Thread: WeChat - Platform Usage

Junior Member(有D料到)

WeChat - Platform Usage

As we're all aware, most of the establishments we visit will use WeChat as a communication and/or advertising platform.

Like some of us out there I'm generally curious about security and privacy, and the Wechat app has a lot of unknowns around it.. However in the spirit of good punting and opportunities, I'm looking into it.

For those that do use WeChat or have intimate knowledge around the app, I'd love to hear your thoughts and information around Wechat. Particularly

• How much of your own information do you have to give to the platform?
    • How much can shops see your personal information? (Name, number, any ID docs, etc.)
    • Can you hide/delete certain elements in the apps from prying partners or relatives?

Acknowledging that we are all aware that WeChat is the app of choice for a particular state and hence there will be some level of surveillance and unknown.

I tried searching the forum for a knowledge base - More than happy for others to generate their own questions in this thread.

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Dun use it! They are spying on you! Hear me out dude

CCP coming to get you! The boogey man wants to take away your freedom! They want to know your secrets your affairs the hookers you bang, the wife you are cheating on! Believe in the CIA, believe in the USA, have your faith in western system, down with commies, look at Julian Assange he got what he deserves!

USA USA USA! Aussie Aussie! Free tibet, Taiwan number one. More money for Ukraine and Israel!

DO NOT USE WECHAT! You have been warned!

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Have no fear they are spying on you. Just how important that is is relative to your own perception 😎

Senior Member(無間使者)
    I use WeChat under several pseudonyms, then again I use every messaging app in the same context.

Risk is relative to reward.

If it’s just for sex then only ever release the bare minimum for a hookup. Do you trust any of the girls you punt? No. Do you give them anymore info than what’s needed? No.

I never ever give my real name to the working girls I punt. Even if I date one of two. They don’t so why should I.

Same goes with the shops.

Baby Member(留言版初哥)
    WeChat has no end-to-end encryption, only encryption to the server, of course you can be spied on - no doubt!!! LOL

Once you give access to your contacts list, its easy to link your phone number to any family or friends that have allowed WeChat to access their contacts list (numbers can be crossed matched with multiple wechat accounts). Give access to your photos library or include a pic on your profile (any pic), then the system has access to your photo image metadata where geo-location data is stored.

Having said that, if you just use wechat for communication, have punts, nothing political, you really have nothing to hide. Just use it like I do.

Advice, use a burner phone but don't store family/friends contacts, use a VPN if you're worried, don't turn on location services. But you may not even be able to create an account if you can't link to someone you know or cite their phone number.

Many years ago, I was trying to negotiate a punt with a female account I found on 'People nearby', she did talk suspiciously, then a support message came through on my chat stating 'Do not transact with this user'. I knew my message were being monitored, but in this case, I think it was in good intentions but privacy was invaded.

99 King Member (帝皇會員)
    My WeChat profile has NO personal information. I doubt I provided any to join up many years ago. I purchased some phone time a while ago using my Apple account.

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiegaigin View Post
    My WeChat profile has NO personal information. I doubt I provided any to join up many years ago. I purchased some phone time a while ago using my Apple account.
    Don't you have to provide an Aussie number to sign up though?

99 King Member (帝皇會員) GoldfishMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPB View Post
    Don't you have to provide an Aussie number to sign up though?
    Yes, you need to provide a phone number to sign up. Sorry, I seem to have misplaced my tinfoil hat, can you please remind me how that could be a problem?

If you don't know, maybe we can ask Jamie Seidel...

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Been using wechat for years.... so the Chinese president now knows which knock shops I fuck at...???

Quote Originally Posted by GoldfishMan View Post
    Yes, you need to provide a phone number to sign up. Sorry, I seem to have misplaced my tinfoil hat, can you please remind me how that could be a problem?

Baby Member(留言版初哥)

Help

I've been trying to get on WeChat however you now need someone to scan your QR code that's been on the app for longer then 6 months if anyone here could help out please let me know cheers

Junior Member(有D料到)
    I post my drivers licence and passport details on my wechat in case i need to reference it quickly. Jokes aside i cant be the only 'John Smith' on the platform born on 1/1/1991. I just have very generic details

Junior Member(有D料到)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldfishMan View Post

Fair game, I'm just really cautious because I know you need a name and address for a mobile number

Quote Originally Posted by gamer2 View Post
    I post my drivers licence and passport details on my wechat in case i need to reference it quickly. Jokes aside i cant be the only 'John Smith' on the platform born on 1/1/1991. I just have very generic details
    Good shout!

Junior Member(有D料到)
    The name and address is kept by your mobile provider, not wechat.

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Well, the PRC's dossier on me must be at least 6 cms thick as I've been on WeChat for almost a decade. I have a single account as it's just not worth it, TO ME, to be that concerned with mixing friends and pros, though I wish there was an easy way to group contacts. Then again, I don't have any delusions of grandeur either. Pre-Covid, I traveled extensively in the PRC and really found the app essential to keep in touch with PRC friends, both while traveling and when back home. The video chat function is a real convenience in keeping in touch. Not being really fluent in Mandarin (10-12 words), the included translation function is a God-send for BOTH sides. WeChat does not have access to my contacts, but it does have a picture of ME for my profile (not too concerned about geo meta data in the photo as it was taken in China and I'm sure any TRUE PRC official will instantly recognize the location). When in the PRC, I get a local SIM card which is registered in MY name and MY passport. When you enter the country, immigration takes your photo, and with all their surveillance, I'm sure I'm EASILY tracked, since I really DON'T blend in, and PRC tracking is QED.

I AM aware and careful of what's in my chats, no politics, Uighur, Falun Gong, Tibet, or Winnie-the-Pooh references, both for myself and who I'm chatting with.

I just feel I'm doing my small patriotic part in adding to their burden of culling through masses of data. I'm not the needle, I'm that bit of clutter.

And let's be realistic, if a government, any government wants to get you, they will, though in the west you MIGHT beat it in court.

Full disclosure: I also have and use Line as well as Tik-Tok.

• How much of your own information do you have to give to the platform?
    It's been SO long, I've forgotten, but not much. Name, e-mail address, mobile number (but that original number has long since been discarded).

• How much can shops see your personal information? (Name, number, any ID docs, etc.)
    What I can see, they see my name and photo. I might be wrong, but I don't think they see my mobile number, though they might see my WeChat ID (self supplied, one time only). I don't post to Moments so have none that can be seen. There is a privacy setting of "Chats Only".

• Can you hide/delete certain elements in the apps from prying partners or relatives?
    Unlike Line, there doesn't seem to be a method to hide contacts and chats (though the Line "hiding" would be relatively easy for someone who had access to your mobile and knew what they were doing to restore).

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanflick View Post
    I've been trying to get on WeChat however you now need someone to scan your QR code that's been on the app for longer then 6 months if anyone here could help out please let me know cheers
    Well, I'd say that you MIGHT have some luck by visiting a ML regularly, establishing a business rapport, and then asking her to verify you. Business decision. I've certainly collected a number of business WeChat contacts just to be able to keep in contact with certain ML's. No more lonesome wails of "Does anyone know where she is? if she's changed shops, is on vacation, etc. And besides booking with the shop, I'll also send her a personal message just so EVERYONE is on the same page.

You might also ask a shop if you're a regular patron just so you can get there daily roster.