Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Australian borders opening finally

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Getting out is easy. Getting back in is the hard part.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Quote Originally Posted by suka02 View Post
    https://www.skyscanner.com.au/travel...m_term=engaged

Look up the Travel map here.. nearly all asian countries we not allowed to visit including thailand. Only japan, korea and few others allowed. Funny that Africa, middle east and europe are allowed. What valid reason we allow to visit Thailand?
    What I think is the country allowed to visit will be updated once the borders open. They may start with UK , US, Singapore and extend to other countries with lower risk. Most Asian countries are struggling as their vaccination rates are low as people don’t trust the Chinese vaccine. But in 2022 all countries who rely on tourism will find a way to open their borders like Thailand has the sandbox scheme. This allows traveller to come into Phuket and have to spend 7 days in approved hotel. It’s not a quarantine and one is allowed to go out in Phuket. After 7 days one can go to other parts of Thailand.

https://www.thaiembassy.com/travel-t...t-sandbox-plan

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnisfun1969 View Post
    Yes that’s true. When lockdown is lifted and people don’t wear
    mask the number of infections will increase. But we should not look at the number of people infected once majority of the population had their two doses of vaccine. It’s the number of people in hospital as well as in ICU. The lockdown worked at the start of covid in 2020. But now since we have the delta variant you cannot eliminate the virus. It’s best to have a strategy to live with it as we do with the flue virus. In 2017 there were 1255 death, out of this nearly 100 people were below 64, the rest older.

https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@...%20influenza~5

But I agree one should not get on a plane as soon as the borders open. Better to wait couple of months. I think the travel insurance providers may also charge more in the beginning.
    With Flu, there isn't any form of lockdown or social distancing controls and we have about 1255 deaths. With Covid where we have tons of restrictions, social distancing, lockdown, we also see about 1300 deaths this year before the year has ended. So I would imagine once we remove all the restrictions and do a "Live with Covid" the number of deaths will easily make Flu numbers look like a drop in the ocean.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by wilisno View Post
    Although the Singapore infection rate is high, but 98% are of mild or no symptoms, because the vaccination rate is high there.
    Hmm.... Singapore has 1356 ppl in hospital with severe Covid, 222 ventilated, 34 in ICU trying not to die.... doesn't really sound that mild for a country with over 80% vaccination rate.

I do agree that vaccination does reduce the number of severely infected. But it doesn't reduce it to the point where it is effective without the addition of social distancing measures.

https://www.moh.gov.sg/covid-19/statistics

They went from 40 cases a day to nearly 3000 cases a day in 4 weeks after they relaxed social distance measures. They still had to wear masks everywhere (except at home).

Get vaccinated and stay safe bros.

99 King Member (帝皇會員) GoldfishMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by studsg View Post
    With Flu, there isn't any form of lockdown or social distancing controls and we have about 1255 deaths. With Covid where we have tons of restrictions, social distancing, lockdown, we also see about 1300 deaths this year before the year has ended. So I would imagine once we remove all the restrictions and do a "Live with Covid" the number of deaths will easily make Flu numbers look like a drop in the ocean.
    Hit the nail on the head bro. That's why I always laugh at people trying to compare the death rate of COVID against the flu. The closest comparison we have of a country trying to take on COVID like it was the flu, IE. With minimal vaccination rates and minimal social distancing life-goes-on approach, was India at the beginning of their Delta wave. Granted they didn't do that deliberately, but it was a complete disaster with people actually dying on the pavements outside of hospitals because there were no more beds for them.

Now it is hard to make that comparison because almost every country thinking of opening up would have already had a high vaccination rate, much higher than against the flu for sure.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    But didn't Thailand opt for sinovax?
    My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    China has 2 main vaccines, Sinovac and Sinopharm. If they opted for Sinovac, then thats good, because the TGA has advised that it be recognised as an effective vaccine. If this happens, people who have had Sinovac will be recognised as vaccinated by Australian authorities. If they were vaccinated with Sinopharm, then they wont be accepted as vaccinated here in Australia.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Could've been sinopharm then, I remember reading that when delta hit many thai doctors and nurses who were double vaxxed were dying.
    My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    If we take the political lenses off. China's vaccine are essentially traditional vaccines made from dead virus. This is the same as all the Flu vaccines we take yearly. Efficacy rates are in the range of 60-70% same as our Flu vaccines.

Many countries around the world use these "traditional" vaccine. Indonesia, Singapore, Philippines, Thailand, Brazil, Africa, etc.

And I do hope our TGA approves these vaccines soon, else our stock of ML and WL is gonna be depleted soon. Unless we expect new batches to come from the USA or UK.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Anyone made an enquiry into the actual cost of travel insurance ?

I get all n sundry are keen to walk the wing and get on over.. aside from the vaccine rates and current travel limitations and various other barriers , what’s current cost for insurance ?

Quote Originally Posted by studsg View Post
    If we take the political lenses off. China's vaccine are essentially traditional vaccines made from dead virus. This is the same as all the Flu vaccines we take yearly. Efficacy rates are in the range of 60-70% same as our Flu vaccines.

Many countries around the world use these "traditional" vaccine. Indonesia, Singapore, Philippines, Thailand, Brazil, Africa, etc.

And I do hope our TGA approves these vaccines soon, else our stock of ML and WL is gonna be depleted soon. Unless we expect new batches to come from the USA or UK.
    Sinovac from China and one other from India had been recognised by our government so that students from these two countries can return to Oz without the 14 days hotel quarantine.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Qantas saying you'll need 4 tests and you'll still need 7 days home quarentine, those tests are 150 a pop, so factor that into your expenses also...

Baby Member(留言版初哥)
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy View Post
    Qantas saying you'll need 4 tests and you'll still need 7 days home quarentine, those tests are 150 a pop, so factor that into your expenses also...
    Hmmm what are the 4 PCR tests for dannyboy?? I wouldve assumed only 2 are needed.. 1 before departure there and back. But great point, just adds to the expense of travel right now

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Quote Originally Posted by raym011 View Post
    Hmmm what are the 4 PCR tests for dannyboy?? I wouldve assumed only 2 are needed.. 1 before departure there and back. But great point, just adds to the expense of travel right now
    The rapide Antigen tests will eventually replace PCR and become cheaper. Probably by next year they will be available in pharmacies, supermarkets etc

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12