Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 121 to 135 of 135

Thread: Gladys B gone with the wind

  1. #121
    99 God Member (神級會員) AHLUNGOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-03-2012
    Location
    From Sydney CBD to Central
    Posts
    39,939
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiegaigin View Post
    Enjoyed food in Kensington? I live there and very disappointed at the choices. Couple of good cafes, open til lunch time? Greasy take away chicken shop, couple of 7/11s, dodgy old Chinese place. Maybe you mean Kingsford?

    Lucky I've got a MILFy RnB shop nearby to amuse me.
    I always thought that section outside of UNSW is Kensington, it’s probably Kingsford.

    My favorite is Albee’s Kitchen !

  2. #122
    99 Premium Member (特級會員)
    Join Date
    06-03-2012
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,206
    Quote Originally Posted by AHLUNGOR View Post
    I always thought that section outside of UNSW is Kensington, it’s probably Kingsford.

    My favorite is Albee’s Kitchen !
    That's Kingsford. Kensington finishes at UNSW.

    Agree Albee's is great. It changed hands a few years ago, it was even better before.

  3. #123
    Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼) GoldfishMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-05-2012
    Posts
    1,792
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiegaigin View Post
    THe Gold Coast system is well patronised, I rode on it recently; so successful, they need to extend it.
    Adelaide's line has been around for almost 90 years, and recently upgraded, it just needs more development along the line to take advantage of it. Canberra's patronage is building up well, and will improve when the xtensions are built.
    Newcastle's is a flop, will only improve if it is extended.
    Sydney's eastern lines were carrying 1.5M per month prior to the lockdown, how is that not successful?
    Of course it's successful. Who wouldn't use a nice modern tram service if it was available in your neighbourhood.

  4. #124
    Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Join Date
    06-03-2012
    Posts
    814
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiegaigin View Post
    That's Kingsford. Kensington finishes at UNSW.

    Agree Albee's is great. It changed hands a few years ago, it was even better before.
    I used to live a little further south of here.

    I'm taking a friend to eat at Kingsford on Sunday. Do you recommend anything? I was thinking the Indonesian restaurant ayam something

  5. #125
    99 Premium Member (特級會員)
    Join Date
    06-03-2012
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,206
    Quote Originally Posted by tpol View Post
    I used to live a little further south of here.

    I'm taking a friend to eat at Kingsford on Sunday. Do you recommend anything? I was thinking the Indonesian restaurant ayam something
    Ayam Goreng 99. Looks like it is still going.

    So many places closed or changed over the last couple of years due to lack of Asian students at UNSW. Haven't been down that way for while.

  6. #126
    Senior Member(無間使者)
    Join Date
    25-03-2015
    Posts
    427
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Flintstone View Post
    Before Covid struck Melbourne, Dan’s ace transport planning department didn’t plan for over 150,000 international students living and working in the CBD and inner city areas and using trams everyday. The tram network just about collapsed. If there was a problem, Dan would just blame the private operator. It was impossible to get on a tram in the mornings or afternoons as they were so full. I would wait and wait for a tram on St.Kilda Road at 5.30pm before deciding to leg it. The other problem was that as the trams were so packed, no one could get to the machines to tap on, so the majority of international students became fare evaders. LOL. This was typical of the way Dan’s departments ran in the socialist paradise.

    The light rail systems in Gold Coast, Adelaide, Newcastle and Canberra have been total flops as no one uses them. A case of one upmanship or my dick is bigger than yours. Keeping the inner city Greens happy as we aren’t apparently using cars. Hahaha
    That's not a Melbourne or Dan issue. If you look at Sydney it's the same. Before Covid, every morning people would be fighting to get onto the lightrail from Central station. After office hours the same happens in the other direction. Many times ppl gave up and found that it was faster to just walk to their destination or take a bus or the normal train.

    Another note is why in this day and age are we still using such a old an outdated technology like trams ?? It takes forever to go from Central to Circular Quay. The same trip on normal trains would have ferried like 5 round trips and more easily. Plus underground trains won't cause any traffic accidents with cyclist, cars, etc.

  7. #127
    Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼) GoldfishMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-05-2012
    Posts
    1,792
    Quote Originally Posted by studsg View Post
    That's not a Melbourne or Dan issue. If you look at Sydney it's the same. Before Covid, every morning people would be fighting to get onto the lightrail from Central station. After office hours the same happens in the other direction. Many times ppl gave up and found that it was faster to just walk to their destination or take a bus or the normal train.

    Another note is why in this day and age are we still using such a old an outdated technology like trams ?? It takes forever to go from Central to Circular Quay. The same trip on normal trains would have ferried like 5 round trips and more easily. Plus underground trains won't cause any traffic accidents with cyclist, cars, etc.
    Trams are not "outdated", they're not useful in the current form because of the Govt's "vision". Their vision is a network made up of very few lines with huge trams running those lines, but that completely contradicts a lot of the benefits of using trams.

    The first benefit is the fact that the tracks are relatively easier to lay than other forms of transport.
    Compare the difficulty of laying an above ground tram track against digging a tunnel to lay an underground train track. Or compare it against setting up an elevated monorail line.

    The other benefit of trams is it is relatively easy to scale up the size of the transports on the lines. You want bigger trams to hold more people, you just scale up the trams and the power. With a monorail, you'd be constrained by the max load on the line itself. Underground trains are a different story though. There, you'd be looking at a negative constraint: the line would've been so costly to build, you would be hard pressed to justify running smaller trains on them.

    Last benefit of trams is they're not constrained by the method of power delivery. Sure, at the moment batteries and all that tech are not strong enough to power a tram, necessitating the need for overhead power lines. But, imagine if some time in the future the tech is good enough so that you can run trams on battery power, solar power or a combination of them. Then you wouldn't need power lines, all you need are good solid tracks.

  8. #128
    Senior Member(無間使者)
    Join Date
    06-03-2012
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldfishMan View Post
    Trams are not "outdated", they're not useful in the current form because of the Govt's "vision". Their vision is a network made up of very few lines with huge trams running those lines, but that completely contradicts a lot of the benefits of using trams.

    The first benefit is the fact that the tracks are relatively easier to lay than other forms of transport.
    Compare the difficulty of laying an above ground tram track against digging a tunnel to lay an underground train track. Or compare it against setting up an elevated monorail line.

    The other benefit of trams is it is relatively easy to scale up the size of the transports on the lines. You want bigger trams to hold more people, you just scale up the trams and the power. With a monorail, you'd be constrained by the max load on the line itself. Underground trains are a different story though. There, you'd be looking at a negative constraint: the line would've been so costly to build, you would be hard pressed to justify running smaller trains on them.

    Last benefit of trams is they're not constrained by the method of power delivery. Sure, at the moment batteries and all that tech are not strong enough to power a tram, necessitating the need for overhead power lines. But, imagine if some time in the future the tech is good enough so that you can run trams on battery power, solar power or a combination of them. Then you wouldn't need power lines, all you need are good solid tracks.
    And then if you took away the tracks too, you’d have…

  9. #129
    99 Premium Member (特級會員)
    Join Date
    06-03-2012
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,206
    Trams can run on batteries, but need boost charges at regular intervals along the lines. This can be done with overhead type connections at stops. The Newcastle line does this using super capacitors for storage which are flash-recharged in about 30-40 seconds at each stop.

    Batteries are not really power efffective because they are heavy and require up to 10% of their capacity to move their own weight.

  10. #130
    99 Premium Member (特級會員)
    Join Date
    06-03-2012
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,206
    Quote Originally Posted by DireStraits View Post
    And then if you took away the tracks too, you’d have…
    you would have buses.

  11. #131
    Senior Member(無間使者)
    Join Date
    06-03-2012
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiegaigin View Post
    you would have buses.
    Correct - buses, very long, flexible buses. That aren’t constrained in where they can go. Hmmm… 🤔

  12. #132
    Junior Member(有D料到)
    Join Date
    06-12-2015
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiegaigin View Post
    That's Kingsford. Kensington finishes at UNSW.

    Agree Albee's is great. It changed hands a few years ago, it was even better before.



    when was that? i thought i still see the OG mamasan Albee herself in campsie Albee not that long ago. i assume that because she speak the dialect from our "village"...

  13. #133
    Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Join Date
    06-03-2012
    Posts
    814
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiegaigin View Post
    Ayam Goreng 99. Looks like it is still going.

    So many places closed or changed over the last couple of years due to lack of Asian students at UNSW. Haven't been down that way for while.
    Thanks brah..................

  14. #134
    99 Premium Member (特級會員)
    Join Date
    06-03-2012
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,206
    Quote Originally Posted by csda View Post
    when was that? i thought i still see the OG mamasan Albee herself in campsie Albee not that long ago. i assume that because she speak the dialect from our "village"...
    A couple of years ago, I guess. A friend went there and came away disappointed, she said "new owners". Maybe just a bad day. I've been a couple of times since and didn't notice any different.

  15. #135
    Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Join Date
    22-11-2012
    Posts
    791
    Btw, if you guys really wanna try good Indonesian food, try "Medan Ciak" restaurant.
    I don't think there is one near Kensington though
    But there is one on the way to Ginza and few around the city.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •