Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wine

Senior Member(無間使者)

Wine

Looking over a few social media posts of some favourite private girls of mine I’ve noticed a bit of a trend of some regular clients sending girls some decent wines during lockdown. I must admit that many of my additional excess funds during lockdown have been added into wine investments. Should I say investment? Probably not. But they’re wines I’ll put down for a decade or so. For my private punts I always bring a good bottle or two if the girl is a wine fan.

So I put it out there, what bottles are you buying to cellar and what recommendations do you have? I’m keen to get the lowdown on the more lesser know producers. Mine of late have been more the generic Grange, Hill of Grace, Astralis from Australia but also some preorders of incoming Bordeaux’s. Some Standish wines and the 2019 YY Dry Red No1 in case form ordered for the better value wines.

I’m sure we have some wine lovers here. Keen to get info on anything I should look towards.

I like a nice Shiraz and Pinot Noir. I wouldn't buy to invest, just drink it.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Wine. My second favourite thing to ramble on about

I buy to drink, and buy to stick down for a decade or so.

I love a decent red, but not a super strong, peppery shiraz. Therefore a bordeaux style blend often gets me.

Current favourite is Henschke Euphonium Keyneton Estate. About $50 per bottle in a case. Superb now and it just grows over 10-15 years if you're patient. I also have some Barolo and general Nebbiolo under the stairs waiting for a special birthday. They are terrific but pricy.

Love a Hunter Semillon. Mt Pleasant have a great old vine Semi. Terriffic. In fact they have several really decent wines on their website.

I'm also tasting some exotica atm. Spanish Temperanillo of course and some Vermentino from Italy and some Sangioveses. The Sangiovese is fantastic.

I'll go under the stairs later in the day and give you some labels i particularly like Bmal.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Quote Originally Posted by DayMan69 View Post
    Wine. My second favourite thing to ramble on about

I buy to drink, and buy to stick down for a decade or so.

I love a decent red, but not a super strong, peppery shiraz. Therefore a bordeaux style blend often gets me.

Current favourite is Henschke Euphonium Keyneton Estate. About $50 per bottle in a case. Superb now and it just grows over 10-15 years if you're patient. I also have some Barolo and general Nebbiolo under the stairs waiting for a special birthday. They are terrific but pricy.

Love a Hunter Semillon. Mt Pleasant have a great old vine Semi. Terriffic. In fact they have several really decent wines on their website.

I'm also tasting some exotica atm. Spanish Temperanillo of course and some Vermentino from Italy and some Sangioveses. The Sangiovese is fantastic.

I'll go under the stairs later in the day and give you some labels i particularly like Bmal.

The Wine world is so big. If you are more into medium bodied, I assume you have explored the beautiful Argentine Malbec. More chocolate notes, more oaky, a bit of vanilla, blacl fruits and plums. Aussie Nebbiolos are as good if not better than some of the Italian. Back to WL now, I would never waste a good bottle on a WL who doesn't know her wine. May be the lower range cab sav / shiraz stuff that you find in BWS / Dan Murphy every now and then.

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleazypeazy View Post
    The Wine world is so big. If you are more into medium bodied, I assume you have explored the beautiful Argentine Malbec. More chocolate notes, more oaky, a bit of vanilla, blacl fruits and plums. Aussie Nebbiolos are as good if not better than some of the Italian. Back to WL now, I would never waste a good bottle on a WL who doesn't know her wine. May be the lower range cab sav / shiraz stuff that you find in BWS / Dan Murphy every now and then.
    Double thumbs up on the Melbec. I have some vintage Henschke and Grange that I want to offload. How does one sell wine?!

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogeryou View Post
    Double thumbs up on the Melbec. I have some vintage Henschke and Grange that I want to offload. How does one sell wine?!
    There are quite a few places you can offload wines eg
    Langton's
    https://langtons.com.au/auctions#sellyourwine

Cellarit
    https://www.cellarit.com.au/sell-wine/default.aspx

Grays
    https://www.grays.com/sell/wine

I haven't actually sold any through the above sites, would prefer to drink them after spending hard earned chasing them down and cellaring..

Agree with all the reds mentioned earlier, also fond of Aussie Rieslings like Grosset, Crawford River

Senior Member(無間使者)
    I just bought two wine from produced in 2016 . They are from Portugal region Very smooth wine & got it on special

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    I wonder if people realise that to build just a very modest collection of the wines you refer to below (definitely not a cellar) would be $100K. You’d also be looking at long term cellaring so you’d need to invest in at least a decent wine fridge.

With the level of wines you’re buying, why don’t you look at adding some Borolos/Barbarescos, Tuscan or Californian wines? I wouldn’t bother about Burgundy unless you’re looking to piss money against the wall.

On sharing it with girls, I honestly think you’re wasting it if you’re sharing a $100 bottle, let alone a $1000 one. More than 99% wouldn’t have a clue

Quote Originally Posted by Bmal View Post
    Looking over a few social media posts of some favourite private girls of mine I’ve noticed a bit of a trend of some regular clients sending girls some decent wines during lockdown. I must admit that many of my additional excess funds during lockdown have been added into wine investments. Should I say investment? Probably not. But they’re wines I’ll put down for a decade or so. For my private punts I always bring a good bottle or two if the girl is a wine fan.

So I put it out there, what bottles are you buying to cellar and what recommendations do you have? I’m keen to get the lowdown on the more lesser know producers. Mine of late have been more the generic Grange, Hill of Grace, Astralis from Australia but also some preorders of incoming Bordeaux’s. Some Standish wines and the 2019 YY Dry Red No1 in case form ordered for the better value wines.

I’m sure we have some wine lovers here. Keen to get info on anything I should look towards.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by quackm2002 View Post

On sharing it with girls, I honestly think you’re wasting it if you’re sharing a $100 bottle, let alone a $1000 one. More than 99% wouldn’t have a clue
    100 % these girls are just looking for shit to post on Insta to say " Look At me I'm so special "

99 Premium Member (特級會員)
    Quote Originally Posted by halfway View Post
    100 % these girls are just looking for shit to post on Insta to say " Look At me I'm so special "
    I enjoy my wine, am not a wine snob at all, but yeah I do feel like, as with many things, it is just about showing off for some of them. Probably some of us as well. What designer brands they can wear, drinking expensive wines they know little about, in places they would not otherwise go.
    Like most my wines are divided between drinkers and keepers. I keep a reasonable supply of both, though I am low on drinkers at the moment so time to restock.
    I wouldn't be using any of my "keepers" until I was sure the person I was sharing it with, male or female, appreciated what they were drinking. For example I'd try a bottle of Henschke Keyneton Euphonium at best, perhaps a Penfolds Bin 8 or 2, maybe a Gibson or a Carpineto Montepulciano to see how they react before considering pulling out the bigger guns.

I once foolishly took a bottle of Serafino Terremoto 2011 to my friends place, and watched in horror as her husband didn't even bother to empty the previous wine as he poured it in to his glass "I can't taste the difference between different wines." He said when he saw the look of horror I could not disguise. Luckily his wife could and she took the bottle from him and said "This is too good for you. Go grab yourself a different bottle." So her and I enjoyed it together while he happily drank Rosemount.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    I wonder if people realise that to build just a very modest collection of the wines you refer to below (definitely not a cellar) would be $100K. You’d also be looking at long term cellaring so you’d need to invest in at least a decent wine fridge.

With the level of wines you’re buying, why don’t you look at adding some Borolos/Barbarescos, Tuscan or Californian wines? I wouldn’t bother about Burgundy unless you’re looking to piss money against the wall.

I think many people realise that, cellaring is very different to a full on cellar. You’re looking at 10’s of thousands just for the cellar alone without adding the wine.

Barolos I have plenty of and although I have some good Napa wines I find often there is too much hype for the prices at times. The same can arguably be said about many other regions also mind you. I’ve been sticking to mainly Aus wines this year.

The wine world is huge. Pretty much everyone will have a varying opinion. Just thought it might be more interesting to talk about over ‘how do you travel to a punt?’ at the moment.

I only share decent wines with privates I know have some care for it. But tbh it’s more for me at that time anyway.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    You wouldn’t buy the cult Californians - they’re absurdly priced and impossible to obtain anyway but there are great producers that have more affordable wines like Ridge, Diamond Creek, Silver Oak etc

Senior Member(無間使者)
    You wouldn’t buy the cult Californians - they’re absurdly priced and impossible to obtain anyway but there are great producers that have more affordable wines like Ridge, Diamond Creek, Silver Oak etc
    I agree with you there. I do have quite a few bottles across many vintages of Opus One but it was a moment of buying because I had the option at those times.

I’ve had a Zinfandel from Ridge in the past I believe which was very good but I should invest more time into trying to find more of their wines. Silver Oak I have a few bottles of older vintages still.

I did not buy 100k of wine initially, but I do have more than 100k of wine today. The last few months I’ve been looking at good to very good aussie wines predominantly.

I’d really like to hear specific wines worth buying that may be far lesser known. I’m always looking globally for good wines from people who know the regions very well.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    I am not a wine person. If I am a true beginner and keen to try some Australian wine. Any bottles are recommended?
    Lets support the local wine industry in these tough times!

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼) the_boss_king's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by the1hkdude View Post
    I am not a wine person. If I am a true beginner and keen to try some Australian wine. Any bottles are recommended?
    Lets support the local wine industry in these tough times!
    start of with penfolds and work your way through there

99 Premium Member (特級會員) rooter's Avatar
    I just drink to get drunk.

Baby Member(留言版初哥)
    The girls usually enjoy sweet wines, so no need to spend any more than $20 per bottle.

Box wine does me fine.

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wotan View Post
    The girls usually enjoy sweet wines, so no need to spend any more than $20 per bottle.
    $7 Lumbroso will do cheap and sweet.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by rooter View Post
    I just drink to get drunk.
    I'm with you, Go hard or go home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast