucker.

Confirmed deaths from covid in Iceland this month - ZERO, NOUGHT, NIL, NADA, A BIG ROUND DOUGHNUT.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
    Could you be honest with yourself and stop writing vague airy fairy words like "designed", "probably"

"designed" to forward your agenda whatever the fuck that is because I can't figure it out.

We are all humble, or should be, towards the facts. So I'll re-word it on your behalf according to the facts.

"The vaccines prevent deaths. They do."

I'll even underline the fucker.
    There have been a number of reports that reveal some deaths in spite of being fully vaccinated.

"As of Aug. 2, more than 164 million people in the United States were fully vaccinated against Covid-19, according to the CDC. Fewer than 0.001% of those individuals — 1,507 people — died and fewer than 0.005% — 7,101 people — were hospitalized with Covid-19."

The underlined claim is not a fact as worded and requires qualification however the numbers are a very small proportion and can be disregarded, unless you're one of the 1507. Then it's a bummer.

I'm sorry if you find some words "vague and airy fairy" but that's your problem, not mine. I don't have an "agenda" other than an analysis and rationalisation of the facts before me. As facts change, as they will with an ever evolving virus and clinical outcomes, then I will change accordingly. If my opinion doesn't fit with your idea of an "agenda" then it's fine to discuss but please, doing it with an angry tone and abuse is not helpful.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by adahar View Post
    The underlined claim is not a fact as worded and requires qualification ... "
    No, the claim was that vaccination prevents deaths, not that vaccination prevents ALL deaths. That's a fact AFAIK.

I found the statement quite clear, I didn't find it required qualification.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterWhippy View Post
    No, the claim was that vaccination prevents deaths, not that vaccination prevents ALL deaths. That's a fact AFAIK.

I found the statement quite clear, I didn't find it required qualification.
    Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodingers_cat.svg.jpg

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by rooter View Post
    Here is a message from QANTAS sent out today.

Sounds a bit optimistic. I think it's just a public relations exercise, but anyway here it is ..

With vaccinations continuing to roll out across Australia, we are getting ready to reunite our customers with their family, friends, colleagues and favourite destinations around the globe.

Based on the current vaccination projection rates and the Australian Government’s plan for reopening borders, we are preparing for Qantas and Jetstar international flights to resume as follows:
    • From mid-December 2021, between Australia and Fiji, Singapore, the United States, Japan, United Kingdom and Canada.*
    • From mid-December 2021, between Australia and New Zealand in line with the anticipated restart of the trans-Tasman travel bubble.*
    • From mid-February 2022, between Australia and Hong Kong.*
    • From April 2022 onwards, between Australia and cities including Bali, Jakarta, Manila, Bangkok, Phuket, Ho Chi Minh City and Johannesburg.*

This remains dependent on Government decisions in coming months, so we’ll keep you updated if the plans change.

* Subject to Government and Regulatory approval.

The last two sentences are probably the most important so I have made them bold.
    Qantas released this today when they announced a loss of profits. This was done so they could get their shares to rise. They have done this previously, however what Qantas wants is academic as the Feds will announce what and when travel will commence.

99 King Member (帝皇會員) GoldfishMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    Qantas released this today when they announced a loss of profits. This was done so they could get their shares to rise. They have done this previously, however what Qantas wants is academic as the Feds will announce what and when travel will commence.
    Yeah I was just gonna say that. A publicly listed company is the last place you would expect to get unbiased opinions or expectations.

99 King Member (帝皇會員) GoldfishMan's Avatar
    Need to rant about how stupid the vaccination roll out is. If you go to the NSW gov website to book your vaccination, you are then forced to pick 2 appointment times for doses 1 & 2. Problem #1 here is, you cannot book ANY appointment if you cannot get a slot for one of the doses. Say you get a slot for dose 1, cannot get a slot for dose 2, that's it you're fucked. Who the fuck thought up this stupid system? The wait time between doses is up to 3 months, what if more vaccines become available in 1 months time? We just wasted 1 month not administering any dose to a whole lot of people simply because there was no second dose available now??
    Problem #2: what about those people who have had an AZ 1st shot, had an allergic reaction, and therefore need only 1 more shot of Pfizer? Also fucked huh?

What a complete cock up this is!

Why not try ringing up any one of the chemists administering the vaccine. They won't be govt beaucratic at all.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    From what I understand the root cause of Australia's long, slow, damaging, but less deadly slog out of COVID-19 can be traced back to our long-held pride in obtaining medicines for less than what most of the western world pay for them. Basically we weren't prepared to let Pfizer or AZ get their hands into the lolly jar and pay up for a greater share of vaccines.

So the manufacturers played hard ball and constrained our supplies. That is until CSL was able to leverage the Gov't incentives and get a manufacturing licence for AZ. Then the next big fuck-up was the poor handling of one of the rarest possible side effects of AZ - so right after they solve the vaccine shortage crisis they create a wholly more difficult to solve, vaccine hesitancy crisis. All that happened over a year ago now.

Baby Member(留言版初哥)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldfishMan View Post
    Need to rant about how stupid the vaccination roll out is. If you go to the NSW gov website to book your vaccination, you are then forced to pick 2 appointment times for doses 1 & 2. Problem #1 here is, you cannot book ANY appointment if you cannot get a slot for one of the doses. Say you get a slot for dose 1, cannot get a slot for dose 2, that's it you're fucked. Who the fuck thought up this stupid system? The wait time between doses is up to 3 months, what if more vaccines become available in 1 months time? We just wasted 1 month not administering any dose to a whole lot of people simply because there was no second dose available now??
    Problem #2: what about those people who have had an AZ 1st shot, had an allergic reaction, and therefore need only 1 more shot of Pfizer? Also fucked huh?

What a complete cock up this is!
    Agreed. I also tried this and gave up. I’ve had my two Pfizer shots by going through Sonic Health: https://www.sonicvaccinations.com.au/make-a-booking/

You can book the two jabs separately so you don’t have the same issues as the NSW gov site. Of course it’s probably still best to book the second jab at the same time as you book the first to make sure there’s availability. But you have greater flexibility if the dates don’t align perfectly. The other tip, if you can’t find a date that works for you, is to keep coming back to the site and as sometimes they have cancellations so they make those booking times available again. Hope that helps.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Confirmed deaths from covid in Iceland this month - ZERO, NOUGHT, NIL, NADA, A BIG ROUND DOUGHNUT.
    They had a death yesterday, confirmed..

They had a death yesterday, confirmed..
    That would be the first death in 3 months.
    It makes sense.
    Given that over 10% of the population are still unvaccinated it makes sense that there would be a death sooner or later.
    I would bet the person who died was unvaccinated.
    And even if he was vaccinated, one death in 3 months in a population of 350,000 people with no lockdowns and most businesses operating and people working and travelling is a pretty good result.

Banned
    It seems now that the NSW govt has moved on to a management phase running up to the relaxation of restrictions by mid December. It's unlikely there will any major change to the lockdown conditions unless the daily case load takes a dramatic fall. It falls to the vaccination rate to dictate restriction removal.

The number of exposure sites listed in the Sydney metropolitan area has fallen to 15 although there are a lot more cases here than that might suggest. They are now relying on QR check in's to drive testing lists for contact tracing rather than listing exposure sites to capture potential "unknown" transmission events. They have already admitted that retail has a low exposure risk and have published the following criteria:-

"In metropolitan Sydney, contact tracing will now focus on people potentially exposed to a case:

in their household
    at work
    in a high-risk facility, such as:
    healthcare or aged care facility
    school
    childcare centre
    any location where transmission has been identified or is considered to be likely to occur."

This probably means that secondary casual contacts and those further downstream will only be contacted if a QR check in exists and is likely to be considered a low priority. It also may mean that efforts to reduce the case load by TTIQ are now secondary to vaccine implementation in the short term. By mid December TTIQ is likely to receive more internal focus as a system that will be refined and improved to become the primary covid management tool of Public Health. None of this will go away, ever. There's another pandemic in the future and this is the construction phase of the systems to cope with it. Expect legislation to formalise a lot of this within the next couple of years.

Wipe your shoes on the "Welcome mat" of future normality as you glance over your shoulder to see small freedoms, privacy and personal choice you once had fade into the past.

Baby Member(留言版初哥)
    Have a strong case of blue balls, first forum post - though a lurker.

Whats everyones' guess on the opening date for massage parlours and FS?

Banned
    That would be the first death in 3 months.
    It makes sense.
    Given that over 10% of the population are still unvaccinated it makes sense that there would be a death sooner or later.
    I would bet the person who died was unvaccinated.
    And even if he was vaccinated, one death in 3 months in a population of 350,000 people with no lockdowns and most businesses operating and people working and travelling is a pretty good result.
    Not quite as free and easy as you suggest:-

https://www.government.is/government/covid-19/#actions

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast