Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying a Shop

Senior Member(無間使者)
    I suppose you got to ask somewhere - times have changed and I imagine it’s tough on many levels now

First up the boring stuff like licences etc, then it’s the staff business side snd add to that security- it adds up and all aspects are harder to navigate then you think - most won’t go from their middle class lifestyle and money source to the industry but hey - i too like visiting wineries and then thinking I might open one

Best advice would be to get to know one or more current owners and pick their brains or just try but to do it with open eyes about the potential risks and challenges

What is the driver? Being king shit and testing the goods? Money? You actually see a niche and understand the industry?

If your serious hope it works out - most shops and ladies gather info on here and. Int listen…..

Senior Member(無間使者)
    that's the whole idea of this forum. to gather intel. and make it useful to yourself.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by exflux View Post
    that's the whole idea of this forum. to gather intel. and make it useful to yourself.
    100% - exactly the basis for the question

Loyalty Member(超級無聊鬼)
    In my mind you start a business to make money. In this context the word business comes first, massage shop phrase comes second.
    Ask yourself if you were starting a business is a massage shop your best option or most likely to succeed?

When we visit MS now, many of us are making poor business choices and decisions.
    4FoW2

Senior Member(無間使者)
    if i was going to start a business, i always give myself first 3 months of losses before starting to make any kind of money. no one can say they start a business and make money immediately, or else everyone would be doing it. so unless i can withstand 3 months of losses first, i will not go ahead with my business plan.

a massage shop is a different kind of business. the only losses you incur will mainly be made up of rent and overheads like electricity, water etc. if u got no customers, u don't need to pay wages. if there is a power failure, or a flood, you won't have food going bad in the freezer or having to replace your equipment due to water damage ( think restaurants here ). your start-up costs are massage tables, towels ... fairly low startup, i think. in the event that you have to close up shop, the tables can be re-sold and you can just pack up and leave fairly quickly. so, in my opinion, a massage shop is a good business idea.

BUT, as with all kinds of businesses, you will need customers. how you attract customers, how to keep your customers, how to get your customers to recommend your shop to new customers ... it is all up to you.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by carlco777 View Post
    in my opinion, if a massage shop is on for sale, it can only mean it is not making money and the owner wants to bail. i wouldn't buy that shop.

if it were up to me, i would scout around for a spot of my own liking and then see if i can turn that spot into a massage place. it wouldn't be a residential place. commercial is always better although it might be tricky trying to get the lease. but if commercial, people always think everything is aboveboard, proper licences, taxes paid etc etc so a lot of problems out of the way. proper massages upfront, then can proceed to a backroom if the customer so desires.

startup might be a little expensive, but if you know what you are doing, and you get the proper traffic, there is money to be made and you can always sell on the shop later and recoup everything, or even more.
    Would have to disagree - businesses sell for a number of reasons, certainly one would be not making money and that is why you do your due diligence. You contradict yourself in the last line saying you can sell later to recoup everything. By your 1st statement business is not making money, so who would buy it.

If someone has the business acumen, buying a business that is not making the money is should, can be a good alternative, but they need to understand the business fundamentals first.

Super Fans (忠實Fans)
    Well Holdan, I hope you have absorbed all if that. Just to help you, I'll volunteer to be Officer in Charge if Staff Training.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by harry444 View Post
    Well Holdan, I hope you have absorbed all if that. Just to help you, I'll volunteer to be Officer in Charge if Staff Training.
    I certainly have Harry - and many thanks for your selfless and generous offer. QA Officer would be good

Senior Member(無間使者)
    really tiring to have to explain typing into a small keyboard, but since i have nothing better to do right now ...

at the start of this thread, the poster wanted to know where to look if he was interested in buying a massage shop. now the massage shop that is not making any money ( or maybe the owner just wants to get out ) would have placed an ad somewhere. he is placing the ad as he is hoping to complete the sale as soon as possible. if the shop was indeed making money, any smart owner would have put the word out that he is looking to sell ( without first spending any money putting up an ad ), in the hope someone would come along to put an offer for the shop. the poster of this thread or any potential massage shop buyer would or should already know which shops around are making money and would have asked if the shop making money was up for sale. any shop that is making money should not be in a hurry to sell, and should be looking for the highest offer instead of bailing out right away.

one contributor in here said i contradict myself. maybe he misread or misunderstood. my original statement : startup might be a little expensive, but if you know what you are doing, and you get the proper traffic, there is money to be made and you can always sell on the shop later and recoup everything, or even more. i said SELL ON the shop, does not necessarily mean SELL THE SHOP. the word recoup is used in reference to the startup. that means maybe i sell whatever equipment that is left to recover what i can on my initial investment. of course, better yet is sell everything, the shop and its contents. but if no buyers, sell equipment, pack up, wrap up and go. that is the meaning of sell on.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Vendor: " Yeah nah mate. This shop's a good earner, and has great tables. " (Vendor kicks leg of table)

Prospective buyer: " Yeah ok. " (Prospective buyer looks at 'stains' on couch and rolls eyes)

Senior Member(無間使者)
    If OP is serious and he’s indicated he is by saying he’s gathering intel just do homework - there’s reasons why the shops appear to be crap and opening one sounds easy but hey if you mange to do it and do what people want then you have a captive audience and customer base

Hoping you get there!

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by carlco777 View Post
    one contributor in here said i contradict myself. maybe he misread or misunderstood. my original statement : startup might be a little expensive, but if you know what you are doing, and you get the proper traffic, there is money to be made and you can always sell on the shop later and recoup everything, or even more. i said SELL ON the shop, does not necessarily mean SELL THE SHOP. the word recoup is used in reference to the startup. that means maybe i sell whatever equipment that is left to recover what i can on my initial investment. of course, better yet is sell everything, the shop and its contents. but if no buyers, sell equipment, pack up, wrap up and go. that is the meaning of sell on.
    Im sure the OP is doing his research on buying established business vs starting up his own. However the idea of being able to sell equipment to recoup establishment costs is not a viable exit strategy at all.
    You need to consider what is involved in the establishment of a new shop. Majority of the cost will be in the fitout - building rooms, air con, painting, staff amenities etc all which have zero value in recovery. You may make a few dollars on the air con but will cost you to have removed. In fact it could cost money to shut up and walk away in rectification costs to bring building back to barebones. The equipment cost for furniture and tables etc would be few minimal and also of little value in a second hand market.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by Holdan View Post
    Where would I look if I was interested in buying a massage shop? Gumtree? Locanto?
    Go see Red ....

Baby Member(留言版初哥)
    It's a little uncertain times with rising costs etc and perhaps waiting it out and see what the new year holds!

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by rojerramjet View Post
    Go see Red ....
    Lol..

Stalkingbutler
    It’s not a huge risk financially. Biggest risk would be signing up for a long lease and having to break that if things didn’t pan out. Biggest on going challenge would be staffing.

Best locations? I think the Sunshine Coast is begging for a decent shop.

I’d say go for it. Yes it’s challenging times economically but that can be the best time to move forward.

This forum is ripe for suggestions for what the current shops aren’t offering.

So fill the void.

Senior Member(無間使者)
    I am looking at a few options around Woolloongabba/East Brisbane/Kangaroo Point.

Here is my list of must haves gleaned from reading countless posts from experienced punters:

- separate rooms with proper walls
    - larger rooms
    - good sized tables
    - very clean
    - sheets and towels changed each booking
    - shower
    - free parking and easy parking
    - private entry
    - experienced masseuses who know how to massage
    - preferably a younger cohort
    - polite, pleasant, interested
    - competitive pricing
    - no phone useage during massage
    - provide service for entire time paid for
    - prompt reply to enquiries

Add others I may have missed

Senior Member(無間使者)
    Quote Originally Posted by AChigurh View Post
    - Daily roster
    - reliable booking process and/or receptionist with appropriate English language skills
    Yes good points - thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12