Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Post apocalypse

Banned
    Responding to a question in QT today, Morrison said (I'm paraphrasing) "home quarantine is part of the National Plan and will allow fully vaccinated aussies to come home and be able to travel when international borders are open".

I take that to mean that going for a holiday overseas will require a two week home quarantine stay (or worse) upon return. Not sure how many people will be able to stump up 2 weeks at home out of their annual leave in order to enjoy a trip to Bali. Of course, those that can work from home might not be affected. Tough luck if you can't.

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    When are the reporters gonna ask, will rnt be opened if we are fully vaccinated?

Gladys will probably say, if you can do it outdoors safely, we'll open

Baby Member(留言版初哥)
    Quote Originally Posted by tpol View Post
    When are the reporters gonna ask, will rnt be opened if we are fully vaccinated?

99 Premium Member (特級會員) rooter's Avatar

It's not even a joke bro!
    A few weeks ago a reporter asked Brad Hazzard about the singles bubble and he replied that they should catch up in the backyard or on the balcony! WTF? Does he think they are just gonna have a cup of tea and biscuit together? Or maybe Brad is an exhibitionist?

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Do you guys really think we can get 70% vaccinated by mid October? I like to be optimistic but this is REALLY optimistic. I'd say if we can get to this point by Christmas it will be good! I hope I'm wrong!

And the plan it seems the plan is still unclear once we reach this 70-80% rate.

If Gladys, Scott etc... don't know they are living on another planet. They had so much time to think about it. And if they know the plan why don't they tell us? So we could roughly know when things open! We've been in the fog for 2 months now!

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    If you trust these guys 80% fully vaccinated in nsw for over 16yo by 7th Oct

https://mobile.twitter.com/covidbaseau?lang=en

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    The govt is taking the assumption that if the you have taken the 1st dose, you will most likely take the 2nd

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    This doesnt include all the ppl who caught covid and will not need the vaccine

The flaw though is that the ppl who took astra 2nd shot after only 4 weeks might end up in hospital if they catch covid

The study found leaving less than six weeks between the initial shot and the booster gave 55.1 per cent efficacy (protection from symptomatic disease). Leaving 6-8 weeks between shots increased efficacy to 59.9 per cent, and waiting 9-11 weeks, efficacy was 63.7 per cent.

However, if the gap was 12 weeks or longer efficacy jumped to 81.3 per cent.

https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/when-should-you-take-astrazeneca-second-dose-here-s-what-evidence-says-121071000238_1.html

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by adahar View Post
    Responding to a question in QT today, Morrison said (I'm paraphrasing) "home quarantine is part of the National Plan and will allow fully vaccinated aussies to come home and be able to travel when international borders are open".

I take that to mean that going for a holiday overseas will require a two week home quarantine stay (or worse) upon return. Not sure how many people will be able to stump up 2 weeks at home out of their annual leave in order to enjoy a trip to Bali. Of course, those that can work from home might not be affected. Tough luck if you can't.
    Glad someone is reading between the lines and don't forget the new quarentine facilities that are currently under construction and won't be ready until the first quarter next year.. If international borders are opening its not going to be without mandatory quarentine..

99 King Member (帝皇會員) GoldfishMan's Avatar
    This doesnt include all the ppl who caught covid and will not need the vaccine

The flaw though is that the ppl who took astra 2nd shot after only 4 weeks might end up in hospital if they catch covid

The study found leaving less than six weeks between the initial shot and the booster gave 55.1 per cent efficacy (protection from symptomatic disease). Leaving 6-8 weeks between shots increased efficacy to 59.9 per cent, and waiting 9-11 weeks, efficacy was 63.7 per cent.

However, if the gap was 12 weeks or longer efficacy jumped to 81.3 per cent.

https://www.business-standard.com/ar...1000238_1.html
    Yes, it is because the AZ uses adenoviral vector technology to deliver the genetic code for the COVID spike protein. Adenovirus is just like the virus that causes the common cold. When you get your first shot of AZ, your body will build up immunity against the adenovirus itself. If you then get the second shot too early, that immunity built up from the first shot will instantly kill the adenovirus in the second shot before it could finish the job. That is why it is advisable to wait for that long before getting the second AZ shot, so that your own adenovirus immunity dissipates enough for you to get infected by it again. You need to actually get a bit sick from that jab to know it has had an effect
    The other thing to keep in mind is not to be fooled by these percentages of effectiveness. 55% effective does not mean everyone will get 55% resistance against COVID. It means 55% of people will get the vaccine effect, 45% will get nothing because the adenovirus failed to infect them. It's very much a yes or no, not in between.

After researching adenoviral vector vaccines in more detail, I'm more and more convinced the Gov is completely ignorant to how these things actually work. For them to push us to take the second shot earlier to give us "at least some" protection earlier is a big mistake.

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    I have had both shots of Pfizer. Both times, besides the feeling of a bruise at the injection pt, I've had no side effect. Not even a headache. Did they inject me with a placebo ?

Az is also a chimp virus

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    The pollies were basing the call on atagis advice. I wonder if they were pressured

Ppl who got Az should get a 3rd booster. Though I have no scientific facts based on that

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy View Post
    Glad someone is reading between the lines and don't forget the new quarentine facilities that are currently under construction and won't be ready until the first quarter next year.. If international borders are opening its not going to be without mandatory quarentine..
    It will be interesting to see how much it'll cost to stay in one of those facilities. I bet it won't be cheap! I doubt the govt will run these, rather outsource them to a private entity. Looks like a good opportunity for someone, although that's probably already been decided.

I have had both shots of Pfizer. Both times, besides the feeling of a bruise at the injection pt, I've had no side effect. Not even a headache. Did they inject me with a placebo ?

Az is also a chimp virus
    Pfizer is different, it uses mRNA technology, so it wouldn't have the same method of effect as the adenoviral vector ones. Meaning, you might not need to get infected with anything to get the vaccine effect. You might still have the full effect without having to feel sick.

However, I'll admit I haven't researched the mRNA vaccines enough because I had given up on getting it. I had the AZ instead, which is why I am particularly concerned about it and researched it in much more detail.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldfishMan View Post
    45% will get nothing because the adenovirus failed to infect them. It's very much a yes or no, not in between.
    Has your research really found that 45% of double dosed AZ people get no protection at all ???

The pollies were basing the call on atagis advice. I wonder if they were pressured

Ppl who got Az should get a 3rd booster. Though I have no scientific facts based on that
    I think what the world needs right now is a technology or method to be able to easily measure the level of a person's antibodies against COVID. Without this, we are all kinda flying blind, having to rely on stats etc to validate vaccine effectiveness and all that. Like the stuff about waiting longer for increased effectiveness of adenoviral vector vaccines, that's all based on the theory behind how they work. It's not concrete. If we have the way to measure the antibody levels, that will be the ultimate fact and can be used to make decisions on everything else.

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)

We all need to have a 3 booster shot after 6 to 9 months after the 2nd shot. That why the Government have book 45 million extra shot for next year. In some countries like Israel, US and UK are having 3 shot from September. This AZ and Pfizer are only good for up to 9 months to control Delta.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
    Has your research really found that 45% of double dosed AZ people get no protection at all ???
    That percentage is only for people who get the second dose 4 weeks after the first dose, which is really not the recommended thing to do.

My research did not say outright that 45% get nothing, I just researched how these adenoviral vectors work, and what are the biggest concerns around their effectiveness; IE. How they can fail to work. Then, I tried to make sense of what they meant by these percentages using the above knowledge.

I don't know the percentage figures of the population who stroll into the chemist to get an annual flu shot. That all seems to proceed with absolutely no fuss. Then we have the covid injections - massive society wide logistical exercises. Is it even feasible to do this all over again every nine months???

Banned
    Link to the Lancet publication: Impact and Effectiveness the Pfizer vaccine (skip to the "Discussion")

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...seccestitle160

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast