Thread: New South Wales - one of the only places in the world where the law protects sex work as work, and

New South Wales - one of the only places in the world where the law protects sex work as work, and

It’s not unusual for international journalists to reach out to me with a question about how well the Dutch are treating their sex industry.

Known for our openminded drugs regulations and our red light districts, it seems only logical that the rights of sex workers are taken care of, too. Unfortunately, they aren’t.

In 2000 the ban on brothels was lifted and sex work, prostitution specifically, was finally legalised.At least on paper.

In practice this law turned out to help municipalities shut down over 50 per cent of the existing workspaces and gave them a mandate to evict sex workers from their houses if they work from home.

Dateline S2021 Ep28 - Sex, Drugs And Bad Tourists
    This title cannot be watched here. Watch it now on SBS On Demand
    Where in the 90’s the debate was mainly about emancipating workers in the industry, over the past two decades the discourse shifted to a ‘we should save them all’ approach.

In order to save us all, our parliament just passed a law that will exclude sex workers from Dutch privacy law.

Recently the Ministry of Justice and Safety stated how, beside the yearly €3 million so called ‘exit programs’ receive, they now give an extra €1 million for specific sex worker groups who these programs find hard to reach.

This is in stark contrast with the only €100,000 received by the Dutch destigmatisation alliance.

This is a collaboration of 22 sex worker-led, health and social work organisations who are striving for the decriminalisation of sex work.

Amsterdam's red-light district is known worldwide for its windows.
    Sex workers in the Netherlands are nervously waiting to see which direction the new government will take.
    SBS Dateline.

Most Dutch sex workers did not get any financial COVID aid at all, and brothels forcefully remained closed for months, even after the rest of the country opened up again.

Right now, our country is forming a new government and the most strident anti-sex work parties have a strong seat at the table.

Sex workers in the Netherlands are holding their breath. But after more than 20 years of further stigmatisation and discrimination, there is a bit of political hope for us.

We finally have one member of parliament who is explicitly in favour of the human rights of sex workers. Sylvana Simons, leader of the Dutch equal rights and equal opportunity party BIJ1, is committed to putting decriminalisation of sex work on the agenda.

And together with sex workers worldwide, she is pointing to New South Wales - one of the only places in the world where the law protects sex work as work, and where even migrant sex workers are protected just like any other labourers.

Source https://www.sbs.com.au/news/dateline...s-praising-nsw

We update sex, sex-work related news on our twitter from time to time. Check this out if you’re bored
    Twitter.com/no5marrickville

It's very interesting.

Do the girls have to register or join an association as a sex worker?

During lockdown the girls could not get government benefits or could they?

Sent from my GM1910 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Riff888 View Post
    It's very interesting.

Do the girls have to register or join an association as a sex worker?

During lockdown the girls could not get government benefits or could they?

I never heard from any girls that they’ve claimed covid disaster money but they could’ve, no?!

Baby Member(留言版初哥)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrickvill_5 View Post
    I never heard from any girls that they’ve claimed covid disaster money but they could’ve, no?!
    Probably they don't have good accountant or lawyer friends.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Think you need show pay tax

Me too, I don't know any girls that tried claiming.