Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Economy, Inflation and Industry

Super Fans (忠實Fans)

Economy, Inflation and Industry

Hi All,

Just a question, I am wondering if you also
    started to feel that shops are getting less busy these days mainly due to rise in cost of living, inflation etc?

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by personaa View Post
    Hi All,

started to feel that shops are getting less busy these days mainly due to rise in cost of living, inflation etc?
    Isn't it better that they are less busy so you don't have to wait as long?

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Yes I feel that too, recently when i made some inquiries only, immediately i get asked “when do you want to come? Shall i make a booking for you?”

Another thing I noticed: in the city theres an increase in domestic tourists and its given the city shops a little boost in sales

Not this long weekend, I was in the city and Chinatown area, most areas were packed and you couldn’t find a table in most restaurants and even food court. I have not seen cues like this for a very long time.

Did any one manage to book a hotel room on Saturday night ? Prices were skyrocketed due to the Vivid and long weekend and this is without much international tourists.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Oddly i think the shops are busier.

Its one of those things where i feel punting is a stress reliever for a lot of people affected by the economic slow downs.
    Another contributing factor is the cost of punting relative to ones savings and inflation can be seen is quite cheap, compared to some other forms of entertainment.

99 King Member (帝皇會員) GoldfishMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AHLUNGOR View Post
    Not this long weekend, I was in the city and Chinatown area, most areas were packed and you couldn’t find a table in most restaurants and even food court. I have not seen cues like this for a very long time.

Did any one manage to book a hotel room on Saturday night ? Prices were skyrocketed due to the Vivid and long weekend and this is without much international tourists.
    This is because the real pain hasn’t actually hit yet, bro. So far it’s only been news articles of things that are afoot, like the spiking energy prices, and interest rate hikes which take a bit of time for full effect.
    Watch what happens in the next couple of months. There will be a very noticeable difference for sure!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldfishMan View Post
    This is because the real pain hasn’t actually hit yet, bro. So far it’s only been news articles of things that are afoot, like the spiking energy prices, and interest rate hikes which take a bit of time for full effect.
    Watch what happens in the next couple of months. There will be a very noticeable difference for sure!
    It's all heading towards a global recession. High inflation, stock market crashing, food, energy and interest rates going up and nothing positive is being heard in the news lately. All very grim for all of us but not for the billionaires and globalists pushing their agenda.

Banned
    With rates going up as high as $350-$400/hr for a Japanese WL it's better for me. Last time I remember not being able to book certain J WLs for months just because they were fully booked 2-3 days in advance during the $230-$300/hr rates period. Now I can book some of my favourites at anytime or sometimes even just walk in.

I started a thread months ago about saving up your hard earned money until you're comfortable enough to live on it years even without an income. Being in that position the inflation and cost of living rise feels more like a tickle rather than a stab. And I can still punt weekly on a top $$$ JAV WL without hurting the bank.

Some were arrogant enough to say that I'm showing off. All I can say is that hard work pays off, and those who snooze, loses!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cuteguy View Post
    It's all heading towards a global recession. High inflation, stock market crashing, food, energy and interest rates going up and nothing positive is being heard in the news lately. All very grim for all of us but not for the billionaires and globalists pushing their agenda.
    The news is never positive, it is a means to distract people from the reality of life. Governments are at fault for making people spend all their income and taking up loans they can't pay back if they lose their jobs, all because they want to make tax money to pay for stupidly cancelled French submarine contracts.

Save up, invest, pay off all your debts then do whatever you want. If you really don't have the money to invest then go get an investment loan, the negative gearing helps to lower your taxes and brings your tax return amount to a higher level. And especially at this time when stock market is bearish, it's good time to buy and see it double or triple in a few years time.

Quote Originally Posted by cuteguy View Post
    Not really true, bro. The good news is wages are rising. Although not really fast enough to counter inflation on average, it presents an opportunity for each and everyone to "seize the day", be courageous and go for the big pay increases whichever way is the best.

And not really true about the billionaires. Most of their wealth are "on paper" only, so most of them are being hammered as the markets are being hammered. The Atlassian founders each lost more than half their worth, $12.2b each, this year alone for example. Basically all the tech billionaires have been smashed since November last year. Only the mining billionaires are still doing well.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    prices have risen much higher than inflation for these aforementioned services

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    The problem with rising wages GFM is that it also increases costs to manufacturers and suppliers so they in turn put their prices up. So in reality the extra money in your pocket still buys the same or less, its a vicious cycle. And in normal times as wages increase so to does unemployment but because we have virtually zero migration that won't happen as much this time. Also with all the turmoil and hyped up recession talk in the news a lot of suppliers have taken the chance and increased prices to the point of gouging, glass has gone up 33% over the last year aluminium over 40%. Shipping charges and terminal fees have gone up over 50%.

It may be a bearish market JJ but with inflation and unemployment rising around the world the markets still have a way to go before hitting bottom, my smsf is cashed up but I'm not prepared to buy right now as I think there'll be more bargains in 6-12 months time.
    My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldfishMan View Post
    Not really true, bro. The good news is wages are rising. Although not really fast enough to counter inflation on average, it presents an opportunity for each and everyone to "seize the day", be courageous and go for the big pay increases whichever way is the best.

And not really true about the billionaires. Most of their wealth are "on paper" only, so most of them are being hammered as the markets are being hammered. The Atlassian founders each lost more than half their worth, $12.2b each, this year alone for example. Basically all the tech billionaires have been smashed since November last year. Only the mining billionaires are still doing well.
    Keeping a lot of cash in the bank is not safe. Hackers and bank database glitches can wipe out your hard earned savings and the bank will often try to avoid responsibility. This is why rich people often convert their cash into assets - assets are covered by a contract that locks in the initial amount, and these contracts can be "pawned" as collateral to obtain bank loans and pay off principal plus interest using any surplus income coming from the "pawned" asset. What they do with the loan is up to them - build more assets or float on a yatch having orgies daily if they want to, and this is just a smart way for them to build an empire or just simply enjoy the lifestyle of their choice.

I have been buying REIT stocks and opting for my quarterly dividend payments to be used to buy more units. The stock price has tanked a little since last year but with the autobuy option I'm actually accumulating more units at a cheaper price which is a win when prices go back up in the future. I've also invested in precious metals back when prices were much cheaper so I can gain tax-free capital gains (confirmed by my accountant) when prices continue to soar. Back in 2018 I paid off all my loans when gold and silver prices shot up, and the surplus also covered all the interest I have ever paid to the bank for that loan, so it's almost like the bank gave me free money lol

Senior Member(無間使者)
    I don't know...but the vibe i get around the traps are that most decent run shops are flat out. I believe that we havnt hit rock bottom yet as far as the cost of living goes and how much it will influence a drop in business in most shops. At this stage the price for a good punt has been increasing... for how long will this be sustainable...who knows.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    I get regular updates from from a couple of regular ML's I see off and on and both have hit and miss days but its all relative! age + location are factors... It's clear the younger one gets much more work than the older one does - so a busy day for a ~27yo Thai ML in a city shop (Alice / Cindy) on a Tuesday can be 8 jobs but 6 is typical. But for the 33Yo Thai in Bondi (Jenny) is lucky if she scores 4 jobs on her busiest day. On the flip side yesterday the 26yo scored 4 jobs in
    Balmain up to 5:30 PM and then a 6th just on closing... but she had nothing before 3PM.. The older girl scored just 2 jobs yesterday in Bondi.
    Jenny recalls before Covid she never had a day with less than 3 jobs and 4- 6 jobs was typical for her. Poor Alice arrived 2 months before COVID hit... so every day is still a new experience for her!

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieM View Post
    I don't know...but the vibe i get around the traps are that most decent run shops are flat out. I believe that we havnt hit rock bottom yet as far as the cost of living goes and how much it will influence a drop in business in most shops. At this stage the price for a good punt has been increasing... for how long will this be sustainable...who knows.
    I remember I came back to punting last year and the girl asked $100 for the extra, I thought yo this girl is crazy! The last time it was barely $50 lol way back in 2015. I guess everything has to go up ey. $100 extras is still doable for now but anymore would be iffy. I doubt the bosses of ours would increase our wages accordingly lol. My cous told me his electricity for the month went up a lot so I’m still waiting for mine to come and see what’s the deal.

Quote Originally Posted by dotcumdotinyou View Post
    The problem with rising wages GFM is that it also increases costs to manufacturers and suppliers so they in turn put their prices up. So in reality the extra money in your pocket still buys the same or less, its a vicious cycle. And in normal times as wages increase so to does unemployment but because we have virtually zero migration that won't happen as much this time. Also with all the turmoil and hyped up recession talk in the news a lot of suppliers have taken the chance and increased prices to the point of gouging, glass has gone up 33% over the last year aluminium over 40%. Shipping charges and terminal fees have gone up over 50%.

It may be a bearish market JJ but with inflation and unemployment rising around the world the markets still have a way to go before hitting bottom, my smsf is cashed up but I'm not prepared to buy right now as I think there'll be more bargains in 6-12 months time.
    I wouldn't call that a vicious cycle. It's simply every man for himself... If you don't jack up your price, your PPP will be swallowed up by the inflation. Gotta move with the times, not against it.

If I had to choose between seeing the price of everything going up and everyone getting a bigger pay check to keep up, vs prices staying the same but only a select few getting "wealthy", guess which one I would choose? Don't go calling me a Commie now, I just have a heart!

I wouldn't buy anything at the moment if I were you, we are nowhere near the bottom. Keep your eyes and ears peeled for news from the US tonight AEST. If you see 75 basis point rate hike being printed, sit back and watch the carnage unfold everywhere tomorrow.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Anyone else remember the days of Paul Keating and "the recession we had to have?" Whatever else you think of him he was the patron saint of punters - provided you hung on to your job or had a steady income. So many men and women lost their jobs when a tidal wave of higher interest rates hit. Mortgage payments went through the roof, women especially, had to find an alternative income and there was a huge influx of Caucasians ( a fair number of which were married) into the industry.

Most of them were not much good at part 1 and soon worked out that they had to offer more extras to make a quid. I well remember a 27 year old pretty Italian in Chatswood giving BBBJ, CIM and FS at the standard fee of $90/hr for regulars. She kept up 10 hour shifts 6 days a week for 2 years before she went back to her (now employed) husband and started having sprogs. Good days for punting, they didn't last: but supply and demand being what it is, a recession will bring at least some silver lining.

Quote Originally Posted by priapus1966 View Post
    Anyone else remember the days of Paul Keating and "the recession we had to have?" Whatever else you think of him he was the patron saint of punters - provided you hung on to your job or had a steady income. So many men and women lost their jobs when a tidal wave of higher interest rates hit. Mortgage payments went through the roof, women especially, had to find an alternative income and there was a huge influx of Caucasians ( a fair number of which were married) into the industry.

Most of them were not much good at part 1 and soon worked out that they had to offer more extras to make a quid. I well remember a 27 year old pretty Italian in Chatswood giving BBBJ, CIM and FS at the standard fee of $90/hr for regulars. She kept up 10 hour shifts 6 days a week for 2 years before she went back to her (now employed) husband and started having sprogs. Good days for punting, they didn't last: but supply and demand being what it is, a recession will bring at least some silver lining.
    Mate, I am not ready yet to pass judgement on the ALP, but the verdict for the LNP is pretty clear. They've had more than a decade in power to do something about our energy security yet they've done nothing. All they did was sit back and said "she'll be right mate" and did fuck all.

The result? Australia is the top exporter of natural gas, yet we are in the same boat as any other country, at the mercy of rising gas prices. We like a chicken farmer that has to pay retail price for a chook, it's a fucking joke mate.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by personaa View Post
    Hi All,

The massage shops I've been going to are still busy.

Men need relief in time of stress.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast